ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympics Wrestling - Aug 5-11

It will Stream on Peacock
Yeah--NBC hasn't posted the full schedule yet--I expect the medal rounds may make TV somewhere too--I'll add that info to the OP here as it comes in--maybe also to my gCal.

Thanks to the invisible hand of mods who keep making my thread title more specific. At this rate I expect by tomorrow it will include a full preview of the competitors ala @zzs006 included, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
Snyder at 3 is in much better position than the 2/7. At least if you lose the semi, you are guaranteed repechage. If Snyder wins semi, either Taz or Sadulaev are out. And the winner will have an absolute battle BEFORE they face Snyder on very little rest as the matches are rapid-fire between quarters and semis.

It’s based on a formula and there are no more tournaments that play into that formula before the games.

Obviously athletes pulling out could change that.
Which is probably why Sadulaev is included now based on the points he has. I haven't heard any update on whether he's likely to be there. He did win Russian Nationals though.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Which is probably why Sadulaev is included now based on the points he has. I haven't heard any update on whether he's likely to be there. He did win Russian Nationals though.
Not picking on you, just the general notion of "will the Russians get to go?".

Russia has never been punished for its systemic doping, including doping at the Paralympics (!) and gaming the testing labs.

And "AIN" was created out of thin air to shield Russian athletes from international controversies.

So does anyone seriously think the corruptocrats at IOC will ban Russia now?

Sadulaev is going unless he chooses otherwise.

Not picking on you, just the general notion of "will the Russians get to go?".

Russia has never been punished for its systemic doping, including doping at the Paralympics (!) and gaming the testing labs.

And "AIN" was created out of thin air to shield Russian athletes from international controversies.

So does anyone seriously think the corruptocrats at IOC will ban Russia now?

Sadulaev is going unless he chooses otherwise.
It’s not banning Russia though. Other Russian and Belarusian athletes are allowed under the AIN flag (which I agree is a joke). It was his outward show of support for the offensive that got him banned by UWW (and likewise the IOC).

Also I’m not sure whether Russia even qualified the weight?

What's going on with RBY, haven't heard anything about him since pan ams? Has he been training in State College or Mexico, is he planning on competing in any international events, and does anybody know how hard the weight cut is for him?

What are the general expectations for him at the Olympics, think he'll make it to the finals? Will we see a RBY vs Lee or is that not a very likely chance? I don't know where they are said to be seeded.

Here are the projected Top 8 seeds per: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12619341-2024-olympic-wrestling-seeds-mens-freestyle

57 Kilograms
  1. Stevan Micic, SRB
  2. Rei Higuchi, JPN
  3. Arsen Harutyunyan, ARM
  4. Zelimkhan Abakarov, ALB
  5. Aman Sherawat, IND
  6. Zaur Uguev, AIN (RUS)
  7. Wanhao Zou, CHN
  8. Gulomjon Abdullaev, UZB
65 Kilograms
  1. Vazgen Tevanyan, ARM
  2. Rahman Amouzad, IRI
  3. Ismail Musukaev, HUN
  4. Sebastian Rivera, PUR
  5. Shamil Mamedov, AIN (RUS)
  6. Haji Aliyev, AZE
  7. Islam Dudaev, ALB
  8. Tulga Tumur-Ochir, MGL
74 Kilograms
  1. Kyle Dake, USA
  2. Zaubek Sidakov, AIN (RUS)
  3. Turan Bayramov, AZE
  4. Georgios Kougioumtsidis, GRE
  5. Dachi Takatani, JPN
  6. Kehtik Tsabolov, SRB
  7. Tajmuraz Salkazanov, SVK
  8. Bacar Ndum, GBS
86 Kilograms
  1. Azamat Dauletbekov, KAZ
  2. Hassan Yazdani, IRI
  3. Myles Amine, SMR
  4. Javrail Shapiev, UZB
  5. Magomed Ramazanov, BUL
  6. Byambasurengiin Bat-Erdene, MGL
  7. Dauren Kurugliev, GRE
  8. Hayato Ishiguro, JPN
97 Kilograms
  1. Magomedkhan Magomedov, AZE
  2. Akhmed Tazhudinov, BRN
  3. Kyle Snyder, USA
  4. Ibrahim Ciftci, TUR
  5. Givi Matcharashvili, GEO
  6. Erik Thiele. GER
  7. Abdulrashid Sadulaev, AIN (RUS)
  8. Alisher Yergali, KAZ
125 Kilograms
  1. Amir Hossein Zare, IRI
  2. Geno Petriashvili, GEO
  3. Mason Parris, USA
  4. Taha Akgul, TUR
  5. Daniel Ligeti, HUN
  6. Giorgi Meshvildshvili, AZE
  7. Abdulla Kurbanov, AIN (RUS)
  8. Zhiwei Deng, CHN

"How Are Olympic Wrestling Seeds Determined?

It's important to understand how these seeds were set because they differ largely from how seeds are determined in the American wrestling system. Rather than seeding by head-to-head matchups and results (like in America), United World Wrestling uses ranking points earned annually by individual wrestlers to determine the top 8 Olympic seeds. Wrestlers can earn these rankings (or seeding) points at the World Championships, Continental Championships, or two different Ranking Series events. Wrestlers at the Olympics are then seeded by their points. This system encourages the best wrestlers to participate in the events UWW puts on throughout the year. Finally, any of the above seeds can change only if a seeded wrestler does not attend the Olympic Games."

Reactions: danoftw
It’s not banning Russia though. Other Russian and Belarusian athletes are allowed under the AIN flag (which I agree is a joke). It was his outward show of support for the offensive that got him banned by UWW (and likewise the IOC).

To me, it's really strange to ban a single athlete for supporting his country's actions. If what that country is doing is that bad, the whole team should be banned.

Personally, I don't agree with banning athletes for political reasons. What if the USA got banned from Athens for the Iraq invasion? Or Israel and Palestine for 10/7 and the bombing of Gaza? IMO, we should keep bans to reasons that relate to the sport (PEDs) or individual criminal behavior.

What's going on with RBY, haven't heard anything about him since pan ams? Has he been training in State College or Mexico, is he planning on competing in any international events, and does anybody know how hard the weight cut is for him?

What are the general expectations for him at the Olympics, think he'll make it to the finals? Will we see a RBY vs Lee or is that not a very likely chance? I don't know where they are said to be seeded.
He’s training in State College. He has not competed since Pan-Ams. It’s not an impossible cut but it’s not one you’d want to make more than you have to.

Expectations are really hard to say because he has no notable freestyle results in the senior level. Neither is seeded.

He’s training in State College. He has not competed since Pan-Ams. It’s not an impossible cut but it’s not one you’d want to make more than you have to.

Expectations are really hard to say because he has no notable freestyle results in the senior level. Neither is seeded.
He didn't look great at Pan Ams against poor competition, but that may just be a style thing. Until he wrestles someone actually good, we won't know. Wouldn't be shocked to see him contend for a medal or get 10-0'd r1 and be done.

Boy are the 57kg, 65kg, and 86kg fields gonna be surprised when the unseeded USA wrestlers take the mat. I'm sure the seeded guys know the real hierarchy based on film.

Boy are the 57kg, 65kg, and 86kg fields gonna be surprised when the unseeded USA wrestlers take the mat. I'm sure the seeded guys know the real hierarchy based on film.
I think the field knows that with a small handful of exceptions the seeding is meaningless. I don't know why they even bother at this point, given that it's basically an award for showing up to more tournaments than your competitors. I guess it does give them an opportunity to separate the two most obvious top seeds, but that's still contingent on those guys showing up to enough tournaments.

I think the field also knows that the US wrestlers are all dangerous and have the best gas tanks.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Here are the projected Top 8 seeds per: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12619341-2024-olympic-wrestling-seeds-mens-freestyle

57 Kilograms
  1. Stevan Micic, SRB
  2. Rei Higuchi, JPN
  3. Arsen Harutyunyan, ARM
  4. Zelimkhan Abakarov, ALB
  5. Aman Sherawat, IND
  6. Zaur Uguev, AIN (RUS)
  7. Wanhao Zou, CHN
  8. Gulomjon Abdullaev, UZB
65 Kilograms
  1. Vazgen Tevanyan, ARM
  2. Rahman Amouzad, IRI
  3. Ismail Musukaev, HUN
  4. Sebastian Rivera, PUR
  5. Shamil Mamedov, AIN (RUS)
  6. Haji Aliyev, AZE
  7. Islam Dudaev, ALB
  8. Tulga Tumur-Ochir, MGL
74 Kilograms
  1. Kyle Dake, USA
  2. Zaubek Sidakov, AIN (RUS)
  3. Turan Bayramov, AZE
  4. Georgios Kougioumtsidis, GRE
  5. Dachi Takatani, JPN
  6. Kehtik Tsabolov, SRB
  7. Tajmuraz Salkazanov, SVK
  8. Bacar Ndum, GBS
86 Kilograms
  1. Azamat Dauletbekov, KAZ
  2. Hassan Yazdani, IRI
  3. Myles Amine, SMR
  4. Javrail Shapiev, UZB
  5. Magomed Ramazanov, BUL
  6. Byambasurengiin Bat-Erdene, MGL
  7. Dauren Kurugliev, GRE
  8. Hayato Ishiguro, JPN
97 Kilograms
  1. Magomedkhan Magomedov, AZE
  2. Akhmed Tazhudinov, BRN
  3. Kyle Snyder, USA
  4. Ibrahim Ciftci, TUR
  5. Givi Matcharashvili, GEO
  6. Erik Thiele. GER
  7. Abdulrashid Sadulaev, AIN (RUS)
  8. Alisher Yergali, KAZ
125 Kilograms
  1. Amir Hossein Zare, IRI
  2. Geno Petriashvili, GEO
  3. Mason Parris, USA
  4. Taha Akgul, TUR
  5. Daniel Ligeti, HUN
  6. Giorgi Meshvildshvili, AZE
  7. Abdulla Kurbanov, AIN (RUS)
  8. Zhiwei Deng, CHN

"How Are Olympic Wrestling Seeds Determined?

It's important to understand how these seeds were set because they differ largely from how seeds are determined in the American wrestling system. Rather than seeding by head-to-head matchups and results (like in America), United World Wrestling uses ranking points earned annually by individual wrestlers to determine the top 8 Olympic seeds. Wrestlers can earn these rankings (or seeding) points at the World Championships, Continental Championships, or two different Ranking Series events. Wrestlers at the Olympics are then seeded by their points. This system encourages the best wrestlers to participate in the events UWW puts on throughout the year. Finally, any of the above seeds can change only if a seeded wrestler does not attend the Olympic Games."
Some of those names makes me glad Ellis Island simplified some immigrants names when they came over.

I hear you, but if their Russian masters tell them Sadulaev is in, UWW and IOC will fold like a cheap tent.

Russia did qualify all 6 weights.

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT