ADVERTISEMENT

A great win on many levels

Jerry

May 29, 2001
This was never gonna be an easy game. USC is a good team. They have a lot of good players. And their season was on the line.

But dealing with adversity...coming from two TD's back...putting Drew in a position where he had to lead the team in the 2nd half in order to overcome the deficit...these are all very important things going forward.

I feel like we now have the inside track for a playoff spot, regardless of what happens against Ohio State in early November.

But it won't be automatic. We need to show up in every game the rest of the way. As it stands, we'll be favored to win all of them except the one against the Buckeyes.

First trap game: in Madison coming off our bye next week. Wisconsin is a good team and we need to go in there ready for a war.

A lot of guys came up big today. I do wish I knew what's going on with Nick Singleton. Something about the way they used him and the way he performed today raises questions.

That aside, winning a big game...a pressure game...after falling behind...on the road...and in the process holding on to a top-5 ranking...taken together means a lot.

This was never gonna be an easy game. USC is a good team. They have a lot of good players. And their season was on the line.

But dealing with adversity...coming from two TD's back...putting Drew in a position where he had to lead the team in the 2nd half in order to overcome the deficit...these are all very important things going forward.

I feel like we now have the inside track for a playoff spot, regardless of what happens against Ohio State in early November.

But it won't be automatic. We need to show up in every game the rest of the way. As it stands, we'll be favored to win all of them except the one against the Buckeyes.

First trap game: in Madison coming off our bye next week. Wisconsin is a good team and we need to go in there ready for a war.

A lot of guys came up big today. I do wish I knew what's going on with Nick Singleton. Something about the way they used him and the way he performed today raises questions.

That aside, winning a big game...a pressure game...after falling behind...on the road...and in the process holding on to a top-5 ranking...taken together means a lot.

Yep, definitely a "gut check" if I've ever seen one. Type of game that can do wonders for your confidence and launch you into your best play the 2nd half of year.

Allar and Warren were unreal. Everyone stepped up in the second half. Fleming was clutch after a drop.

In my view Fleming may be the player feeling the best for the flight home. Allar went to him on both critical 4th down throws. They were not easy catches, especially given that he did not make the previous plays. Frankly, I was shocked at how those downs played out. An emotional roller coaster for sure.

In my view Fleming may be the player feeling the best for the flight home. Allar went to him on both critical 4th down throws. They were not easy catches, especially given that he did not make the previous plays. Frankly, I was shocked at how those downs played out. An emotional roller coaster for sure.

That first catch by Julian in particular was difficult...but he made it...and showed why he was rated so highly as a Pennsylvania kid coming out of high school. Ohio State's loss turns out to be our gain...finally.

It was so cool that we targeted him on those 4th-down life-or-death throws toward the end. As you said, the guy's gotta be feeling like a million bucks. He could probably fly home without an airplane.

There has been pure insanity in cfb this season. I think the portal is creating instability with many teams that lack cohesiveness. There is something to be said for Franklin maintaining stability that leads to success.
What stability? New coordinators, no KLS, 2 portal CBs, Gucci, Fleming, etc. I don't understand your point.

What stability? New coordinators, no KLS, 2 portal CBs, Gucci, Fleming, etc. I don't understand your point.
Franklin has developed a core team and merely supplements with portal as needed. He has successfully kept the best pieces of the roster intact in this age of recruiting one’s own roster every year. KLS was a cancer in the wr room. Not sure why you would mention him. Diaz left because of success. In cfb these days for the most part the teams constructed mostly by portal overhauls have ranged from disappointing to total failures this season. I gather from your message you are unhappy with our current record and ranking?

We were saying the same thing while watching the game. Not many carries or even as many snaps. Still lingering injury or sickness? Bye week has come at a good time for Nick.

Reactions: Jerry
We were saying the same thing while watching the game. Not many carries or even as many snaps. Still lingering injury or sickness? Bye week has come at a good time for Nick.

Agreed. The lingering-injury theory seems plausible and various people have expressed it, but then it's hard to explain why they would have run him inside the tackles on the give-up play right before half. Odd thing to do if you're limiting a guy's snaps due to health concerns. When he was in there, he seemed full-speed though he didn't have much of a game in the rushing department stats-wise.

USC totally flipped the script on us with regard to the run game. Theirs was highly productive. Ours less so.

That first catch by Julian in particular was difficult...but he made it...and showed why he was rated so highly as a Pennsylvania kid coming out of high school. Ohio State's loss turns out to be our gain...finally.

It was so cool that we targeted him on those 4th-down life-or-death throws toward the end. As you said, the guy's gotta be feeling like a million bucks. He could probably fly home without an airplane.
Jerry, agree totally. Except for 1 thing. You said Flemings gotta be feeling like a million bucks. Surely you meant he must be feeling like a million Lions!!!! 🙄

Reactions: Jerry
There has been pure insanity in cfb this season. I think the portal is creating instability with many teams that lack cohesiveness. There is something to be said for Franklin maintaining stability that leads to success.

Players in the Portal is part. Coaches portal every season too which adds instability. Entire teams portal to different conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT