ADVERTISEMENT

A9 report out in the open

I'd check the cabin where Gene Marsh and AM were sequestered during critical points in the scandal.

Good line - but in Gene's defense - he was retained to defend the accused after the accused's head was already on the chopping block and the executioner had started his back swing.

Reactions: Zenophile
Exactly. Jounalism is long gone... Reporters are lazy today and don't want to do the work. Add in they would have to admit everything they wrote earlier was wrong and goes against their narrative and slant. The media

... with the hard drive from his computer...
And one thing you can be sure of is that the vast majority of these "journalists", talk show hosts, etc who negatively comment on the report will not have even read it.

And given what I've seen with how the Sandusky matter was handled and all of the outside business interests and other conflicts at play, I don't see any plus in having business personnel dominate the BOT.

One thing you definitely want on a not-for-profit board is people who "can give and can get" donor dollars. Educators are rarely in a position to give major gifts or get major gifts from peers. That's why you want a good representation of business people on a board. For an educational institution, it's usually a mix of business executives ($$) and educators (program). A program dominated board is a significant liability when it comes to fundraising.

Helping to raise money is part of a board's fiduciary responsibility. I have a lot of issues with the way the PSU BoT is structured and how it conducts its business, but not with the simple fact that there are business people on the BoT.

I have not seen this mentioned in this thread, but.....

Any thoughts on the timing of the A7 Report's leak and the announcement that PS4RS won't endorse anyone in the BOT election this year? (All 3 incumbents looking to get re-elected are part of the A7.)

Reactions: nits74 and BBrown
Sweet Jeebzus.

So, how much should it cost to buy a seat on a governance board?

(And what fraction of the millions of dollars that Lubert has sucked off of the PSU teat should he give back? In order for everything to be "good"? :) )

I would bet dollars to donuts that being a PSU trustee has been a positive NPV project for Lubert and Dambly despite whatever money they have donated....

Dunno. But where was Jay saying this six years ago? Seems like I’d want to see the interview transcript where this was supposedly said.
Per the alumni report, there are no transcripts. One investigator asked questions and the other took notes. The alumni report also notes quotes attributed to Spanier in the Freeh report are no where to be found in his interview summary worksheet(s).

I have not seen this mentioned in this thread, but.....

Any thoughts on the timing of the A7 Report's leak and the announcement that PS4RS won't endorse anyone in the BOT election this year? (All 3 incumbents looking to get re-elected are part of the A7.)

I don't know what PS4RS's motive is by electing not to endorse BOT candidates/incumbents this year, but their release suggested they realize it's a lost cause and maybe not worth the effort. My guess is they're disappointed by the efforts of those elected too, but since they endorsed nearly all of them, I don't really know...

Reactions: 91Joe95 and BBrown
Per the alumni report, there are no transcripts. One investigator asked questions and the other took notes. The alumni report also notes quotes attributed to Spanier in the Freeh report are no where to be found in his interview summary worksheet(s).

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! No transcripts? No audio? Well done!!

tenor.gif

Jay's tweet seems to align with what he said during the talk show after his book was released. I think he said in response to a question of whether Joe knew about 1998, that there were 5 people who stated he did not know.[/QUOTE]
Ha - Fina is the pink elephant!
Fina, anticipating attorney-client issues down the road, has said he was willing to take that risk to get Baldwin's testimony on the record because he was convinced of the rightness of his position, Kittredge noted.

But Pennsylvania's rules of professional conduct for attorneys say "we're not going to take a risk (with something as close to the heart of the legal system as attorney-client privilege) until a judge.., with an opportunity to hear from both sides, determines that question," Kittredge told the board.

"We cannot have a system where our clients are going to have to worry that some day we (their lawyers) are going to turn against them," Kittredge continued. "And we don't."

Fina's attorney Joe McGettigan, in an emotional close of his own, stressed that the question to let Baldwin testify was in fact sanctioned by Feudale prior to, and by Dauphin County Judge Todd Hoover after, the event.

McGettigan also asked the panel to remember that Fina and his team were uncovering what would come to be called a "conspiracy of silence" at Penn State only through the course of the investigation.

Baldwin, a dedicated Penn Stater who knew Spanier, Curley and Schultz as a former Alumni Association president, a former trustee and finally, as a peer in senior leadership, unwittingly became a tool in that conspiracy.
"They viewed Justice Baldwin as a perfect vehicle," McGettigan said. "She was very loyal to the university. She was very loyal to them, as people... And they played on that."

McGettigan argued the PSU administrators, through proxies who filed this complaint, are still playing the Baldwin card, having claimed she was their personal lawyer only after the publicly-issued Freeh Report exposed emails, notes and billing records that put their knowledge of the Sandusky situation in a new light.

The complaint against Fina was based, in part, on complaints from two PSU alums, Wendy Silverwood and Janet Kudravetz.

Both have long been active in groups who believe the university's Paterno Era and several of its key figures were unfairly offered up as sacrificial lambs in the Sandusky case by those desperate to turn the page and "move on."

Fina and Baldwin have been frequent targets of those groups because of their central roles in the Penn State cover-up narrative.

Even if the panelists conclude Baldwin owed a duty of confidentiality to Spanier, Curley and Schultz, McGettigan argued, it would be rendered null and void by their participation in that cover-up.

As Fina's expert witness, former Pennsylvania Supreme Court Chief Justice Ron Castille put it, "you can't lie to your lawyer and expect your lawyer to be your counsel... It's as simple as that, and that's what they tried to do."

Am I remembering correctly that interviewees were forbidden from taking notes or recording their own interviews?

I would imagine the TV station in Altoona contacted Freeh and possibly the BOT (or Freeh did later) seeking comment saying they were going to publish the report so Freeh quickly crafted his response and most likely notified Barron/Dambly what was coming down the pike and make sure they had their responses in concert with one another....
Could be, except the details match nothing.
The Freeh Report was originally deemed an independent investigation commissioned by Penn State in 2012 and led by former FBI director Louis Freeh. This new confidential report initially released to university and board officials in July 2018 details how outside influences such as the NCAA and former Pennsylvania governor Tom Corbett allegedly impacted that autonomy.

At different portions of the review, the NCAA was blamed for attempting to secure findings to punish Penn State outside of its jurisdiction, while Corbett allegedly made decisions based on what it would mean for his legacy and took pride in his role in former university president Graham Spanier’s demise.

The review suggests that the Freeh Group worked to please the NCAA in hopes of becoming a consistent figure in its investigative matters. Corbett, meanwhile, was allegedly able to influence the Freeh Group as a key figure in hiring these investigators for the report.

Because of this lack of independence, the review claims the Freeh Group had an agenda before the investigation even began, noting that “football culture” was first addressed by investigators instead of interviewees.

One such instance was brought up after Freeh Group emails showed its interest in the help of Kathleen McChesney, the co-leader of the investigative team, who had expertise in the Catholic Church’s coverup of sexual assault and noted the similarities between the two cases.

“In summary, our document review revealed numerous indications that the Freeh Group lacked neutrality from the very beginning of their investigation, as they expected to find indications of cultural deficiencies at Penn State that had led to covering up for a pedophile, consistent with the situation in the Catholic Church,” the report reads.

Once the investigation did begin, the trustees’ commissioned report claims that the Freeh Group’s bias crept in.

Interviews of subjects were done with the FBI’s “302 Reporting” methodology, which relies on hand-written summaries instead of recordings or full transcripts.

“Critical players” in the case like Jerry Sandusky, Mike McQueary, and former athletic director Tim Curley were not interviewed, and the more than 430 individuals who were interviewed may have had certain quotes “cherry picked” out of context instead of the report relaying their full stories. Only a quarter of the initial interviews were cited in the final Freeh Report, according to the trustees.

The review explains that there were multiple drafts of interview notes from the investigative team and alleges that in some cases significant revisions had been made from draft to draft. In one case, a subject claimed in the report that upon review of the Freeh Group’s notes from his interview, major portions were left out and very specific details that worked for its story were included.

Another instance of quote cherry picking came during janitors’ interviews. The Freeh Report made a claim that a Penn State athletics janitor who witnessed Sandusky abusing a victim may have felt fear of losing his job if he reported, but supposedly used data from only one of the eight janitors interviewed.

“Most of the Lasch Building janitors did not believe that they would lose their jobs for reporting a problematic incident involving Sandusky,” the report reads.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Am I remembering correctly that interviewees were forbidden from taking notes or recording their own interviews?

Yes. IIRC those interviewed were forced to cooperate with the threat of losing their jobs if they refused.

They were not allowed to bring a lawyer in with them.

There was no exact transcription of what they said- just notes and ‘gestalt’ opinion of the Freeh interviewers.

The people questioned were not allowed to see the notes of their interview so they could not confirm accuracy or clarify issues. They did not receive a printed copy of their interviews.

After hearing Freeh attributed quotes to Spanier that reportedly were not in the interview notes and Jay Paterno now denies a quote attributed to him by Freeh, anyone interviewed should demand to see the notes of their interview for accuracy.

The Freeh group apparently shared these notes with the PA Attorney General office. I’m still shocked no one has raised the concern (much less sued) over being forced to testify while being denied legal representation.

Last edited:
Yes. IIRC those interviewed were forced to cooperate with the threat of losing their jobs if they refused.

They were not allowed to bring a lawyer in with them.

There was no exact transcription of what they said- just notes and ‘gestalt’ opinion of the Freeh interviewers.

The people questioned were not allowed to see the notes of their interview so they could not confirm accuracy or clarify issues. They did not receive a printed copy of their interviews (which I believe is standard practice).

After hearing Freeh attributed quotes to Spanier that reportedly were not in the interview notes and Jay Paterno now denies a quote attributed to him by Freeh, anyone interviewed should demand to see the notes of their interview for accuracy.

The Freeh group apparently shared these notes with the PA Attorney General office. I’m still shocked no one has raised the concern (much less sued) over being forced to testify while being denied legal representation.
The fact that our university allowed this to happen is unfathomable. You would think it was a third world country, but alas, it's Penn State that allowed it. Next they'll start banning certain speakers from universities. Oh wait...

I’m still shocked no one has raised the concern (much less sued) over being forced to testify while being denied legal representation.

Nobody was going to be locked up if they didn't submit to interrogation. They'd be in the unemployment line, but nobody was threatened with having their freedom taken away. All good. That would be the justification, anyway. Hey, you had a choice. Nobody had a gun to your head.

Given Penn State's impressive record of defending itself from civil litigation throughout all this, one wonders how a wrongful termination suit would have gone for them. Nobody knew at the time they were going to hand out cash by the boxcar full or maybe somebody would have tried it. Understandably, people would rather have their jobs. There was some twisted genius behind all this, I gotta give them credit. Some cranky employee with nothing to lose might have said "You know what, I'm not sitting down with you clowns, go to hell. Fire me. I dare you." That was a risk the Freehloaders were going to take. Likely they carefully avoided any such interviewee. Also begs the question if anybody did refuse to be interviewed and got canned.

The fact that our university allowed this to happen is unfathomable. You would think it was a third world country, but alas, it's Penn State that allowed it. Next they'll start banning certain speakers from universities. Oh wait...
Well, to be fair, we did have Vicky Triponey running the Student Affairs Department which meted out justice. How’s that for third world?

Last edited:

The slapknutts who arranged police protection for Bicycle Bernie tells you all you need to know.

The crazy thing to me is he wrote that report about them without speaking to any of them. I mean he threw Spanier a courtesy interview days before it was released IIRC, but that report was already written. How do you write an objective report without talking to the players actually involved?

Last edited:
They did not receive a printed copy of their interviews (which I believe is standard practice)
Just FYI it would not be standard practice to receive a copy of the meeting notes in a case of this sort. However it WOULD be standard practice for the interviewee to review and affirm their accuracy.

Just FYI it would not be standard practice to receive a copy of the meeting notes in a case of this sort. However it WOULD be standard practice for the interviewee to review and affirm their accuracy.

I stand corrected. ;) I’ll edit the original post.

Reactions: Zenophile

‘Banning certain speakers’ has nothing to do with what happened WRT Freeh.

‘Banning certain speakers’ has nothing to do with what happened WRT Freeh.
The point being, who would think people would be threatened in an interview on a college campus or speakers would be banned from universities? We're talking about people losing their jobs by folks that don't even have subpoena power. They literally have no power over an employee. Any employee could have simply said I'm not being interviewed. Last I checked this is still America and people still have individual rights.

Reactions: Bob78
"One individual indicated he was fired for failing to tell the interviewers what they wanted to hear; this is confirmed in a notation in the Freeh Group diary of an interviewee contemporaneously reporting his firing to the investigators." p. 22

K. Must have missed that. Skimmed it but didn't read everything. Thanks.

But here a guy played ball and got canned anyway. Hell of a spot to be in. You will appear and be questioned, or be fired. Or you might be fired anyway. Have a nice day. #oneteam

K. Must have missed that. Skimmed it but didn't read everything. Thanks.

But here a guy played ball and got canned anyway. Hell of a spot to be in. You will appear and be questioned, or be fired. Or you might be fired anyway. Have a nice day. #oneteam
There's so much in there that blows your mind, it's hard to keep track of and remember it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT