ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

HR doesn’t like tough wrestling environments?
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I've never met a bully that didn't cry when getting punched in the nose.

Reactions: Hotshoe and ccdiver
Another gem from the one and only:

"Not so much the crowd influencing anything, as it is the POS Refs you have being bias! This is WITHOUT question! Just watch SLs match and IF you have ANY understanding of college wrestling at all???? Tell me where his Bar arms were even close to PD!?!?!? Fact is, they were not!!! Yet the POS stopped it not once, but twice!

Then the POS was pretty quick to ding Teske at 133, OK, what happened in the very next match? Woods had to shoot 4 or 5 shots to ZERO!!! NO CALL!!!

Then you have that new ketchup kid at 157 RUNNING off the mat!!! Not only no flee call, not even a stall call!?!??!

The parallel ankle stall rides are just that. By rule, a stall PERIOD!

Funny how you would bring up steroids. I will use the term PEDs and it is very obvious to anyone watching. The newest guy ButterDean is all puffed up. Very similar to "murphy Brown" , The apple picking guys Macintosh, in that look they all have. You also had the Great Cassar, and do not forget "funny Bo nose!!!'

ALL have moved up weight classes and NONE really had the body type to do so, Hmmm????? Kinda odd isn't it? ButterDean for example is very short for the weight, The great cassar was a 99 pound weakling, Bo seems to be lighter now??? Again ALL odd.

I will however give you the opportunity to respond with some examples from the last 15 years I will give you of any team doing this some type thing? Even the steroid using gophers I do not believe had this kind of thing going?"

Juice Bar owner, best wrestling club owner, father of 2 beautiful daughters. Hell, if they had any class what so ever they would still be standing and applauding!
They really only have a problem with Spencer being booed. The rest of their guys ain't worthy of their defense. They also fail to point out fans didn't specifically pick out Spencer to boo. They booed every one of their guys. So this idea he was bood because he didn't come to PSU is dumb.

There is no denying that Spencer was the Pennsylvania son 6-7 years ago. When he chose to go to Iowa over PSU I suspect that burnt the bridge of loyalty with a lot of fans.

I am not defending it, but it is the reality.

Off the top of my head, it's not entirely dissimilar to Brands leaving VT, where the friction remains to this day. Likewise I don't see a lot of Iowa/Iowa State wrestling fans cheering on the true GOAT. In fact most not longer know Carl's first name.

Reactions: Verolion and Ski
They really only have a problem with Spencer being booed. The rest of their guys ain't worthy of their defense. They also fail to point out fans didn't specifically pick out Spencer to boo. They booed every one of their guys. So this idea he was bood because he didn't come to PSU is dumb.
It is clear that for the residents of HR, the constantly-online Hawkeye fans, the wrestling world begins and ends with Spencer Lee right now. Everything is somehow reflecting on or a reflection of Spencer and his accomplishments. If something happens...it must be happening specifically because of Spencer Lee.

So...Penn State fans weren't booing their biggest rival during introductions (as seems customary, and certainly not uncommon in CHA)...Penn State fans were booing Spencer Lee specifically.

For the record, I politely applauded Spencer when he walked out, and when he had his hand raised (though at that point, I was probably more applauding Marco's effort). There were definitely boos for all of the hawks aplenty in the arena--but I also wasn't close to the only person applauding. It was a crowd of 15,998* people--more than a few of them had been pregaming for a good while. No reports of any of the hawkeyes getting called nasty names that I've seen, so there's that.

*Is it very weird that this tied our record? Is there a fire marshall fine that kicks in if you get to 16k?

Well we all know this man and a few others over there are delusional, drunks, have dementia or all the above. You really cannot have a serious wrestling discussion over there. I’ve tried and after their bullshit posters i just stirred the pot for awhile. Now i just read their board and laugh at them. We have our special people here as well but never seen some of that totally over the top sh@t here.

I booed introductions, laughingly and in good fun. It certainly wasn’t mean-spirited or meant to intimidate. It was tongue-in-cheek good natured fun. I considered it normal of the home crowd against a rival. I certainly wouldn’t boo a military academy or Clarion or Sacred Heart or even Maryland or Northwestern. But Iowa or Ohio State? Seemed normal and to be expected.

That said, I’ve been rethinking my behavior in that regard and likely won’t do it again. I’d like to think I’m respectful for the most part in my adult life and am listening to the folks that said it was disrespectful.

All of that said, the outcry from Iowa fans seems ludicrous to me. They are notorious for booing and yelling and not in a good-natured way. They cheered an Olympic gold medalist with announced plans to not wrestle again after the season. In a dual meet where that was the 5th match and they had won the first 4 bouts. Not a rival, not a dual in doubt. It’s not even in the same stratosphere as Friday night.

I booed introductions, laughingly and in good fun. It certainly wasn’t mean-spirited or meant to intimidate. It was tongue-in-cheek good natured fun. I considered it normal of the home crowd against a rival. I certainly wouldn’t boo a military academy or Clarion or Sacred Heart or even Maryland or Northwestern. But Iowa or Ohio State? Seemed normal and to be expected.

That said, I’ve been rethinking my behavior in that regard and likely won’t do it again. I’d like to think I’m respectful for the most part in my adult life and am listening to the folks that said it was disrespectful.

All of that said, the outcry from Iowa fans seems ludicrous to me. They are notorious for booing and yelling and not in a good-natured way. They cheered an Olympic gold medalist with announced plans to not wrestle again after the season. In a dual meet where that was the 5th match and they had won the first 4 bouts. Not a rival, not a dual in doubt. It’s not even in the same stratosphere as Friday night.
It was great to meet you. Hope you and the family had a great time!

As a general rule, I will boo officials and participate in "ref you suck" chants at hockey games, but I really don't boo competitors.

That said, for a fanbase to get all worked about those who do, in their home arena? If your sensibilities are actually that tender, you probably shouldn't be watching wrestling to begin with.

As a general rule, I will boo officials and participate in "ref you suck" chants at hockey games, but I really don't boo competitors.

That said, for a fanbase to get all worked about those who do, in their home arena? If your sensibilities are actually that tender, you probably shouldn't be watching wrestling to begin with.
Iowa fans have tender sensibilities. I like it. A lot!!

"Not so much the crowd influencing anything, as it is the POS Refs you have being bias! This is WITHOUT question! Just watch SLs match and IF you have ANY understanding of college wrestling at all???? Tell me where his Bar arms were even close to PD!?!?!? Fact is, they were not!!! Yet the POS stopped it not once, but twice!

Then the POS was pretty quick to ding Teske at 133, OK, what happened in the very next match? Woods had to shoot 4 or 5 shots to ZERO!!! NO CALL!!!

Then you have that new ketchup kid at 157 RUNNING off the mat!!! Not only no flee call, not even a stall call!?!??!

Funny how you would bring up steroids. I will use the term PEDs and it is very obvious to anyone watching. The newest guy ButterDean is all puffed up. Very similar to "murphy Brown" , The apple picking guys Macintosh, in that look they all have. You also had the Great Cassar, and do not forget "funny Bo nose!!!'

ALL have moved up weight classes and NONE really had the body type to do so, Hmmm????? Kinda odd isn't it? ButterDean for example is very short for the weight, The great cassar was a 99 pound weakling, Bo seems to be lighter now??? Again ALL odd.

I will however give you the opportunity to respond with some examples from the last 15 years I will give you of any team doing this some type thing? Even the steroid using gophers I do not believe had this kind of thing going?"
All I can say is this, Holy Sheep Dip!

LOL PSU wins without cheating they can even go up a weight even though they are the same weight and still kick ass,its called great wrestling! ask anyone that wrestled TAYLOR OR BO!!LOL have a great day!

Did anyone else notice IB saying in a recent 3-page rant post that he’s never been to a match at CHA?

Not that you have go to matches to be a fan and I have no idea if he lives too far away to go.

But based on his level of fandom, and the rants he goes on, I found that at least a little surprising.

Did anyone else notice IB saying in a recent 3-page rant post that he’s never been to a match at CHA?

Not that you have go to matches to be a fan and I have no idea if he lives too far away to go.

But based on his level of fandom, and the rants he goes on, I found that at least a little surprising.
IDK, Professional Journalist (TM) Tim Foley never visited CHA in the many years he lived in Chicago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT