ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Tatsch

Lion_Backer

Jan 30, 2005
From a 10/6 TribLive article:

....' Alex Tatsch’s high school career is suddenly finished because the senior will have shoulder surgery Monday.

The senior Penn State linebacker commit has missed the last two-and-a-half games with pain in his shoulder, the same shoulder he had surgery on last year to repair a torn labrum.

“He has to get it done immediately,” Latrobe coach Ron Prady said. “It’s really tough for our guys. (Injuries) are part of football. The most important thing is Alex’s health and future. He is a great teammate.”.....

.....Tatsch was averaging 12.3 yards per carry. He has 724 yards rushing and eight touchdowns and has 56 tackles — eight for loss — a sack and an interception.

He said having the previous surgery makes the process less daunting.

“Definitely,” Tatsch said. “I know what to expect, and will be able to be more proactive. I will be back stronger than I’ve ever been.”.....'

Full Article

I wish the kid well. When you get back-to-back surgeries like this you start to become concerned about chronic injuries.

Tough positions to play with a bad shoulder. I hope his surgery goes well. That being said, two surgeries on the same shoulder doesn't auger well for his future in football.
I hear you.

He reminds me some of Poz and Dan Connor from back in the day - similar build and disposition on the football field.

I'm not a doctor and have had no personal experience with shoulder injuries so I hesitate to speculate.

I'm certain that it has happened to other players in the past who have incurred this type of reinjury and am wondering how their situations ended for the player.

I hear you.

He reminds me some of Poz and Dan Connor from back in the day - similar build and disposition on the football field.

I'm not a doctor and have had no personal experience with shoulder injuries so I hesitate to speculate.

I'm certain that it has happened to other players in the past who have incurred this type of reinjury and am wondering how their situations ended for the player.
Do you know when he had his first surgery? Perhaps he came back too soon after the first surgery.

Back in late December 2019, Jake Guentzel when he played for the Penguins injured his shoulder when he was checked into the boards. He subsequently had surgery and didn't play again until the Covid playoffs in August 2020, so he effectively didn't play for over seven months.

Per NittanySportsNow, it appears that he had this shoulder surgery in January:

"I’m practicing three days a week with our high school team now and also have been doing personal training throughout the summer,” Tatsch tells NSN. “It’s been going well. I’m getting faster and stronger and have been able to get a lot of strength back. I had shoulder surgery in January and have been able to get a lot of my strength back. Overall, I’m doing good.”

“I’m not really training to get down to a specific time. With the guy I’m training with, it’s for explosiveness and speed overall. Change of direction, linear speed, vertical jumping, all that stuff.”

When he’s not working on getting himself better, Tatsch is working to make money at his job. Aside from that, Tatsch is living in the moment before life changes next summer.

“I have a job so I’m working but really just hanging out with my buddies a lot since this is our last summer together,” said Tatsch. “I don’t want things to speed up, just trying to take in every moment I can this summer. I’m going to enjoy the summer, enjoy being in high school and try to take everything slow.”

Full Article

I watched him play against Norwin and he was an absolute beast on both sides of the ball!

"I’m practicing three days a week with our high school team now and also have been doing personal training throughout the summer,” Tatsch tells NSN. “It’s been going well. I’m getting faster and stronger and have been able to get a lot of strength back. I had shoulder surgery in January and have been able to get a lot of my strength back. Overall, I’m doing good.”

“I’m not really training to get down to a specific time. With the guy I’m training with, it’s for explosiveness and speed overall. Change of direction, linear speed, vertical jumping, all that stuff.”

When he’s not working on getting himself better, Tatsch is working to make money at his job. Aside from that, Tatsch is living in the moment before life changes next summer.

“I have a job so I’m working but really just hanging out with my buddies a lot since this is our last summer together,” said Tatsch. “I don’t want things to speed up, just trying to take in every moment I can this summer. I’m going to enjoy the summer, enjoy being in high school and try to take everything slow.”

Full Article

I watched him play against Norwin and he was an absolute beast on both sides of the ball!
Based on the first surgery being in January, I wouldn't be surprised if he started to do contact drills prematurely. I hope that's the case because if not, then you have to have concern that his body just may not be able to stand the rigors of this sport, and especially at that position.

Based on the first surgery being in January, I wouldn't be surprised if he started to do contact drills prematurely. I hope that's the case because if not, then you have to have concern that his body just may not be able to stand the rigors of this sport, and especially at that position.
Possibly.

But there are too many unknown variables to even draw an educated guess at this point in time.

I wonder if he plans on enrolling early and doing his rehab under the supervision of PSU's medical and training staff?

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Full Article

I was at the Norwin game too. Tatsch was impressive.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
I was at the Norwin game too. Tatsch was impressive.
I really hope that everything comes good for him because it's always good for PSU to have PA kids contributing to the success of the program because I just believe that PSU means more to a lot of those kids. Hopefully, the Fort Cherry kid, Matt Sieg, also becomes a Nittany Lion; he has Cooper De Jean written all over him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lion_Backer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT