ADVERTISEMENT

Feeling a lot better after Illinois 2024 than Illinois 2023

You're talking me into it.

Keep in mind that I never made a case to keep him in the status of #1 guy. In fact, I said in the OP that we have a problem at the kicking position.

I also confessed to feeling bad for the kid, which I do. I'm just a softie at heart. Never would have made it in the coaching profession.

Then again, it's easier to feel bad for him coming off a 14-point win. If he had missed a kick to lose a game, I'd probably feel worse for the rest of us.

I'm good with a change...but be careful what you ask for...it may not be what you think you're going to get...
The absolute worst thing that it can possibly be is exactly the same thing we have now: A kicker who cannot make easy field goals in games that matter. I'm VERY much being careful what I ask for and if there was ANY downside to a change I damn sure wouldn't be asking for it.

Right now they have a kicker who is incapable of performing on the big stage. If they make a change and it doesn't work, then they have another kicker who is incapable of making a field goal on a big stage. Same exact thing, but if they don't at least try it, they are not doing their job as coaches. We all feel bad for the kid, but this isn't little league with ice cream after the game, this is a major American sport with billions of dollars invested into it. As I said, the kid will feel a whole lot better without the pressure on him from the sidelines. Meyer made 17 out of 20 and even though it's Tulsa you can bet your ass their fan base would have been upset with him missing 67 percent of his kicks.

Another reason I want Meyer out there is just a hunch on my part, but...Meyer went to Mater Dei in Los Angeles and there is absolutely no high school program in America that is more big time and pressure filled than that. For some of these kids, you can't possibly quantify how it changes when suddenly you need to make a field goal in front of 110 thousand people wearing white, which matches the color of the goal posts, and the game in doubt. I want a kid who already knows what that feels like. I don't give a damn of his short field goals cross the uprights by 5 yards instead of Sahaydak hitting bombs that sail wide every time. I want three points. Let's go get three points and we can all apologize to the Sahaydak family after we finish in the top 11 and make the playoffs.

Deal?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT