ADVERTISEMENT

Articles for Monday

Just read these articles and was surprised about what I read, especially regarding the Indiana match. So let me get this right. Against Indiana, Penn State wins 8 out of 10 matches (6 for bonus points), wins the match 34-8 and has a 27-4 edge in takedowns. Yet this performance has been labeled 'sluggish' in one article and 'lackluster' in another. Nothing wrong with high standards (and this team has them), but unrealistic standards is something else. I watched the Indiana matches and saw nothing sluggish or lackluster in the performance of the wrestlers. God forbid this team wins anything less than 8 matches; narcolepsy would have to be the cause should that occur. I like everything I see in this team; sluggish and lackluster in no way define what I've seen to date in this team.

Reactions: psutim
Just read these articles and was surprised about what I read, especially regarding the Indiana match. So let me get this right. Against Indiana, Penn State wins 8 out of 10 matches (6 for bonus points), wins the match 34-8 and has a 27-4 edge in takedowns. Yet this performance has been labeled 'sluggish' in one article and 'lackluster' in another. Nothing wrong with high standards (and this team has them), but unrealistic standards is something else. I watched the Indiana matches and saw nothing sluggish or lackluster in the performance of the wrestlers. God forbid this team wins anything less than 8 matches; narcolepsy would have to be the cause should that occur. I like everything I see in this team; sluggish and lackluster in no way define what I've seen to date in this team.

Well, Iowa did win 54-0 this weekend. In comparison, 34-8 is mediocre.

(Response is TIC)

Just read these articles and was surprised about what I read, especially regarding the Indiana match. So let me get this right. Against Indiana, Penn State wins 8 out of 10 matches (6 for bonus points), wins the match 34-8 and has a 27-4 edge in takedowns. Yet this performance has been labeled 'sluggish' in one article and 'lackluster' in another.

I think if you look at the end result, it is hard to characterize a lopsided win in negative terms.

In defense of the articles, Ironhead in the post-match show used the term sluggish multiple times, and mentioned travel as an issue. Apparently the team got home from the Scuffle on Monday morning, then left for Purdue on Thursday. I don't recall if they bused or vaned from West Lafayette on Friday night or on Saturday, or if they encountered weather issues during that part of the trip, but Jeff did leave the distinct impression that they were worn out on Sunday from all the travel.

I've yet to watch all the videos, so I'll leave it to others to evaluate if several of the guys seemed sluggish or lackluster during their matches.

At this point in the season, Cael is still more interested in process than results.

At this point in the season, Cael is still more interested in process than results.
I would wager that Cael wants to be the top team in the B1G for the dual championship in February. So results in the B1G duals do matter, especially since we won't play Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT