ADVERTISEMENT

48 Years Ago Today: One Giant Leap for Mankind

I was stunned to learn that Armstrong actually said, ".....one giant leap for Max Klein."
The story goes that the Armstrongs were very close friends with the Kleins.
One day as they were partying around the pool, the conversation evolved into a discussion of sex. When the subject of oral sex came up, Max's wife said emphatically, ".....there will be a man on the moon before I put that thing in my mouth":D:D

Reactions: 91Joe95 and psuro
Would just like to see man, woman, on the moon again.

Me too. I think it will be a symbolic step backwards for humanity if all the guys that walked on the Moon die before anyone else walks on it (or Mars or anywhere else). And the youngest one left alive (Charlie Duke) turns 82 in October.

SpaceX is scheduled to send to people to the Moon next year but only to orbit it. Still it'll be cool to see and will generate good publicity.

I was stunned to learn that Armstrong actually said, ".....one giant leap for Max Klein."
The story goes that the Armstrongs were very close friends with the Kleins.
One day as they were partying around the pool, the conversation evolved into a discussion of sex. When the subject of oral sex came up, Max's wife said emphatically, ".....there will be a man on the moon before I put that thing in my mouth":D:D

This is the kind of in depth knowledge that this board is famous for. To you, Mr. Klein...I say.....congratulations and bravo.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I loved the space program as a kid and followed intensely but unless there is some value (mining or something like that), I don't see the point.
We don't know. That's the point. Manhattan was once valued at $24. Spinoffs from the space program made a lot of money for the US and US companies--and medical advances coming out of that saved lives. You rarely will lose money, in the long run, by figuring out how the universe works. The space program is part of that.

Reactions: royboy
And Marilu Henner lost her virginity in the shower.

marilu-henner-07.jpg

Was on a cruise vacation, which stopped at Grand Turk. They have an outdoor exhibit, dedicated to the early space program , including a capsule, model rockets, and spacesuit,plus plaques explaining early achievements. I had to explain to my friends, who were born in the late seventies, how big a deal it was back then. The three major networks had all day coverage, especially once they started orbiting the earth. Our school had a tv set up in the autotorium, which anyone could watch in a free period. Very exciting time in our history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT