ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Gomez

Is Kasak that small though? According to Cael, he had been working hard to get to 141. After Sr Nationals he can build himself back up.

Lehigh was one match. He has 2 more competition dates, let's see how he does.
I don't believe that he will be at quite the same size disadvantage that Beau was. Beau has subsequently said that he could have made 133 that year if he had to (there was no spot for him there, either, obviously), which is why he originally insisted on being a 141 and challenging Lee, which we mistook for a bit of arrogance. He was truly too small for 149 but did it anyway eventually.

With that said, if there is a weakness I've seen in Kasak (from admittedly limited exposure to his wrestling), it's that he can sometimes be overpowered and horsed around a little. That's not a good sign for a true freshman wrestling up a weight, but he is very talented, so it's not something he can't overcome, either.

As I said above, I'd prefer to see him go than transfer Gomez in (not that I even think that is a possibility, but it is the topic du jour here...). I think that they are both capable of a mid-AA finish, with the difference being that Kasak would be exciting to watch as a true freshman whereas Gomez would be a small underachievement.

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
Correct me if I'm wrong but the new freshman red shirt rules allow for five dates in the first semester only. The point being, if we see Kasak in any of the duals after the New Year that's it, he's going, correct? I guess that would have to include the scuffle as well.

From what I am hearing, it sounds Shayne got injured during warmups. Just sheer bad luck (maybe foot planted wrong, freak occurences always happen) He was listed as a starter (no OR) and someone I know said his dad was there and went into the locker room as well so sounded like he was expecting to wrestle.

Tyler weighed in at 146, I think if he knew he was wrestling 149, he could have gotten there easy with no cut. That might explain why there was an adrenaline dump definitely, plus finding out you're wrestling because your teammate is probably done for the year can't be easy, these guys love each other.

Tyler wrestled Munch as a high school senior and won 6-0 (8-0 with 3 point takedowns)
I think Cael said at some point that it was an existing issue that he couldn't ignore any longer, although it sounds plausible that he could have aggravated it during warm ups.

I think Cael said at some point that it was an existing issue that he couldn't ignore any longer, although it sounds plausible that he could have aggravated it during warm ups.
If Shayne was hurt before he hid it very well

Correct me if I'm wrong but the new freshman red shirt rules allow for five dates in the first semester only. The point being, if we see Kasak in any of the duals after the New Year that's it, he's going, correct? I guess that would have to include the scuffle as well.
Levi wrestled in 2 January duals last year. His shirt wasn't pulled until he stepped on the mat against Iowa.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
SVN might not be at 149 forever? Where's he gonna go if the rumors of Messenbrink to 157 and Haines to 165 next year are true?
I doubt any of them think they can’t beat the others. And they shouldn’t.

The five date redshirt rule applies to the whole season, not just the first semester.

The new rule last year regarding the first semester was wrestlers in their first semester (true freshmen) could only wrestle attached. They could not enter open tournaments unattached until the 2nd semester.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Just want to point out that Kasak-Evans went to SV (as did Bartlett-Evans last year), and although Evans would be a small 149, he wrestles a physical style. I’m not sure it’s definitely Kasak over him for the spot.

Reactions: nerfstate
I know I know, he's training with the Wolverines so he's probably going to go there but hear me out. With SVN going down PSU can offer him the best possible chance to win a national championship and can guarantee he'd be part of a team title. He's also on the Mexican national team with a certain Mr. RBY who I'm sure would be able to help bring him in.

But there's more! Michigan wrestles Iowa at home this season while PSU travels to CHA. That would mean he gets another chance to shove it straight up to where the sun don't shine of the people who racially abused his family. If I'm Gomez this would be a no-brainer. Prepping for my last big dance by training with in the best room on the planet while assuring myself of a team title and getting to celebrate in CHA one last time would be too much to resist.
He can join UM and pray his bum hip doesn't flare up. UM bought a bunch of duds in the portal last year. It would be a miracle if they finish in the top 5 this year.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Just want to point out that Kasak-Evans went to SV (as did Bartlett-Evans last year), and although Evans would be a small 149, he wrestles a physical style. I’m not sure it’s definitely Kasak over him for the spot.
And FWIW, Byers repeated multiple times during the Hofstra audio broadcast that Evans is in the mix for the 149 starting slot. His emphasis of the point surprised me a bit.

At least the rumor lasted less than a week here.

Yeah, but it is Flo, so......

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Random4598375
He sure looked amazing in November of last year. With SVN out, he could win it all, and I wouldn’t mind, except for the singlet.

Im gonna guess more in line with how Micic fared in his 9th year. He’ll gas in the first.
Certainly possible, and unsurprising, if it happens. Probably depends a lot on his health. He looked pretty good against Nick at worlds, until he thought going upper body was his strength in that match, anyway.

Gomez's knee injury last year was also brutal, a non contact one IIRC and he came back from that looking like a shell of himself (went 0-2 at B1Gs then R16 at NCAAs) His style definitely isn't ideal to wrestle with a torn ACL.

He has been active on the free scene right after NCAAs so I'm guessing he never got it repaired.

Reactions: baccafarmer
I’m with you - a bunch of dinged up clockpunchers getting that sweet Cliff Keen moolah

Michigan is going all in on the old-man strategy again. With Gomez, half of their lineup will be in their 6th year.

Good luck with that. They just finished 8th at the Cliff Keen Invitational.

Eventually, investors will want a better return.

Reactions: RandyL
Theoretically, Mesenbrink could stay at 165 for another year and SVN could go 157 while Haines takes his redshirt year, but with Sealey, Duke, Ryder, Barr, and the Mirasolas (and also potentially Asher as well if he continues to build on the Ironman result) coming in between 157 and 197 in the next several years, the logjam will only grow if SVN needs a spot in that range, too.

But if he can't make 149 anymore, then he can't make it. This isn't OK State.
You guys suck! So many options. Lol
Reminds me of the original Olympic Dream team. I watched the games, I remember that in one game Patrick Ewing got in foul trouble. The commentator said "oh, what a headache for the coach, now he has to put David Robinson back in"!
😆

Levi wrestled in 2 January duals last year. His shirt wasn't pulled until he stepped on the mat against Iowa.
I think I read somewhere that the last day before the 2nd semester starts is the controlling date. On Jan 2, second semester classes are not in session.

From what I am hearing, it sounds Shayne got injured during warmups. Just sheer bad luck (maybe foot planted wrong, freak occurences always happen) He was listed as a starter (no OR) and someone I know said his dad was there and went into the locker room as well so sounded like he was expecting to wrestle.

Tyler weighed in at 146, I think if he knew he was wrestling 149, he could have gotten there easy with no cut. That might explain why there was an adrenaline dump definitely, plus finding out you're wrestling because your teammate is probably done for the year can't be easy, these guys love each other.

Tyler wrestled Munch as a high school senior and won 6-0 (8-0 with 3 point takedowns)
Funny. Nearly every wrestler for a couple of decades that wears the blue and white singlet for the first time in Rec Hall has an adrenaline dump. Even the best ones. Kasak wasn’t the first and won’t be the last. :)

I think I read somewhere that the last day before the 2nd semester starts is the controlling date. On Jan 2, second semester classes are not in session.
Levi's competition dates were:
1. 11/13 = Bearcat Open
2. 11/20 = Black Knight Invite
3. 12/19-20 = Collegiate Duals
4. 1/6 = Wisconsin
5. 1/20 = Michigan
------------
6. 1/27 = Iowa

Reactions: hlstone
So...Kasak or Evans? Who ya got
Kasak. Evans is good but Kasak already beat him even though it was close. I just think Kasak as a true freshman is going to improve a ton throughout the season. His upside is just much higher in my opinion

Kasak. Evans is good but Kasak already beat him even though it was close. I just think Kasak as a true freshman is going to improve a ton throughout the season. His upside is just much higher in my opinion
I'm taking Evans, but I hear you! Happy either way...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT