ADVERTISEMENT

9 years ago today, we got beat by Temple giving up TEN sacks

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
and one national media person said we had the worst offensive line he had ever seen on a power five team. I bookmarked this for the next time I hear people trashing the skill players on that team. I am a huge OL fan and know that they don't get the credit. But nobody doin' nuthin' if the OL ain't right.

and one national media person said we had the worst offensive line he had ever seen on a power five team. I bookmarked this for the next time I hear people trashing the skill players on that team. I am a huge OL fan and know that they don't get the credit. But nobody doin' nuthin' if the OL ain't right.

That team was a was coached by Matt Rhule.

FLO didn't exactly prioritize offensive linemen while recruiting, but, you know, he 'saved' the program.

FLO didn't exactly prioritize offensive linemen while recruiting, but, you know, he 'saved' the program.
He didn't save jack $hit. He actually downgraded the program and made it twice as hard for Franklin. He didn't recruit a single offensive lineman and if he would have done simply SOMETHING, Barkley could have had a decent offensive line in front of him.

Might have been the year before but they only had like 7 OL on the roster one spring.

The temple loss had two dts in the ol. Paris palmer was not ready to see the field but there was nobody else. Was that the year where mangiro had to move from center to play tackle because someone went down?

When you have no offensive line running a straight drop back passing game with an immobile WB isn’t the wisest choice.

Then make it worse by calling plays with long routes that are slow to develop?🤷🏿‍♂️

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
When you have no offensive line running a straight drop back passing game with an immobile WB isn’t the wisest choice.

Then make it worse by calling plays with long routes that are slow to develop?🤷🏿‍♂️
You said it. For all those in the O’Brien is a genius camp, read em and weep. His coaching career should have ended 5 minutes after this game.

O'Brien wasn't the coach during that game.
I was responding to the comment regarding “Flo.” If I misunderstood or was mistaken I apologize. Either way I believe Bill O’Brien to be a mediocre coach so far based on his record. Perhaps he will step it up at BC. The FSU game was a good start.

From that highlight reel it looked like no one was coaching during the Temple game, truth be told.

I was responding to the comment regarding “Flo.” If I misunderstood or was mistaken I apologize. Either way I believe Bill O’Brien to be a mediocre coach so far based on his record. Perhaps he will step it up at BC. The FSU game was a good start.

From that highlight reel it looked like no one was coaching during the Temple game, truth be told.
You said he should have never coached again, anywhere (his career should have been over, according to you) after that game. And, yet, he didn’t coach that game. Because he wasn’t the PSU coach then. He had moved on. Franklin was the coach. Another poster mentioned the derogatory “Flo” to indicate that O’Brien’s OL recruiting (or lack thereof) left the cupboard bare, resulting in that situation.

Regardless, you wanted a guy’s livelihood ended over his poor coaching of a team he wasn’t a coach of. Stop being a mess.

Meanwhile, that guy had helped stave off the demise of this program, then gone on to take over a 2-14 squad and reel off 3 consecutive winning seasons, and 4 winning seasons (and 2 playoff berths) out of 5 before he also took on the GM role (which was a mistake) ... and after that, he was a successful OC at a top college football program, an OC on a pro team and is now the HC of a power 4 college football program. So I'd say it's pretty clear that even if that WAS him coaching that team he wasn't a coach of, your judgment was WAY off. But he wasn't said coach, which means your embarrassment is multiplied.

So you can try to claim you were responding to something you weren't responding to (and it wouldn't matter if you were), and can try to pull back your criticism from "he should have never coached again" to "he was mediocre" ... but you said what you said.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPC FAN

That was a brutal game to watch. Our OLine were like toll gate attendants on a super highway. Only they weren’t asking the Temple rushers to slow down at all. The only thing missing from that comedy act was the two guards pulling and smashing headlong into each other with Hack caught in the middle.

That was a brutal game to watch. Our OLine were like toll gate attendants on a super highway. Only they weren’t asking the Temple rushers to slow down at all. The only thing missing from that comedy act was the two guards pulling and smashing headlong into each other with Hack caught in the middle.
We gave up a sack with a two-man rush!

Reactions: 91Joe95
It could have been worse. In that game Hack might have dropped to the ground without anyone rushing him in a pre conditioned self preservation move.
I have a gif of that.

Oh wait, that is me the next morning.

5bb0525f4cee9fce813a3c51da27d6f6.gif

What offense fits a team with no OL, inaccurate QB and a qb with no mobility?

It was Mauti and Zordich.
They were certainly a big part of it as well, but in football, so much of it starts with the head coach. I am forever grateful to BOB for leading us through that very dark time period. Death penalty was on the table in that time. The NCAA allowed schools to come in and poach our players. Our brand was as low as it could possibly get. And in some respects, our brand is still impacted by the sins of Sandusky. I’m also very grateful for Franklin for continuing what Joe started in terms of running as clean of a program as you can ask for in these days while maintaining a high degree of success. Obviously, we all want a natty with an occasional beatdown of OSU, and at least it’s in the realm of possibility with Franklin. Hopefully he can get us all the way there.

You said he should have never coached again, anywhere (his career should have been over, according to you) after that game. And, yet, he didn’t coach that game. Because he wasn’t the PSU coach then. He had moved on. Franklin was the coach. Another poster mentioned the derogatory “Flo” to incidate that O’Brien’s OL recruiting (or lack thereof) left the cupboard bare, resulting in that situation.

Regardless, you wanted a guy’s livelihood ended over his poor coaching of a team he wasn’t a coach of. Stop being a mess.

Meanwhile, that guy had helped stave off the demise of this program, then gone on to take over a 2-14 squad and reel off 3 consecutive winning seasons, and 4 winning seasons (and 2 playoff berths) out of 5 before he also took on the GM role (which was a mistake) ... and after that, he was a successful OC at a top college football program, an OC on a pro team and is now the HC of a power 4 college football program. So I'd say it's pretty clear that even if that WAS him coaching that team he wasn't a coach of, your judgment was WAY off. But he wasn't said coach, which means your embarrassment is multiplied.

So you can try to claim you were responding to something you weren't responding to (and it wouldn't matter if you were), and can try to pull back your criticism from "he should have never coached again" to "he was mediocre" ... but you said what you said.
For the love of God it was hyperbole. You are insufferable!

yeah....he was really hamstrung by sanctions and opted for offer other positions than OL.

Yep. I always remember the Bill Parcels comment about there being fewer 300 lb athletes than 200 lb ones. You can find walk on receivers, and the occasional DB, but you rarely see a walk on lineman, let alone a predominantly walk on line

Reactions: Obliviax
They were certainly a big part of it as well, but in football, so much of it starts with the head coach. I am forever grateful to BOB for leading us through that very dark time period. Death penalty was on the table in that time. The NCAA allowed schools to come in and poach our players. Our brand was as low as it could possibly get. And in some respects, our brand is still impacted by the sins of Sandusky. I’m also very grateful for Franklin for continuing what Joe started in terms of running as clean of a program as you can ask for in these days while maintaining a high degree of success. Obviously, we all want a natty with an occasional beatdown of OSU, and at least it’s in the realm of possibility with Franklin. Hopefully he can get us all the way there.

FLO wanted to read the players the riot act and had to be convinced by Mauti and Zordich to treat the players like adults. If they hadn't stepped up FLO would have lost even more players. Then he acted all miffed when the players who left had the gall to use the words he taught them about business decisions.

FLO wanted to read the players the riot act and had to be convinced by Mauti and Zordich to treat the players like adults. If they hadn't stepped up FLO would have lost even more players. Then he acted all miffed when the players who left had the gall to use the words he taught them about business decisions.
Why do you hate the guy who helped save this program, and refuse to give him any credit? Is it a JoePa thing (almost everything is amongst many posters)? Are you just mad at everything/everyone that existed around the university at that time?

Reactions: EPC FAN
You are rewriting history. It is laughable.

Reactions: bison13
Very good. Just would add to the sins of Sandusky the sins of our BoT, Corbett, and the media,

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and LMTLION
You are rewriting history. It is laughable.

Go ask Silas Redd. Do you remember when the sanctions were first announced and FLO's agent pointed out they were baseless? Shortly afterwards the FLO camp went silent and PSU ripped up his contract and gave him a ridiculous deal even though his original contract covered the scenario where sanctions were issued.

It's a little bit of everything everyone is writing, some deserve some of the blame, and equally some credit too (I personally think a lot of credit is due to all). In the end we are fortunate to have had BOB, the players who stuck around when it all looked so dire, and coach Franklin to lead us to where we are now. It's amazing we weathered the storm so well all things considered and are now in the place we are. I'm grateful for both coaches! No, neither of them are perfect and did everything right, but we didn't have a losing season during that tough early transition. When those draconian sanctions were leveled I expected the worst, that never materialized.....a testament to what PSU football is, including our fanbase.

• Love
Reactions: The Spin Meister
yeah....he was really hamstrung by sanctions and opted for offer other positions than OL.
The last few years of Joe's recruiting weren't strong in OL, either. Looking at depth chart from that year, the talent wasn't great, and where it was good, it often came with a lack of experience. I don't think any of that year's starting OL would be starters on this year's team and only one or two would make the two-deep.

Reactions: bison13
The handle "Sackenberg" was developed that day....sadly I was there : (

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT