ADVERTISEMENT

Bat signal is up

Hogan? He played at Monmouth.

Go back to the 2014 class. Last minute pickups Christian Campbell and Torrence Brown were both rated lower than Hardy is now. So were Chasz Wright and Mark Allen. I think all four contributed enough to consider them worth the scholarships -- especially the two Franklin got to commit late.

Not all will pan out. Then again, not all 4 and 5 star kids will pan out either. Hardy looks like a football player to me. Let's see what he does in Beaver Stadium before we decide if he's worthy of the offer or not.

OK, but it's still OUR decision, right? We have the final say.

Last edited:
Hogan? He played at Monmouth.

Go back to the 2014 class. Last minute pickups Christian Campbell and Torrence Brown were both rated lower than Hardy is now. So were Chasz Wright and Mark Allen. I think all four contributed enough to consider them worth the scholarships -- especially the two Franklin got to commit late.

Not all will pan out. Then again, not all 4 and 5 star kids will pan out either. Hardy looks like a football player to me. Let's see what he does in Beaver Stadium before we decide if he's worthy of the offer or not.
Mark Allen committee to Bill OBtien and never wavered. Def not last minute, nor CJF’s guy.
Agree with your premise, just wrong info.

Mark Allen committee to Bill OBtien and never wavered. Def not last minute, nor CJF’s guy.
Agree with your premise, just wrong info.

That's not what I meant. I was saying that Campbell and Brown were last minute Franklin pickups. The other two I mentioned only because they were rated lower than Hardy is now.

Reactions: kijanalives
I don’t think they are going to throw those scholarships out to just any kid to get to 85. They are more willing to hold it back and give it to a current walk-on for that kids last year. It awards kids in the program that are hard workers and play a vital role in the team.

Or they can look to see what’s out there in the transfer portal to see if there is someone worth bringing in. But I don’t think they are going to just throw a ship at a kid that is at best a long shot. There’s a definite difference between a kid like Hardy, and offering a kid that’s only been offered by MAC schools or at best is a level of a preferred walk-on.
FWIW: Hardy doesn’t have any LOI offers from schools “above MAC level” (aside from PSU of course)

I know that we like to look down at other teams in the conference but he had offers from.
Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, Army, Navy, and Pitt all above or slightly above the MAC.

This guy, although in my opinion not a good person, was a great coach. Here's his take on what you wrote.

http://footballscoop.com/news/urban...e-camps-7-7s-go-earn-recommendation-hs-coach/

One of the biggest platforms for advocates of satellite camps was how many scholarship opportunities are presented to kids in attendance that impress college coaches working the camps.

While that is certainly true to a certain extent, Urban Meyer has a different stance that he shared with players in attendance at a camp in Columbus over the weekend, and 247 was there to capture that message.

“For some reason, this whole recruiting thing is blowing up. Kids say ‘I have to go to this 7-on-7, or do this or this. I’ve got a better idea. Go become a great high school football player on your team. When we walk into that high school, guess what that head coach says? ‘Take him.’ And you know what we do at Ohio State when he says that? We usually take him.”

Connatix
“I don’t care what you do at camps. I want to hear your high school coach say ‘Take him.’ If I have a relationship with that high school coach like I do with these NFL coaches, guess what happens? We take him.”

Don’t worry about the camps. That’s all fun and stuff, but that’s not why Ohio State recruits you. I can speak for the majority of my friends that coach football – that means nothing. What means something is the recommendation of the high school football coach. Go become a captain. If you’re a captain of your high school team and you’re talented enough, you’ve got a great chance of being here. If you’re very talented and you’re not a captain, then I’m going to find out why because something is not right.”

A week or so back, Nick Saban made some waves by saying that “football is the only high school sport where the high school coach still mattered, and satellite camps were in danger of destroying that.

Meyer’s message is an important one for high school players, and their coaches to hear. Don’t sweat the hyped up camps and the 7-on-7 stuff, focus on becoming the best player on your team and earning the unwavering recommendation of your high school coach because that’s what matters most to college coaches across all levels.

“Parents ask me all the time, ‘Should I send him to that camp?’ Well, sure if you have $80 to blow then go ahead. Here’s where you start – go make your high school coach so proud of you that he’s going to tell college coaches, ‘Take him.’ How cool is that? It’s real simple. Don’t complicate things.”

See more from Urban’s talk with camp attendees below.
---
Great stuff if the kid plays a football school or the coaches know the top college coaches. Buy a kid playing a small school or a school without the contacts needs to do more. Look at Journey Brown, played at Franklin where he got little notice.

I am sure that many kids have moved up the chart after a couple of good camps. I personally know one that worked himself into a scholarship after attending two camps. Had no offers prior, just a couple of preferred walk on offers.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
I know that we like to look down at other teams in the conference but he had offers from.
Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, Army, Navy, and Pitt all above or slightly above the MAC.

I read an article from either before or after the State Championship, where his coach or an insider was quoted as saying there had not been much recent contact from UM, MSU, or Nebraska. Like with PSU, Hardy was most likely a "plan B" recruit.

I am sure that many kids have moved up the chart after a couple of good camps. I personally know one that worked himself into a scholarship after attending two camps. Had no offers prior, just a couple of preferred walk on offers.
Agreed. But Urbs doesn't want those kids anyway.

Exponential concern about neural trauma was the root of the problem. 3 years in, and could have played more.

He announced his retirement the day after the study was released showing all the ex-NFL players who had brain damage. Since his future was in astrophysics, he immediately got out. (And I realize his field may not be ASTROphysics.)

---
Great stuff if the kid plays a football school or the coaches know the top college coaches. Buy a kid playing a small school or a school without the contacts needs to do more. Look at Journey Brown, played at Franklin where he got little notice.

Journey played at Meadville, not Franklin, but your point remains.

---

And we all hope Journey produces on the field.

But I’m encouraged for these kids by the combination of CJF’s push for 3.5 year graduation, the 4-game RS rule and the opportunities presented by the transfer portal. Even if these kids don’t turn into stars here, many seem to find opportunities elsewhere and there’s an under-appreciated shift from “NFL or bust” to NFL or grad school.

Reactions: mcgunns
I know its asking a lot. But, I'll stretch a little and put my faith in the coach. I don't think he gives a damn about our recruiting ranking. He doesn't impress me as a guy who signs a recruit for exercise. This young man came on late and will be given some time to gain size and strength. I say welcome. But hey, just like in season........we are blessed with so many experts.
We used to go to the Big 33 game every year. One year we went and there was this kid there, going to Pitt. He was 5-9 155 lbs. He took a pitch and went 60 yards like a bolt of lightning. He was the best player on a field full of D-1 signees. He ended up at 5-10 195 lbs, four years later. He was as fast at that weight. Tony Dorset was his name. Ya never know.

I went out and looked at his highlights last night, kid has the athleticism to play at the next level and will have 2+ years to add weight. Kid seems to have legit instincts and can really accelerate in a hurry. I love the signing to be honest as he is in a deep spot in the current class and Galt will put the kid in the right situation to gain mass and keep his speed.

We used to go to the Big 33 game every year. One year we went and there was this kid there, going to Pitt. He was 5-9 155 lbs. He took a pitch and went 60 yards like a bolt of lightning. He was the best player on a field full of D-1 signees. He ended up at 5-10 195 lbs, four years later. He was as fast at that weight. Tony Dorset was his name. Ya never know.
Yea right Tony Dorsett was an undersized unknown. You better check your memory . He was highly recruited by Penn St. and certainly was bigger than 155 lbs.

I went out and looked at his highlights last night, kid has the athleticism to play at the next level and will have 2+ years to add weight. Kid seems to have legit instincts and can really accelerate in a hurry. I love the signing to be honest as he is in a deep spot in the current class and Galt will put the kid in the right situation to gain mass and keep his speed.

Exactly... I trust JF and his instincts. In todays world with spread offenses an excellent slot DB is almost required and he looks to fit that role perfectly. Should be a big contributor to special teams as well. Solid pick up

Yea right Tony Dorsett was an undersized unknown. You better check your memory . He was highly recruited by Penn St. and certainly was bigger than 155 lbs.
He was listed at 155. I didn’t say he was an unknown. My point, which I probably made badly, was about how he progressed physically.

Reactions: LionJim
he is really like 5-10 190. But in all my years, that guy hit the hole faster than anyone I've ever seen. I know players that played against him, in that Veer offense, who said they'd engage with the OLinemen, and TD would be passed them.

Fields was a 3 star when CJF offered. D1 offers from solid programs have more influence on ratings than some recruiting organizations evaluation have on them. Who does the evaluations for Rivals? If they are better at recognizing and evaluating talent, why aren't they the ones making 7 million a year. Some here have the whole process ass backwards......but stars are in their eyes and coming out their asses.

Tony Dorsett weighed less than 150 at the big 33 game ( I know because one of my friends who played in the game introduced me and I was bigger than him and I weighed 155 at the time.) If he was 155 when he played PSU as a freshman, that would have been the max.

Reactions: EPC FAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT