ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

Desperation makes you do stupid shit..
TNT are desparate.
Their solution to compete isn't far off.
Their kids are bought in but they need to keep recruiting kids that are different..
They keep recruiting what worked 15 years ago..
Most of their kids are low point scorers in high school, that normally doesn't change.

They brought in Downey.
I think they feel they need to take a chance on meathead U..
I think the Ferrari's would buy in unlike Downey, they are smart enough to know this is their last stop and they would care.

Reactions: hlstone
They brought in Downey.
I think they feel they need to take a chance on meathead U..
I think the Ferrari's would buy in unlike Downey, they are smart enough to know this is their last stop and they would care.
Big difference between Downey and the Ferrari clan, especially AJ. Don't recall Downey being investigated for multiple very serious allegations and damn near killing multiple people being a complete jackass.

The irony is that good old Bob Nicolls has made his fortune off sticking it to those less fortunate Iowa fans in America’s heartland. A real sweetheart.
cc: @PatMineo22 @smalls103

Racist Bob’s favorite recent movie - Slumlord Millionaire

He’s so fixated on Sandusky because he’s been raping his tenants for years
Go over and do a search using: By: bnicolls Keywords: Paterno, racist, sandusky, ped

Not sure how to enter more than one word so do each keyword individually. Great stuff and goes back many years. The woke crowd would have a hayday.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Section 8?
giphy.gif

What I’m truly confused about is how most on HR talk about PSU recruiting lapping the field but in reality PSU has 2 number 1 classes since 2016. In 2019 and 2022 their class wasn’t even ranked. Most of the time they have a top 5 class but you would think from reading over there that PSU has the number 1 class every year and no one else is close. The reality is that PSU does recruit well but they develop even better. They don’t recruit quantity like some programs (VTech and NC State come to mind) but instead recruit quality. Having small classes but each recruit being a top 10 p4p kid has proven to be the most effective way to win titles but you still have to develop those kids which PSU does better than anyone. That is the area where no one else is close and I just don’t understand how they can’t see it…or maybe they do and it’s just easier to say it’s cheating and that’s the only reason that Iowa is losing

What I’m truly confused about is how most on HR talk about PSU recruiting lapping the field but in reality PSU has 2 number 1 classes since 2016. In 2019 and 2022 their class wasn’t even ranked. Most of the time they have a top 5 class but you would think from reading over there that PSU has the number 1 class every year and no one else is close. The reality is that PSU does recruit well but they develop even better. They don’t recruit quantity like some programs (VTech and NC State come to mind) but instead recruit quality. Having small classes but each recruit being a top 10 p4p kid has proven to be the most effective way to win titles but you still have to develop those kids which PSU does better than anyone. That is the area where no one else is close and I just don’t understand how they can’t see it…or maybe they do and it’s just easier to say it’s cheating and that’s the only reason that Iowa is losing
The entire college wrestling world understands PSU recruits very well as do others.

Most of college wrestling understands Penn State develops their talent better than all of those others. Many Iowa folks get this also. HR is just where people go to exhibit stupidity.

What people are now just starting to grasp is Penn State has figured something out that is obviously unknown to any other staff. How to prepare for the increasing pressure at nationals as one progresses through the brackets.

Here's hoping TnT and others continue chasing their perceived solutions and spend another decade or two spinning their wheels.

Hell if it was me and I am going to spend 30 mill on my facilities, I might ask my boosters to pony up some more and put together a multi million dollar piggy bank that would allow me to financially overwhelm Taylor, Nolf and Zain to be my coaching staff. All coaching newbies, but all part of the program that seems to have figured out some stuff others are confused by.

Reactions: zzs006 and Grass
I’d like to know exactly what extra $$$ he was referring to (and that he later qualified as being in a “grey area” instead of outright cheating). If you’re going to throw that much shade - the donor you heard it from, the date on which you learned it, the number of extra schollies it “effectively” was, why withhold that detail?

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I’d like to know exactly what extra $$$ he was referring to (and that he later qualified as being in a “grey area” instead of outright cheating). If you’re going to throw that much shade - the donor you heard it from, the date on which you learned it, the number of extra schollies it “effectively” was, why withhold that detail?
I think he is insinuating the "promise" of post grad NLWC monies to make up for the lack of schollie money in present terms allocated to a particular recruit. Thus creating a back sided extra schollies.

Reactions: Split shot
I think he is insinuating the "promise" of post grad NLWC monies to make up for the lack of schollie money allocated to a particular recruit. Thus creating a back sided extra schollies.
Okay. Thx.

I know schools are also allowed to pay their athletes close to $6k a year for academic success. It went to the Supreme Court before this season and decided to be okay, I think, one way or the other (maybe settled out of court?). I thought maybe he was referring to PSU having been doing that before it went to Supreme Court. I have no idea if they were, but it entered my mind.

I don’t want to engage directly with him; it just seemed strange that he would make a bunch of accusations, claiming first hand knowledge of things and even name names but stop short of saying exactly what it was.

Okay. Thx.

I know schools are also allowed to pay their athletes close to $6k a year for academic success. It went to the Supreme Court before this season and decided to be okay, I think, one way or the other (maybe settled out of court?). I thought maybe he was referring to PSU having been doing that before it went to Supreme Court. I have no idea if they were, but it entered my mind.

I don’t want to engage directly with him; it just seemed strange that he would make a bunch of accusations, claiming first hand knowledge of things and even name names but stop short of saying exactly what it was.
Bnicoll is full of shit. He kinda outed himself when he came up with the gem...

"Great to see Murin win. I was at the meet last year in MN where he suffered a tough loss to the same guy, broke down after the match. Then was humiliated by McKee who mimicked him crying."

On the surface that comment seems legit. Only problem was, the match where Murin broke down in tears happened in an arena in an entirely different state (Illionois) against an entirely different wrestler (Carr). Simply put, the guy just makes up shit as he goes...

I think he is insinuating the "promise" of post grad NLWC monies to make up for the lack of schollie money in present terms allocated to a particular recruit. Thus creating a back sided extra schollies.
Okay. Thx.

As we all know someone with a history in the PSU room would be telling this story if it was true. Beard, Suriano, Verkleeren, and especially Teske could simply make a statement on social media that something shady is going on, yet none of them do. The folks that repeat this over and over just have little dick syndrome and are trying to compensate somehow for their shortcomings.

He would be making libelous statements about a guy that has the resources to make life miserable for him. Vague can be defended. Specifics get you hauled into court.

Last edited:
As we all know someone with a history in the PSU room would be telling this story if it was true. Beard, Suriano, Verkleeren, and especially Teske could simply make a statement on social media that something shady is going on, yet none of them do. The folks that repeat this over and over just have little dick syndrome and are trying to compensate somehow for their shortcomings.
That’s a great point. They’ve had recruits and varsity wrestlers go to Iowa (and elsewhere). If something against rules was happening, you’d think it would have been reported by now, investigated and if improper, penalties issued.

Reactions: Creek Side
social media has clearly allowed some people to really show who they are.

That said the great slum lord of the mid west and TB arent exactly on different pages. Meaning, TB has had several press conferences in the last years making all kinds of accusations. Some more veiled than others. He has in a few instances gone right up to the line, and then pulls back. But wrestling media being the small group that it is never goes back at him.

So its clearly a strategy on their part to try and get some concessions. Either from the B16, the ncaa, wrestling media, fans, critics, etc.

Mark my words, should another prolonged PSU run happen, their desperation will only grow. The head people over there are unhinged alpha males who feel they are put in a corner by Caels success at PSU.

So i guess the only thing to do is up my donation to Pat M, Willie and get ready for the next phase of the board wars.

@Mike Zierath are you allowing the ceasefire to end?

If Cael is recruiting an elite HS wrestler, I could see the topic of "Exactly how does the NLWC fit into my future?" coming up. And I could see Cael or Cody patiently explaining how the NLWC could aid their development. I could even see Cael, Cody, or Casy asking what kind of long-term wresting aspiration the wrestler has. During that discussion it seems wholly appropriate to say something like "Well, if you follow through on your commitment to those goals, then there is a chance you might eventually become an NLWC resident athlete. As coaches, we're here to support you achieving your goals."

This kind of conversation is a long way from "promising NLWC monies on the backend."

I've also read HR complaints alleging big money donors paying above scale for PSU wrestlers to give clinics. But now some seem to recognize NIL has pretty much eliminated any teeth behind enforcing this kind of alleged compliance infraction.

These two allegations seem to be what is termed "gray areas leading to an extra 5 or 6 scholarships." And Iowa with Coach Brands never approached these gray areas.

But Iowa will be operating on even playing from now on, so stay tuned. It can only be good for the sport.

Reactions: mcpat and PSUbluTX
If Cael is recruiting an elite HS wrestler, I could see the topic of "Exactly how does the NLWC fit into my future?" coming up. And I could see Cael or Cody patiently explaining how the NLWC could aid their development. I could even see Cael, Cody, or Casy asking what kind of long-term wresting aspiration the wrestler has. During that discussion it seems wholly appropriate to say something like "Well, if you follow through on your commitment to those goals, then there is a chance you might eventually become an NLWC resident athlete. As coaches, we're here to support you achieving your goals."

This kind of conversation is a long way from "promising NLWC monies on the backend."

I've also read HR complaints alleging big money donors paying above scale for PSU wrestlers to give clinics. But now some seem to recognize NIL has pretty much eliminated any teeth behind enforcing this kind of alleged compliance infraction.

These two allegations seem to be what is termed "gray areas leading to an extra 5 or 6 scholarships." And Iowa with Coach Brands never approached these gray areas.

But Iowa will be operating on even playing from now on, so stay tuned. It can only be good for the sport.
Like I said, PA, NJ and NY are our main recruiting grounds. Once we got serious and hired Cael, the playing field shifted.

They need to worry more about fighting Ohio State for 2nd.

Reactions: Grass
BTW, how many athletes are getting “NLWC monies“ without having elite credentials to justify it?
I've already discussed this on HR. I pointed to Hall and Cenzo not being at NLWC. I've pointed to many NLWC resident athletes who never attended PSU.

Now if I put my HR lenses on and cherry pick, I probably would point to Nick Nevills and Jordan Conaway.

I've already discussed this on HR. I pointed to Hall and Cenzo not being at NLWC. I've pointed to many NLWC resident athletes who never attended PSU.

Now if I put my HR lenses on and cherry pick, I probably would point to Seth Nevills and Jordan Conaway.
And while I don’t know Seth’s involvement, anyone would know that Jordan Conaway might be the perfect NLWC “room guy”, if there was one. Gas tank for days, great attitude, and always ready to scrap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT