ADVERTISEMENT

<

Is anyone watching the Westminster Show?

I'm a bigger fan of the Mayflower, but, yes, I am watching Westminster. It's one of my signs that winter is almost over. Still don't get why the Pekinese are so popular. They move around like some kind of giant bug. Love the short-haired dogs.

I am not, but as a PSA for dog lovers, please check what you are feeding them. There is growing evidence that grain free diets cause heart issues (dilated cardiomyopathy), especially in certain breeds (e.g. goldens). My vet just had a six year old golden die from it. My dog just went to cardiologist this week to get checked out and obviously isn't getting that kind of food anymore.

https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/newsevents/cvmupdates/ucm613305.htm

Fonzie and I watched last night, will watch again tonight. A lot of beautiful, cool and cute dogs.....but there are always some “others”, too!

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
There are lots of good looking dogs. I am trying to convince my wife that we should get a Spinone Italiano or a Grand Bassett Griffon Vandeen (GBGV). I like the low key temperament of Spinone, especially for a gun dog.
I met a guy who had a spinone pup at the same time I was training my current 7 year old GSP. This guy had imported handmade leather shotshell belt and a really fancy beretta SxS shotgun. He was a customer from my friend/breeders day job. This guy was a complete joke and his dog was even worse. If you want a good family pet and bird dog, you will save a lot of money by going with a GSP.

Reactions: GSPMax
I am not, but as a PSA for dog lovers, please check what you are feeding them. There is growing evidence that grain free diets cause heart issues (dilated cardiomyopathy), especially in certain breeds (e.g. goldens). My vet just had a six year old golden die from it. My dog just went to cardiologist this week to get checked out and obviously isn't getting that kind of food anymore.

We’ve allegedly been buying our dog some of the “healthier” dog foods. Both seem to be big on lower grains. The one I’m transitioning towards, Arcana Orijen large breed puppy, seems like it’s mostly meat and the first legume doesn’t show up until way down the list. The one I’m transitioning from, nutrasource large breed puppy, starts with turkey then lists two legumes then meat products and legumes seem to almost alternate from there.
At least I’m glad about what I’m transitioning to but the nutrasource was supposed to be good too. Now it’s potentially bad... ugh.

my dog sits on the sofa waiting for an animal to be on TV. Then she barks her head off. She's gotten to the point that she knows what commercials are going to have animals on them and jumps off the sofa preparing to bark when they are on tv. As such, sadly, I cannot watch shows that have animals.

Bassett?

We've owned several standard Wirehaired Dachshunds, a PBGV and a Beardie. The PBGV was a handful. Always happy go lucky and he howled like a true hound. He was the closest thing I have seen to a perfect "rabbit hunting" dog He drove the neighbors crazy with all the noise.

Who was your beardie breeder? I am looking for one.

They’ve cross bred so many different types of dogs I can’t keep up with all the breeds. Back in my day those were called mutts, now they name them and charge thousands of dollars for them.

I met a guy who had a spinone pup at the same time I was training my current 7 year old GSP. This guy had imported handmade leather shotshell belt and a really fancy beretta SxS shotgun. He was a customer from my friend/breeders day job. This guy was a complete joke and his dog was even worse. If you want a good family pet and bird dog, you will save a lot of money by going with a GSP.
I had a GSP that was breed via frozen from the stud that won the show.I don't hunt but I'll tell you he was smart as all get out and could easily put in 8-10 miles running with me on my mt bike.I prefer them over a Weimeraner or veshlas

I'll tell you what's crazy;the trendy French Bulldog.I rented a place in Aspen for six months two years ago and they were like a Louis Vuitton purse status.I met the breeder of Aspen bulldogs in a coffee shop and she had a substantial waiting list for her dogs that started at 5k.

my dog sits on the sofa waiting for an animal to be on TV. Then she barks her head off. She's gotten to the point that she knows what commercials are going to have animals on them and jumps off the sofa preparing to bark when they are on tv. As such, sadly, I cannot watch shows that have animals.

LOL, I guess you haven't seen any of the new Suburu car line?

Reactions: Obliviax
We nearly always watch these shows, and often try to attend local events. Huge fans of Bassets, Bulldogs and, of course (my sig pic), Bostons. Conflicted feelings though- while we root for our favorite breeds, winning sometimes leads to irresponsible breeding by those looking to capitalize on their newfound popularity. So, In a way, happy to see my Bostons not win.

I asked my golden doodle’s vet about this right after this article came out, and she wasn’t concerned about his current diet which consists largely of grain free kibble. He just turned 4 last week and appears to be in tremendous health. That said, I’ll be keeping a close eye on this continued research along with his vet.

LOL, I guess you haven't seen any of the new Suburu car line?
Our one Jack Russell is the same way. Had Westminster on tonight and he runs up to the TV, stands on his hind legs & barks. He is also conditioned to our local TV channel’s pet photo commercial’s music. Doesn’t matter where in the house he is, when he hears it, he comes ripping into the living room and starts barking at the TV. And it can be any kind of animal too. He even barks at the Pa. Gus lottery ticket ads.

I owned three dogs throughout my life, 2-GSP and 1-Doberman. Yes I watched the entire show last night. I enjoy looking at all the different breeds and how they show in their respective Groups. The turnoff for me is how and why a particular dog breed wins. I worked with a guy whose Tibetan Spaniel made it twice (mid 2000’s) to Westminster. He never went as far as to say the outcome is rigged, but he did say if you follow dog shows closely leading to Westminster you can bet the house that the winner will come from 4-6 particular handlers and 6-8 breeds based on points and owner. No, not necessarily fixed, but highly predictable. If you heard, last night’s judge won best in show four times as handler with a terrier. So guess who won best in show? I, everyone at Westminster and probably the rest of the country thought the Long-haired Dachshund showed the best.

Last edited:
I say let dogs be dogs- so I don't care for dog shows

I'd watch a "people show" where the smug and entitled were lead around by their necks, though.
That sums up pretty much every Hollywood Awards Show - you would think they all get rotator cuff injuries from patting themselves on the back so much for "acting".

I owned three dogs throughout my life, 2-GSP and 1-Doberman. Yes I watched the entire show last night. I enjoy looking at all the different breeds and how they show in their respective Groups. The turnoff for me is how and why a particular dog breed wins. I worked with a guy whose Tibetan Spaniel made it twice (mid 2000’s) to Westminster. He never went as far as to say the outcome is rigged, but he did say if you follow dog shows closely leading to Westminster you can bet the house that the winner will come from 4-6 particular handlers and 6-8 breeds based on points and owner. No, not necessarily fixed, but highly predictable. If you heard, last night’s judge won best in show four times as handler with a terrier. So guess who won best in show? I, everyone at Westminster and probably the rest of the country thought the Long-haired Dachshund showed the best.
---
Bingo, disappointed on the outcome. Don't like the little terriers as they are terrors in most peoples homes.....never shut up when you visit. I know that is mostly the an owner issue but it is also a major trait of the terriers.

I prefer the working dogs and herding dogs. Watch every year and always think 'never heard of that breed' several times. And I have a list of about twenty dogs I would love to have.

Reactions: RU31trap
They’ve cross bred so many different types of dogs I can’t keep up with all the breeds. Back in my day those were called mutts, now they name them and charge thousands of dollars for them.
Yup. We have one of those pricey new pedigreed mutts. She’s awesome! And yup, it’s gotten out of control.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT