ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2024 Penn State vs. West Virginia season opener set for Big Noon Kickoff

I think the game will not be decided until the 2nd half because of new coordinators for PSU. I expect halftime adjustments will be key. Looking forward to a good game.
Logic says that the team will struggle with the crowd and make mistakes in the first away game. they may need halftime to gather themselves. I think we have better talent across the board. I'd love to see us come out and establish the running game right off the bat. We'll certainly have some new wrinkles with a new OC and DC that WVU hasn't game-planned for.

It's why people need to accept bowl games for what they are currently. Glorified scrimmages that could be helpful reps for some kids for the following year.
After this past bowl game, I fully have accepted that, and it hurts me to say that because I've always enjoyed the bowl games. However, based on what happened in the Peach Bowl, and I know that it's just not a PSU issue, I've pretty much had it with them, and actually wish that the team wouldn't go if that's they're going to treat them.

Reactions: LandoComando
Logic says that the team will struggle with the crowd and make mistakes in the first away game. they may need halftime to gather themselves. I think we have better talent across the board. I'd love to see us come out and establish the running game right off the bat. We'll certainly have some new wrinkles with a new OC and DC that WVU hasn't game-planned for.
I just hope that the coaching staff doesn't abandon the running game if it gets stuffed early in the game. If schemed properly, PSU should have a very good running game this season, but it often takes time to establish it in a game.

After this past bowl game, I fully have accepted that, and it hurts me to say that because I've always enjoyed the bowl games. However, based on what happened in the Peach Bowl, and I know that it's just not a PSU issue, I've pretty much had it with them, and actually wish that the team wouldn't go if that's they're going to treat them.
that is, of course, one reason why the 12 team playoff was made. All of those 12 teams will be playing for something. The bowls, outside the top 12, were rendered meaningless after they went to the 4 team playoff system.

There's no doubt in my mind that if we had played that game with our regular team, we would've won by probably 10 points instead of losing by that same margin. The result was disappointibng in so many respects, not the least of which was it was another loss to a SEC school and solidified the belief that the Big 10 in general isn't in the SEC's class.
Wait…..what? I thought bowl games were meaningless?🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏿‍♂️

Now your saying losing makes the SEC look like the better conference?

Well remember that WVU and Kansas (Coach K's old school) were both in the Big 12, so I would think WVU would have some familiarity with his offensive scheme.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Well remember that WVU and Kansas (Coach K's old school) were both in the Big 12, so I would think WVU would have some familiarity with his offensive scheme.
some...but clearly an entirely different set of players and skill sets.

Wouldn't that work both ways in that he also would be familiar with WVU's defensive schemes and what they like to do to try to stop certain schemes and formations?

Wait…..what? I thought bowl games were meaningless?🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏿‍♂️

Now your saying losing makes the SEC look like the better conference?
Unfortunately, that's the gauge that many people use to compare two conferences. However, based on how most bowls games have devolved into glorified spring games, nobody ever should use them as gauges anymore unless you're talking about playoff games in which most if not all players actually play.

Wouldn't that work both ways in that he also would be familiar with WVU's defensive schemes and what they like to do to try to stop certain schemes and formations?
Yes I think that would be correct unless WVU changed their scheme since 2022. As far as history, WVU lost to Kansas in 2022. Game went into OT. Kansas scored 55 pts in that game.

Back in my day kickoffs were always at 1:30. I could leave Reading after sunrise, eat lunch at Duffy's Tavern, park near the stadium and drive home with the sun still shining. Now I can do the same for noon games but had to buy a condo near Bellefonte.
Thanks Bosco,
Hard to remember 54 yrs ago, but I also thought the home games were at 1:30, also, temporary stadium lighting were brought in for a few later games.
I believe the summer of 86' permanent stadium was installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Thanks Bosco,
Hard to remember 54 yrs ago, but I also thought the home games were at 1:30, also, temporary stadium lighting were brought in for a few later games.
I believe the summer of 86' permanent stadium was installed.
Home games in mid to late 70s and early 80s started at 1:30pm.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT