ADVERTISEMENT

Any leaks/news as to UMich kick time?

Fowler doesn't do game day anymore, so I doubt that's what he was solely referring to

9f3c97bbe36b736bfc42e86f6dab926a.png

If there was ever a week for them to try a Pac 12 game at noon, this weekend would be a good one.. However, the Pac 12 has said they won't be doing a Pac 12 for breakfast game this year.

Other than that, you've got Oklahoma State & Baylor? ... Baylor will likely be ranked today, however Ok State will probably fall out. Other than that?

I could see WVU at Oklahoma being Fox's noon tilt... other than that? It's slim pickins in college football for a marquee game that Fox could get their hands on... I don't think the SEC or ACC is even an option?

Here's the potential MLB playoff schedule:
Saturday, Oct. 19: ALCS Game 6 (if necessary), Fox or FS1
Saturday, Oct. 19: NLCS Game 7 (if necessary), TBS

Fowler's tweet is most telling, IMHO... I doubt he'd tweet that if it wasn't going to be covered by his team. Unless he means gameday?
I don't think they'd do Gameday at PSU if the game is on Fox.

how does this actually work from a contract standpoint? is the contract between the ncaa and the networks as a group? is there some method to how things are allocated? so when we say that Fox has the rights the game, how do we know that? is it a week to week negotiation as to who gets what? realize the value of games change week to week, but this seems overly complex.

Fox and Disney (ESPN/ABC) both have TV deals with the Big Ten. The two networks split the football games. Each network has first choice in half of the weeks of the seasons. The Fox deal is the higher payout but it includes the championship game every year and first choice in the selection process for weeks for football. The weeks don't have any pattern to them - the two companies basically have a draft and alternate picks of weeks they want first choice, with Fox going first every year.

Fox essentially chooses the last week of the season every year and gets UM/tOSU. Disney then gets the second choice (this year, is is believed they took 10/26 and grabbed Notre Dame/Michigan). It's never really revealed what network gets first choice what week, but it can often be figured out based on who gets the prime games. I suspect Disney has first choice on 10/19 and will take UM/PSU but we won't know until the schedule is announced (that game is clearly the top choice for the Big Ten that week).

*complete aside - to avoid confusion - when Disney completed the big purchase of 21st Century Fox properties earlier this year, none of the national TV networks or sports contracts were included. So, FS1, FS2, and BTN were not part of that deal and remain with the (smaller) Fox Corp.

Fox and Disney (ESPN/ABC) both have TV deals with the Big Ten. The two networks split the football games. Each network has first choice in half of the weeks of the seasons. The Fox deal is the higher payout but it includes the championship game every year and first choice in the selection process for weeks for football. The weeks don't have any pattern to them - the two companies basically have a draft and alternate picks of weeks they want first choice, with Fox going first every year.

Fox essentially chooses the last week of the season every year and gets UM/tOSU. Disney then gets the second choice (this year, is is believed they took 10/26 and grabbed Notre Dame/Michigan). It's never really revealed what network gets first choice what week, but it can often be figured out based on who gets the prime games. I suspect Disney has first choice on 10/19 and will take UM/PSU but we won't know until the schedule is announced (that game is clearly the top choice for the Big Ten that week).

*complete aside - to avoid confusion - when Disney completed the big purchase of 21st Century Fox properties earlier this year, none of the national TV networks or sports contracts were included. So, FS1, FS2, and BTN were not part of that deal and remain with the (smaller) Fox Corp.
This is how I thought it worked. ABC normally has the white out high on their draft order. I would guess the third pick by Fox was the week we are at OSU like it was 2 years ago. As long as Fox keeps taking OSU-UM first every year then there’s a good chance every year the White Out is on abc

I'm all for Fox picking PSU/OSU as a noon game.

I’m not a big fan of noon games in general (occupying the middle of the day on a fall Saturday just doesn’t fit great with my life right now) — but I think it’d be really unfortunate to have the White Out game at noon. The energy and spectacle of the night White Outs has been big for recruiting and the PSU football brand in general.

MLB NLCS and ALCS are scheduled for this same night depending on how deep they both go in the series.

I agree that this would be the ideal draft order in my opinion:

Fox - Ohio State at Michigan
ABC/ESPN - Notre Dame at Michigan
Fox - Penn State at Ohio State
ABC/ESPN - Michigan at Penn State

We would get a night whiteout game on ABC (most likely) plus hit up Ohio State for a noon game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT