ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Is everyone prepared for Willie to go off this week? Unfortunate, as I really like the dude, but when he gets spun up like this, it at times gets tiring for me, and most of those times it has been directed at Iowa. As for the event logistics a lot of people said it was chaos. Unacceptable.

PS - the dude who heckled JB was wearing a HWC jersey. Prove me wrong ;-/

Reactions: Nitlion1986
Is everyone prepared for Willie to go off this week? Unfortunate, as I really like the dude, but when he gets spun up like this, it at times gets tiring for me, and most of those times it has been directed at Iowa. As for the event logistics a lot of people said it was chaos. Unacceptable.

Already put the Jackwagon on ignore. He needs some rehabilitation.

Willie did a podcast with Basch.. His points are valid the problem is tweets never convey everything someone means..

That must have been Bobby Telford stopping by to recruit Forrest and Blaze.

Willie did a podcast with Basch.. His points are valid the problem is tweets never convey everything someone means..
My guess is instead of rattling on about bullshyt he had time to organize his thoughts and present his thoughts in a manner that doesn't make him sound idiotic. His behavior post JB v Nolf made Manning appear calm, grown-up and complicated in thought.

Reactions: Ski
Worst part of the day is not being able to see all mat scores and time in arena.
All weekend I wondered why the contestants and scores were not on the electronic ribbon. Two seasons from now during Saturday and Sunday of the Big10, championships that ribbon will have mat scores. Do not know if it was PSU or the USA wrestling committee, but communication with fans/audience was poor.

Reactions: Sleepylion
Random thoughts:

I found it a fantastic event. My primary focus was Men's Free Style. I was very impressed with the quality of the WFS. Was my first real experience with GR, it was like baseball to me 90% boring but that 10% with some of those throws...pretty fun.

I liked the flow. Wrestlers entered one side and left the opposite (from my perspective). It built anticipation.

Aaron Brooks.

I wish Mark Hall got more of a send off. Took us a few seconds to realize it happened on our side. He deserved more.

The future is so bright. Loved seeing the HS kids and young Nittany Lions go with the very best. The fact that some of these kids made the team and get to train with the Champs, you can't buy that experience.
I agree about Marky's send-off. My son had to show me on social media that he left his shoes on the mat. We heard the applause, but they were down on Mat 4, we were by Mat 2, and by the time we saw what was going on, it was over. Wish he would have gotten a send-off like J'Den.

I agree about Marky's send-off. My son had to show me on social media that he left his shoes on the mat. We heard the applause, but they were down on Mat 4, we were by Mat 2, and by the time we saw what was going on, it was over. Wish he would have gotten a send-off like J'Den.
Yeah he was sitting on the edge of the mat in tears taking off his shoes and they were already announcing the next wrestlers on Mat 4. It was right out in front of us and everyone was on their feet at that end but you could tell that most of the arena was unaware.

As I've learned many times over the years, never say/text/email/tweet anything when your emotions are triggered. You'll always regret it.
Ha! Back around 2005 I found myself in a NYC court room answering questions about my e-mails . . . some of them 5 years old. Very unpleasant. I learned the Joe Friday rule: “Just the facts.”

Reactions: Ski
Ha! Back around 2005 I found myself in a NYC court room answering questions about my e-mails . . . some of them 5 years old. Very unpleasant. I learned the Joe Friday rule: “Just the facts.”
I'd hate to be you. God love ya.

My company sued another company once for patent infringement. In the discovery phase, the relevant emails from my boss and I were required to be sent to the defendant. My boss was the CEO, so our General Counsel had the case and he was required to go through all the emails for relevancy. One day we both get a scathing email from him landing into us for some of our emails. Apparently he didn't appreciate the unkind words we had about his style and disposition over the years. Our next meeting was wierd to say the least. I always think of that before hitting send on an email or text, and it's been 15 years.

Man, Mirasola hanging with Mr Brooks. Impressive.
Funny post from an Ohio State fan after seeing Mirasola battle AB:

“That was mildly disturbing to watch. If I could I would insert the "he can't keep getting away with this" meme here.

Anyway, if they can redshirt Mirasola and wrestle Starocci this year at 197 that likely gives them 5 straight years of title contention at the weight. Seems like a no-brainer to me.”

Funny post from an Ohio State fan after seeing Mirasola battle AB:

“That was mildly disturbing to watch. If I could I would insert the "he can't keep getting away with this" meme here.

Anyway, if they can redshirt Mirasola and wrestle Starocci this year at 197 that likely gives them 5 straight years of title contention at the weight. Seems like a no-brainer to me.”
LOL hey buckeye fan its called thinking ahead,you better tell tom!!

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I would be very curious to know what Yazdani's reaction was to the trial results. Anyone see any posts?
I was tweeting w/ that guy a little the other day. He says Yazdani is pretty reclusive--trains at home in his small town, etc. So, not sure.

Reactions: diggerpup
This Iranian guy has a good point. The similar sequence in the 1st period of match 1 where AB almost threw DT changed everything, IMO--especially DT's confidence.

In the first match Aaron put an undertook in and was jamming DT backwards and DT confidently went to clear his arm. The arm wouldn't come down through. To me that was the first sign DT was in trouble. The second sign was the look on his face as he looked to the corner walking back to center shortly after the first sign.

Mr. "Grown Ass Man Strength" gained some points from me for this. Missed it live.

I saw this live and was pretty surprised by it. Always thought of Dom as sort of a d*ck after the comments versus AC. But he literally ran across the mat, hopped off the platform and caught up to Kerk and they walked and talked and Dom raised his hand. Pretty good show of class.

I wanted to read this whole thread before I commented on this past weekend. WOW...what incredible wrestling!! As many have said, not the best run tournament I've ever been to, bad locations of floor score boards and the drop down center board should have had current matches and on deck assignments displayed.
Burroughs and Manning did nothing to tamp down the crowd reactions and Manning threw gas on the fire with his blowing kisses to the crowd after the MM match. Burroughs would do well to remember the old adage, "To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing."
Cox and Spencer got quite the ovation by the "hostile" Penn State crowd I thought.
I saw a lot of comments on freestyle rules, if you think they're bad now, you didn't watch freestyle before the UWW!!
Kennedy Blades and Helen Maroulis were outstanding, hope our women's team can challenge the Japanese.
PS. If anyone thought the crowd was rude or out of hand, you've never been to a sporting event in Philly...and guess what's in Philly next year?!?!

I wanted to read this whole thread before I commented on this past weekend. WOW...what incredible wrestling!! As many have said, not the best run tournament I've ever been to, bad locations of floor score boards and the drop down center board should have had current matches and on deck assignments displayed.
Burroughs and Manning did nothing to tamp down the crowd reactions and Manning threw gas on the fire with his blowing kisses to the crowd after the MM match. Burroughs would do well to remember the old adage, "To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing."
Cox and Spencer got quite the ovation by the "hostile" Penn State crowd I thought.
I saw a lot of comments on freestyle rules, if you think they're bad now, you didn't watch freestyle before the UWW!!
Kennedy Blades and Helen Maroulis were outstanding, hope our women's team can challenge the Japanese.
PS. If anyone thought the crowd was rude or out of hand, you've never been to a sporting event in Philly...and guess what's in Philly next year?!?!
I'm not a big fan of women's wrestling, but Kennedy Blades definitely made me a fan of her. She's got the potential to be the transformational Jordan/Gretzky/Pele type superstar who personally changes a sport and brings a whole new audience to it. I'll make an effort to watch for her when the Olympics roll around.

I'm not a big fan of women's wrestling, but Kennedy Blades definitely made me a fan of her. She's got the potential to be the transformational Jordan/Gretzky/Pele type superstar who personally changes a sport and brings a whole new audience to it. I'll make an effort to watch for her when the Olympics roll around.
She is very fun to watch. I also think she has the ability to add additional strength to her repertoire, making her that much more dangerous moving forward in her career.

Are you saying this because of her personality or the style she wrestles ? Bc the women she beat made 9 straight world teams (sat out a year to have twins) and won 10 medals .accomplishment wise it ll take a decade and some good health and luck for Blades to even match that. Gray is probably a top 5 American wrestler male or female ever and idk if she even moved the needle a little when it comes to being transformational

Are you saying this because of her personality or the style she wrestles ? Bc the women she beat made 9 straight world teams (sat out a year to have twins) and won 10 medals .accomplishment wise it ll take a decade and some good health and luck for Blades to even match that. Gray is probably a top 5 American wrestler male or female ever and idk if she even moved the needle a little when it comes to being transformational
Transformational requires more than simple greatness. That thing we all refer to as the "it" factor. The Blades girl was entertaining as hell to watch.

Oh yeah. Top 5 greatest American wrestler? Most decorated maybe. Most accomplished maybe. She is as much Top 5 greatest American wrestler as Caitlin Clark is Top 5 American basketball player.

Yeah, and Elor not only has a head start on Blades, but a lower floor. I love the way Blades wrestles, but we've seen she needs more strength to overcome skilled technical wrestlers that also possess brute strength. Her beating Adeline is a great sign on that front, though.

I thought that was fascinating when the "horrible Penn State tribalism scumbag" fans, gave a standing ovation to Spencer Lee. The very same Spencer Lee who spurned Penn State for Iowa, and led Iowa to a national championship over Penn State, and became the lead recruiter that helped Iowa rebuild themselves to get back to the top.

Willie must have been busy and missed that.

Yeah, and Elor not only has a head start on Blades, but a lower floor. I love the way Blades wrestles, but we've seen she needs more strength to overcome skilled technical wrestlers that also possess brute strength. Her beating Adeline is a great sign on that front, though.
My favorite part was her throwing up before she left the floor after her 1st of 2 finals.

Reactions: 1AA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT