ADVERTISEMENT

Betting line is up to -12 for the game this weekend.

TN Lion

Sep 6, 2001
Started at eight. I am holding on to a glimmer of hope that somehow that the Nits pull off the upset but at the same time it will be a stress free game for me and most I expect. If the buckeyes commit a few turnovers, maybe. Really sucks that home field will have a minimal sway on the game. We'll see how much heart this team has, that's for certain.

Started at eight. I am holding on to a glimmer of hope that somehow that the Nits pull off the upset but at the same time it will be a stress free game for me and most I expect. If the buckeyes commit a few turnovers, maybe. Really sucks that home field will have a minimal sway on the game. We'll see how much heart this team has, that's for certain.
OSU will win this game in a similar fashion as they've dispatched Michigan in the last several years. This PSU team does not have the offensive capabilities to outscore OSU, and PSU's defense will not be able to contain OSU's weapons to make it a close game.

Reactions: map-#1
We are, suddenly and surprisingly, so young. RB, WR, CB and S are all very young and experienced. That really showed last week. It is hard for me to believe we can compete against tOSU's passing game without secondary. So the way to win is to control the ball on O, and I can't believe we have the horses to do that.

Having said that, I expect us to play a much crisper game in terms of self inflicted wounds.

We are, suddenly and surprisingly, so young. RB, WR, CB and S are all very young and experienced. That really showed last week. It is hard for me to believe we can compete against tOSU's passing game without secondary. So the way to win is to control the ball on O, and I can't believe we have the horses to do that.

Having said that, I expect us to play a much crisper game in terms of self inflicted wounds.
Not so sure about that. I believe PSU has the horses - the question centers around the OSU defense which looked like crap the 1st half but seemed to adjust in the 2nd half. They have a lot of new starters on the D and might take them a few games to learn how to play together. I think the 12 points are way too much and actually think OSU is ripe for the picking. PSU has the talent to take them down - take it to the bank

Reactions: 81b&w and Sharkies
Not so sure about that. I believe PSU has the horses - the question centers around the OSU defense which looked like crap the 1st half but seemed to adjust in the 2nd half. They have a lot of new starters on the D and might take them a few games to learn how to play together. I think the 12 points are way too much and actually think OSU is ripe for the picking. PSU has the talent to take them down - take it to the bank
Don't disagree...but I feel like, had this game been game six, we'd be in a much better position. We have to improve A LOT and quickly. Neb panicked and shot themselves in the foot while competing early, tOSU had no pass rush but Neb didn't have the personnel to exploit that. My concern is that we have two receivers (a TE and a WR). Everyone else hasn't been on campus or the field, long enough.

We now have RB's who have very little game experience. I am not too concerned about their running but am more concerned about the blitz pickup. I suspect that tOSU blitzes a lot to test them.

Reactions: BBrown
I watched the 60 minute version of the Nebraska-OSU game. Couple of notes:

1) OSU's WR are really, really good. Olave (probably the best) might be out with a concussion (took a horrible hit on Saturday)

2) OSU's RBs are fine, but not scary. Fields running is far more of a concern than the RBs.

3) OSU's OL did not look great. Our DL should be able to get pressure on fields, but need to wrap up when they get the chance.

4) OSU's DL did not look nearly as dominant as it has. Nebraska was able to run the ball fairly effectively (including wide, which surprised me) and had great success with QB runs.

5) OSU goes for it on 4th down a lot including relatively deep in their own territory (I think they went for it on 4th and 1 at the their own 30). When they let Fields keep it, it worked pretty well, but their short yardage RB game wasn't great.

6) The game was actually close until halftime (I believe it was 17-14 with 3 minutes to play in the first half). It got ugly for two reasons: Nebraska had multiple defenders ejected for targeting in the 2nd half and they killed themselves with turnovers (including a scoop six) and penalties. OSU also added a meaningless late TD.

If PSU can clean up the turnover/penalty issues from last week, and build on what they did on offense, I think they can hang with them. There just isn't a ton of room for error.

Take OSU and give till the cows come home. This will be ugly. OSU wins 45-20.

Fields isn't built to take hits and as we saw last week he was the team's leading rusher. We need to get a shoulder on him every time he leaves the pocket. Or any time he's in the pocket for that matter. We have a shot if we can have him running scared and get a couple of turnovers. Gotta watch those medium level outs and deep crosses.

Last edited:
I see this game having all the ingredients for an upset. The Penn State defense will contain and punish Fields all game, while Sean Clifford runs an effective offense by methodically eating yardage and clock. I'm taking the Nittany Lions on a ML.

Who is going to put the fear into Fields? Parsons is gone...who is quick enough during passing downs to Spy him and bring the wood?

Normally I look forward to an ASS. BEATING. o_O , but I fear this one won’t feel good. A better use of my time on Saturday looks to be Alolan Marowak raids in Pokémon GO.

unnamed-1-11.jpg

I see this game having all the ingredients for an upset. The Penn State defense will contain and punish Fields all game, while Sean Clifford runs an effective offense by methodically eating yardage and clock. I'm taking the Nittany Lions on a ML.
I haven't been this confident in an OSU a$$ beating of PSU since ... well ... 2016;)

Like the OP I hold a glimmer of hope as I always think the Nits have a shot at home and when they have talent and we have talent.

There is no margin for error. I do believe penalties and turnovers will get cleaned up from last Saturday. Not sure though if we can eliminate ALL turnovers. That is one key that I think we HAVE to do in order to win.

I am encouraged from hearing some usual towering strengths of the Luckeyes may be a notch down this year like their lines. I am hoping we can get some pressure on Fields but not holding my breath. Worried that there is no Luketa the first half and Brandon Smith was a no show against IU. Our LB's suddenly look like a liability.

I think we can score on them and really hoping we utilize Freiermuth alot. Also try two tight end sets. Maybe Dotson can have a breakout game and Lee carries the rock with power and authority.

I do think we have a very good chance to cover the spread but like all of us I am really hoping we can shock the world and pick up the W.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I haven't been this confident in an OSU a$$ beating of PSU since ... well ... 2016;)
In 2016 the defense and special teams made some big plays, what a team effort! Coach Franklin will need to lean on the defense to contain Fields, and Clifford has to rise to the occasion and run a mistake free offense. Ohio State can be beat!!

Last edited:
I bet it at 12 1/2...Penn State for a modest sum. Not gonna lose the house on it.

It flies in the face of all logic...but hey, it's only money... ;)

OSU will win this game in a similar fashion as they've dispatched Michigan in the last several years. This PSU team does not have the offensive capabilities to outscore OSU, and PSU's defense will not be able to contain OSU's weapons to make it a close game.
Logical.

The glaring difference in this game is QB. That will be where the game is won or loss. Period.

Like the OP I hold a glimmer of hope as I always think the Nits have a shot at home and when they have talent and we have talent.

There is no margin for error. I do believe penalties and turnovers will get cleaned up from last Saturday. Not sure though if we can eliminate ALL turnovers. That is one key that I think we HAVE to do in order to win.

I am encouraged from hearing some usual towering strengths of the Luckeyes may be a notch down this year like their lines. I am hoping we can get some pressure on Fields but not holding my breath. Worried that there is no Luketa the first half and Brandon Smith was a no show against IU. Our LB's suddenly look like a liability.

I think we can score on them and really hoping we utilize Freiermuth alot. Also try two tight end sets. Maybe Dotson can have a breakout game and Lee carries the rock with power and authority.

I do think we have a very good chance to cover the spread but like all of us I am really hoping we can shock the world and pick up the W.
Luckeyes? This game could get real ugly real fast. And I don’t think luck will play a role here. It’s all about pure talent and great coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT