ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting

Roar is exactly right. I don't really agree with restrictions on transfers, but the rules are in place because of the few who take it farther than just bending them. Kale_yeah above had a great suggestion for a transfer rule, but unfortunately that's not what it is now.

Bottom line now is you should know the rules and if you plan accordingly, you shouldn't really have an issue. The problem is that I've ran into a whole bunch of people over the years who DON'T know the rules or make decisions based on talking to some jabroni who thinks he knows the rules and then get indignant when they find out the reality of their situation.

The rule in place is that if you make the decision to transfer schools after the start of your sophomore season, you are ineligible to compete in the next postseason. Automatically. Not because the district said you are.

IF you have a legitimate reason for doing this, you can appeal and make your case. My guess is that if the reason IS legitimate, there isn't going to be an issue, you will win your case. If your reason is something you're coming up with just so you can skirt the existing rule in place, you're taking your chances.

Reactions: danoftw
The problem is that I've ran into a whole bunch of people over the years who DON'T know the rules or make decisions based on talking to some jabroni who thinks he knows the rules and then get indignant when they find out the reality of their situation.
Ha. A quote hanging in my office … "some people create their own storms, and get mad when it rains".

That might follow the 2021,2 National championship team of
125: Diakomihalis
133: Arujau
141: Saunders
149: Diakomihalis
157: Yapoujian
165: Ramirez
174: Foca
184: Dean
197: Darmstadt
Hwt: Fernandes

:)

With I all of the usual focus on Iowa, OSU and tOSU, I will agree with you on one thing, Cornel is quietly building a power house with elite wrestler's. Many of whom I would have loved to see in blue and white. I also agree they are a year or two away from being in the conversation for a NC. I guess that makes two things.

Reactions: tabenn
Roar is exactly right. I don't really agree with restrictions on transfers, but the rules are in place because of the few who take it farther than just bending them. Kale_yeah above had a great suggestion for a transfer rule, but unfortunately that's not what it is now.

Bottom line now is you should know the rules and if you plan accordingly, you shouldn't really have an issue. The problem is that I've ran into a whole bunch of people over the years who DON'T know the rules or make decisions based on talking to some jabroni who thinks he knows the rules and then get indignant when they find out the reality of their situation.

The rule in place is that if you make the decision to transfer schools after the start of your sophomore season, you are ineligible to compete in the next postseason. Automatically. Not because the district said you are.

IF you have a legitimate reason for doing this, you can appeal and make your case. My guess is that if the reason IS legitimate, there isn't going to be an issue, you will win your case. If your reason is something you're coming up with just so you can skirt the existing rule in place, you're taking your chances.
Objective if you do this you are ineligible, but can appeal. If PIAA believes (subjectivity) the story you can be granted an exemption. If PIAA does not believe (subjectivity) the story then tough.

In MN, after 9th grade, I think you get 1 transfer where you physically move residences with family. After that, you sit. But what happens is, the kids with enough money to transfer or move schools have enough for legal representation and argue with the MSHSL who eventually backs down.

Stillwater, MN had 5 new kids transfer/move-in from East Ridge, MN because the East Ridge coach got non-renewed. At least 4 of them are Top 10 kids in the state. Shakopee had multi-AA Blake West move in. Simley had 3 or 4 studs move in.

I get that people should have free choice and everything. I believe in that too. But when the point is that these wrestlers are supposed to represent a HIGH SCHOOL, it think it's ridiculous that they just leave and go to new schools. Call it what it is... It's club wrestling masquerading as HS Wrestling. All these kids go to clubs, their parents meet each other at tournaments/practices/etc. and they decide to go to the same schools. It's just not an accurate representation of HS's much anymore.

Some schools have year round programs. Coaches have open mat in the summer. Some of the coaches have freestyle programs and may travel to Super 32, Journeymen, Flonats etc., while others do nothing outside the highschool season. Some coaches were All American D1 kids and others not so accomplished. It can be a big disadvantage to be at one school as opposed to another. Practice partners can be a big factor as well. Tough to accept having that disadvantage when competing in sport that’s required a monumental level of commitment to reach the D1 prospect level.

Reactions: nitlion6
.., I get that people should have free choice and everything. I believe in that too. But when the point is that these wrestlers are supposed to represent a HIGH SCHOOL, it think it's ridiculous ...
Is representing a particular single high school and not another high school the point?
Why?
Why is representing a particular single high school more important than what a kid’s family thinks is best for the kid?
Why is representing a particular single high school more important than equality with non-athletes who are allowed to move to chase a better math curriculum?

Is representing a particular single high school and not another high school the point?
Why?
Why is representing a particular single high school more important than what a kid’s family thinks is best for the kid?
Why is representing a particular single high school more important than equality with non-athletes who are allowed to move to chase a better math curriculum?
Because that was my kid's spot, or because that kid was suppose to compete for us not them, or.....

Generally because some adult(s) becomes offended.

Reactions: Dogwelder
My HS had a legit D1 hoops prospect (1 yr behind me). But we were a rural smaller school, not good for his future prospects. So he transferred to a nearby AAAA school.

Problem was, he was the only one who moved -- his family didn't, and everyone knew it. The new coach found him housing and paid for it.

When the news broke, it ended badly for everyone. The coach got fired. The player lost his HS and NCAA eligibility, and he didn't have the grades to get admitted without hoops. He started making a lot of bad decisions that led to single mothers and prison.

He has since turned his life around and is doing well, but the path was regrettable -- and all consequences of an unethical coach.
Happens a lot

Erie Prep 2021.
[Kid:
> I am proud to announce I will be furthering my academic and athletics career at Iowa state university, I want to thank everyone who played apart in my life to help me get to this point in my career. my family, friends, coaches and school and most of all I will like to God]
Ten flat-out errors and at least three questionable style choices... SMH.

You would think for the important tweets, a kid would proofread or Grammarly or get someone else to proofread!

#kidisproudbutenglishteacherisnot

Get off my lawn! :)

Last edited:
Attempting to successfully transverse the Kevin Darkus path isn't a bad way to go.
ISU trying to conjure the past? Fruit of the Carr tree...path of Darkus from Cathedral Prep...I like it. David might end up as good or better than Nate, but I doubt Paniro will live up to Kevin's record...or could be as nice of a guy.

Reactions: nitlion6
They're convinced he won't fit into the lineup.
Just like Rutger fans were convinced Saquon was a 4th string RB.

To be completely fair: Iowa also has Kennedy (2020) projected at 174 and Assad (2019) at 184. Plus Brands. One of Kennedy or Gallagher would've had to move down to 165.

Reactions: diggerpup
Just like Rutger fans were convinced Saquon was a 4th string RB.

To be completely fair: Iowa also has Kennedy (2020) projected at 174 and Assad (2019) at 184. Plus Brands. One of Kennedy or Gallagher would've had to move down to 165.
Assad seems to be having troubles adjusting so far.

Objective if you do this you are ineligible, but can appeal. If PIAA believes (subjectivity) the story you can be granted an exemption. If PIAA does not believe (subjectivity) the story then tough.
and if they are close, but lose--the will take it to arbitration:)! but I agree they will be in the mix next year and the year after.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT