ADVERTISEMENT

Antonio Brown thread

not so fast.....

The news that the Raiders are “planning to suspend” receiver Antonio Brown doesn’t mean he’s suspended. It means only that they plan to, and plans can change.

It’s entirely possible that the Raiders have leaked their plans in order to give Brown one last chance to get, as G.M. Mike Mayock put it last month, “all in or all out.”

Mayock has been the bad cop to coach Jon Gruden’s good cop, and as we discussed during Thursday’s PFT Live, good cap/bad cop doesn’t always work. Brown quite likely has been confused by the mixed messages from a coach who supports him and a G.M. who chastises him. Given that the Steelers took a good cop/no cop approach to Brown, it’s the first time he’s ever had to deal with any type of accountability.

Before moving forward on Monday night without him, the Raiders apparently are giving Brown one last chance to conform to their expectations before putting him on the sidelines and, more importantly, voiding his guarantees.

More on that in an upcoming post. For now, the point is this: Until he’s actually suspended, Brown possibly won’t be. Whether he is depends largely on how he reacts to the news that it’s coming.
They can cut him with no guaranteed money lost.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
More on that in an upcoming post. For now, the point is this: Until he’s actually suspended, Brown possibly won’t be. Whether he is depends largely on how he reacts to the news that it’s coming.

Maybe he takes one for the team this one time. But given his history, does anyone honestly believe he can hold back for the entire season? At some point he's bound to lose his mind again. Unless he has another layer to his personality that hasn't shown up in recent times.

They can cut him with no guaranteed money lost.

This might play into what Sluggo72 was saying. The suspension thing could be a threat to see how he reacts knowing his guaranteed cash is on the line. Of course, he could straighten up for a few days then let loose again next week once his season payout is guaranteed.

This might play into what Sluggo72 was saying. The suspension thing could be a threat to see how he reacts knowing his guaranteed cash is on the line. Of course, he could straighten up for a few days then let loose again next week once his season payout is guaranteed.
I say have Burfict give him the news. Their lockers cant be far apart.

If he's cut I doubt anyone would give him a shot after this, no matter what his talent.

AB would be signed somewhere in a week. Coaches and GMs trying to save their jobs this year would put up with almost anything to have his talent available to them. Players nowhere near as talented as AB who have done much worse still get signed.

AB would be signed somewhere in a week. Coaches and GMs trying to save their jobs this year would put up with almost anything to have his talent available to them. Players nowhere near as talented as AB who have done much worse still get signed.

JMO but the difference is that those players have done those "worse" things OFF the field.
This guy is pouring gas on the turf and using a flame thrower to light it.
If any GM or HC wants to keep their jobs they should probably stay as far away from him as possible. I don't care how
good he is...or was.

Last edited:
Just like T.O.

Reactions: wbcincy
Obviously the helmet he swears by hasn’t protected his brain over all these years. The fact that Pittsburgh was able to unload him for A N Y T H I N G is truly remarkable.
I say have Burfict give him the news. Their lockers cant be far apart.
Not necessarily on topic, but watching hard knocks it was uncomfortable watching Brown standing next to Burfict as teammates.

I’m not sure why the Raiders would have even entertained getting AB with all his baggage. He’s been nothing but an absolute distraction to the team since day 1 with the Raiders.

I’m not sure how Chucky even puts up with him. First it’s his blistered feet from France, then 3-4 separate rounds about his helmet, now fines for missing practices and we haven’t even had the first game of the season yet.

If the Raiders eventually let him go I’m not sure any other team would pick him up now.

This is the NFL. There's at least 1 idiot who will jump at him if he becomes available.

This is the NFL. There's at least 1 idiot who will jump at him if he becomes available.

Depends on what Brown will demand as a contract. I don't think Brown will play a down if he doesn't get a substantial contract and I do not believe any teams will be willing to give him a big contract. I predict he retires rather than accept a contract for less than he demands.

Maybe he takes one for the team this one time. But given his history, does anyone honestly believe he can hold back for the entire season? At some point he's bound to lose his mind again. Unless he has another layer to his personality that hasn't shown up in recent times.

I think if they let this go with no suspension now it's over. Well, I think it's over either way. If they suspend him he goes absolutely berzerk and they cut him, losing the million bonus and the draft picks.

If they don't suspend him he knows he has the team by the balls and they won't ever suspend him so he'll do whatever he wants whenever he wants. It won't work either way.

I think that Burfict hit to the head did something to him. He was never as bad as he has been the last couple years.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Look for Oakland to dump him and then after the dust settles Belichick will pick him up and turn him into the next Jerry Rice.

If he's cut I doubt anyone would give him a shot after this, no matter what his talent.
And curious how the league is looking at this...you have players sitting out seasons...bad behavior...arrests involving everything from spousal abuse to physical altercations...not a great look for the NFL by any means...and it seems that Brown is becoming the poster child for bad behavior and selfishness that does not go over well with the GP...unless of course...they win a SB and everything goes away ie The Patriots...

He has always been all about himself. The only difference is that now Steelers fans are able to acknowledge it.

AB was not the train wreck he is now when he was in his prime. When you have a WR that is racking up 100-135 catches for 1200-1800 yards each season, showing up every game it doesn't matter if he shows up in a fur coat and a skirt. It's only when he doesn't show up that it's time to get rid of him.... And the Steelers did just that!!!

Reactions: odshowtime
As a Philly guy, I didn’t follow him closely when he was in Pittsburgh. Others have suggested possible mental illness or brain damage, and I’ve wondered about the latter over the last few weeks. His behavior over the last year has been extremely odd and he makes T.O. look like a choir boy.

So at today's practice AB got into a shouting match with the GM. Players had to hold him after said he was to punch the GM. AB left without practicing.

Has to be out now. Interesting to see what desperate ego maniac GM will sign next. thinking they are the Real AB whisperer.

So at today's practice AB got into a shouting match with the GM. Players had to hold him after said he was to punch the GM. AB left without practicing.

Has to be out now. Interesting to see what desperate ego maniac GM will sign next. thinking they are the Real AB whisperer.
I just heard on talk radio it was Burfict that held him back. Unreal!

Reactions: odshowtime
Read where getting suspended for the first game voids all the guarantees and allows the raiders to cut him during the season without owing him for the rest of the season.

Gotta.admit, didn't know much about his behavior prior to now..but I thought he came across fairly likeable in Hard Knocks. Actually had me rooting for the guy. The power of editing!!!

I'm not convinced that this isn't exactly what Brown wants. Does he want to play football? Does he want to play the card that he was "forced out" instead of just walking away from the game? I want to say he's just taken too many hits to the head and has lost whatever sanity that once existed but there's a slim chance there's more to this.

Mayock definitely misses the comfortable of the NFLN studio.

Methinks there is method to his madness. Perhaps AB is outsmarting them all.

He wanted out of the 'burgh....hated Permanti's? But he had no choice of where he was traded to. I am sure that Oakland was way down on his wish list as he wants to be in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl 'cause he knows that is where his real fame will be made ....just make a couple spectacular plays in the SB and go down in history....but neither of which will happen with the Raiders.

So drum up some drama, act petulant, get thrown off the team....Viola!! He would now be a free agent, free to negotiate with any team he wants. Sit down with the GM of preferred team and tell him this was the plan all along and he is now ready to give it all for his preferred team.

Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out.

As a Steeler fan, I'm glad AB moved on. Too much drama.

As for the current situation, it's become downright sad. Whether through concussions or just personal selfish/self-destructive demons, he has acted out in very strange ways. I don't see a happy ending.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT