ADVERTISEMENT

Bama-Wisconsin...and other games

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Tide obviously favored, but it's an interesting intersectional matchup. Might get an early bead on how much of a handful Wisconsin could prove to be for us in late October.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I know it's early, but Bama without Saban lacks the intensity that they had previously.

Was that their portal kicker who missed that FG?

Badger D gives up a few 1st downs and then stiffens, forcing Bama FG attempt which is missed from 46 yards. Wisconsin up 3-0.

Back-up Wisconsin QB didn't look good on his first series. Somehow I don't think the starter will be back on the field today. Looked like a significant knee injury. Feel bad for the kid.

Back-up Wisconsin QB didn't look good on his first series.
Locke played a lot last year at the end of the year
That sack on this drive was ugly--lucky they didn't lose that fumble.
Locke looks lost so far--hard without reps to go in against Bama though

Reactions: Jerry
Single back...gets the ball six yards in the backfield on the 4th and very short...everybody is keying on the guy. Not a good play call...especially after the Badgers telegraphed their hand before the official timeout to check the spot.

Single back...gets the ball six yards in the backfield on the 4th and very short...everybody is keying on the guy. Not a good play call...especially after the Badgers telegraphed their hand before the official timeout to check the spot.
I remember Franklin defending that and thinking he was wrong. I think Fickle was wrong too. The QB s/b under center. Probably a QB keep with a FB pushing from behind.

Holy crap. Bama QB throws a dime for the 30-yard TD. 7-3 Tide...with the Badger back-up QB looking not up to the task.

I remember Franklin defending that and thinking he was wrong. I think Fickle was wrong too. The QB s/b under center. Probably a QB keep with a FB pushing from behind.
I hate not being under center on a 4th and less then 1--you're asking to get stuffed. Motion isn't going to impact that play like Wisconsin was hoping--the LBs are going to fill the gaps--if you want to try to run it wide with the WR they'll let you try it

Reactions: bdroc
And, off topic, but FSU is awful. Down 3-0 to Memphis. The 27th year senior, DJ U, is 5/6 for 7 yards and a pick.
Admit the mistake of adding him and play Brock or Kromenhoek

And, off topic, but FSU is awful. Down 3-0 to Memphis. The 27th year senior, DJ U, is 5/6 for 7 yards and a pick.
Admit the mistake of adding him and play Brock or Kromenhoek

You've heard of losing a tough game and then having the hangover lead to a 2nd consecutive loss.

FSU is doing the concept one better: they're blowing a whole season after the bitter end of last year.

I didn't give Wisconsin much of a chance in this game but they would have been right in the thick of it if not for the screw ups.
  • Deep hand-off on 4th and a foot.
  • Fumble giving Bama the ball deep in Wisc territory.
  • Offsides on Bama 4th and goal.
Underdogs can't do those things and expect to win.

Terrible Badger penalty to give Bama second life on the 3rd-down near the goal line. Result: 14-3.

Wisconsin really in the hole now. There appears to be no way they can play competitively from behind with this back-up QB running the offense.

Tough spot for the back-up. He just wasn't ready to be put in this situation against this D.

I'll tack on another OT here, just cause it likely desnt deserve its own thread. So far South Carolina taking LSU to the woodshed. 17-0. SC dominant on both lines.

You've heard of losing a tough game and then having the hangover lead to a 2nd consecutive loss.

FSU is doing the concept one better: they're blowing a whole season after the bitter end of last year.
Honestly, I just don't think FSU is good. I've been betting against them (or DJ U) all year. Norvell gets fired if they lose today

If I'm Bama, I'm just loading up against the Badger run the rest of the way and forcing the Wisconsin back-up to make plays.

I'll tack on another OT here, just cause it likely desnt deserve its own thread. So far South Carolina taking LSU to the woodshed. 17-0. SC dominant on both lines.

Very interesting. Maybe we'll be treated to another Brian Kelly tantrum after the game.

Now Wisc misses a FG giving Bama time to score.

Wisc should have run on 3rd and short. If they come up short go for it on 4th or kick but at least you don't leave time on the clock.

Mizzou is playing better now--the Fighting O'Briens still have a shot
Meanwhile, Mike Norvell might as well just pack up his office after this game--even if they battle back he has to go

Lando, I can't imagine Norvell being fired...yet. Maybe if the rest of the season plays out as disastrously as the start has been, the school would take a hard look.

Mizzou is playing better now--the Fighting O'Briens still have a shot
Meanwhile, Mike Norvell might as well just pack up his office after this game--even if they battle back he has to go
FSU right now is in one of those bad dreams that just won’t end. I don’t know whether many of their players already have packed it in or they just don’t have enough good players, but they are legitimately bad right now. Their qb is not good, but their d-line is even worse.

Reactions: LandoComando
Lando, I can't imagine Norvell being fired...yet. Maybe if the rest of the season plays out as disastrously as the start has been, the school would take a hard look.
Remember--they're desperately trying to get into the SEC or Big Ten. 0-3 against BC, Ga Tech and Memphis gets him fired. They're in a perceived weak conference and they're eliminated from the playoff before October. Simply can't happen. He's only 19-15 in the ACC since he was hired--the smoke and mirrors of last year won't protect him.

A couple other coaches have really big games today as well or their seat become very hot including they guy we beat in the opener.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT