ADVERTISEMENT

Are we REALLY going to have to wait 2 yrs to see Hall

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
In a PSU uniform? Obviously it's not a question of him being ready.

Is there any chance at all that he wrestles this coming season or the one after that?

Last edited:
I think the most likely scenario is that he wrestles not this year but next year. He'll slot in at 174 and Bo moves up. I'm not sure whether he'd grayshirt or redshirt. That's my best guess, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
Are we REALLY going to have to wait 2 yrs to see Hall in a PSU uniform? Obviously it's not a question of him being ready.

Hard to say. The signals from Mark have been rather vague. Cael's coaching staff rarely says much about incoming freshmen.

I meant to link this interview a few days ago that True Wrestling posted with Mark after his match at the recent Beat The Streets in NYC. In the interview, Mark indicates that he's planning to start classes at PSU in June, in PSU's 2nd summer session. You can access the interview at THIS LINK. (You have to click on a link at the site to access the interview.)

Hard to say. The signals from Mark have been rather vague. Cael's coaching staff rarely says much about incoming freshmen.

I meant to link this interview a few days ago that True Wrestling posted with Mark after his match at the recent Beat The Streets in NYC. In the interview, Mark indicates that he's planning to start classes at PSU in June, in PSU's 2nd summer session. You can access the interview at THIS LINK. (You have to click on a link at the site to access the interview.)

Said it before - and I'll say it again - That is one impressive young man. Very excited to see him at PSU.

If he's coming to summer session, that seems to me that he's gonna RS this year or wrestle. I don't see an OTC year, which happily surprises me. Not that he doesn't spend a lot of time there, already. Not that being there is a negative. However, not coming to PSU straight-away opens that door to not go there at all. He could be seduced by making money in Int Competitions and the training there (not that PSU isn't comparable, especially his weight-range). This seems to me to show that he's coming right away, even if he doesn't compete on-roster this year. That's a big positive,

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
If he redshirts this year, can't WAIT for the Nittany Lion Open! Bo vs. Mark in folkstyle this time.

I think the most likely scenario is that he wrestles not this year but next year. He'll slot in at 174 and Bo moves up. I'm not sure whether he'd grayshirt or redshirt. That's my best guess, for what it's worth.
This one is my guess also.

If he's coming to summer session, that seems to me that he's gonna RS this year or wrestle. I don't see an OTC year, which happily surprises me. Not that he doesn't spend a lot of time there, already. Not that being there is a negative. However, not coming to PSU straight-away opens that door to not go there at all. He could be seduced by making money in Int Competitions and the training there (not that PSU isn't comparable, especially his weight-range). This seems to me to show that he's coming right away, even if he doesn't compete on-roster this year. That's a big positive,

He can still greyshirt as long as he isn't a full time student at PSU.

Reactions: Maddog

Definitely agree. Much better to have him on campus taking classes vs heading to the OTC for a year.

Reactions: nitlion6
Sure sounds like things are trending toward PSU. I think it is RS this year, but that could change. The probability he goes this year is much higher now than six months ago.

If he is enrolls as a full time student in June then we'll know he's not going to grayshirt.

If he is enrolls as a full time student in June then we'll know he's not going to grayshirt.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can answer, but I personally don't think that's possible. Penn State defines Full-Time as 12+ credits. Can a student even be full-time in a 6-week Summer Session?

I won't pretend to be smarter than Roar, will merely share my experience. Admittedly a number of yrs ago, but pretty sure PSU operates under the same academic calendar.

PSU had 2 summer sessions: 6 weeks starting almost immediately after May commencement, then an 8-week session. "Summer" for nearly everyone meant the 8-week session.

I took 2 sr/grad engr classes in an 8-week session, 6 credits. By itself that would've been a working vacation. With my MS research it was busy but manageable. 9 credits + research would've been a challenge but probably doable with a good thesis advisor.

12 undergrad credits + wrestling? Conceivable but not advisable. Depends on exact classes chosen, workout structure, and any travel events. Wrestler would need time might skills beyond mere mortal college students.

The question I have is, when does his scholarship money begin?

Obviously I don't know what kind of aid package he is getting, but I would think his eligibility clock would start once the wrestling team picks up part of the tab ... even if it is only 6 credits.

Otherwise it seems to me he would have to pay for the credits himself ... not exactly cheap for out of state students.

I don't know the answer, just thinking out load.

I won't pretend to be smarter than Roar, will merely share my experience. Admittedly a number of yrs ago, but pretty sure PSU operates under the same academic calendar.

PSU had 2 summer sessions: 6 weeks starting almost immediately after May commencement, then an 8-week session. "Summer" for nearly everyone meant the 8-week session.

I took 2 sr/grad engr classes in an 8-week session, 6 credits. By itself that would've been a working vacation. With my MS research it was busy but manageable. 9 credits + research would've been a challenge but probably doable with a good thesis advisor.

12 undergrad credits + wrestling? Conceivable but not advisable. Depends on exact classes chosen, workout structure, and any travel events. Wrestler would need time might skills beyond mere mortal college students.
Both summer sessions are now 6 weeks. My daughter took 2 classes in the summer years ago...and worked 20 hrs per week...and barely had time to breath.

Just to clarify a bit:

PSU has 3 "terms" in the summer. These are:
1) Maymester
2) 1st six-week session
3) 2nd six-week session

Maymester is a month-long session that starts the Monday after Spring semester finals end (this year, it starts May 9th)

1st six-week session is a six-week term that starts a week after Spring semester finals end (this year, it starts May 16th)

2nd six-week session is a six-week term that starts 2 days after finals end for the 1st six-week session (this year, it starts June 29th)

Freshmen that elect to participate in the LEAP program start their PSU experience in the 2nd six-week session. They take 2 courses, which count for 6 credits.

As for Mark Hall, when his eligibility clock starts, what his plans are, etc., I still don't think we have a clear understanding on this. The answer may be in the bits of info we've gotten, but it may not.

you misunderstood my joke. I was insinuating that he is less calm because his Xanax supplier is out of business. ;)

But I agree, he is taking it well. Most on the Guillotine board are.
There are a stubborn few who don't understand the gravity of the situation. Where have I seen that before?

Said it before - and I'll say it again - That is one impressive young man. Very excited to see him at PSU.
+1000000

I can't seem to find a link, but his friendship with a team manager with special needs said it all to me. Don't even care how good he is (though a huge plus that he's amazing).

I also saw that Daton Fix has befriended 2 autistic boys from his hometown. Knowing how desperately lonely my autistic boys are (they can't talk but spell out for me how they wish they had friends), that gets me pretty emotional.

This might hurt the TShirt business.

I promise you this Jammenz, I will never tell you to take a chill pill.

I'm sad that this situation has even occurred but as far as material goes.....some of you are grrrrrrrrrrrreat

I'm sad that this situation has even occurred but as far as material goes.....some of you are grrrrrrrrrrrreat

I am too. Minne and J have been a stalwart and I hate that people who don't know dick about our sport are now going to create the narrative about J and Minne based on a bad cycle of individuals and an old school guy going to go to bat for his guys, however misguided. We do not need another ISU in the Iowa world (and PSU BTW) and the B1G...rivalries are few and far between and we need them. We might of had a chance for this to blow over but now that the national media has got ahold of it, Minne is going to have to make a stand from a public relations view. I expect them to clean house with wrestling for no other reason that we are expendable and Minne has had problems but don't want to do lasting damage to the big two...football and basketball. Jammenz is handling this like a champ and this is one of those occasions where I would usually say "there but the grace of God, go I" but I know you don't believe in none of that religious mumbo-jumbo.

Worse comes to worse Jammenz, count on us to start a GoFundMe for you...Instead of money, we are going to help you build up your Nebby Wrestling gear. Got your back bro.

Last edited:
I agree with the Chief - this is an old school guy going to bat for his kids and trying to do what he thought best for them. 1. Unfortunately in this day and age, this is not acceptable for an administrator. 2. At 69, he is probably a bit out of the loop about the serious problem of prescription drug abuse among young adults.

Sad to see him go out like this, but it doesn't make me lose an ounce of respect I have for the guy. I would imagine that he will go out falling on his sword for the kids, just his way. I respect that immensely.

Apparently Mark Hall doesn't object. Within a few hours of posting it here yesterday, I noticed he has now using it as part of his twitter handle :)

And he screen shot your post and it's on his official page. .....your now famous!

Reactions: Sullivan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT