ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread 2024 Big Ten Tournament match, PBP, and discussion thread

WTF happened overnight... Hoping it's not true.

Don't really feel like starting another thread at this point. If you want to, feel free.

Here are today's matches:

Consi semi's start at Noon EDT on BTN+.

Cons Semis133#5 Aaron Nagao#7 Braxton Brown (MD)[Cons Semis] 133 — #5 Aaron Nagao vs #7 Braxton Brown (MD) - Mat TBD
Cons Semis149#4 Tyler Kasak#3 Caleb Rathjen (IOWA)[Cons Semis] 149 — #4 Tyler Kasak vs #3 Caleb Rathjen (IOWA) - Mat TBD

The Finals, 3rd and 5th place matches start at 4:30 pm on BTN.

Championship125#6 Braeden Davis (PSU)#4 Patrick McKee (MINN)[Championship] 125 — #6 Braeden Davis (PSU) vs #4 Patrick McKee (MINN) - Mat TBD
Championship133#1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH)#2 Dylan Shawver (RUT)[Championship] 133 — #1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH) vs #2 Dylan Shawver (RUT) - Mat TBD
Championship141#1 Beau Bartlett (PSU)#2 Jesse Mendez (OSU)
[Championship] 141 — #1 Beau Bartlett (PSU) vs #2 Jesse Mendez (OSU) - Mat TBD
Championship149#1 Ridge Lovett (NEB)#2 Austin Gomez (MICH)
[Championship] 149 — #1 Ridge Lovett (NEB) vs #2 Austin Gomez (MICH) - Mat TBD
Championship157#1 Levi Haines (PSU)#7 Will Lewan (MICH)
[Championship] 157 — #1 Levi Haines (PSU) vs #7 Will Lewan (MICH) - Mat TBD
Championship165#2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU)#1 Dean Hamiti (WIS)
[Championship] 165 — #2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU) vs #1 Dean Hamiti (WIS) - Mat TBD
Championship174#2 Shane Griffith (MICH)#4 Edmond Ruth (ILL)
[Championship] 174 — #2 Shane Griffith (MICH) vs #4 Edmond Ruth (ILL) - Mat TBD
Championship184#3 Bernie Truax (PSU)#1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN)
[Championship] 184 — #3 Bernie Truax (PSU) vs #1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN) - Mat TBD
Championship197#1 Aaron Brooks (PSU)#3 Zach Glazier (IOWA)
[Championship] 197 — #1 Aaron Brooks (PSU) vs #3 Zach Glazier (IOWA) - Mat TBD
Championship285#1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU)#2 Nick Feldman (OSU)
[Championship] 285 — #1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) vs #2 Nick Feldman (OSU) - Mat TBD
Actually it's exactly like every other championship team that Cael has: 9 wrestlers go to Nationals and 5 or 6 of them make deep runs or title runs, and we win the thing.

I did not see CC until after his son won and was thinking maybe he choppered from Hershey to CP. That would be what a 20 minute flight?
2Rn.gif

WTF happened overnight... Hoping it's not true.

Don't really feel like starting another thread at this point. If you want to, feel free.

If you have questions about brackets or team standings/points, click here: https://pennstatewrestlingclub.org/
If you have questions about mat assignments, click here: https://bubbaland.net/wrestling/Big_Ten_Wrestling_Championships_2024.htm

Here are today's matches:

Consi semi's start at Noon EDT on BTN+.

Cons Semis133#5 Aaron Nagao#7 Braxton Brown (MD)[Cons Semis] 133 — #5 Aaron Nagao vs #7 Braxton Brown (MD) - Mat TBD
Cons Semis149#4 Tyler Kasak#3 Caleb Rathjen (IOWA)[Cons Semis] 149 — #4 Tyler Kasak vs #3 Caleb Rathjen (IOWA) - Mat TBD

The Finals, 3rd and 5th place matches start at 4:30 pm on BTN.

Championship125#6 Braeden Davis (PSU)#4 Patrick McKee (MINN)[Championship] 125 — #6 Braeden Davis (PSU) vs #4 Patrick McKee (MINN) - Mat TBD
Championship133#1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH)#2 Dylan Shawver (RUT)[Championship] 133 — #1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH) vs #2 Dylan Shawver (RUT) - Mat TBD
Championship141#1 Beau Bartlett (PSU)#2 Jesse Mendez (OSU)
[Championship] 141 — #1 Beau Bartlett (PSU) vs #2 Jesse Mendez (OSU) - Mat TBD
Championship149#1 Ridge Lovett (NEB)#2 Austin Gomez (MICH)
[Championship] 149 — #1 Ridge Lovett (NEB) vs #2 Austin Gomez (MICH) - Mat TBD
Championship157#1 Levi Haines (PSU)#7 Will Lewan (MICH)
[Championship] 157 — #1 Levi Haines (PSU) vs #7 Will Lewan (MICH) - Mat TBD
Championship165#2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU)#1 Dean Hamiti (WIS)
[Championship] 165 — #2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU) vs #1 Dean Hamiti (WIS) - Mat TBD
Championship174#2 Shane Griffith (MICH)#4 Edmond Ruth (ILL)
[Championship] 174 — #2 Shane Griffith (MICH) vs #4 Edmond Ruth (ILL) - Mat TBD
Championship184#3 Bernie Truax (PSU)#1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN)
[Championship] 184 — #3 Bernie Truax (PSU) vs #1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN) - Mat TBD
Championship197#1 Aaron Brooks (PSU)#3 Zach Glazier (IOWA)
[Championship] 197 — #1 Aaron Brooks (PSU) vs #3 Zach Glazier (IOWA) - Mat TBD
Championship285#1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU)#2 Nick Feldman (OSU)
[Championship] 285 — #1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) vs #2 Nick Feldman (OSU) - Mat TBD

Hoping what isn't true?

Forgive me for posting a non-Carter question this morning (😉), but all of our guys are in the evening session tonight, correct? Third place is wrestled same time as the finals?

wrqp for day one on site...
- hate being in the upper deck
- Davis is fun... has earned everything
- I think Aaron doesn't look himself
- Beau wrestling a little too cautious
- Tyler - has to get a TD to win, so why start on bottom. Looking forw to him in ncaa's
- Levi - wow, last year he was the great freshman star, now we take him for granted - win baby
- MM - prediction for tonight - whomever gives up backpoints will lose. Should be very fun
- Star - don't blow things out of proportion just yet
- Bernie - cautious as well but same guy we've seen all year. He has it
- Brooks - best wrestler in the bldg
- Kerk - brick wall

- Tyler - has to get a TD to win, so why start on bottom. Looking forw to him in ncaa's
- Levi - wow, last year he was the great freshman star, now we take him for granted - win baby
- MM - prediction for tonight - whomever gives up backpoints will lose. Should be very fun
- Kerk - brick wall
I think MM puts it on Hamiti

My only concern would be Hamiti cradling MM in the course of a scramble. MM has found himself in a couple cradles this year to much less wrestlers than Hamiti. Short of him being cradles it is hard to imagine him loosing.

My only concern would be Hamiti cradling MM in the course of a scramble. MM has found himself in a couple cradles this year to much less wrestlers than Hamiti. Short of him being cradles it is hard to imagine him loosing.
Understood. Maybe a case of him being too confident against lesser wrestlers since I’m sure Askren has taught him all about the positions to exploit and to stay away from.

I keep wondering what it must be like for Caliendo to be utterly annihilated yet again by Mitchell. I wonder what It does to the psyche of an elite athlete at the top of his sport, to know that he has absolutely no chance against an opponent who completely destroys him. If the Brands Bros were wise (I know, I know), they’d have been paging the Sports Psychologist STAT by the middle of the 2nd.

Last edited:
- Kerk - brick wall
AaronN has had to deal with a tough early injury and then tough bout with the flu late… he hasn’t been his self all yr!

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Understood. Maybe a case of him being too confident against lesser wrestlers since I’m sure Askren has taught him all about the positions to exploit and to stay away from.
Gibbons commented on Mitchell's uncanny ability to get out of positions and situations that aren't favorable to him. This is gonna come in handy today.

- Kerk - brick wall
Not sure what you mean about Nageo; he looks to be the same guy at B1Gs that we’ve seen much of the season.

Also not sure what you refer to about blowing things out of proportion with Starocci. The two medical defaults were completely to be expected. Or am I missing something?

Not sure what you mean about Nageo; he looks to be the same guy at B1Gs that we’ve seen much of the season.

Also not sure what you refer to about blowing things out of proportion with Starocci. The two medical defaults were completely to be expected. Or am I missing something?
Nageo just needs to wrestle with the same urgency in the first two periods that he does in the third.

Reactions: Ski
If MM doesn't get caught he'll wear Hamiti down and win it in the third with a big takedown.

Reactions: Dzapper
I keep wondering what it must be like for Caliendo to be utterly annihilated yet again by Mitchell. I wonder what It does to the psyche of an elite athlete at the top of his sport, to know that he has absolutely no chance against an opponent who completely destroys him. If the Brands Bros were wise (I know, I know), they’d have been paging the Sports Psychologist STAT by the middle of the 2nd.
frank.gif

I disagree....I have never seen a PSU wrestler wrestle at the pace of MM. Not to say those all time great wrestlers weren't aggressive and total beasts. But Mitchell takes it to a new level and he is a RS Freshman. His finals match will be a true test, and I expect him to keep it up and prevail.
LOL you think he would beat Nolf.not in a million yrs!

I thought Aaron looked off, that's all. Maybe conditioning. Star comment was directed at all the commentary and speculation

New team rule. No more game day tourney decisions when injury is the concern. The unintended consequences are completely avoidable. Enough said!

PS - it's Cael and Dan's call, and it was the right one. Better when made on Friday.

New team rule. No more game day tourney decisions when injury is the concern. The unintended consequences are completely avoidable. Enough said!

PS - it's Cael and Dan's call, and it was the right one. Better when made on Friday.
Do we know the decision wasn't made Friday? It was probably made last Friday. I'd bet Carter knew there was a really good chance he wasn't going.

Cael spouts BS to the media. He isn't going to mislead one of his wrestlers.

Per Cael directly

"“He wanted to wrestle the whole tournament and was planning on wrestling the tournament. It is really tough for him. He’s having a hard time about this. He’d wrestle if both of his legs were hurt, He’s just so competitive...He’s just so competitive. He’s pretty upset, but there’s just no reason, when he meets the criteria to get an at-large (bid), to put himself in a position to set himself back.

He’s not happy, with me, but that’s why he’s Carter Starocci.”

Per Cael directly

"“He wanted to wrestle the whole tournament and was planning on wrestling the tournament. It is really tough for him. He’s having a hard time about this. He’d wrestle if both of his legs were hurt, He’s just so competitive...He’s just so competitive. He’s pretty upset, but there’s just no reason, when he meets the criteria to get an at-large (bid), to put himself in a position to set himself back.

He’s not happy, with me, but that’s why he’s Carter Starocci.”
So, that pretty much says exactly what most have been thinking. Nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT