ADVERTISEMENT

One-on-one with James Franklin: Penn State coach talks NIL, playoffs and new staff

The PSU rush defense wasn't the whole problem.

The other part of the problem was Michigan's Oline being a premier unit that was pretty much able to run the ball at will all year against whoever lined up against them. My understanding is that they lost their top 6 Olinemen. As with QB's, olinemen take time to develop and it's very difficult to replace a whole unit, although the transfer portal can help out with olines just as it can with QB's..........
But watch the first quarter again and see how horrible their pass protection was. Kudos to their interim coach for seeing the problems and making the correct adjustments. Took balls to completely stop passing when you had a highly regarded QB. Especially for a substitute coach.

Respectfully disagree. I think we are soft on the lines. I think the interior defensive line has not been so hot. Mustipher was a good one until he got hurt then he lost something. The O-Line has been okay as I said but can't overpower good teams.
Which goes to my other point…..we don’t have the depth that the top five do. Look at their recruiting. Regularly have twice as many 4/5 stars than we do. When a guy goes down they plug in another stud.

Clifford goes down vs Iowa and we lose. He could barely move against Illinois and we lost that one. Same with Mustipher….losing him changed our entire defense.

An o lineman goes down and our pass protection falls apart. A d back gets hurt and opponents exploit it.

In a tough thirteen game schedule against physical teams depth is critical.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Hotshoe
Total nonsense. You don't have multiple top ten defenses, and lead the country in sacks with your words.

Lol at OB, not BoB. He absolutely left the cupboard bare regarding the Oline. Wth are you smoking.
Found another Franklin apologist! Man they come out of the woodwork. Same tired excuses, top 10 defense, NFL picks, O'Brien left the cupboard bare, blah, blah, blah The brutal facts are we have been manhandled at the LOS by Michigan the last two years (ran it down our throats) and we obviously can't get these O-Linemen that are drafted to perform at an elite level for PSU. I guess that is O'Brien's fault as well. Overall the lines are not dominant nor physical enough. You can cry and whine all you want but that is my take and I ain't changing it.

Found another Franklin apologist! Man they come out of the woodwork. Same tired excuses, top 10 defense, NFL picks, O'Brien left the cupboard bare, blah, blah, blah The brutal facts are we have been manhandled at the LOS by Michigan the last two years (ran it down our throats) and we obviously can't get these O-Linemen that are drafted to perform at an elite level for PSU. I guess that is O'Brien's fault as well. Overall the lines are not dominant nor physical enough. You can cry and whine all you want but that is my take and I ain't changing it.
Dude, get over yourself. Nothing but bullsh&t gaslighting. OB's O line recruiting was absolute crap due to sanctions. Michigan blatantly cheated. Lmao

The brutal facts are, you're completely fos. OB left virtually nothing in the cupboard. That is reality. Meanwhile, you do nothing but gaslight with obnoxious bullsh&t and lies. Get lost. Only gutless wonders like you post nonsense like this sh&t.

Reactions: bison13
Why don't you tell the board why you really hate Franklin. Did he hurt you somehow? Did Franklin ruin your life? Maybe, maybe, you need a puppy to get over your bullsh&t.

I'll be very plain with you. You haven't a fking clue what Franklin went through to rebuild this program.

Reactions: bison13 and royboy
And yes, I personally know what Franklin has done, gone through, and saw his attackers like you, that have no fking clue.

Name one single year, just one, PSU had the talent of Ohio State under Franklin. You can't. Get lost with your bullsh&t. If you had a fking brain, you'd appreciate, we still have a team. Penn State won't sign another 4 or 5 star player in the next ten years. That was said by the owner of Rivals you moron.

Reactions: bison13
The brutal facts are, you're completely fos. OB left virtually nothing in the cupboard. That is reality. Meanwhile, you do nothing but gaslight with obnoxious bullsh&t and lies. Get lost. Only gutless wonders like you post nonsense like this sh&t.
Wow, I feel bad you have such pent up anger. Praying you lighten up. Go Penn State!!

Interesting. When your god-like ban hammer gets taken away, the true self appears. Seems as if ole hot shoe's film just got fogged.

Name one single year, just one, PSU had the talent of Ohio State under Franklin. You can't. Get lost with your bullsh&t. If you had a fking brain, you'd appreciate, we still have a team. Penn State won't sign another 4 or 5 star player in the next ten years. That was said by the owner of Rivals you moron.

Man, why so angry? Good Lord.

I don't think Penn State has had more talent than OSU since.......the 90s perhaps? And even then, John Cooper teams were damn talented. The obvious problem is, lesser talented teams win all the time. As I noted before, Auburn beat Saban-coached Bama teams 4 times -- never with as much talent as Bama. That's what coaching (or having a dynamic QB) will do.

We sure as hell had a lot more talent than many of the teams that have beat us over the past several years.

Speaking of talent......looks like Kainoa Winston is trending to Michigan.....right after visiting Penn State. These are the battles we absolutely have to win, and there's no real excuse not to. We can't win everyone, but we're not winning enough of them. That all adds up......and gets us beat when we play top-10 teams.

Reactions: scrivener
Man, why so angry? Good Lord.

I don't think Penn State has had more talent than OSU since.......the 90s perhaps? And even then, John Cooper teams were damn talented. The obvious problem is, lesser talented teams win all the time. As I noted before, Auburn beat Saban-coached Bama teams 4 times -- never with as much talent as Bama. That's what coaching (or having a dynamic QB) will do.

We sure as hell had a lot more talent than many of the teams that have beat us over the past several years.

Speaking of talent......looks like Kainoa Winston is trending to Michigan.....right after visiting Penn State. These are the battles we absolutely have to win, and there's no real excuse not to. We can't win everyone, but we're not winning enough of them. That all adds up......and gets us beat when we play top-10 teams.
This is why I'm mind boggled when posters equate overall talent as some linear metric to winning all the time. So, PSU should NEVER beat Bama, Ohio St, and a few others on any given day b/c some rating system has them ranked lower in talent. What a lame, soft fan thinking. CFB has 'upsets' all the time, as you alluded. I mean every freaking Saturday. The pardon that is given on here b/c some people think sports are linear and quantifiable like that is insane. Yet, when we have lost to teams with lesser talent in the past, it's because BOB left the cupboard bare, lol...like we are in the Twilight Zone.

Reactions: ryoder1
This is why I'm mind boggled when posters equate overall talent as some linear metric to winning all the time. So, PSU should NEVER beat Bama, Ohio St, and a few others on any given day b/c some rating system has them ranked lower in talent. What a lame, soft fan thinking. CFB has 'upsets' all the time, as you alluded. I mean every freaking Saturday. The pardon that is given on here b/c some people think sports are linear and quantifiable like that is insane. Yet, when we have lost to teams with lesser talent in the past, it's because BOB left the cupboard bare, lol...like we are in the Twilight Zone.
Despite OSU having a talent advantage ever since Mayer became their coach, there is no excuse that PSU only has beaten them one time since the 2012 season. The frustrating thing is that until Michigan began to assert their dominance over them, nobody had played OSU consistently as well as PSU has in that time period other than when they would play in the playoffs or championship game. Just think how the narrative would've changed if PSU had won a few of the winnable games against them in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022 and 2023.

There is no excuse for losing 9 out of 10 to OSU. That is the simple answer. Our talent level has been excellent and certainly good enough to win more. Just look at the games 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023 were all winnable. Did I expect to win them all? No but my God not get totally shut out.

Why did we lose all of them? I point to being mentally and physically soft in winning time. We could not close out any game when we had the lead and OSU made the winning plays. This is in our culture from the coaches to the players. Hopefully this trend changes but for now this is what we got.

There is no excuse for losing 9 out of 10 to OSU. That is the simple answer. Our talent level has been excellent and certainly good enough to win more. Just look at the games 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023 were all winnable. Did I expect to win them all? No but my God not get totally shut out.

Why did we lose all of them? I point to being mentally and physically soft in winning time. We could not close out any game when we had the lead and OSU made the winning plays. This is in our culture from the coaches to the players. Hopefully this trend changes but for now this is what we got.
We lost one with four of the most horrendous referee calls in sports history, lost one in double overtime, lost one by one point….with three blatant holds on one call.

There’s only one solution……FIRE EVERYBODY!!!!

We lost one with four of the most horrendous referee calls in sports history, lost one in double overtime, lost one by one point….with three blatant holds on one call.

There’s only one solution……FIRE EVERYBODY!!!!

Nobody outside of Penn State boards like this takes this seriously. Nobody thinks, "man, that PSU-OSU series has been marred by terrible calls against Penn State!".

The bad calls in 2014 were obvious. Beyond that, these are weak excuses. Blame the fact that our DBs couldn't tackle worth a shit in 2018. Blame the fact that our OL couldn't block a statue in that 2017 second half. Blame the fact that our coach runs the ball on 4th and 5. Blame the fact that Clifford gave the ball away like prizes on Oprah in 2021 and 2022. Blame the fact that we didn't double team Tuimoloau in 2022. Blame the fact that our man press strategy against Harrison torched us twice. And so on.

Our players talked lots of shit in 2018 -- Shareef Miller calling Haskins soft and all. We talked all kinds of shit in their house in 2019 -- Lamont Wade and the whole shirtless intimidation thing. We talked lots of shit before last year's game. Franklin teams talk a big game in this matchup, but flat out don't deliver. That's on the coach at the top.

We've gotten calls in OSU games, too. We got away with a few blatant holds in last year's game -- especially blocking Tuimoloau. It happens. That shit happens in every game. Those who insist on blaming the refs for a decades-long trend are obviously coping.

Nobody outside of Penn State boards like this takes this seriously. Nobody thinks, "man, that PSU-OSU series has been marred by terrible calls against Penn State!".

The bad calls in 2014 were obvious. Beyond that, these are weak excuses.

Holding? Dude, we got away with several holds in our game in Columbus last year. Particular on the Tuimoloau kid. I was watching the game with an OSU buddy of mine. We were giving each other hell throughout, but he stopped and hit rewind on a few instances in which we very clearly got away with holds. To include on the big pass play to Theo Johnson (which was our biggest gain of the day, IIRC).

That shit happens in every game. Those who insist on blaming the refs for a decades-long trend are obviously coping.
That game was the worst because it felt like it was there for the taking and we just refused to take advantage. Finally, OSU said well if you don't want it then we will put you out of your misery and hit Harrison Jr for a TD. Franklin seemed lost in that game along with Yurcich. Coached scared with no ability to make adjustments.

Which goes to my other point…..we don’t have the depth that the tip give do. Look at theI recruiting. Regularly have twice as many 4/5 stars than we do. When a guy goes down they plug in another stud.

Clifford goes down vs Iowa and we lose. He could barely move against Illinois and we lost that one. Same with Mustipher….losing him changed our entire defense.

An o lineman goes down and our pass protection falls apart. A d back gets hurt and opponents exploit it.

In a tough thirteen game schedule against physical teams depth is critical.
This is why we haven't held up against tOSU, nor has anyone except the last two years. Furthermore, Michigan cheated to do so. Fan base reality is delusional if folks believe we have been very close to tOSU. It's a tiring argument. Franklin should have done better. No excuse for losing this many. It's not excuses, it's reality.

Here's another game, PSU vs USC in the Rose Bowl. We lose a top linebacker and it's game over. Fact is, we haven't had their talent, and especially their depth, in decades. Who says we should have done better? Why? The same mindset is calling for the head of Ryan Day. Fact is, among top teams, games are won in the 4th quarter when depth matters most.

Penn State still battles the stigma of Sandusky, and that's a fact. All you have to do is read that idiot out of Philly who wrote the paragraph regarding Franklin and Barkley regarding the Eagles. Over 50% of responses bring up Sandusky.

Location? Shift in demographics? Come on man… that has nothing to do with performance on the field. Deliver when it matters and top kids will keep coming. Talent isn’t the issue as much as not delivering when the bright lights are on. Coming up flat against Kentucky and Arkansas in bowl games doesn’t help either. Or vs. Minnesota when ur unbeaten and have a week to prep.
No doubt you're one of those fans that will bring up coming up short in bowl games against Kentucky and Arkansas and then says the bowl wins in MAJOR NY6 bowl games the Rose, the Cotton and the Fiesta don't mean anything.

I swear Penn State could go 15-0 and people would bitch because we didn't score enough, gave up too many points, and didn't win by enough.

Right now, if Franklin retired, he'd get elected to the college football hall of fame based on his three major bowl wins, a Big 10 title and winning percentage, but that's not good enough for so many.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
If I was forced to bet my retirement savings on the subject, I would bet that Franklin does not equal Joe in his prime. But I do have hope that he can get there. I think this season specifically is his most important. The pieces are there at almost every position group. If Allar can equal Cliff’s last year, we are in the playoffs and win at least one game there. If he can live up to his recruiting stars, we can win it all.
Few coaches ever equaled Joe in his prime. That's a pretty safe bet. Or do you have a lot of unrealistic expectations in life?

No doubt you're one of those fans that will bring up coming up short in bowl games against Kentucky and Arkansas and then says the bowl wins in MAJOR NY6 bowl games the Rose, the Cotton and the Fiesta don't mean anything.

I swear Penn State could go 15-0 and people would bitch because we didn't score enough, gave up too many points, and didn't win by enough.

Right now, if Franklin retired, he'd get elected to the college football hall of fame based on his three major bowl wins, a Big 10 title and winning percentage, but that's not good enough for so many.
Has it been good enough for u so far? If this trend continues and we lose all of our big games and miss the playoffs, but James compiles enough wins staying in the sport for so many years and makes the college Hall of Fame, what difference does it make? Coaches at a program of our size should be judged on playing for championships. Forget going 15-0, lets make a playoff. Just because other people's expectations are much higher than yours doesn't mean that they are wrong either.

Reactions: ryoder1
Few coaches ever equaled Joe in his prime. That's a pretty safe bet. Or do you have a lot of unrealistic expectations in life?
I suppose I do have unrealistic expectations. For example, I used to think that all PSU fans and alums are of sound mind. I then read your response to my post and your response scattered my expectations. 🤪

I suppose I do have unrealistic expectations. For example, I used to think that all PSU fans and alums are of sound mind. I then read your response to my post and your response scattered my expectations. 🤪
I learned a long time ago that too few PSU fans and alums are of sound mind and your earlier post reaffirmed that.

Has it been good enough for u so far? If this trend continues and we lose all of our big games and miss the playoffs, but James compiles enough wins staying in the sport for so many years and makes the college Hall of Fame, what difference does it make? Coaches at a program of our size should be judged on playing for championships. Forget going 15-0, let’s make a playoff. Just because other people's expectations are much higher than yours doesn't mean that they are wrong either.
Being happy for what he has done but expecting more are not contradictory thoughts. One can do both.

The point is that Franklin has been very good for the program. People should be happy for what he accomplished under very difficult circumstances.

But now it is time to step up a notch. Win against a top five team and make the playoffs. He has two years to do so or things will get ugly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT