ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Agreed. I was thinking that earlier. DT was the foundation Cael used to build this dynasty. From scrawny kid to Olympic champ at 86 kilos. What a highlight reel.
Not diminishing DT contributions but Valimont, Molinaro, and Wright were as much the foundation because they stayed and Ruth stayed committed as an incoming freshman. Bubba bolted or was bolted as Taylor came in with Cael as did Cyler Sanderson. DT was there and on the ground floor for sure and his style of wrestling excited the fans and that was the accelerant that caught fire. Cyler and Frank were on that first squad then came everyone else after Cyler graduated.

Nice interview with Zain. As Rob Koll once said, “Zain has always been one of the good guys in the sport.” Just a class act. Does anybody know what it will take for him to qualify the weight in Turkey? He looked fantastic this week. It would be incredible to see him close out his storied career on top.
Or as it was spelled by NBC, "Zane"

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Not diminishing DT contributions but Valimont, Molinaro, and Wright were as much the foundation because they stayed and Ruth stayed committed as an incoming freshman. Bubba bolted or was bolted as Taylor came in with Cael as did Cyler Sanderson. DT was there and on the ground floor for sure and his style of wrestling excited the fans and that was the accelerant that caught fire. Cyler and Frank were on that first squad then came everyone else after Cyler graduated.
All true but DT was the neon sign that said, "step right up and be a part of something special" to recruits. I loved all the guys you mentioned, especially Quentin, but DT had the "IT" factor that cannot be created only enjoyed. Like Tiger in golf. Win or lose, you know you're watching greatness.

I’ll see what I can dig up. Going to be tough but Zain looked good especially against Lee. Spencer looked really good I thought. I’m going on record and say they qualify but it’s going to be very very tough. I do think we have the 2 best guys to do it though. I wouldn’t be near as sure with anyone else wrestling at the last chance
We were talking the same subject at dinner yesterday. Obviously nothing is easy when so many great athletes are assembled and your desired minimal goal is go finish top 3. Spencer and Zain are both legitimate Olympic medal contenders at their weights though, so I believe the odds are good they both succeed.

Last edited:
Responding to Ian and PennState1985. Vallimont staying was a one year thing and he definitely benefited from that singular year of training with CC&C. However I would not include him into the foundation conversation, he was here one year. Frank Molinero, Quentin and Eddie were most definitely the foundation CC&C built their kingdom upon. DT is special though. DT is the magic ingredient that had never previously been in a PSU wrestling room and DT is the one who ignited the life flame. Put everything else together and leave David in Ames, or put him in Columbus, or Iowa City or Ithaca and none of those first four team championships happens. Cael is the architect, the engineer and director, but DT is the magical unicorn whose presence, attitude and expectations brought to life the magical wrestling kingdom that exists in Happy Valley today.

Last edited:
Role players are not a foundation. (EDIT: Clarifying that Q Wright, Frank the Tank & Easy Ed Ruth are definitely not "role players"... )

There was a decade-plus of hot shot HS recruits who wanted to be the “next David Taylor”.

If you remove DT’s existence, the current PSU / NLWC empire looks much different even with Cael Sanderson.

Last edited:
Responding to Ian and PennState1985. Vallimont staying was a one year thing and he definitely benefited from that singular year of training with CC&C. However I would not include him into the foundation conversation, he was here one year. Frank Molinero, Quentin and Eddie were most definitely the foundation CC&C built their kingdom upon. DT is special though. DT is the magic ingredient that had never previously been in a PSU wrestling room and DT is the one who ignited the life flame. Put everything else together and leave David in Ames, or put him in Columbus, or Iowa City or Ithaca and none of those first four team championships happens. Cael is the architect, the engineer and director, but DT is the magical unicorn whose presence, attitude and expectations brought to life the magical wrestling kingdom that exists in Happy Valley today.
Are you watching a children's animated movie right now? :p

I have no interest in women’s sports, it’s a less good version of the male counterpart.

Believe it or not many people look at it that way , because if women watched these events in similar numbers as men we wouldn’t even be having this conversation .
Totally fine, don't watch if you don't like it. I just don't think they should be told to "stick to ribbon dancing."

I wouldn't worry too much about David. Fact is, he's got 3 little girls and a phenomenal wife. His priority, his family, is far bigger than wrestling. David has the world by the tail.
Not to mention he reached his dreams with an Olympic gold he has accomplished everything and more just like he said on his podcast. He's such a great ambassador for the sport of wrestling and for the next generation or two of young athletes becoming wrestlers
I think it's amazing how similar Cael and DT are. They talk similar they look similar. Same attitude and same drive. It's like Cael.created a mini me lol. Not a bad problem to have at PSU

Of course attendance was terrible. They priced almost everyone out of going and dare I say every casual fan. The ticket prices were set in a range that most people will not tolerate and when you consider the price hotels were charging they eliminated most of those with more than 3 hour drive.

I'm a pretty big fan of wrestling and could have afforded this event but I don't like to pay for things when I feel like Im being ripped-off, especially when I have other options.
From what I'm hearing on this forum, Greco live is the bomb compared to watching on TV.

I don't like to pay for things when I feel like I'm being ripped-off, especially when I have other options.
This why I will most likely never attend another NCAA tournament. The decision was made to ti reduce school allotments to release more tickets to "the general public." In reality, this meant Ticketmaster and their ilk, who swooped in with their computer programs and scooped up most of the tickets. Within minutes, the face value tripled or more.

Reactions: dbldoofus
Role players are not a foundation.

There was a decade-plus of hot shot HS recruits who wanted to be the “next David Taylor”.

If you remove DT’s existence, the current PSU / NLWC empire looks much different even with Cael Sanderson.
No doubt that David elevated the program. Ed, Q, and Frank combined for 6 titles and 8 finals appearances. If those are role players ... Sounds more like a foundation to me.

Not to mention he reached his dreams with an Olympic gold he has accomplished everything and more just like he said on his podcast. He's such a great ambassador for the sport of wrestling and for the next generation or two of young athletes becoming wrestlers

I think it's amazing how similar Cael and DT are. They talk similar they look similar. Same attitude and same drive. It's like Cael.created a mini me lol. Not a bad problem to have at PSU
Cael has 1/50th the ego of DT and about 20 times the dry humor.

No doubt that David elevated the program. Ed, Q, and Frank combined for 6 titles and 8 finals appearances. If those are role players ... Sounds more like a foundation to me.
I was specifically referencing the wrestlers who were only there Cael’s first season - not Ruth, Tank or Q.

[
What a bullsh&t, sexist remark. Yeah, back in the kitchen. Right? Jesus, get a clue dude.

I'll watch the women wrestle, just as I watch women in Olympic Lifting. Lydia Valentin was fun to watch as is Mattie Rogers and Giulia Imperio.

If it grows organically, so be it. However, nobody should be shamed with tired 1970's Virginia Slims advertising because they don't like it. You should know phrases like "back to the kitchen" originated with 1930's Big Tobacco and the author of the locus classicus "Propaganda", Edward Bernays. He called ciggies "torches of freedom" (to get lung cancer or the COPD that killed my Aunt, nice and slow) And no wrestling isn't smoking, but understand your reflexive indignation has a pedigree, and was put to an insidious purpose. I can imagine that for some people such as me, female figure skaters are the only genuine article, men simply don't have the ethereal quality of grace. Not everything is a moral crusade that requires virtue signaling. See Heckling.

My guess is that there's an upper bound on it and it's not "sexism". It's my niece's reaction when she realized cauliflower ear is an occupational hazard. She has no use for wrestling, male or female. "ieewww Gross".

As an aside, "sexism" is sitting across from a vicious HR Karenbot and being told that you aren't part of a "protected class" or having companies that limit grants, opportunities and programs to women only or penalizing the hiring of men, not expressing a distaste for women's wrestling. Do farriers deal with vicious HR Karenbots? You should if you don't.

Now can we discuss how to make boy's field hockey a thing, or maybe to just stop treating them like they are defective girls?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT