ADVERTISEMENT

Are there solutions to the mid week home games?

Plus there are already revenue sharing minimums in place. As long as PSU pays those minimums, the conference has no reasonable leg to stand on when it comes telling PSU where they have to play the games.

I'm not talking from the about sharing agreement.

I had season tickets for the first year of the bjc. 95-96. I sat one row from the very top of the arena, in the end zone portion. In all my life I have never been further from the action. And I have seen basketball at the staples, at American airlines in Phoenix, the summit in Houston, market square in Indy, and about 20 others. The Bryce Jordan Center is an abomination.
Any of the end zones seats are brutal, especially those upper deck seats.
And they have to not sell several rows of seats behind the students because they stand the whole game and your view is still partially blocked.
It’s simply a poorly designed arena.

Reactions: psu00 and Kiber
I'm not talking from the about sharing agreement.

Whatever you want to call it, we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to your original post

"Other conferences don't have gate sharing agreements and I think the Big Ten would have difficulty with a home venue that seats about 6,500."

That's the sharing agreement that I am talking about. There are minimums that teams must meet for each game (as well as maximums - football has the same type arrangement - see below). They are in place so that there isn't any issue with small arena sizes. As long as PSU writes at least the minimum gate revenue check for every game, the conference can't complain about the size of the arena.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/04/20/big-ten-ticket-revenue/

"Today, the Big Ten shares gate receipts from both football and men’s basketball"

Whatever you want to call it, we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to your original post

"Other conferences don't have gate sharing agreements and I think the Big Ten would have difficulty with a home venue that seats about 6,500."

That's the sharing agreement that I am talking about. There are minimums that teams must meet for each game (as well as maximums - football has the same type arrangement - see below). They are in place so that there isn't any issue with small arena sizes. As long as PSU writes at least the minimum gate revenue check for every game, the conference can't complain about the size of the arena.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/04/20/big-ten-ticket-revenue/

"Today, the Big Ten shares gate receipts from both football and men’s basketball"

So following your logic, PSU could drop basketball altogether, send the Big Ten a check for $450K p.a. (the minimum contribution to the basketball gate pool), and the Big Ten would continue sending it $9mm p.a., with minor adjustments for the value of the loss of TV revenue attributable to PSU basketball? Sounds like a winning strategy for Barbour to work on.

The Palestra is fine for a single game novelty. But it belongs to Penn and it’s located too far away for our students to attend midweek. We should renovate the BJC and turn it into a 10k seat single level arena with close court side seating and good sight lines. And finally, put the student section on TV rather than the retirement home season ticket holders. Just flip it.
it was flipped for seasona or two, and then they flipped the TV cameras back because the center court logo was upside down, I believe. Doesn't make any sense, I wish they would flip it again

I had season tickets for the first year of the bjc. 95-96. I sat one row from the very top of the arena, in the end zone portion. In all my life I have never been further from the action. And I have seen basketball at the staples, at American airlines in Phoenix, the summit in Houston, market square in Indy, and about 20 others. The Bryce Jordan Center is an abomination.
The best season tickets you could get were at the top of the end zone? Hard to believe that they sold that many season tickets.

Reactions: Kiber
The best season tickets you could get were at the top of the end zone? Hard to believe that they sold that many season tickets.

The thought that came to my mind was that couple they showed sitting all by themselves in the upper deck on the Mich State game.... Remember around 4th Qtr, we had game in control, it was horrible weather, rainy & cold... the stadium was 3/4 empty... and they kept showing this couple sitting in the empty upper deck.... At one point the announcer for the game questioned why they would not just move down.

Reactions: psu00
Any of the end zones seats are brutal, especially those upper deck seats.
And they have to not sell several rows of seats behind the students because they stand the whole game and your view is still partially blocked.
It’s simply a poorly designed arena.
Boondoggle from day one. Somebody made a decision to build the farm show arena part 2 instead of a basketball venue. I want to say Tim curley because everything he touched turned to manure but I don't know who it was.

Boondoggle from day one. Somebody made a decision to build the farm show arena part 2 instead of a basketball venue. I want to say Tim curley because everything he touched turned to manure but I don't know who it was.
I heard that because PSU accepted state money to build it, it HAD to be a multi-purpose venue. If it was private donations, like the Pegula, it would have been better.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I heard that because PSU accepted state money to build it, it HAD to be a multi-purpose venue. If it was private donations, like the Pegula, it would have been better.
So who was the person who made the decision to go with state money? Again, it comes down to one person.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT