ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Facilities are an excuse. No playoff appearances and not the strongest record of putting kids into the NFL.
No playoff appearances like in 2016 when we won the B1G but Ohio State went to the playoffs and Clemson absolutely pounded them. I don't know that getting to the playoffs every few years and always getting embarrassed by Clemson is a good sell to kids.

Also, Penn State has put guys in the NFL at a rate that is way better than our recruiting rankings would suggest. One source I saw had Penn State as a top 10 Power 5 school on producing NFL players relative to their recruiting rankings which was better than Ohio State, Clemson, and Alabama (all in the top 20 by this measure). Sure, they had more total get to the NFL but when your recruiting classes were loaded with 4 and 5 star kids then you should put even more in the league.

No playoff appearances like in 2016 when we won the B1G but Ohio State went to the playoffs and Clemson absolutely pounded them. I don't know that getting to the playoffs every few years and always getting embarrassed by Clemson is a good sell to kids.

Also, Penn State has put guys in the NFL at a rate that is way better than our recruiting rankings would suggest. One source I saw had Penn State as a top 10 Power 5 school on producing NFL players relative to their recruiting rankings which was better than Ohio State, Clemson, and Alabama (all in the top 20 by this measure). Sure, they had more total get to the NFL but when your recruiting classes were loaded with 4 and 5 star kids then you should put even more in the league.

Yeah, no playoffs.

As for putting kids in the NFL, prospects aren't getting that granular. They see first, maybe second rounders, and maybe totals. Bama, Clemso, and OSU has multiples; PSU don't. And they ain't looking at how many stars those guys had. If Franklin & Co are trying to use that approach, which I highly doubt, that's another reason PSU might not be recruiting at a higher level.

Last edited:
The recruits don’t care why we lost in 2016 and I do believe they consider getting to playoffs and losing better than not getting in.
Three times in six years isn’t every few years

Reactions: TheGLOV
I hope your not posting at me. I’ve been consistently defending Franklin since he got here. Including after losses. I just prefer to be honest about where we stand with recruiting
Then be patient. We are in very good position with a large number of difference makers. It may take some time before they are officially on board. I can wait.

Hiring three former PSU players as GA's / analysts will help with recruiting since they know what it's like to be penn state football players.

Haven't seen his name posted in here. Composite 4* RB from Florida - could be a Seider special? Things seem to be trending elsewhere with Henderson/Pryor but Seider/Franklin will no doubt find a RB if they want one.

I am very disappointed that we lost the TE from FL. His video warrants a much better rating than 3 stars. I imagine he will wind up being a mid level 4 star. He will get a nice bump eventually as did Wingo last year. Tough to hang onto FL kids in the first place. If Seider and Franklin offered him, chances are he is pretty good.

Yeah, no playoffs.

As for putting kids in the NFL, prospects aren't getting that granular. They see first, maybe second rounders, and maybe totals. Bama, Clemso, and OSU has multiples; PSU don't. And they ain't looking at how many stars those guys had. If Franklin & Co are trying to use that approach, which I highly doubt, that's another reason PSU might not be recruiting at a higher level.
You have a valid point that recruits and their parents are not thinking that granularly about the draft but you would think that they should. It makes a big difference for schools like Florida State that have brought in on average close to top 5 recruiting classes but their on the field performance has been somewhat embarrassing and too few of those elite recruits are getting drafted. Then you have schools like Penn State who lately have been putting kids into the NFL at about the same rate with only top 25 recruiting over that timeframe (or worse during post-sanction years).

Schools like Ohio State and Alabama look like they are crushing the NFL draft but really schools like PSU and Wisconsin are outperforming them in terms of the talent they bring in relative to the number getting drafted.

39f2dda679235f3f817af37d31ddd103.jpg

The pride of West Scranton pre McMoxie. Growing up nearby, I'm well aware of his past. However, the sports bars around Scranton and surrounding areas that have jerseys hanging of past greats never have his. I wonder why? ;) That being said, the kid's a take no doubt if he decides on PSU.

Last edited:
Yesterday Wiltfong joined the Questionable crystal balls for Williams. In my opinion this is great news. We will likely get an official and have a chance to land him.

Not sure if this article was shared here. Not really anything new in it, but an interesting headline, "Can Penn State make push for top QB prospect?"
https://247sports.com/Article/Penn-...-Caleb-Williams-Christian-Veilleux-144506897/

For PSU to make the next step, CFP, this is the type of QB they will need.

Reactions: cjflyfish
You realize that both Sean Clifford and Ta’Quan Roberson were both higher rated recruits than Joe Burrow? Clifford actually was 100 spots higher and had better offers than Burrow.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
You realize that both Sean Clifford and Ta’Quan Roberson were both higher rated recruits than Joe Burrow? Clifford actually was 100 spots higher and had better offers than Burrow.
What’s your point other than playing “gotcha”? Trevor Lawrence was a 5 star Qb who has played in the past 2 national titles. Joe Burrow was a good story. Every year there’s a player that outplays his ranking. But they’re more the exception than the rule. It’s undeniable that PSU’s playoff chances increase with a QB the caliber of a Caleb Williams. If they didn’t, the staff wouldn’t waste their time recruiting him so hard

So either Clifford or Robertson will put up numbers better than Burrow's of last season and lead PSU to a national championship. Good to know.

Guys like Joe Burrow make a great story. But he is a statistical outlier.

An elite QB could get PSU over the hump with just the talent we have right now. Plus just his presence on the roster would encourage other elite talent to come to PSU as well.

I love the kids we have and I'd still expect there to be a true competition to be the starter. But it would be foolish to not constantly look to upgrade -- at every position, not just QB.

What we don't know is what the real experts (people who make their millions as successful college football coaches) would have rated them.

Guys like Joe Burrow make a great story. But he is a statistical outlier.

An elite QB could get PSU over the hump with just the talent we have right now. Plus just his presence on the roster would encourage other elite talent to come to PSU as well.

I love the kids we have and I'd still expect there to be a true competition to be the starter. But it would be foolish to not constantly look to upgrade -- at every position, not just QB.

Hang on, I need to understand this further. So, we do not have an elite QB on our roster currently? How do you know this? We have 4 star QBs on our roster and our starting QB was a sophomore last year and played moderately well in a sh*tty passing offense? Actually, let me start with this question as it's foundational to your point:

Is Sean Clifford capable of getting us to the playoffs ie is he capable of being "elite?" I guess that would be a big fat NO from you based on his sophomore campaign where he had receivers dropping the ball everywhere, the offensive line giving up a ton of sacks and a coordinator committed to injuring him by giving him multiple rushing attempts up the middle. In fact, he has proven how "non-elite" he is to you so much so that a player, who has never played a college game, is a MUST get for us if we are ever going to get to the promise land? Basically, Williams is better than Clifford presently?

Oh okay, maybe you are suggesting that you must be a 5 star QB to get your team to the playoffs, I see. Fromm/Mayfield/DeSean Watson say Hi just to name a few.

Clifford and really any other 4 star(we are talking about BIG TIME QB's here) are more than capable of getting their respective teams to the playoffs assuming the are developed, the coaches put a good plan together to exacerbate their strengths and limit any weaknesses, the o-line blocks, and the receivers catch. You seem to think that if you don't have those things in place, simply inputting a 5 STAR!!!!OMG QB will do the trick. No way, no how.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
So either Clifford or Robertson will put up numbers better than Burrow's of last season and lead PSU to a national championship. Good to know.
Art, you know that is a totally foolish argument. No one knows exactly which 3 star QB will be the next Mahomes either. But that doesn't mean that the rankings are totally meaningless either. In aggregate they tell us more than single player rankings. Heck, the #1 recruit in the nation might have some probability of a career ending injury his freshman year but of course we still would like to land them.

Hang on, I need to understand this further. So, we do not have an elite QB on our roster currently? How do you know this? We have 4 star QBs on our roster and our starting QB was a sophomore last year and played moderately well in a sh*tty passing offense? Actually, let me start with this question as it's foundational to your point:

Is Sean Clifford capable of getting us to the playoffs ie is he capable of being "elite?" I guess that would be a big fat NO from you based on his sophomore campaign where he had receivers dropping the ball everywhere, the offensive line giving up a ton of sacks and a coordinator committed to injuring him by giving him multiple rushing attempts up the middle. In fact, he has proven how "non-elite" he is to you so much so that a player, who has never played a college game, is a MUST get for us if we are ever going to get to the promise land? Basically, Williams is better than Clifford presently?

Oh okay, maybe you are suggesting that you must be a 5 star QB to get your team to the playoffs, I see. Fromm/Mayfield/DeSean Watson say Hi just to name a few.

Clifford and really any other 4 star(we are talking about BIG TIME QB's here) are more than capable of getting their respective teams to the playoffs assuming the are developed, the coaches put a good plan together to exacerbate their strengths and limit any weaknesses, the o-line blocks, and the receivers catch. You seem to think that if you don't have those things in place, simply inputting a 5 STAR!!!!OMG QB will do the trick. No way, no how.
With all due respect, it seems that there are many words being put in MJG-90's mouth that he didn't actually say.

For example, he did say he would still expect a competition regardless of who is recruited.

Otherwise, it is back to the debate that arises every single cycle: the value of ratings (or lack thereof).

The ranking debate is essentially resolved when realizing that whereas of course not every 5-star pans out and many lower-ranked recruits overperform their high school ranking, that nevertheless a higher percentage of 5-stars are expected to become impactful college players than 3 stars. It is not a guarantee, and rankings can be biased based on things such as camp attendance, but it is certainly not an indictment of any current player to hope for highly ranked recruits in the next cycle.

With all due respect, it seems that there are many words being put in MJG-90's mouth that he didn't actually say.

For example, he did say he would still expect a competition regardless of who is recruited.

Otherwise, it is back to the debate that arises every single cycle: the value of ratings (or lack thereof).

The ranking debate is essentially resolved when realizing that whereas of course not every 5-star pans out and many lower-ranked recruits overperform their high school ranking, that nevertheless a higher percentage of 5-stars are expected to become impactful college players than 3 stars. It is not a guarantee, and rankings can be biased based on things such as camp attendance, but it is certainly not an indictment of any current player to hope for highly ranked recruits in the next cycle.

Fair enough, I appreciate your candor. No doubt, 5 star QB's are awesome...they DO lead to greater expectations and high level recruiting. They can change the trajectory of a team. I think I just struggle with the concept that a 5 star QB is not on this roster is preventative to us achieving our goals. I happen to think Clifford is DAMN good and can be developed to be ELITE. Suggesting that an elite QB could get us over the hump right now with the talent and coaching in place is sort of an indictment on CLifford no? Maybe I am reading too much into it or putting words in someone's mouth, but does'nt that suggest we dont have an elite QB on our team currently?

I guess this all boils down to two thing: Recruiting Rankings(the subtle or not so subtle differences between 4star and 5star QBs) and is Sean Clifford elite, or could he be with elite offensive coaching?

Again, two groups on this board: Good players are preventing Great coaches from getting to the playoffs OR Great Players are being coached by Good coaches preventing us from getting to the playoffs. Got a bunch of new coaches this year, we'll see if they are great and we'll see if players like clifford take the next step I suppose.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT