ADVERTISEMENT

Carter theory (NO PROOF)

DuckUnder7

Jan 4, 2024
PA
Hello! This is my first ever post on this board, so I nice to meet to you all! I've been a lurker on this board for over a year (thanks for all the insight and humor during that time!), but am finally posting something on my mind haha.

This is a random theory I have about Carter seeming to be a bit gassed the past two matches. I have literally 0 proof and it's more than likely that he is dealing with an illness or slight injury.

However, is it possible Carter is already starting to weight cut a bit for the Olympic Trials? The turnaround of the NCAA Championships to the Olympic Trials is less than a month I believe, and he has to cut around 10 pounds in that time right? Could he be getting a bit of a jump start now in preparation for that? We all know that Carter loves a challenge, and I feel like he would view winning an NCAA championship while being significantly lighter than his competition as a unique thing to try and accomplish.

Anyways, just a thought and was curious if anyone else had wondered this same thing. Thanks for reading and I hope to chat more often as the season is reaching it's most exciting time!

Hello! This is my first ever post on this board, so I nice to meet to you all! I've been a lurker on this board for over a year (thanks for all the insight and humor during that time!), but am finally posting something on my mind haha.

This is a random theory I have about Carter seeming to be a bit gassed the past two matches. I have literally 0 proof and it's more than likely that he is dealing with an illness or slight injury.

However, is it possible Carter is already starting to weight cut a bit for the Olympic Trials? The turnaround of the NCAA Championships to the Olympic Trials is less than a month I believe, and he has to cut around 10 pounds in that time right? Could he be getting a bit of a jump start now in preparation for that? We all know that Carter loves a challenge, and I feel like he would view winning an NCAA championship while being significantly lighter than his competition as a unique thing to try and accomplish.

Anyways, just a thought and was curious if anyone else had wondered this same thing. Thanks for reading and I hope to chat more often as the season is reaching it's most exciting time!
Welcome to the board.

Your theory has been floated; I think it could be checked vs weigh-in sheets. Maybe, but if he was already cutting I’d think we know it from the weigh-ins.

IMO, he still recovering from sickness. It was maybe two weeks ago that he missed both bouts on the road trip to the state of Michigan.

I think we are seeing kids around the county have a slow recovery from this flu with regards to stamina. I know it may not be popular here but I think Real Woods isn't yet 100% for this reason. Beau can/will still beat him, but he was out for several matches supposedly for illness. He could also be hitting the old man motivational wall as well. I hope he hits Jesse Mendez at Bigs before Beau. I will put my money on Jesse.

Welcome to the board.

Your theory has been floated; I think it could be checked vs weigh-in sheets. Maybe, but if he was already cutting I’d think we know it from the weigh-ins.

IMO, he still recovering from sickness. It was maybe two weeks ago that he missed both bouts on the road trip to the state of Michigan.
How do we get the weigh-in data?

Also, I'd think his first cut would be to bring his walk-around weight down to 174 and attempt to hold it there. If this is his path than we wouldn't see anything new in the weigh-in data.

giphy.gif

It could also explain Vito's less-than-stellar results.

Reactions: Ski and WEAREPSU_LI
I think we are seeing kids around the county have a slow recovery from this flu with regards to stamina. I know it may not be popular here but I think Real Woods isn't yet 100% for this reason. Beau can/will still beat him, but he was out for several matches supposedly for illness. He could also be hitting the old man motivational wall as well. I hope he hits Jesse Mendez at Bigs before Beau. I will put my money on Jesse.

I presumed that Woods might still be under the weather after he got whipped by Lemley, but I'm not sure I buy it anymore. He was moving fine against Bartlett, didn't appear to gas (certainly wasn't mouth breathing or gasping any for breath at any point in the match). What struck me is that Woods never made even a single committed shot in the 7-minute dual, not even given that he was losing for most of the 7 minutes. He did reach for a leg in the third period, but it was far from a really committed shot. He just seems like another 5th or 6th year kid (in this case 5th I think) who has lost his love for the sport or who isn't really having fun this year. Who knows, I could be wrong.

As for Starocci, don't know about him either. If he IS making the cut for Olympic trials and he's weighing in at 170 or something, then yeah, sure, that would explain it. I have seen him go through short periods in previous seasons where he'd gas though and I think he's likely recovering slowly from whatever bug he had. I'm not too worried about Starocci.

I highly, highly doubt it.

For one, that’s just not how it works. You want to be at 74kg for the least amount of time possible. Shrinking your body now wouldn’t really give him any sort of advantage.

Secondly he’d be hugely jeopardizing a 4th NCAA title, something that is important to him and far more likely than making the Olympic team this cycle.

For one, that’s just not how it works. You want to be at 74kg for the least amount of time possible. Shrinking your body now wouldn’t really give him any sort of advantage.

Secondly he’d be hugely jeopardizing a 4th NCAA title, something that is important to him and far more likely than making the Olympic team this cycle.

I agree that he SHOULD BE concentrating on his 4th NCAA title and that making the Olympic team for him might be a longshot, but I'm not sure that Carter believes that. He's a different sort (and I say that in a good way).

Reactions: mcpat
I think illness recovery and lack of hard training probably more than weight cut . If he had the flu and it lingered he probably hasn't been drilling much at all due to body contact. Probably has been lifting, running and jumping.
Actual mat time is just a different cardio.
No proof,just my opinion.

I had influenza A on/around December 8th. Was feeling terrible for 2-4 days, can’t even recall now. After the fever/chills/coughing passed, I was still feeling weak and tired for 2-3 weeks. I workout regularly and I just didn’t have the drive or energy to do much during that time. And I’m still in my early 40s, and in exceptional shape for my age.

If Carter is dealing with something similar, none of what we’ve seen is surprising.

(Post script: the good news is that I’ve been back to full strength for a few weeks now. Hopefully he will be too)

Dake is going to very tough to beat. I’m not sure it can be done.

But I think most of us believe if it can be done, Nolf is the one that can do it.

And Starocci beat Nolf at the WTT two-and-a-half years ago. After only his RSFR Covid-shortened season. Of course Carter believes he can win the Trials.

I presumed that Woods might still be under the weather after he got whipped by Lemley, but I'm not sure I buy it anymore. He was moving fine against Bartlett, didn't appear to gas (certainly wasn't mouth breathing or gasping any for breath at any point in the match). What struck me is that Woods never made even a single committed shot in the 7-minute dual, not even given that he was losing for most of the 7 minutes. He did reach for a leg in the third period, but it was far from a really committed shot. He just seems like another 5th or 6th year kid (in this case 5th I think) who has lost his love for the sport or who isn't really having fun this year. Who knows, I could be wrong.

As for Starocci, don't know about him either. If he IS making the cut for Olympic trials and he's weighing in at 170 or something, then yeah, sure, that would explain it. I have seen him go through short periods in previous seasons where he'd gas though and I think he's likely recovering slowly from whatever bug he had. I'm not too worried about Starocci.
But, you see, the 3-point takedown will cause more exciting wrestling. In instances like this, Woods will shoot and shoot, causing exciting scrambles, because he knows those takedowns are worth the risk. /s

But, you see, the 3-point takedown will cause more exciting wrestling. In instances like this, Woods will shoot and shoot, causing exciting scrambles, because he knows those takedowns are worth the risk. /s
Ditto 125. Ayala will try for more than one TD instead of sitting on a two-point lead.

In reality, it’s easier to sit on a one TD (to one escape) lead. Two stall calls no longer evens it up.

I doubt it, he should have plenty of time to lose any weight after the season is over!

To that point, I do not believe Carter is yet qualified for trials. Winning nationals is his best bet, with the last chance qualifier the first weekend in April his only other path. I think.

In fairness, I'm convinced that Woods wouldn't have attempted a shot if it was still a 2-point takedown either. His lack of concern for the fact that he was going to lose if he didn't do SOMETHING was very curious and perplexing to me.

Yet thee were about 12k fans yelling stalling on Beau the entire third period, even though he never shot except that one half hearted reach.

These guys can drop over 5 pounds ina single practice, I don’t think he’d have to be dropping now to lose ten pounds in a couple months.
Put me in the list that we will not see the same Carter down 10 more pounds. Now way in hell is he cutting for the Olympics now, that (or even half way) is waaay too difficult to maintain. Let's face the facts that the Olympic committee has screwed over the atheletes big time and on balance I think you will see the vast majority of men choosing to go down rather than up, will go down in the trials. Those going up will be challenged by even larger/stronger/more powerful competition no doubt as well, but at least they themselves will be at full strength.

Reactions: mcpat
Put me in the list that we will not see the same Carter down 10 more pounds. Now way in hell is he cutting for the Olympics now, that (or even half way) is waaay too difficult to maintain. Let's face the facts that the Olympic committee has screwed over the atheletes big time and on balance I think you will see the vast majority of men choosing to go down rather than up, will go down in the trials. Those going up will be challenged by even larger/stronger/more powerful competition no doubt as well, but at least they themselves will be at full strength.
Think Carter has tough cut coming, think about Marstellar!!

Carter isn't descending yet for OT. Doesn't make any sense. He's likely still dealing with that sickness. However, let me tell you, he was tired and everyone saw it, but I'm confident Carter wanted him to get in really deep while he's sucking wind. Point being how demoralizing is that to still get shut down and in one instance taken down?

In fairness, I'm convinced that Woods wouldn't have attempted a shot if it was still a 2-point takedown either. His lack of concern for the fact that he was going to lose if he didn't do SOMETHING was very curious and perplexing to me.
I was feeling for Woods before the match. When PSU wrestlers are about to go a coach is usually with them. When they panned to Woods he was alone and his body language was more “f$ck here we go” then “f$ck yeah let’s go”. What a stranger in a strange land he has become.

Reactions: billrag
I was feeling for Woods before the match. When PSU wrestlers are about to go a coach is usually with them. When they panned to Woods he was alone and his body language was more “f$ck here we go” then “f$ck yeah let’s go”. What a stranger in a strange land he has become.
You were feeling for him because he was standing alone looking focused before the match? Jesus Christ you guys can turn any moment into something dramatic.

He looked like he does before most every match. How many matches prior have you focused on what you thought he was thinking before the bout?

These guys can drop over 5 pounds ina single practice, I don’t think he’d have to be dropping now to lose ten pounds in a couple months.
As someone who had to cut a lot of weight in my life, Carter is likely at a point where 5 pounds is never happening. To get there, he has to have water weight. What goes in comes out. There were times you'd workout incredibly hard for 2 hours and get maybe 2 pounds. His drift at night is also probably very small. This is when the mental games begin. I don't want to let it sound like he needs 2 hard practices and he's there for the Olympics.

Thanks for all the insight everyone. I knew it was a wild theory, and was 99% more likely he's still recovering from flu-like symptoms. Just wanted to throw it out there and see others thoughts/insight lol

Reactions: amattaro
You were feeling for him because he was standing alone looking focused before the match? Jesus Christ you guys can turn any moment into something dramatic.

He looked like he does before most every match. How many matches prior have you focused on what you thought he was thinking before the bout?
We thought he looked more melancholy than focused. Distinct difference.

Just rewatched the match. Carter looks bored. He just turned 23 the day before and is thinking why am I still doing this when there is no challenge anymore.

LOL, this coming from a guy who bragged about his service to the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT