ADVERTISEMENT

Carter officially returning!

I am sure BB did plenty of speaking but he was on the quiet side!
After meeting him at the OTT’s, my wife (a former Boro resident and GA at the school) and I discussed something similar to this. He really comes across as a guy who had his fill of adulation over the years and really just prefers to be left alone now. He still turns on the big personality for the kids, but otherwise keeps to himself.

One other highly accomplished athlete I can relate Bruce to is MLB HOFer Carl Yastrzemski. Long story short, my dad’s girlfriend grew up with Yaz’s kids and babysat them on occasion. My dad’s girlfriend was able to cash in a favor with him and arrange for him to sign a couple of things for us. He had just turned 82 and apparently wasn’t very happy about it but his wife Nancy convinced him to go with it. On the drive up, my dad’s girlfriend tells me about how he would leave every Red Sox reunion function early just so he could get home to have a steak and be left alone. Carlton Fisk and Dwight Evans would crack jokes about it all the time. He lives in a very inconspicuous house in a very small MA town and refused to leave the house while we were there. Nancy was super kind the whole time though.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I'm a bit torn on this one. Would love to see Carter get #5, but the whole COVID year thing seems misdirected. It's not really helping the wrestlers that truly missed out. Plus, maybe it's time to move on and give our younger guys an opportunity.

Regardless of my sentiments.....this is going to be fun! Only concern is how Carter will adjust to 197. He's already ripped and seems to have a small frame for 197. But if he and Cael have a plan.......they'll get it done. Welcome back Carter!

Reactions: JimNazium
If AJ could prove to Iowa AD Beth Goetz that he isn't nor will become a huge and ungodly embarrassment to the university, by the time the NCAA finals rolls around Carter will have dominated AJ in the dual and Big10s. If AJ Ferrari were to double bird his way into the championship finals the only section of the wrestling population who will still find the outcome a mystery are the delusional idiots watching from the GIA ward in Carver.
Aj won't even make the finals at nationals

CP speculating on what weight Carter and the rest of the Penn State wrestlers will be at next season. Also, check out the mistake CP makes at the 3:16 mark : )

CP speculating on what weight Carter and the rest of the Penn State wrestlers will be at next season. Also, check out the mistake CP makes at the 3:16 mark : )
Goodness, I knew Carter was tough, but I didn't know Carter was that tough! 😆

Around the 7:45 mark he says, "It sounds like Greg Kerkvliet is coming back for sure." Has that been officially announced or is CP just speculating? That's not going to make fans of the other teams happy. 😂

It sounds like next year will be PSU battling for a new point record & everyone else in the race for second place. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Around the 7:45 mark he says, "It sounds like Greg Kerkvliet is coming back for sure." Has that been officially announced? That's not going to make fans of the other teams happy. 😂

It sounds like next year will be PSU battling for a new point record & everyone else in the race for second place.
Not officially, but coach said that Casey is recruiting Kerk to come back.

Got a comment from a friend who is allied to another D1 program. He thinks it is unfair that Carter gets the only chance anyone will ever have to be a 5X NCAA champion. He does have a point
One can debate the merits of winning a 5th given the covid restricted sample size, but fairness has nothing to do with it. Assuming average 34 man squad, that's 7 freshmen per squad x let's say 50 D1 programs equates to ~350 candidates. Now how many of them were 4xers giving them a chance at 5x? I count one, or less than 0.3%>. Call me amazed and upon reflection it's looking pretty damned fair. Being in the right place at the right time in life has many rewards, that's life.

Give Yanni an extra year on his trajectory and he probably doesn't get it. Dake and Steiber, I think both likely would have got it done assuming Steiber stayed away from Zain's weight. All in all WGAS!

Carter still has a tall hill to climb especially up at 197 if it happens. If he gets it, it's entirely fair. No matter it will have an asterisk most assuredly. It's all good.

As for your friend. Does he tend to melt at 33 degrees?

As for your comment 'he does have a point'??? I think Carter earned this shot, I didn't see the point.

When Marinelli won his 4th B1G title, I can’t recall a single post here, on GIA or Intermat, nor a single tweet, pointing out that he had five goes at it and was 6th at B1Gs in his first go as a redshirt freshman.

All I know is Bordeaux is going to have one of those pre-weekend hangovers like he use to have in College. If anyone is from the northwest PA, can you check on him. He's wearing a vest and a drunken smile and maybe nothing else.

I remember a guy on my floor in Pinchot famous for the saying:

"I don't know what we're doing this week, but I'm pretty sure it involves alcohol".

I can’t speak for people in other majors but when I got to my senior level engineering classes, they were super interesting. No problem getting motivated to attend classes and I aced everything. Knowing what I know now, it would have been really cool to do grad work and spend my spare time wrestling.
Oh yeah well I graduated HS!🧑‍🦽

I lived in Beaver, not Pinchot. Wasn't me!
giphy.gif

I'm a bit torn on this one. Would love to see Carter get #5, but the whole COVID year thing seems misdirected. It's not really helping the wrestlers that truly missed out. Plus, maybe it's time to move on and give our younger guys an opportunity.

Regardless of my sentiments.....this is going to be fun! Only concern is how Carter will adjust to 197. He's already ripped and seems to have a small frame for 197. But if he and Cael have a plan.......they'll get it done. Welcome back Carter!
Carter gets to take care of himself and Penn State too. Others had the chance, but Carter last man standing (take it for what is is...very impressive). Dake and Cael probably would have gotten five too (under circumstances), but they won't be judged adversely.

Pick a weight and win. I think he is that good.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
I remember a guy on my floor in Pinchot famous for the saying:

"I don't know what we're doing this week, but I'm pretty sure it involves alcohol".
I lived in Pinchot Hall in 1983. Long trek to classes, especially in Winter across the frozen tundra of Lot 80, but a fun dorm atmosphere for a frosh (even though I didn't drink at that time).

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I lived in Pinchot Hall in 1983. Long trek to classes, especially in Winter across the frozen tundra of Lot 80, but a fun dorm atmosphere for a frosh (even though I didn't drink at that time).

I was there then too.

What floor?

5&6th was "New Castle House".

I went back about ten years ago, I think Parking Lot 80 is buildings now.

Last edited:
The list of 6-year guys winning an NC in year 6 must be microscopic (in fact, who?). But after doubting Carter would beat two former champs on a single Friday last March (with a suspect knee that hindered conditioning), I won’t doubt him again.
The flip side of this once-every-pandemic opportunity (that many others had, btw) is lugging around his sport’s largest target. Because while Carter alone can become the likely sole 5-time D1 champ in NCAA history, EVERY wrestler in his weight class has the chance at another unmatched historic feat: Defeating a 4-time champ in the tournament he sought his immortal 5th.
It’s a target worthy of its all-time size and weight, on the back of one of few wrestlers worthy of the challenge . . . and, I believe, up to it.

The list of 6-year guys winning an NC in year 6 must be microscopic (in fact, who?). But after doubting Carter would beat two former champs on a single Friday last March (with a suspect knee that hindered conditioning), I won’t doubt him again.
The flip side of this once-every-pandemic opportunity (that many others had, btw) is lugging around his sport’s largest target. Because while Carter alone can become the likely sole 5-time D1 champ in NCAA history, EVERY wrestler in his weight class has the chance at another unmatched historic feat: Defeating a 4-time champ in the tournament he sought his immortal 5th.
It’s a target worthy of its all-time size and weight, on the back of one of few wrestlers worthy of the challenge . . . and, I believe, up to it.
David Carr this year.

Arujau won in his 6th and 7th years at Cornell -- he was a 2017 HS grad. He did take an Ivy Shirt at the local community college plus some time not enrolled.

In 2023, O'Connor and Bonaccorsi won in their 6th year.

2022 was the 6th year for Cruiseliner Nick and Deakin.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT