ADVERTISEMENT

Are most of you seeing drastic changes in your tax refund this year?

A Better question is why should California already be paying Iowa to just exist.
Iowa needs federal dollars to function. California doesn't.
Wow! This is news to me. California doesn't need federal dollars to function. I never realized that California had its own military. I wonder how many aircraft carriers and submarines they have designed, built, and launched. I wonder where they keep all the cruise missiles that they have designed and built in their own factories. California has no interstate highways built by the federal government. I wish the rest of the states paid for all their own highways. It's wonderful that the California farmers don't get any federal agriculture subsidies. I could go on and on. Totally autonomous and self-supporting. What a place! California doesn't need the rest of the country for their existence but Iowa does. Interesting.

I changed jobs and that threw in a couple of new variables, but we have gone from a refund of a couple grand, to paying in a couple. I’ve seen on the news that a ceiling on the property tax credit is impacting some, but we aren’t in a crazy high property tax area (as opposed to NJ). We are just getting the standard deduction this year, as opposed itemized deductions.

Not a political post, just trying to gauge whether we should pay someone to look at our taxes to see what we may be missing.
Still waiting for my accountant to run everything.
No dependents and my house is now paid for.
Probably going to owe quite a bit more

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Wow! This is news to me. California doesn't need federal dollars to function. I never realized that California had its own military. I wonder how many aircraft carriers and submarines they have designed, built, and launched. I wonder where they keep all the cruise missiles that they have designed and built in their own factories. California has no interstate highways built by the federal government. I wish the rest of the states paid for all their own highways. It's wonderful that the California farmers don't get any federal agriculture subsidies. I could go on and on. Totally autonomous and self-supporting. What a place! California doesn't need the rest of the country for their existence but Iowa does. Interesting.

Fair enough. Although, with the 13 billion it would save by not giving money to the poor red states, it could have a military ranked somewhere in the top 20.

What a place the southern red states must be! Being given money by people who work harder and earn more then having the audaciousness to hate those people. What a place!

Reactions: NJPSU
Or you could be making well in to the 100s but live in a place where that is middle class.

HAAAA!!! If that reply is to me, you DO realize how little sympathy you will get, right?:):):):):)

The media and the Left are trying to narrate this tax cut as screwing the poor. It is doing nothing of the kind. In fact, on top of the tax cuts for people making less than $100,000, and north of that figure, the favorable cuts for businesses and corporations will provide more jobs for those people. If "Middle Class" where you live is "well into the 100s", then sorry, I don't consider you poor. In fact, you are probably better off than 99% of the people in the rest of the country.

Fair enough. Although, with the 13 billion it would save by not giving money to the poor red states, it could have a military ranked somewhere in the top 20.

What a place the southern red states must be! Being given money by people who work harder and earn more then having the audaciousness to hate those people. What a place!
Really? Just amazes me some peoples thought process and you already have the same crap on a thread or two on the test board.

Reactions: Sullivan
Lifelong democrat here. I knew the bulk of this administration's policies and antics would be to pander to its base; there was no reason to tick-off the people that, surprisingly, felt motivated to came out to elect this administration into office.

Post-election, I decided to selfishly roll with the right and with this administration's economic policy concerning the tax bill, thinking if we are going to lock immigrant kids in cages and indefinitely separate them from their parents or talk about the "fine people" involved in a KKK rally that at least I can benefit financially from this complete four year embarrassment to our nation. And admittedly, who knows? I don't have an economics degree. Maybe this tax bill was a great economic move and everything I hear from the right about how to run an economy is actually correct? So, bring on tax season...

So, happy me come tax time. Wife and I do really well in 2018, we have a lot of deductions, retirement contributions, charity contributions, rental property, two dependents, and a good faith hope that things had been made better for us and our money with the tax bill that everyone on the right championed (especially since I still have to pay out of pocket for my kids' college and pay for my family's healthcare costs, none of which this tax bill helped alleviate from my plate).

After working and b!tching with my accountant, no one is "sick of winning" in my house this tax season. I have no idea who benefitted from this supposedly huge tax bill, but it sure wasn't me. It's just money and I'll pay it, but if this is the best result right wing economic theory can produce, someone come up with a better idea and fast.

Reactions: dukecorey and NJPSU

I'm not dissing California. I know it is a wonderful place to live and the people produce a vast amount of goods.

Money isn't everything. I wonder what fraction of those serving in the military come from California versus the deplorable southern red states? I did a quick Google search and found this link. On a per capita basis California is number 53 (territories like Puerto Rico are included) out of 55. Many of the deplorable Southern states are well above average in military service. On a per capita basis Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana citizens are over 10 times more likely to volunteer for military service than those in California. It looks to me like the poor red states are getting California's money but the citizens in those same states are much more likely to shed their blood to keep Californians free and safe.

I'm not dissing California. I know it is a wonderful place to live and the people produce a vast amount of goods.

Money isn't everything. I wonder what fraction of those serving in the military come from California versus the deplorable southern red states? I did a quick Google search and found this link. On a per capita basis California is number 53 (territories like Puerto Rico are included) out of 55. Many of the deplorable Southern states are well above average in military service. On a per capita basis Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana citizens are over 10 times more likely to volunteer for military service than those in California. It looks to me like the poor red states are getting California's money but the citizens in those same states are much more likely to shed their blood to keep Californians free and safe.

That is quite a stretch there Lemon. I see you guys contorting left and right in order to try to wriggle out of the disaster that is this tax bill.
But the fact is, efforts were made to screw people from certain parts of this country and it is going to come back to bite.

That is quite a stretch there Lemon. I see you guys contorting left and right in order to try to wriggle out of the disaster that is this tax bill.
But the fact is, efforts were made to screw people from certain parts of this country and it is going to come back to bite.
This needs moved but no one is better than a CA leftist at twisting facts

Lifelong democrat here. I knew the bulk of this administration's policies and antics would be to pander to its base; there was no reason to tick-off the people that, surprisingly, felt motivated to came out to elect this administration into office.

Post-election, I decided to selfishly roll with the right and with this administration's economic policy concerning the tax bill, thinking if we are going to lock immigrant kids in cages and indefinitely separate them from their parents or talk about the "fine people" involved in a KKK rally that at least I can benefit financially from this complete four year embarrassment to our nation. And admittedly, who knows? I don't have an economics degree. Maybe this tax bill was a great economic move and everything I hear from the right about how to run an economy is actually correct? So, bring on tax season...

So, happy me come tax time. Wife and I do really well in 2018, we have a lot of deductions, retirement contributions, charity contributions, rental property, two dependents, and a good faith hope that things had been made better for us and our money with the tax bill that everyone on the right championed (especially since I still have to pay out of pocket for my kids' college and pay for my family's healthcare costs, none of which this tax bill helped alleviate from my plate).

After working and b!tching with my accountant, no one is "sick of winning" in my house this tax season. I have no idea who benefitted from this supposedly huge tax bill, but it sure wasn't me. It's just money and I'll pay it, but if this is the best result right wing economic theory can produce, someone come up with a better idea and fast.
Better call two whaaaaambulances.

Reactions: Sullivan

Screw people from certain parts of the country that expect the Feds (the rest of the country) to cover the cost of regressive State taxes? The people voting for those taxes ought to pay them

Screw people from certain parts of the country that expect the Feds (the rest of the country) to cover the cost of regressive State taxes? The people voting for those taxes ought to pay them

Or, screw the states who take more than they give. I agree.

Just some friendly advice.

1.) Talk to your accountant about your rental unit or rental units. Without getting into a lot of detail, the IRS has given some recent clarification which, if you work it right, will allow you to claim the 20% Qualified Business Income deduction.

2.) You can still claim all your property tax and interest income on the rental units.

3.) The income phaseouts on your dependents is MUCH higher in the current bill. Plus, depending on your income, because they come in the forms of credits rather than exemptions, they may be worth more to you. Especially if you make $100,000 or less. As I mentioned before. Even dependents 17 or over are eligible for the new Family Tax Credit of $500. That is the equivalent to a $4,167 tax deduction for a couple making $100,000 per year. More than last year's $4,050.

4.) How are your retirement contributions negatively affected? Use the money you will probably save on your rental units to invest in your retirement.

5.) You make it sound like you are paying for 100% of your healthcare costs. Are you self employed? If you are, talk to your accountant. You can probably write off your premiums.

6.) The educational credits are mostly unchanged. Not sure what your gripe is there.

7.) If you are paying more tax, you are probably making a LOT of money, own a LOT of PERSONAL property, or both.

How many would volunteer if it wasn't a paying job?

Working for the military (any country's military) is an honorable profession, but no more so than any other government job. True, it can be more dangerous than some jobs; but less dangerous than farming, construction, fishing, etc.

Working for the military (any country's military) is an honorable profession, but no more so than any other government job. True, it can be more dangerous than some jobs; but less dangerous than farming, construction, fishing, etc.

It's definitely more honorable than many other government jobs o_O

Reactions: GregInPitt

Less dangerous? I live in farm country, have worked construction and went fishing and no one has ever been shooting at me.

Higher on the job death rates in those professions. Shooting isn't the only way one can be killed.

Ya aren't going to win this one. Trust me.
Although I was surprised to see the mortality rate for Air Force members is actually better than a typical citizen.
But that is the only exception.

Let's be realistic we all know Lemon Ears post was referring to combat. The rationalizations comparing total numbers are taking into account numerous jobs that have no exposure to that. How many people are at the Pentagon?Comparing combat to collecting trash which is a private sector job in a large part anyway.

I wasn't in favor of the tax bill when it was proposed and I would repeal it now if I was King. I think controlling the deficit is more important than stimulating the economy. However, I am happy that the lower middle class people for whom I help with tax forms are seeing a lot more disposable income. By "a lot more" I mean about $1500 more disposable income on a $65K annual salary. The higher standard deduction, lower rates, and especially the double child tax credit has really helped these people. They are ecstatic to have $1500 more dollars to spend. This may not seem like much money to most but it is to some.

They're in the military because it's the best paying job they can find in those states.

They're in the military because it's the best paying job they can find in those states.
That is a hell of a thing to say. Don't you think many of the volunteers in those and other states join the military for patriotic reasons? What you are implying is that military volunteers are low life, unskilled people who are out of options. I think that is a despicable, disgusting, and condescending thing to say.

That is a hell of a thing to say. Don't you think many of the volunteers in those and other states join the military for patriotic reasons? What you are implying is that military volunteers are low life, unskilled people who are out of options. I think that is a despicable, disgusting, and condescending thing to say.
Not all are there for that reason but many are.

Can't a guy anonymously complain? Besides, I am not crying at all. I am just trying to figure out who benefited from this all exercise in futility since I sure as heck didn't.
You can complain depending on the subject.

Thanks for the reply. I really wasn't looking for free tax advice, just a place to complain in a semi-judgment free zone. If anything you suggest helps, I will let you know.

Just some friendly advice.

1.) Talk to your accountant about your rental unit or rental units. Without getting into a lot of detail, the IRS has given some recent clarification which, if you work it right, will allow you to claim the 20% Qualified Business Income deduction.

2.) You can still claim all your property tax and interest income on the rental units.

3.) The income phaseouts on your dependents is MUCH higher in the current bill. Plus, depending on your income, because they come in the forms of credits rather than exemptions, they may be worth more to you. Especially if you make $100,000 or less. As I mentioned before. Even dependents 17 or over are eligible for the new Family Tax Credit of $500. That is the equivalent to a $4,167 tax deduction for a couple making $100,000 per year. More than last year's $4,050.

4.) How are your retirement contributions negatively affected? Use the money you will probably save on your rental units to invest in your retirement.

5.) You make it sound like you are paying for 100% of your healthcare costs. Are you self employed? If you are, talk to your accountant. You can probably write off your premiums.

6.) The educational credits are mostly unchanged. Not sure what your gripe is there.

7.) If you are paying more tax, you are probably making a LOT of money, own a LOT of PERSONAL property, or both.

Or, screw the states who take more than they give. I agree.

Does your table of takers vs givers include Federal taxpayers paying your state taxes? I doubt it. Nor does it consider the benefit States like California receive with a huge military population spending their paychecks in their state.

Here is how the game works. Liberal wealthy people who itemize deductions are all for increasing taxes for bullet trains and stuff. When their State tax bill comes, they deducted those taxes from their Federal tax bill. So they don't pay a penny towards what they demand - freeloaders.

Meanwhile the average to poor person who can't itemize gets to pay those increased State taxes. What a great setup - the haves demand stuff and don't pay at the expense of the have-nots who do pay.

Thanks for the reply. I really wasn't looking for free tax advice, just a place to complain in a semi-judgment free zone. If anything you suggest helps, I will let you know.

The "free tax advice" was to illustrate that the new tax bill probably actually helped you (along with millions of others). Not hurt you. Too many people just blindly follow the media and Left wing narrative instead of learning the facts.

Reactions: johnmpsu
The "free tax advice" was to illustrate that the new tax bill probably actually helped you (along with millions of others). Not hurt you. Too many people just blindly follow the media and Left wing narrative instead of learning the facts.

Blindly following a left wig narrative? Dude, I did my taxes and owe more when I was told I was being given a tax break.

A Better question is why should California already be paying Iowa to just exist.
Iowa needs federal dollars to function. California doesn't.

CA needs them to keep from going further into debt, which is what seems to be happening now, especially when the future pension obligations are taken into account. I would not want to be paying taxes in CA in 20 years when there are more public employee pensioners in retirement... I would not want to be there now either. :)

Reactions: glidresquirrel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT