ADVERTISEMENT

One-on-one with James Franklin: Penn State coach talks NIL, playoffs and new staff

with all of this and the complaints about recruiting, coaching, clock management, PSU really hasn't had a B+ or better QB in a long, long time. Trace was the best we've had and he was very fortunate to have the best RB in college football two years running behind him and some really good WRs. I feel like Sean Clifford was good his senior season but, again, doesn't compare the the tOSU QBs (or the good QBs coming out of Clemson, GA and Alabama).

That's partly on recruiting but partly on QB development -- or lack thereof. Hack regressed after BOB left -- yes, he was a better fit for BOB's system than Franklin's, but his regression was pretty clear. Trace was a warrior and definitely outplayed his ranking, but he didn't really improve over time. Same for Clifford. The promise he showed as a sophomore didn't pan out beyond that 2019 season.

It'll be extremely important to get big improvement from Allar this year, because otherwise a clear trend emerges that QBs do not develop under Franklin.

Of course, surrounding the QB with playmaker WRs also makes a difference, and we're struggling in that area, too. If you're a hot QB prospect, I'm not sure Penn State should be at the top of the list. Matt Zollers seems to agree.

That's partly on recruiting but partly on QB development -- or lack thereof. Hack regressed after BOB left -- yes, he was a better fit for BOB's system than Franklin's, but his regression was pretty clear. Trace was a warrior and definitely outplayed his ranking, but he didn't really improve over time. Same for Clifford. The promise he showed as a sophomore didn't pan out beyond that 2019 season.

It'll be extremely important to get big improvement from Allar this year, because otherwise a clear trend emerges that QBs do not develop under Franklin.

Of course, surrounding the QB with playmaker WRs also makes a difference, and we're struggling in that area, too. If you're a hot QB prospect, I'm not sure Penn State should be at the top of the list. Matt Zollers seems to agree.
All of that funnels up to CJF and the staff. They own all of that.

Reactions: ryoder1 and WeR0206

Didn’t Clifford win two BCS bowl games, leave PSU as its all time leading passing yards qb, and end up getting drafted and making an NFL team as its second string qb? I realize that he wasn’t a Heisman Trophy caliber player, but I also believe that he’s one of the more underappreciated players in PSU history.

Spin really mentioned "game endurance," "refs," and "size," as excuses for JF. I just don't know what to say anymore, lol.

As u mentioned, refs is loser talk, and the other two are absolutely in JFs control!

He recruits tweener, undersized athletes and never changes that approach. We typically are always undersized. And, I have said multiple times on here, our S&C program is very unimpressive when it comes to the line...both OL and DL. We don't control the LOS on either side...and when do our interior OL look like the square, solid bodies that aren't slow and lazy. You would think after a decade, JF would change the schematics and program to address the issue. But, he clearly doesn't know how or care. Not to mention, OL has had a bunch of high star recruits over several yrs. Now, at the skill positions, our guys combine well. Great...so we win in that area.

But, maybe I'm reaching and JF should be pardoned for absolutely everything because PSU is just too hard to win at. Like 8% of the people on here put the majority of the blame and responsibility on JF...the rest live in fairy tale world, it's exhausting.
Funny how anything that people disagree with are ‘excuses’ while the things they post are ‘facts’.🤷🏿‍♂️

And I posted that Franklin emphasizes speed over size as a criticism, not an excuse. I noted that is why we wear down as games and seasons go on. You should learn to read.

Fraa a non was terrible at game management and cost us games…..which I mentioned. He has gotten much better. But as I also said, he has two years to take the next step or the pressures on him will be huge.

Didn’t Clifford win two BCS bowl games, leave PSU as its all time leading passing yards qb, and end up getting drafted and making an NFL team as its second string qb? I realize that he wasn’t a Heisman Trophy caliber player, but I also believe that he’s one of the more underappreciated players in PSU history.

Well, he played 5 seasons -- the COVID year helped him break all those records. He's barely a top-10 all-time QB at Penn State behind Collins, Blackledge, Fusina, Sacca, MRob, Trace, McGloin, Clark, etc., in my view.

A good QB, but one who never really got better than what he was in 2019. That's the point. No real QB development.

And he came in a highly touted recruit - top-200 nationally. OSU didn't recruit him because Meyer preferred dual threat types, but he was no slouch as a recruit.

Last edited:
The other problem is that we've really lost our mojo in dominating our traditional recruiting footprint. StorminNorm used to make this claim back in ~2020, sounding the alarm that we were slipping. And he was right.

Maryland's top player just committed to OSU today, and the state's other top-end prospects are headed to the SEC. NJ's top player is trending OSU and their other top-100 kid is going to Georgia. PA's top players are headed to Mizzou and OSU respectively. We don't have any of VA's top recruits.

Still early in the 2025 class, but we have to recruit our footprint better. We are developing players quite well, particularly on defense.....and that keeps us in the conversation. But to get into that upper tier, we absolutely have to recruit like we were in 2018-2019.

Last edited:
Funny how anything that people disagree with are ‘excuses’ while the things they post are ‘facts’.🤷🏿‍♂️

And I posted that Franklin emphasizes speed over size as a criticism, not an excuse. I noted that is why we wear down as games and seasons go on. You should learn to read.

Fraa a non was terrible at game management and cost us games…..which I mentioned. He has gotten much better. But as I also said, he has two years to take the next step or the pressures on him will be huge.
So,if we wear down over the season because of prioritizing speed over size and physicality, why hasn't he changed a bit of that approach to recruiting, scheme, or the S&C program? I'm not asking him to change his whole identity because every coach has one, but you can't just keep rolling out the same style over and over and expect different results...I mean u would think losing the trench battles annually would result in some adaptation. He's stubborn and doesn't have very good self awareness.

Well, he played 5 seasons -- the COVID year helped him break all those records. He's barely a top-10 all-time QB at Penn State behind Collins, Blackledge, Fusina, Sacca, MRob, Trace, McGloin, Clark, etc., in my view.

A good QB, but one who never really got better than what he was in 2019. That's the point. No real QB development.

And he came in a highly touted recruit - top-200 nationally. OSU didn't recruit him because Meyer preferred dual threat types, but he was no slouch as a recruit.

🤪

So,if we wear down over the season because of prioritizing speed over size and physicality, why hasn't he changed a bit of that approach to recruiting, scheme, or the S&C program? I'm not asking him to change his whole identity because every coach has one, but you can't just keep rolling out the same style over and over and expect different results...I mean u would think losing the trench battles annually would result in some adaptation. He's stubborn and doesn't have very good self awareness.
Our o line seems to be bigger and better. D line, especially tackles, are still light. But our D’s have been top rated nationally so seems to work. Problem is with a long schedule you see a wide variety of teams and what works for one doesn’t work fir another.

Reactions: scrivener
The two keys to this interview were...
The NCAA is dying fast
The offense will be more of the same

Running Miles Sanders on 4th and 5 into the teeth of Ohio State's defensive line will go down as one of the all-time program changing stupid calls in our history.

Sure, it was Ricky Rahne's call......not James' fault, per usual. But there isn't a head coach in the business who wouldn't at least exercise veto power for a call of that magnitude in that circumstance.

Not saying that 4th and 5 is easy to convert, but that OSU defense wasn't great and Trace had their number all night. We convert there, and we have 90 seconds or so to pick up a few more yards to get into game-winning FG territory. We beat OSU, and no telling how our trajectory as a program changes. But we run Sanders on 4th and 5, and Franklin follows that up with the cringy "we're not elite" speech and then shits the bed against Michigan State.

That 8-day stretch was absolutely catastrophic for this program.
I am stunned that people can explain everything away and I mean everything away to absolve Franklin of any accountability. Forget the dismal 4th and 5 call....here's the deal dude, he is the HEAD COACH and needs to have ultimate accountability. The defense just blew a 12 point lead with 8 minutes to go because they could not perform in winning time. That inability to make the winning plays in crunch time falls back to not being prepared both physically and mentally. That is coaching. To sit there and blame it all on the players and just give Franklin a free pass like he has no accountability is mind boggling stupid.

I am stunned that people can explain everything away and I mean everything away to absolve Franklin of any accountability. Forget the dismal 4th and 5 call....here's the deal dude, he is the HEAD COACH and needs to have ultimate accountability. The defense just blew a 12 point lead with 8 minutes to go because they could not perform in winning time. That inability to make the winning plays in crunch time falls back to not being prepared both physically and mentally. That is coaching. To sit there and blame it all on the players and just give Franklin a free pass like he has no accountability is mind boggling stupid.
In almost all of his losses to OSU which mostly have been by a td or less, and a few of the Michigan losses which weren’t blowouts, both the coaching staff and players have come up small in winning time; they’re both to blame.

That’s the big difference between this regime and the PSU teams that I grew up watching in the 70s and 80s; those teams didn’t win every big game that they played, but they won a lot of them and they very seldom were overwhelmed by the situation.

I like a lot of what Franklin has brought to the program, and at least he’s stabilized it to the point where it’s a legitimate top 12 program in most seasons. However, I have my doubts about whether he can take it to the next level, and some of that is based on things out of his control like location, shift in demographics, etc.

Last edited:
Location? Shift in demographics? Come on man… that has nothing to do with performance on the field. Deliver when it matters and top kids will keep coming. Talent isn’t the issue as much as not delivering when the bright lights are on. Coming up flat against Kentucky and Arkansas in bowl games doesn’t help either. Or vs. Minnesota when ur unbeaten and have a week to prep.

Location? Shift in demographics? Come on man… that has nothing to do with performance on the field. Deliver when it matters and top kids will keep coming. Talent isn’t the issue as much as not delivering when the bright lights are on. Coming up flat against Kentucky and Arkansas in bowl games doesn’t help either. Or vs. Minnesota when ur unbeaten and have a week to prep.
I didn’t mean to infer that those factors have caused the previous losses to OSU and Michigan. However, whether you want to believe it, PSU’s location and the fact that its home state continues to lose population and not as many of its kids play football anymore are negative factors. It doesn’t mean that they can’t be overcome, and to some extent they have, but it’s going to take much more work than at schools in states that are having population explosions and have more kids playing the sport.

Also, whether you want to believe it, it’s much easier to recruits kids to Columbus, OH than to State College, PA, especially ones who have no loyalty to PSU. There are just so many more income resources in the largest city of Ohio than a college town in the middle of nowhere that are enticing to these kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I didn’t mean to infer that those factors have caused the previous losses to OSU and Michigan. However, whether you want to believe it, PSU’s location and the fact that its home state continues to lose population and not as many of its kids play football anymore are negative factors. It doesn’t mean that they can’t be overcome, and to some extent they have, but it’s going to take much more work than at schools in states that are having population explosions and have more kids playing the sport.

Also, whether you want to believe it, it’s much easier to recruits kids to Columbus, OH than to State College, PA, especially ones who have no loyalty to PSU. There are just so many more income resources in the largest city of Ohio than a college town in the middle of nowhere that are enticing to these kids.
Yes. PA high school football recruiting talent is nowhere near where it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I'll give you that, so it is more difficult. But as I unfortunately just learned from Nittany Illinois we are now losing ground in key battleground states that have been our bread and butter over the last 20-30 years...NJ. MD, VA. We cannot afford to lose to OSU. etc in these states or we will fall hopelessly behind.

I also agree with your point regarding skepticism about Franklin being able to get us any further than he already has. Top 12 is good to very good but #9 or #8 is not elite and not in the running for a NC. I have just seen us come up small in so many crucial games when it was crunch time. The OSU games are great examples of this but I believe it all started with that '17 Rose Bowl. The Michigan State losses, man if we beat Sparty in '17 I think we may sneak into the playoff that year. Even the Kentucky bowl game after the '18 season. I know not a huge, huge game but a bowl game nonetheless. We can't get a 3 and out to have a shot to win it at the end and we knew Kentucky was going to run it on all their plays.

As a fan or at least this fan who has watched and followed Penn State football very closely since 1976 this trend is incredibly frustrating. As you said, in the 70's and 80's Penn State teams seemed to rise up to the big moment and deliver. Not all the time for sure but look at the '83 Sugar Bowl, Blackledge to Garrity when we needed a score in the worst way. The tremendous defensive game plan and effort versus Miami in the 1986 Fiesta Bowl capped off by the Giftopolous pick on basically the last play of the game. The drive in '94 vs Illinois and even that '95 Rose Bowl vs Oregon when we got challenged and responded.

Beyond these pretty obvious examples there are countless other games, '77 Pitt goal line stand, '78 demolition at OSU, '78 win vs Pitt and the Guman 4th down TD run. Other games with a weaker team like the '79 miracle 9-7 win vs NC State. The '85 Maryland and Alabama wins also come to mind. Again, there were bitter losses in this era as well, I am well aware of that. The overall takeaway though, is we had teams poised to make winning plays in winning time far more often than not. We have lost that intangible ability as a team/coach.

Sorry but the talent is different. Suffers enough to matter.

Look how many four and five stars they get every year vs our numbers. And if don’t think those numbers matter you are dead wrong.

Injuries. We don’t have the same depth and injuries to players hurt us more. Losing Mustipher during the Iowa game probably cost us at least that game one more. Possibly two more. Same with other key injuries.

Game endurance. There is a reason we blow fourth qtr leads against the top teams. Our starters have to play more minutes. They get exhausted. Play through some injuries.

At least three games were stolen by refs.

His game day coaching was really poor first five years. Wasted timeouts. Delay penalties. Stupid play calling. Disorganized offense. Failure to make in game adjustments to opposition game plan. But he has come a long way in game management.

One other problem I see that rarely gets mentioned is he recruits for speed. Our d pmsyersxare undersized. Works great against equal or lessor talent. But we get manhandled by power teams. And lighter players leads to more injuries and endurance problems in games.

We don’t have the talent of Ohio State. And we are undersized to handle Michigan’s power game……few can.

We need to make that jump. Our o line seems much improved. Coaching staff better. He has two years to do so or the pressure will be huge.
It's amazing how much folks forget regarding what Franklin inherited. It's so easy to say the buck stops at the top. Not really it doesn't. One may be in charge, but that doesn’t mean they have control of everything that affects their performance.
Franklin inherited a program that was 20 plus years behind others. It also took years to get over the stigma of Sandusky. He had to completely rebuild an offensive line that had about 8 players on scholarship. Then NIL hits, and the state of Pennsylvania completely screwed up their law which had a massive impact on the program. As we all have seen, interest is way down as well due to NIL.

Thank God for Penn State Wrestling.

Yes. PA high school football recruiting talent is nowhere near where it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I'll give you that, so it is more difficult. But as I unfortunately just learned from Nittany Illinois we are now losing ground in key battleground states that have been our bread and butter over the last 20-30 years...NJ. MD, VA. We cannot afford to lose to OSU. etc in these states or we will fall hopelessly behind.

I also agree with your point regarding skepticism about Franklin being able to get us any further than he already has. Top 12 is good to very good but #9 or #8 is not elite and not in the running for a NC. I have just seen us come up small in so many crucial games when it was crunch time. The OSU games are great examples of this but I believe it all started with that '17 Rose Bowl. The Michigan State losses, man if we beat Sparty in '17 I think we may sneak into the playoff that year. Even the Kentucky bowl game after the '18 season. I know not a huge, huge game but a bowl game nonetheless. We can't get a 3 and out to have a shot to win it at the end and we knew Kentucky was going to run it on all their plays.

As a fan or at least this fan who has watched and followed Penn State football very closely since 1976 this trend is incredibly frustrating. As you said, in the 70's and 80's Penn State teams seemed to rise up to the big moment and deliver. Not all the time for sure but look at the '83 Sugar Bowl, Blackledge to Garrity when we needed a score in the worst way. The tremendous defensive game plan and effort versus Miami in the 1986 Fiesta Bowl capped off by the Giftopolous pick on basically the last play of the game. The drive in '94 vs Illinois and even that '95 Rose Bowl vs Oregon when we got challenged and responded.

Beyond these pretty obvious examples there are countless other games, '77 Pitt goal line stand, '78 demolition at OSU, '78 win vs Pitt and the Guman 4th down TD run. Other games with a weaker team like the '79 miracle 9-7 win vs NC State. The '85 Maryland and Alabama wins also come to mind. Again, there were bitter losses in this era as well, I am well aware of that. The overall takeaway though, is we had teams poised to make winning plays in winning time far more often than not. We have lost that intangible ability as a team/coach.
BINGO...NAIL ON HEAD. Joe always talked about "poise." The idea of mental toughness, or fortitude, or poise, is one of a few things that has been severely lacking with JF et al during his time. From the players to the coaches getting them prepared for big games and moments, the team has been soft. No way around that. It's not just one or two examples -- it has become a damn list of collapses and just being totally unprepared, from big games to bowl games against middling SEC programs. I'm sure I'll hear from the fanboys about our huge wins over Wisconsin and Iowa and sweeping Auburn. But, that's to be expected.

As I've said on here, JF runs a friendship camp -- not a hard nosed program. It is possible to coach hard, demand excellence and display that on the field by pulling players who aren't ready, and also have a family atmosphere. You can have both.

Sorry, I don't buy Hotshoe's reply about needing 20 years to catch up...it's like we are in the twilight zone with some of these responses. But, I guess since much of our fanbase is content and absolve JF of poor big game metrics, why should JF feel uncomfortable in any way.

Hack had the best QB training in the country. From high school to the pros. 2 different pro leagues, and not only did he never see a game with the Jets, he couldn't make it in the B- league, and got pulled as the starter. We're blaming Franklin for that? Franklin had no offensive line left with Hack.
Furthermore, we have not one, but two Elite 11 QB's on the team. Zollers was going to be on the bench at Penn State for quite a while. Missouri has far better opportunities to play earlier.

BINGO...NAIL ON HEAD. Joe always talked about "poise." The idea of mental toughness, or fortitude, or poise, is one of a few things that has been severely lacking with JF et al during his time. From the players to the coaches getting them prepared for big games and moments, the team has been soft. No way around that. It's not just one or two examples -- it has become a damn list of collapses and just being totally unprepared, from big games to bowl games against middling SEC programs. I'm sure I'll hear from the fanboys about our huge wins over Wisconsin and Iowa and sweeping Auburn. But, that's to be expected.

As I've said on here, JF runs a friendship camp -- not a hard nosed program. It is possible to coach hard, demand excellence and display that on the field by pulling players who aren't ready, and also have a family atmosphere. You can have both.

Sorry, I don't buy Hotshoe's reply about needing 20 years to catch up...it's like we are in the twilight zone with some of these responses. But, I guess since much of our fanbase is content and absolve JF of poor big game metrics, why should JF feel uncomfortable in any way.
You don't have to buy it, but it's reality. Hell, they couldn't even keep the roof from leaking in Holuba Hall. Nutrition and training were years outdated. Electronics were nearly non existant. Dorms were terrible, and still are. Lockerooms and training facilities were years behind others. That stuff matters to recruits.

Two things can be true at the same time. This isn't about absolving Franklin, it's about the fact that, he had to rebuild a program from the ground up.

You don't have to buy it, but it's reality. Hell, they couldn't even keep the roof from leaking in Holuba Hall. Nutrition and training were years outdated. Electronics were nearly non existant. Dorms were terrible, and still are. Lockerooms and training facilities were years behind others. That stuff matters to recruits.

Two things can be true at the same time. This isn't about absolving Franklin, it's about the fact that, he had to rebuild a program from the ground up.
Those things are true....we were way behind, no doubt. But, when the rubber has met the road in these big games, and more specifically pendulum swinging moments to define a season, we have failed the vast majority of the time. And, it's not like we've had Purdue talent. Some of the NFL's best players have been fielded by JF. What I'm getting at is....when that big pass, or catch, or block, etc., had to be made, our leaking facilities or Walmart brand athletic tape isn't quantifiable as the reason for coming up small. It just isn't. There has been MORE than enough talent to have a single freaking 11 win regular season and clinching a playoff spot. I mean, is a decade of time still not sufficient to at least accomplish that?

Those things are true....we were way behind, no doubt. But, when the rubber has met the road in these big games, and more specifically pendulum swinging moments to define a season, we have failed the vast majority of the time. And, it's not like we've had Purdue talent. Some of the NFL's best players have been fielded by JF. What I'm getting at is....when that big pass, or catch, or block, etc., had to be made, our leaking facilities or Walmart brand athletic tape isn't quantifiable as the reason for coming up small. It just isn't. There has been MORE than enough talent to have a single freaking 11 win regular season and clinching a playoff spot. I mean, is a decade of time still not sufficient to at least accomplish that?
I've made this comment several times in the past: during the first 25 years of the Paterno era, his teams largely were made up of blue collar kids from Western, Central and Northeastern PA and NJ. These kids grew up as sons of mill workers, coal miners, laborers, etc., and they were tough minded and hard-nosed who didn't take any quarter and were extremely thankful to be at PSU. Also, many of these kids gew up with a love and loyaty towards PSU. I really believe that this contributed to their poise when the going got tough.

Lately, I just haven't sensed that the PSU teams have this tough nosed attitude. Rather, they resemble more of a glamorous West Coast team like a USC or UCLA: when things are going well for them, they're great, but they fold as soon as they get punched in the mouth. This was happening at Michigan too after Carr left, but Harbaugh finally changed the mentality and turned them into the type of team that Schembechler used to coach.

🥱

I've made this comment several times in the past: during the first 25 years of the Paterno era, his teams largely were made up of blue collar kids from Western, Central and Northeastern PA and NJ. These kids grew up as sons of mill workers, coal miners, laborers, etc., and they were tough minded and hard-nosed who didn't take any quarter and were extremely thankful to be at PSU. Also, many of these kids gew up with a love and loyaty towards PSU. I really believe that this contributed to their poise when the going got tough.

Lately, I just haven't sensed that the PSU teams have this tough nosed attitude. Rather, they resemble more of a glamorous West Coast team like a USC or UCLA: when things are going well for them, they're great, but they fold as soon as they get punched in the mouth. This was happening at Michigan too after Carr left, but Harbaugh finally changed the mentality and turned them into the type of team that Schembechler used to coach.
Exactly and I have serious doubts Franklin has what it takes to get us to be a physically and mentally tough team. We have a lot of amazing athletes but still seem soft when the going gets tough.

Not sure how many more woulda coulda shoulda years with Franklin we have to endure. It would be great if we can go out to LA and punch USC in the mouth on October 12th. Let's start with that!

Exactly and I have serious doubts Franklin has what it takes to get us to be a physically and mentally tough team. We have a lot of amazing athletes but still seem soft when the going gets tough.

Not sure how many more woulda coulda shoulda years with Franklin we have to endure. It would be great if we can go out to LA and punch USC in the mouth on October 12th. Let's start with that!
I believe that this issue probably is going to resolve itself within the next five years. Either Franklin is going to guide PSU into the playoffs in three to four of the next five seasons, or there probably will be a parting of the ways. PSU isn't spending all of this money to refurbish Beaver Stadium and then miss a twelve team playoff that it would've made five times since the 2016 season.

This is a tricky situation because, while Franklin has failed to guide PSU into the Final Four, he at least has made the program somewhat relevant nationally and has won a lot of games. If and when PSU decides to go in a different direction, and I hope that becomes a moot issue by Franklin succeeding, this decision could put this program into a downward spiral like Nebraska, Miami, etc., have experienced by making disastrous hires.

Last edited:
I believe that this issue probably is going to resolve itself within the next five years. Either Franklin is going to guide PSU into the playoffs in three to four of the next five seasons, or there probably will be a parting of the ways. PSU isn't spending all of this money to refurbish Beaver Stadium and then miss a twelve team playoff that it would've made five times since the 2016 season.

This is a tricky situation because, while Franklin has failed to guide PSU into the Final Four, he at least has made the program somewhat relevant nationally and has won a lot of games. If and when PSU decides to go in a different direction, and I hope that becomes a moot issue by Franklin succeeding, this decision could put this program into a downward spiral like Nebraska, Miami, etc., have experienced by making disastrous hires.
Being scared of becoming Miami doesn't make sense. You make the move then make another move if that doesn't work. Ohio State survived when Tressel and Meyer left. Bama will survive Saban leaving. If Franklin can't win titles then there's no point in sticking with him. The objective isn't to be "great but not elite". The objective is to win. It's why Richt was fired--rightfully so.

How does the No 1 defense in the nation play soft football? Several top 10 defenses under Franklin as well. We're not 3 yards and a cloud of dust on offense, but who has been other than Michigan for a few years.

Reactions: joeaubie21
How does the No 1 defense in the nation play soft football? Several top 10 defenses under Franklin as well. We're not 3 yards and a cloud of dust on offense, but who has been other than Michigan for a few years.
Our line play is soft especially against good teams. Not a good pass rush from the D Line. O-Line is a little above average maybe. Was miserable for many years (oh yeah all BOB's fault...lol). How many years did we have to suffer through the 4th an 6 inches call and pray to God we could eek out the first and half the time we couldn't.

Our line play is soft especially against good teams. Not a good pass rush from the D Line. O-Line is a little above average maybe. Was miserable for many years (oh yeah all BOB's fault...lol). How many years did we have to suffer through the 4th an 6 inches call and pray to God we could eke out the first and half the time we couldn't.
Bull💩. Watch the first quarter of the past Michigan game. Our pass rush was unbelievable. They hammered Mich every time they attempted to pass. Pass rushers were so quick the QB didn’t even have time to set up. They lost more yards than they gained. The QB was limping around and the announcers predicted he wouldn’t survive to halftime.

About the middle of second qtr they quit passing altogether. Only had tried one single pass attempt the entire second half…..and it was negated by a penalty. So no official pass attempts the entire half. Never thought I would see that in modern football….. even in bad weather there is more passing.

The problem is our rush defense. Guys are too light and got pushed around by Mich and an Illinois unbalanced line.

Yes, it is frustrating that we are so, so close to OSU and just cannot get over the hump. We do blow big games, but we have been remade into a respected program following Sandusky. Franklin deserves credit for quickly getting us back to the mean of performance that Joe Pa ran between 1995 - 2011. But quite frankly we have not won a natty since 1986 and have not been in that elite conversation since 1994. Yes, Franklin can improve, but we’re damn lucky to have him and he’s doing no worse than Joe did before the Sandusky scandal nearly killed the program.

Yes, it is frustrating that we are so, so close to OSU and just cannot get over the hump. We do blow big games, but we have been remade into a respected program following Sandusky. Franklin deserves credit for quickly getting us back to the mean of performance that Joe Pa ran between 1995 - 2011. But quite frankly we have not won a natty since 1986 and have not been in that elite conversation since 1994. Yes, Franklin can improve, but we’re damn lucky to have him and he’s doing no worse than Joe did before the Sandusky scandal nearly killed the program.
Joe in his prime would coach circles around Franklin. Yeah Franklin is good but my concern is he hit his ceiling. We may very well never get to the top again with Franklin or even onto the final 4 and apparently everyone except very few on this board are okay with that. I'm not.

Bull💩. Watch the first quarter of the past Michigan game. Our pass rush was unbelievable. They hammered Mich every time they attempted to pass. Pass rushers were so quick the QB didn’t even have time to set up. They lost more yards than they gained. The QB was limping around and the announcers predicted he wouldn’t survive to halftime.

About the middle of second qtr they quit passing altogether. Only had tried one single pass attempt the entire second half…..and it was negated by a penalty. So no official pass attempts the entire half. Never thought I would see that in modern football….. even in bad weather there is more passing.

The problem is our rush defense. Guys are too light and got pushed around by Mich and an Illinois unbalanced line.
Respectfully disagree. I think we are soft on the lines. I think the interior defensive line has not been so hot. Mustipher was a good one until he got hurt then he lost something. The O-Line has been okay as I said but can't overpower good teams.

Respectfully disagree. I think we are soft on the lines. I think the interior defensive line has not been so hot. Mustipher was a good one until he got hurt then he lost something. The O-Line has been okay as I said but can't overpower good teams.
Well, we just had three o line guys go to the NFL. And one last year, IIRC. That’s four outta five. And the guys up next are expected to be as good. Maybe better as they mature.

And again, we had a top notch pass rush. It was run defense that we were weak.

Well, we just had three o line guys go to the NFL. And one last year, IIRC. That’s four outta five. And the guys up next are expected to be as good. Maybe better as they mature.

And,has been said on here a bunch, JF traditionally has always had smaller interior guys...not the space eaters you need. No matter how it gets spinned on here...he has done a terrible job of specifically DT and finding game wreckers. Sans PJ who was good, that has been a position with just guys.

Putting guys in the NFL hasn't been a problem for JF...it's actually been a huge strength how he has made our program top flight in the combine. Why can't they blossom into an 11 win (reg season) or better team then? The OL has a laundry list of guys now in the league, to his credit. Yet, they can't seem to be cohesive enough to win our bigger games.

Joe in his prime would coach circles around Franklin. Yeah Franklin is good but my concern is he hit his ceiling. We may very well never get to the top again with Franklin or even onto the final 4 and apparently everyone except very few on this board are okay with that. I'm not.
If I was forced to bet my retirement savings on the subject, I would bet that Franklin does not equal Joe in his prime. But I do have hope that he can get there. I think this season specifically is his most important. The pieces are there at almost every position group. If Allar can equal Cliff’s last year, we are in the playoffs and win at least one game there. If he can live up to his recruiting stars, we can win it all.

We don't know what Zollers priorities are, but we have heard that NIL $ played into it, so judging his thoughts on PSU QB development doesn't seem logical.

Hack did not have the athletic ability and decision making to perform at a high level in Franklin's offenses. He had a nice arm which BOB's offense could use, but not much more, and that arm wasn't enough to make a career in the NFL even as a backup. He's a great young man and representative for PSU, but I don't believe any current high school QB would base any of their evaluation of PSU as a choice on what happened to Hack at PSU.

Clifford is an NFL backup and based on his physical talent it would seem that he was developed to maximize those talents.

And most preseason "expert" predictions seem to believe that Allar will be one of the top QB's in the B10 and possibly nation wide.

So the constant diss of PSU's QB development seems stale, especially since PSU now has a new OC and QB coach. Young athletes seem to base their decisions on the here and now more so than PSU fans it seems.

Our line play is soft especially against good teams. Not a good pass rush from the D Line. O-Line is a little above average maybe. Was miserable for many years (oh yeah all BOB's fault...lol). How many years did we have to suffer through the 4th an 6 inches call and pray to God we could eek out the first and half the time we couldn't.
Total nonsense. You don't have multiple top ten defenses, and lead the country in sacks with your words.

Lol at OB, not BoB. He absolutely left the cupboard bare regarding the Oline. Wth are you smoking.

Bull💩. Watch the first quarter of the past Michigan game. Our pass rush was unbelievable. ......

The PSU rush defense wasn't the whole problem.

The other part of the problem was Michigan's Oline being a premier unit that was pretty much able to run the ball at will all year against whoever lined up against them. My understanding is that they lost their top 6 Olinemen. As with QB's, olinemen take time to develop and it's very difficult to replace a whole unit, although the transfer portal can help out with olines just as it can with QB's..........

Putting guys in the NFL hasn't been a problem for JF...it's actually been a huge strength how he has made our program top flight in the combine. Why can't they blossom into an 11 win (reg season) or better team then? The OL has a laundry list of guys now in the league, to his credit. Yet, they can't seem to be cohesive enough to win our bigger games.
Because football is played with eleven guys at a time on the field. If you have eight great guys the opposition will find the weakest three and exploit them. And a guy can be great against a player on one team and suck against the next team.

Rumors are there were serious issues between Franklin and the O coordinator. That can really screw up a team as players detect friction and it definitely affects them.

Michigan offensive tackles are a great example. They dominated against Buckeyes and most teams. Against us on pass plays they looked they had tar on their feet and could barely move because our ends were so exceptionally quick off the ball.

Football is about match ups. It’s what good coaches do. And adjusting to game situations is Franklins biggest weakness. IMO.

And,has been said on here a bunch, JF traditionally has always had smaller interior guys...not the space eaters you need. No matter how it gets spinned on here...he has done a terrible job of specifically DT and finding game wreckers. Sans PJ who was good, that has been a position with just guys.
Elite DT's are in short supply. Franklin has "found" them, but too many times came up second when those 1 or 2 each year that he recruited extremely hard made their final decisions.

Makes me wonder what might have been if Larry Johnson Sr. could have been convinced to stay and be the DL coach under Franklin. LJ Sr. is an elite DL recruiter. Maybe he could have been the difference in getting that stud DT that instead chose Clemson and ended up a #1 draft choice.

Barnes has done a pretty good job so far in his short tenure as DL coach and if he develops more as a recruiter and coach it really could be what puts PSU into a better spot to compete with the current elite teams. That and the continued development of the PSU oline talent by Trautwein.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT