ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Bernie Truax Commits To PSU

giphy.gif

I'm sorta thinkin' if the whole Ferrari thing doesn't work out for the Hawks, they might want to give a call to the Panthers' Ryan Lomberg, who last night had a pretty good head slap, reversal, and fall against the Bruins' much larger Trent Frederic. But I think Angel Rivera was out of position and didn't make the call.

Reactions: nitlion6
So….,are we better with

Truax 184/ Brooks 197
Or Brooks 184, Truax 197? Thank u

Please vote John Brooks
I am pretty sure that Mr. Brooks, unlike certain parents from other teams, doesn't make it a habit of meddling and/or injecting drama into coaching decisions on message boards.

Reactions: Sullivan
I am pretty sure that Mr. Brooks, unlike certain parents from other teams, doesn't make it a habit of meddling and/or injecting drama into coaching decisions on message boards.
And he already gave us a heads up about AB going to 197. If 197 is better for Aaron's freestyle weight goals, Mr Brooks shouldn't have to answer twice.

Brooks is so good I believe it will not matter at all what weight he goes. Ford fusion isn't beating him either if he somehow escapes jail time and Iowa gives him a 22nd chance.

Reactions: Ja1339
AB doesn't quite have the length that Bo had, which can help make up for overall size mis-matches. I still don't see anyone at 197 touching him.

And Aaron's own underhook skills (along w/ Bo's) means Bernie will get everyday looks of something like Trent Hidlay's skillset. I haven't watched enough Bernie matches to predict how that matchup might work out, but Bernie has split matches w/ Keckeisen and beaten Romero, so I really think he has what he needs to ascend further up that podium.

Reactions: Ja1339
AB doesn't quite have the length that Bo had, which can help make up for overall size mis-matches. I still don't see anyone at 197 touching him.

And Aaron's own underhook skills (along w/ Bo's) means Bernie will get everyday looks of something like Trent Hidlay's skillset. I haven't watched enough Bernie matches to predict how that matchup might work out, but Bernie has split matches w/ Keckeisen and beaten Romero, so I really think he has what he needs to ascend further up that podium.
Wait, I thought that the folks at FRL said Hidlay was looking at 197 next year?

Reactions: jschrantz
I was joking with the John brooks part , some of u guys are wrapped pretty tight , lol.

Reactions: Aardvark86
so the bottom guy makes no attempt to escape and the top guy is unable to turn because the bottom guy is stalling so they are going to punish the top guy they never call enough stalls on the bottom guy so they have to start calling that more to be fair on the top guy!

Reactions: HAMMER167
so the bottom guy makes no attempt to escape and the top guy is unable to turn because the bottom guy is stalling so they are going to punish the top guy they never call enough stalls on the bottom guy so they have to start calling that more to be fair on the top guy!
but we all know how often refs call stalling!LOL

but we all know how often refs call stalling!LOL
That's the biggest problem. They wait until midway through the 3rd period to make the stall call. Just enforce the rules on the books. I'm ok with tweaking the stall when the grab the ankle too

Reactions: Ski
I recall having some heartburn about Bo moving to 197, and how that would impact the team. That move worked out ok. I don’t worry anymore. 😄
Well Traux weighed in at 186 for NCAAs and placed 4th.

I think Brooks will do well as well.

Reactions: creamery freak
I tend to think AB at 197 is just a teeny bit lesser version of AB at 184, unless he is having trouble making weight.
What weight is AB going for in freestyle?

Why will going to 197 help him with that weight?
Allows him to bulk up some to be able to handle some of the beasts in the 86kg class. He'd probably rather he have to cut more for trials/olympics than walk in under or even at weight. He's not the first to go this route. I think it was a big reason Bo went 197, Myles Amine in 2021 too.

I remember one Zain match his senior yr he was mopping the mat shutting the kid out the kid made zero moves the whole match I think Zain even looked at the ref like where's the stall about 5 seconds later the ref called stalling on Zain what a joke guess he pissed the ref off I don't ever remember Zain getting a stall call esp on top!

Reactions: bourbon n blues
AB referenced the cut being tough this year in his post match interview at NCAAs. I don't think it's like Myles Amine who went 197 to get used to big kids but I still think he himself was pretty small (he wrestled 174 his entire career for a reason) I think AB wouldn't lose much going 197 at all, maybe some length/strength advantage but his tank will be even more full. AB looked noticeably stronger on Saturday night than in the duals/Big Tens when he was able to hold Amine down for 4 minutes basically in the finals, which IMO indicates he has a big cut and a more full tank since he had a 12 hour recovery.

Reactions: hlstone
I’m going to be critical of this board, and I include myself in that. We’re three pages in and I don’t recall seeing a welcome message to our new wrestler. Welcome, Bernie! I’ve watched (admittedly mostly your NCAA body of work) with great fascination and admiration for a few years. It’s great to see you join the Blue and White!

AB is going to run through 197. He would have run through it this year and handled Nino and put Max, Ferrari, any of them in front of him and he's going to control that match easily.

He will be undefeated and control every single match next year. Bookmark this post for next June. I'm pretty sure I posted something similar about Bo a few years back.

AB is going to run through 197. He would have run through it this year and handled Nino and put Max, Ferrari, any of them in front of him and he's going to control that match easily.

He will be undefeated and control every single match next year. Bookmark this post for next June. I'm pretty sure I posted something similar about Bo a few years back.
FWIW, WrestleStat has AB ranked #1 at 197 and Bernie #4 at 184 for the upcoming season.

FWIW, WrestleStat has AB ranked #1 at 197 and Bernie #4 at 184 for the upcoming season.
I thought it strange that Nagao is not in the 133 rankings and not on the Minny roster at all and PSU has no one listed in the rankings either.

I thought it strange that Nagao is not in the 133 rankings and not on the Minny roster at all and PSU has no one listed in the rankings either.
I suppose for now we can put Davis' name there, but given the lack of data, he would go unranked.

AB referenced the cut being tough this year in his post match interview at NCAAs. I don't think it's like Myles Amine who went 197 to get used to big kids but I still think he himself was pretty small (he wrestled 174 his entire career for a reason) I think AB wouldn't lose much going 197 at all, maybe some length/strength advantage but his tank will be even more full. AB looked noticeably stronger on Saturday night than in the duals/Big Tens when he was able to hold Amine down for 4 minutes basically in the finals, which IMO indicates he has a big cut and a more full tank since he had a 12 hour recovery.
maybe I just imagine this but Brooks doesn't look too big to me!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT