ADVERTISEMENT

An overlooked play against IU

Samurailion

May 29, 2001
A play that gained I believe 12 yds was called back because of a holding penalty last week. But I believe that that play will be part of the run game consistently these next two weeks. Barkley came from his "slot" position but instead of chopping his feet and taking the handoff, he remained in motion and took an immediate handoff from Trace. Used his speed to get around the corner and picked up 12, the hold was questionable.

Utilizing speed and WR blocking on the outside will be key especially if the box is stacked. This will force a safety up, or shift the linebackers over. So if we play our cards right I can see many diff scenarios for this kind of run game. Saquan, next to Trace, Sanders in motion,and an inside run to Saquan or an immediate handoff to Miles around the corner. Or motion, fake the handoff or draw (RPO)to saquan for a quick throw on a slant. I think utilizing this kind of look will keep the defense accounting for many diff options thus creating openings for our RPO. If we can recognize the opening we can take advantage of it. We can even run the read on the fly sweep play. Of course it is more difficult with us being in the gun but it can work.

No expert at all just throwing this out there for discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News