ADVERTISEMENT

A different perspective on Journey Brown's record 100 meter run.

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
I love track and field, and during this time of year get a little geeked out with times and distances. I went to Dyestat.com to check in on how his 10.43 seconds compares nationally. While he is fairly far down on the list, you will note that he and two other kids are the only representatives from above the Mason-Dixon Line with times under 10.5 seconds. My guess is that had he been training in FL, TX, or southern CA, he would have an even more impressive time.

The other thing is that the kid who may have been the fastest guy in the state, Terrence Laird of Coatesville, couldn't run the 100 at states because he DQed in districts. His 200 time was outrageous (20.83 seconds), and he look like he was shot out of a cannon running anchor for Coatesville's gold medal 4 x 100 meter relay. Sorry we couldn't see Journey run against Laird in the 100.

Great showing for Journey Brown on a wet day!

Conestoga (my old track team) won the 4 X 880 in 1974, so it has been a long time the 4 x 8something has een running.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I love track and field, and during this time of year get a little geeked out with times and distances. I went to Dyestat.com to check in on how his 10.43 seconds compares nationally. While he is fairly far down on the list, you will note that he and two other kids are the only representatives from above the Mason-Dixon Line with times under 10.5 seconds. My guess is that had he been training in FL, TX, or southern CA, he would have an even more impressive time.

The other thing is that the kid who may have been the fastest guy in the state, Terrence Laird of Coatesville, couldn't run the 100 at states because he DQed in districts. His 200 time was outrageous (20.83 seconds), and he look like he was shot out of a cannon running anchor for Coatesville's gold medal 4 x 100 meter relay. Sorry we couldn't see Journey run against Laird in the 100.

So if Laird were the real favorite and uber-fast PA Track guy, what explains him not breaking Leroy Burrell's 32 year old PIAA Record nor winning last year's PIAA Meet (Journey Brown was the defending PIAA Champion)???

Also, Leroy Burrell, whose 32 year old PA High School Record Journey just broke was a two-time World Record holder (June 1991 - 9.90 and July 1994 - 9.85), an Olympic Gold Medalist (1992 Barcelona 4x100) and multiple WC medal winner. I'd say the current Pennsy Sprint Champion, all-time record-holder and back-to-back winner of the event is in pretty good company as those things go (Burrell was from Philly area north of the Mason-Dixon Line)... As to all these uber-fast High School times in front of Brown's record-setting PA time, I would say the explanation may lie in the way the "Southern" and "California" meets were timed rather than where the locals are located relative to the Mason-Dixon line.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Good stuff. If you are an old timer, you remember certain kids like Tony Darden for Norristown. But for my money and if you saw him, nobody was as fast as Earl Brown in the early 70's. I remember watching his races - his anchor on the 880 relay in 1974 was an all timer. Anchor leg split of 20.3 and I swore some had it faster. Was buried at the exchange and rocketed past the field on his leg. I can still hear the crowd in Beaver Stadium.

Reactions: Flakin and N&B4PSU

Add to that most of the kids on the list only run track and don't get beat up playing football (although Anthony Schwartz who ran a barely legal 10.15 does play football). If Journey Brown stays at running back and gets a lot of touches, I'd be surprised if he gets faster.

Good stuff. If you are an old timer, you remember certain kids like Tony Darden for Norristown. But for my money and if you saw him, nobody was as fast as Earl Brown in the early 70's. I remember watching his races - his anchor on the 880 relay in 1974 was an all timer. Anchor leg split of 20.3 and I swore some had it faster. Was buried at the exchange and rocketed past the field on his leg. I can still hear the crowd in Beaver Stadium.
Also, William Reed of Central High in the 80s - although the Philly schools did not compete in the PIAA at that time.

LINK: Whatever happened to William Reed?

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Conestoga (my old track team) won the 4 X 880 in 1974, so it has been a long time the 4 x 8something has een running.
Gotcha. In jersey they ran 4 x 800 in relay meets, but not individual championships (now it's run in both).

No snark intended, honestly, but what does geographic location have to do with anything? With all of the indoor training options available to athletes today, what does it matter where you live in terms of being able to train for an event like this? Again, I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm really looking to be educated. Thanks.

I think he meant that in the south, where's there are a lot of fast kids, the competition is more significant and the kids get pushed more. There may be more resources available as well, since (I'm guessing) the outdoor track season is longer. At the very least, it's a lot easier to train outside in areas where there is little or no winter.

Gotcha. In jersey they ran 4 x 800 in relay meets, but not individual championships (now it's run in both).

It's been run since at least the mid 60s. State College HS set the national record back in 1966 or so at states. A good friend of mine ran on the state champ team in 1971.

P.S. States back then were run in Beaver Stadium.

Last edited:

Terrence Laird signed with PSU. He and Brown, assuming he runs track, will strengthen PSU's already strong sprint crew.

Reactions: 19333lion
Michael Timpson had a pretty good football and track career, although he did miss alot of football due to injuries. Ended up playing in the NFL from 89-97.

It's been run since at least the mid 60s. State College HS set the national record back in 1966 or so at states. A good friend of mine ran on the state champ team in 1971.

P.S. States back then were run in Beaver Stadium.

Yea, used to be 4x880 (yards), but don't think it was run in all meets. 880 yards converts to a slightly longer distance (just under 805 meters) so times are not perfectly comparable especially in a 4x Relay Race. Don't remember what year the PIAA went over to metric distances....but I think it was the late 70s.

No snark intended, honestly, but what does geographic location have to do with anything? With all of the indoor training options available to athletes today, what does it matter where you live in terms of being able to train for an event like this? Again, I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm really looking to be educated. Thanks.

There aren't as many indoor training options for track as you might think. That's one of the reasons many high schools don't field indoor track teams. That's particularly true for sprinters. Distance runners have less of a problem. They simply run outdoors. When it's cold outside, they just bundle up. Thus you'll see more distance runners from colder climes on national lists.

Terrence Laird signed with PSU. He and Brown, assuming he runs track, will strengthen PSU's already strong sprint crew.

Michael Timpson had a pretty good football and track career, although he did miss alot of football due to injuries. Ended up playing in the NFL from 89-97.

Yes, these stats are highly relevant in regards to this topic as well
as providing some perspective as to the magnitude of what Brown just accomplished:
  • Brown broke Leroy Burrell's 32 year old PIAA Record set in 1985 (Burrell would go on to be a 2-time 100m World Record Holder in early-to-mid 1990s).
  • According to current records, only three Penn Staters have ever run faster than 10.43 in the 100 meters - all for the PSU Track Team. Prior to Xavier Smith (10.35) and Malik Moffett (10.42) this season, only Mike Sands (10.34), in 1975, are the only Penn Staters in history to have run faster.
  • Brown just broke the fastest 100m EVER recorded by a PSU Football Player - the fastest official 100m ever recorded by a Penn State football player was by Michael Timpson in 1987 (10.47).
Perhaps the most impressive part of all of it is that he ran the time in a steady rain which was less than optimal conditions for recording record times as all observers even testified! This kid has already entered legendary status and he has yet to set foot on PSU's campus - "impressive" would be a huge understatement!

Last edited:
Reactions: The Shelter

I remember Earl Brown from Middletown only in the press reports from the state meet. If I'm not mistaken, he was also a hell of a football player (i.e. RB), but was not reputed to have much on the ball academically. He didn't play in college. Tony Darden was a great 440 guy!

Reactions: Flakin
I think he meant that in the south, where's there are a lot of fast kids, the competition is more significant and the kids get pushed more. There may be more resources available as well, since (I'm guessing) the outdoor track season is longer. At the very least, it's a lot easier to train outside in areas where there is little or no winter.

Exactly! No genetic differences between north and south, but the weather makes a lot of difference in the sprints.

I remember Earl Brown from Middletown only in the press reports from the state meet. If I'm not mistaken, he was also a hell of a football player (i.e. RB), but was not reputed to have much on the ball academically. He didn't play in college. Tony Darden was a great 440 guy!

Yes, true. Brown did not attend college as his academics were poor. He is amongst the leaders in career PIAA gold. Ran in AA division but he was a man amongst boys. Would have been great to see him and Darden face off.

Exactly! No genetic differences between north and south, but the weather makes a lot of difference in the sprints.

Most of the improvement in time related to training is improvement to start times over the first 30 meters (i.e. start to maximum top-end speed). In terms of pure top-end speed, where you're from geographically makes no real difference. The things that matter in terms of football are maximum top-end, straight-line speed and ability to carry speed while making lateral cuts. Given that Brown has run proven times faster than any other person who has ever played football for PSU and just broke two-time 100m World Record Holder Leroy Burrell's 32 year old PIAA Record (in a steady rain no less), I think he's in pretty good shape as far as relative speed goes.

Earl Brown's main competition in D3 was Scott Fitzkee. They were in different Classes, so they never went head to head in Districts or States, but faced off in various events. Brown was always .1-.2 faster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT