ADVERTISEMENT

5 NCAA's

yes. 59-62.
I went through there in the late 70's, and he was still coaching. He was the gym teacher as well, and used to paddle the athletes (read me) to toughen us up. He was sadistic in a nice way. That was his way of showing love lol. A great man from all accounts.

I went through there in the late 70's, and he was still coaching. He was the gym teacher as well, and used to paddle the athletes (read me) to toughen us up. He was sadistic in a nice way. That was his way of showing love lol. A great man from all accounts.
yeah. he was a father figure to many of us. tough as nails, but we'd run through a wall for him. sadly, i'm hearing he's having health problems. has to be in his mid 80's by now.

yeah. he was a father figure to many of us. tough as nails, but we'd run through a wall for him. sadly, i'm hearing he's having health problems. has to be in his mid 80's by now.
I remember him calling me to the side one day and asking me why I wasn't wrestling that year. I told him that I needed to get a job to help pay for college as my parents couldn't afford to contribute anything. All he said was 'okay', and that was the end of it. He respected that as a valid reason. Still didn't stop him from calling me a pansy repeatedly later on for not wrestling. But I knew it was out of respect and love. Nowadays, snowflakes would be melting.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but am wondering...

With all the red shirts, and Olympic years, and the 5 year eligibility rules, and the NCAA seemingly giving 6th year to anyone that asks; Is it possible someone could figure out a way to manipulate the system and win 5 NCAA championships?
PSU will be in the thick of things every year. I do not forsee a 2009 or 2014 repeat in the near future. Studs everywhere at PSU and they’ve proven that you ride your thoroughbreds to the top.

Haselrig is the exception to many rules. What a freak of nature he was.

Can you imagine the level of recruitment by D1 schools today if he was currently at Pitt-Johnstown? tOSU would be all over him to replace Snyder. I'm not so sure he couldn't have beaten Snyder in his own right.

If he could beat Kurt Angle, I give him a pretty good shot at besting Snyder.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I remember him calling me to the side one day and asking me why I wasn't wrestling that year. I told him that I needed to get a job to help pay for college as my parents couldn't afford to contribute anything. All he said was 'okay', and that was the end of it. He respected that as a valid reason. Still didn't stop him from calling me a pansy repeatedly later on for not wrestling. But I knew it was out of respect and love. Nowadays, snowflakes would be melting.
know what you mean. remember when we had fall practice, double sessions before school started. we'd eat, have a chalk talk, rest on the mats before getting back into that always welcome cold,wet unwashed practice gear. he'd walk around and whip you a couple times with his whistle lanyard. if he skipped you, you began to wonder if you'd done something wrong. we loved it. today, it'd probably get him thrown in jail:eek:.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT