ADVERTISEMENT

Football Amin Vanover charged with DUI

This^^^

I don't recall ever seeing an active player out on a Friday night before a football game during my time in State College. There was a MNC QB turned broadcaster who used to attend church services with my neighbor early Friday evenings.
My dad would come up for most home games during my Junior and Senior years 85/86. We had a standing dinner reservation at a little Italian place near Cedarbrook on Friday nights.

Sitting near us many nights was a scholarship player from NJ and his family. After dinner I think he headed out to Toftrees.

Went to The 2014 Egg Bowl in Oxford, MS. Closest hotel w we could get was in Tupelo. We were surprised when 6 buses pulled up hauling the Ole Miss team to their pregame safe haven.

I'd be shocked if we didn't have some sort of accommodations for the night before home games....

Reactions: Lion_Backer
Logan Webb admits he was hungover for the All Star game...people make mistakes

"It was probably one of the more hungover days I've been, the day of the All-Star Game. I take responsibility for that. I was having a blast. It was a cool experience, I'm watching the Derby, they had a postgame players' celebration, like a party for the players and their families.
"It was in the middle of the Cowboys stadium, Lil Jon was DJing. It's free alcohol, I just enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy when my wife woke me up at 7 in the morning and said, 'Hey, I've got to get my makeup done right now', and I was like, 'Oh no, this is going to be a long day.' And it was a long day."

You can legally buy THC and products with THC damn near everywhere... What a joke. They should set up a Road Block, Stop and search every vehicle traveling on College Avenue and test for marijuana and pass out dui tickets. Better yet, stop every vehicle going suspiciously slow and write em up. State College needs the revenue.

And specifically a certain star qb enjoyed the town after games in the 90s. I don’t know what’s wrong with some of the posters around here that think that everything during Joe’s era was church and football and nothing else. These kids partied hard! Some of them did stupid things. I know one personally who did some crazy things in the early 90s. They’re freaking college kids.
Yep, I remember playing BB against Bruce Clark at Rec Hall. Millen..... who knows where he was.......

Perfectly fine to have two nice glasses of wine out at a nice dinner that puts you at .07 BAC and drive home but not ok to take a few puffs of weed and drive home. What a joke. One has never had measurable problems while the other has nothing but measurable problems since the day it was invented.
The hypocrisy of perception is fools gold.

To be at a .07 BAC after 2 glasses of wine, you'd have to be eating a Happy Meal at McD's and be a 100 lb girl.

A normal "nice" dinner takes longer than an hour and, even at an hour, 2 glasses of wine would put a 200 lb man at about a .04 BAC.

Compare to weed ... well, you can't, because ingestion and impairment (and measurement thereof) is so variable and difficult to determine without actually seeing it in action.

To be at a .07 BAC after 2 glasses of wine, you'd have to be eating a Happy Meal at McD's and be a 100 lb girl.

A normal "nice" dinner takes longer than an hour and, even at an hour, 2 glasses of wine would put a 200 lb man at about a .04 BAC.

Compare to weed ... well, you can't, because ingestion and impairment (and measurement thereof) is so variable and difficult to determine without actually seeing it in action.
Police can give a breathalyzer test for alcohol. How can they detect weed?

Franklin's always responsible for what happens. Just like an NFL coach is responsible if his guys play hungover despite being paid. Ultimately everything is on him.
But the argument on here is kids go to college to have fun and everyone is doing it. There is no coach who can be with all those kids around the clock. It would be interesting to know how many dads on this board who only have a couple kids to watch have had to deal with really stupid decisions they've made!!!

But the argument on here is kids go to college to have fun and everyone is doing it. There is no coach who can be with all those kids around the clock. It would be interesting to know how many dads on this board who only have a couple kids to watch have had to deal with really stupid decisions they've made!!!
I don't expect him to prevent--I expect him to handle it appropriately if/when they do. And I've seen nothing to suggest he hasn't. Simply pointing out that, like everything involved with the program, he's responsible.

Franklin has actually had very little alcohol and drug issues with players. You're going to have it no matter what you do.

Driving impaired from whatever source is a bad move. If you haven't figured it out, kids do stupid things.

Thanks Doc.

Now tell me what a couple puffs of weed does to a 285 pound human being in peak physical condition? I'd really like to hear how a .04 BAC compares to smoking a joint.

Two scoops of ice cream and a Coke are worse for you than a session with some cannabis, can't say that about alcohol but go ahead with old stigmas and stereotypes meant to control your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks Doc.

Now tell me what a couple puffs of weed does to a 285 pound human being in peak physical condition?

I don't know ... wasn't that the point? How didn't you understand that? Were you high? Oh, and a 285 pound human generally can't be in "peak physical condition" unless they're about 6'9" or taller.

I'd really like to hear how a .04 BAC compares to smoking a joint.

Yeah, I'd like to hear it, too. I'd like to hear how different varieties of weed affect people (you always here about this cultivar will put you in la-la land, this cultivar will just chill you out, etc.) ... and I'd like to hear how folks charged with ensuring the safety of the community are supposed to make those determinations.

That's the point.

Two scoops of ice cream and a Coke are worse for you than a session with some cannabis, can't say that about alcohol but go ahead with old stigmas and stereotypes meant to control your thoughts on the subject.

Ah, so you're just a pothead, spouting stoner talking points. You're not actually interested in reality. I'm not anti-pot, although it's not for me (bad experiences, including inducing a now-resolved medical issue) ... I'm just acknowledging the inherent issues in dealing with the "ingestion" of pot and determining its effects on ability to do things, like operate a motor vehicle.

my wife often gets them lowered to a moving violation of some type if it can be contested at all. by contested I mean that the police didn't follow the constitutional laws of search and seizure. From what I read, the officer said the he "smelled pot" on the guy's breath. What? Did he tong kiss him? OK, he could have smelled it on the guy's clothes or in his car but that isn't what he said (or at least what the article said). Why was he pulled over? is there evidence other than you just wanted to? how did you suspect booze or pot? is that supported by the body and/or cruiser camera? Is the testing accurate (article said 95%)? Has it been calibrated recently? Does the hospital keep a record or calibration? can they produce that? were Miranda rights given? When? Did the accused ask for an attorney?

All of this, of course, takes money for a good defense lawyer. But if he wants to get off, make the prosecutor work for it. or, make everyone's life a little easier and reduce the charge to reckless driving.
There is no calibration to do blood drawn at Mount Nittany Medical Center for alcohol or weed is sent out to a lab for instances like DUI. The lab they use is a National Accredited Lab, so calibration with them never becomes an issue or a point of argument. If he was stopped for an expired registration then the stop is totally legit of course. Like you said the circumstances that led to the DUI from that point is what comes into play and where any issues may be.

I don't know ... wasn't that the point? How didn't you understand that? Were you high? Oh, and a 285 pound human generally can't be in "peak physical condition" unless they're about 6'9" or taller.

Yeah, I'd like to hear it, too. I'd like to hear how different varieties of weed affect people (you always here about this cultivar will put you in la-la land, this cultivar will just chill you out, etc.) ... and I'd like to hear how folks charged with ensuring the safety of the community are supposed to make those determinations.

That's the point.

Ah, so you're just a pothead, spouting stoner talking points. You're not actually interested in reality. I'm not anti-pot, although it's not for me (bad experiences, including inducing a now-resolved medical issue) ... I'm just acknowledging the inherent issues in dealing with the "ingestion" of pot and determining its effects on ability to do things, like operate a motor vehicle.
Real clever responses. Are you going to answer?
You seem to have answers.
I'll wait.

I don't know ... wasn't that the point? How didn't you
If you don't understand that sugar is worse you than marijuana, which is straight from mother nature with zero refining, then you're going to live that life. Good luck.

If you don't understand that sugar is worse you than marijuana, which is straight from mother nature with zero refining, then you're going to live that life. Good luck.
There are plenty of unrefined, straight from Mother Nature plants that can instantly kill you if ingested. Pretty obvious that’s not the relevant differentiating factor.

There are plenty of unrefined, straight from Mother Nature plants that can instantly kill you if ingested. Pretty obvious that’s not the relevant differentiating factor.
Right.
Sure, like Peanuts if you have a peanut allergy.
Should we call people who have a drink "alcoholheads"?
I know you don't want to tell us but you must be a doctor.

Right.

No, I wasn't thinking of peanuts, sport.

I was thinking more of things like deadly nightshade and water hemlock, among many other plants that are acutely deadly/highly toxic to humans.

The salient point there that you're refined/unrefined distinction is a loser. Things that are "straight from Mother Nature" and unrefined can be incredibly and acutely dangerous to humans, and things that are refined can be beneficial or benign to humans. Move on from that aspect of your argument.

Feel free to call people who have a drink alcoholheads if that does it for you. A pothead is a certain breed of pot consumer. They spend an inordinate amount of time consuming pot, and they often make ridiculous arguments excusing away that behavior, as you have here. I know folks who occasionally enjoy pot who aren't potheads.

The funny thing here is, I don't have a problem with pot. But you immediately went into pothead full-on defensive mode. I think pot should be legal and regulated. One of those regulations should be prohibiting folks who are under its influence from driving. And, as I noted, one of the challenges involved in enforcing this regulation is measuring said influence. Both internally and externally that can present a problem.

That's all. That's a very reasonable stance and didn't warrant your craziness in response. I was able to provide you with a clarification regarding your misstatement regarding BAC ... in part because alcohol consumption/effect is largely measurable. But that drove you into crazyville.

No, I wasn't thinking of peanuts, sport.

I was thinking more of things like deadly nightshade and water hemlock, among many other plants that are acutely deadly/highly toxic to humans.

The salient point there that you're refined/unrefined distinction is a loser. Things that are "straight from Mother Nature" and unrefined can be incredibly and acutely dangerous to humans, and things that are refined can be beneficial or benign to humans. Move on from that aspect of your argument.

Feel free to call people who have a drink alcoholheads if that does it for you. A pothead is a certain breed of pot consumer. They spend an inordinate amount of time consuming pot, and they often make ridiculous arguments excusing away that behavior, as you have here. I know folks who occasionally enjoy pot who aren't potheads.

The funny thing here is, I don't have a problem with pot. But you immediately went into pothead full-on defensive mode. I think pot should be legal and regulated. One of those regulations should be prohibiting folks who are under its influence from driving. And, as I noted, one of the challenges involved in enforcing this regulation is measuring said influence. Both internally and externally that can present a problem.

That's all. That's a very reasonable stance and didn't warrant your craziness in response. I was able to provide you with a clarification regarding your misstatement regarding BAC ... in part because alcohol consumption/effect is largely measurable. But that drove you into crazyville.
You go on.
Tell us more.

I was hoping someone that had a more concrete knowledge of proving DUI under the influence of THC or marijuana would come forward. I have not partook in almost 40 years, but I still have friends that are daily users, most are recreational but some are medicinal.

The debate within the legal/stoner field is that there is truly no scientific method to prove that someone is under the influence of THC. It can stay within your system for weeks and if your are a heavy user the levels will show a concentration of "at least 1 nanogram per milliliter (1 ng/ml) of Delta-9-carboxy THC" no matter if you are stoned or haven't used for days. This appears to be a level that may be used to prove you are under the influence of THC.

Again, I am no expert, I stole that level from lawyers on the internet that want to help someone charged avoid prosecution but I think that same person with a very good (I am sure expensive) lawyer may be able to disprove the charges.

In no way am I saying that someone under the influence of THC should be allowed to drive, I am just saying that the determination appears to be in the hands of the arresting officer. It is subjective and appears that there is not a true determination of influence by factual data yet.

Right.
All the pretty tempting mushrooms I can find, they're good to eat right?

Not everything in nature is good to consume.

I have no issue with pot. It's the driving while high that's the problem.

Fact is, nobody really can predict that consuming X amount of pot equals impairment. Especially with all the different varieties growers have developed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT