ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 bowl records vs SEC

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
Since PSU joined the Big 10, here are the bowl records of other notable Big 10 teams when playing the vaunted SEC (FTR, I counted games against current SEC teams, irrespective of what conference they were in at the time, e.g. TAMU)

The Mighty Ohio State University is 3-7.

Storied Michigan is 6-6.

Wisconsin "We Own the West" Badgers are 3-4.

Michigan State is 2-4.

PSU is 8-4

Since PSU joined the Big 10, here are the bowl records of other notable Big 10 teams when playing the vaunted SEC (FTR, I counted games against current SEC teams, irrespective of what conference they were in at the time, e.g. TAMU)

The Mighty Ohio State University is 3-7.

Storied Michigan is 6-6.

Wisconsin "We Own the West" Badgers are 3-4.

Michigan State is 2-4.

PSU is 8-4

Nice number but we all know that doesn't tell the full story. If you're playing in the Outback or Citrus it isn't exactly the same as playing in the playoff or a major bowl. Our best SEC bowl win is probably LSU in the Capital One Bowl, right?

Actually, the only numbers that matter any more are what happens in the playoffs and the Big Ten doesn't qualify so...

Nice number but we all know that doesn't tell the full story. If you're playing in the Outback or Citrus it isn't exactly the same as playing in the playoff or a major bowl. Our best SEC bowl win is probably LSU in the Capital One Bowl, right?

Actually, the only numbers that matter any more are what happens in the playoffs and the Big Ten doesn't qualify so...
While I appreciate what you are saying, but if you talk to SEC fans, the SEC is better across the board than the Big 10. It (Big10) is, year in and year out, a weak conference.

If I have time later today, I'll pull out the specific wins and losses for each team above. I think your argument probably applies to OSU, but not the other teams.

Shithead, the bowls pair comparable teams in a given year. I know you are trying to rationalize Tosu’s shit record, but there is no point.

While I appreciate what you are saying, if you talk to SEC fans, the SEC is better across the board than the Big 10. It is, year in and year out, a weak conference.

If I have time later today, I'll pull out the specific wins and losses for each team above. I think your argument probably applies to OSU, but not the other teams.

Yeah, that's fair. It probably is only Ohio State. I only remember playoff and titles games off the top of my head but Ohio State beat Bama and lost to Florida/LSU. And Ohio State wasn't great when we first joined the Big Ten so their might be some bad losses there.

Shithead, the bowls pair comparable teams in a given year. I know you are trying to rationalize Tosu’s shit record, but there is no point.

No, they don't. We're the third team in the Big Ten this year playing the 5th team in the SEC.

I'd rather be playing for titles and losing to elite teams than beating average teams. Ohio State wasn't great when we first joined the conference so I'm guessing they have bad losses there. I don't know their history like I know ours.

Honestly, the only two SEC wins that are impressive are Tennessee in the Fiesta and LSU in the CapOne.

One thing that many forget when looking at the BIG Bowl records is location.

Typically the BIG plays 'road games' vs the SEC and in the rosebowl.

PSU is slightly different as we have more fans up and down the east coast than other BIG universities. Remember after 2016 - the Rose Bowl was essentially a road game for us. That is what it is like for many BIG teams playing in Florida or the Southeast vs the SEC.

One thing that many forget when looking at the BIG Bowl records is location.

Typically the BIG plays 'road games' vs the SEC and in the rosebowl.

PSU is slightly different as we have more fans up and down the east coast than other BIG universities. Remember after 2016 - the Rose Bowl was essentially a road game for us. That is what it is like for many BIG teams playing in Florida or the Southeast vs the SEC.
While I agree about the Big10 playing in unfriendly bowl venues, I think most of the Big10 teams have alumni everywhere (especially in FL as folks retire) and/or travel well (it's not significantly more expensive to travel from Chicago or Detroit to Florida vs from Philly to FL). The Rose Bowl is the only venue where I've seen Big10 fans massively outnumbered, which is due to flight (and ticket) costs.

Maybe, but we have beaten Tennessee three times in bowls, and at least a couple of those Tennessee teams were pretty decent.

The thing that always annoys me about conference comparisons, particulary the SEC chest pounding, is that they are top heavy. Alabama has been/is the best team in college football. Great. Even if they get 2 teams in the playoffs. Does that make the SEC a better conference if the rest of their teams lose to the other conferences in the bowls? I say no. Sure, they have one or 2 of the best in the country (according to committee voters) but I don’t believe the rising tide theory applies there.

Yeah, that's fair. It probably is only Ohio State. I only remember playoff and titles games off the top of my head but Ohio State beat Bama and lost to Florida/LSU. And Ohio State wasn't great when we first joined the Big Ten so their might be some bad losses there.
You are not a Penn State fan. We have already established this.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
No, they don't. We're the third team in the Big Ten this year playing the 5th team in the SEC.

I'd rather be playing for titles and losing to elite teams than beating average teams. Ohio State wasn't great when we first joined the conference so I'm guessing they have bad losses there. I don't know their history like I know ours.

Honestly, the only two SEC wins that are impressive are Tennessee in the Fiesta and LSU in the CapOne.

Historically, Penn State has fared very well against the SEC in bowls and, no, not against lesser teams. In the 1990's, for example, three straight blow-outs of SEC teams, two of which entered the games ranked in the top-10 and the other in the top-15.

Going a little further back in time, Joe's first national championship came against an undefeated SEC team. A win over LSU in the Orange Bowl. And so forth.

As per the statistics listed at the top, the record is not as good for Michigan and Ohio State. It actually doesn't help them to get special treatment from the zebras in conference and then have to play a bowl game officiated by impartial refs.

Maybe, but we have beaten Tennessee three times in bowls, and at least a couple of those Tennessee teams were pretty decent.

The final records for those Tennessee teams were 9-3, 9-2-1, and 9-4. That includes the bowl loss to PSU. Apparently the 1994 Citrus Bowl win against a 9-1-1 Tennessee team which was ranked 5/6 isn't considered a good win, at least by some people.

Some people would point to the fact a 9-3 (#12) PSU team is 3rd best in the B1G while 9-3 (#14) UK team is 5th best in the $EC is proof the $EC is better. This has been pointed out before, but it is important to remember that scheduling is a big reason why the $EC appears better. We all know PSU's three OOC opponents weren't world beaters, although one went to the ACC championship game and another won their conference (albeit Sun Belt) and bowl game. Meanwhile UK's four OOC opponents were Central Michigan, Murray State (1AA), MTSU and a 2-10 Louisville squad. It isn't just the opponents but the timing of the schedules ... late in the season when teams are most impacted by injuries the SEC teams get essentially off week playing teams like MTSU and The Citadel.

I think CJF bringing up the inconsistencies between conferences during his press conference is spot on. Until all P5 conferences play equivalent schedules and ND joins a conference they are (partially) comparing apples and oranges.

Some people would point to the fact a 9-3 (#12) PSU team is 3rd best in the B1G while 9-3 (#14) UK team is 5th best in the $EC is proof the $EC is better. This has been pointed out before, but it is important to remember that scheduling is a big reason why the $EC appears better. We all know PSU's three OOC opponents weren't world beaters, although one went to the ACC championship game and another won their conference (albeit Sun Belt) and bowl game. Meanwhile UK's four OOC opponents were Central Michigan, Murray State (1AA), MTSU and a 2-10 Louisville squad. It isn't just the opponents but the timing of the schedules ... late in the season when teams are most impacted by injuries the SEC teams get essentially off week playing teams like MTSU and The Citadel.

I think CJF bringing up the inconsistencies between conferences during his press conference is spot on. Until all P5 conferences play equivalent schedules and ND joins a conference they are (partially) comparing apples and oranges.

The SEC is better right now. Kentucky has a win over Florida. That trumps anything we did this year if we're being honest. Their loss to Tennessee though (especially by 17) is far worse than anything we did. I don't know why we're mad the SEC is smart and plays one weak team in November. It's a great idea.

SEC > Big Ten > Big XII > ACC > Pac XII/American. Honestly the American might be better than the Pac XII. We can't bitch about the 9 games schedule. We need to win games we should win. And we can't get blown out by Michigan. Just like Ohio State can't get blown out by Purdue and expect to make the playoff under the current stupid 4 teams system. The real travesty is that OU made it over Georgia. Expecting OU to lose by 3+ scores.

Remember, even if the Big Ten runs the table against the SEC this bowl season the SEC was playing up because of all the teams that made the NY6

The SEC is better right now. Kentucky has a win over Florida. That trumps anything we did this year if we're being honest. Their loss to Tennessee though (especially by 17) is far worse than anything we did. I don't know why we're mad the SEC is smart and plays one weak team in November. It's a great idea.

SEC > Big Ten > Big XII > ACC > Pac XII/American. Honestly the American might be better than the Pac XII. We can't bitch about the 9 games schedule. We need to win games we should win. And we can't get blown out by Michigan. Just like Ohio State can't get blown out by Purdue and expect to make the playoff under the current stupid 4 teams system. The real travesty is that OU made it over Georgia. Expecting OU to lose by 3+ scores.

Remember, even if the Big Ten runs the table against the SEC this bowl season the SEC was playing up because of all the teams that made the NY6
Not mad the $EC schedules the way they do, I'm mad the NCAA doesn't make all P5 conferences schedule the same way and make ND join a conference. I understand the MBB conferences don't all follow the same scheduling rules, but at least they have an actual playoff that renders that much less important. As much as I hate them, if O$U played SWE Texas State instead of Purdue this year where would they be? Conversely, if Bama played like they did against The Citadel but it was against South Carolina and lost where would they be?

Not mad the $EC schedules the way they do, I'm mad the NCAA doesn't make all P5 conferences schedule the same way and make ND join a conference. I understand the MBB conferences don't all follow the same scheduling rules, but at least they have an actual playoff that renders that much less important. As much as I hate them, if O$U played SWE Texas State instead of Purdue this year where would they be? Conversely, if Bama played like they did against The Citadel but it was against South Carolina and lost where would they be?

The NCAA has no power over FBS if we're being honest and they definitely can't make Notre Dame join a conference. What needs to happens is teams need to stop scheduling ND so they're forced to join. As long as teams are willing to play them on the road they're going to keep enjoying the life of an Independent.

Honestly, we need drastic change in FBS

Last year the B1G had three teams in the NY6 therefore other teams were "playing up" in the bowl games. The conference bowl record was 7-1. That flies in the face of your above argument.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Last year the B1G had three teams in the NY6 therefore other teams were "playing up" in the bowl games. The conference bowl record was 7-1. That flies in the face of your above argument.

The SEC also had 3 teams in the NY6/playoff, We weren't playing up. Try again. We actually played down again because of LSU-ND. Stupid rule allowing ND to be include in the Citrus

The SEC also had 3 teams in the NY6/playoff, We weren't playing up. Try again. We actually played down again because of LSU-ND
Moving the goalposts is the sign of someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. You are giving the SEC a built-in excuse in the event they lose their bowl games. They're "playing up" you wrote because of the number of SEC teams in the NY6. So if the SEC has several teams in the NY6, the other conference members are playing up. If the B1G has several teams in the NY6, the other conference members are playing down?? Gotcha...

The final records for those Tennessee teams were 9-3, 9-2-1, and 9-4. That includes the bowl loss to PSU. Apparently the 1994 Citrus Bowl win against a 9-1-1 Tennessee team which was ranked 5/6 isn't considered a good win, at least by some people.

Tennessee was favored in st least 2 of 3 matchups in bowls.

What is our overall record versus SEC? I believe we are the only B1G school with winning record?

Let’s face it, SEC is at a huge advantage only playing 8 conference games and basically scheduling conference games when the schools want to play the games.

Moving the goalposts is the sign of someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. You are giving the SEC a built-in excuse in the event they lose their bowl games. They're "playing up" you wrote because of the number of SEC teams in the NY6. So if the SEC has several teams in the NY6, the other conference members are playing up. If the B1G has several teams in the NY6, the other conference members are playing down?? Gotcha...

Okay, let me dumb this down for you even more. When the Big Ten & SEC both have 3 teams in the NY6/playoff and the Citrus selects ND over a Big Ten team then the rest of our matchups against the SEC has them playing up. It isn't complicated. If we weren't playing the SEC in those next tier games then you'd be right.

So what you are saying is that Ohio State is awarded higher ranked bows it does not deserve, why PSU is getting lower ranked bowls but clearly should be in higher ranked bowls.

So what you are saying is that Ohio State is awarded higher ranked bows it does not deserve, why PSU is getting lower ranked bowls but clearly should be in higher ranked bowls.

Sure
Or at least those lower tier bowls would have better opponents if the SEC didn't get so many playoff/NY6/etc bowls that are better than what we end up in. Like us playing the 5th ranked SEC team this year when we were 3rd in the Big Ten

Michigan is 3-0 against Florida in bowl games and they play again this year. They should send a thank you note to Gainesville for their efforts in making them look competent.
Michigan has owned UF, except most of the years when UF was really good. Then UF didn’t play Michigan.

Sure
Or at least those lower tier bowls would have better opponents if the SEC didn't get so many playoff/NY6/etc bowls that are better than what we end up in. Like us playing the 5th ranked SEC team this year when we were 3rd in the Big Ten
UK has the third best record in the SEC (tied with UF and LSU). Saying they are 5th in the SEC isn't telling the whole story.

UK has the third best record in the SEC (tied with UF and LSU). Saying they are 5th in the SEC isn't telling the whole story.

Yes, they are the 5th place team in the SEC. The fact you're even trying to argue that they're not is pathetic.

Anything to make Penn State look bad you love. Isn't there another board you can hang out on or were you banned everywhere else and come here as your only option?

How does it make us look bad? The SEC has 4 teams in the playoffs/NY6. Kentucky is their 5th team. That's reality. I don't even care if we win or lose. Doesn't alter the quality of our season at all. These bowls are pointless but let's trying to make our opponent look better than we are.

Yes, they are the 5th place team in the SEC. The fact you're even trying to argue that they're not is pathetic.
Except they aren't. 9-3 is the third best record in the SEC. Are you disputing that fact? Are you disputing the fact that two other teams have that record, one of whom (UF) UK beat this year? So they should be no worse than fourth and I think tied for third is reasonable since they didn't play LSU.

Except they aren't. 9-3 is the third best record in the SEC. Are you disputing that fact? Are you disputing the fact that two other teams have that record, one of whom (UF) UK beat this year? So they should be no worse than fourth and I think tied for third is reasonable since they didn't play LSU.

Yes, it is--we're discussing the seeding/selection. Kentucky was 5 just like we were 3rd. This isn't complicated. The fact you're even trying to suggest Kentucky is better than LSU might be the dumbest thing I've read here all day and that's impressive. I could make a great argument that A&M is better but we're going with the order they're placed. LSU is in a NY6 bowl--Kentucky wasn't even close.

Yes, it is--we're discussing the seeding/selection. Kentucky was 5 just like we were 3rd. This isn't complicated.
You are moving the goalposts again. Just because they were selected behind LSU and UF doesn't mean they are a worse team than LSU and UF (which is what is important in the context of this conversation: the idea that the Big 10 frequently "plays lesser SEC competition")

Let’s face it, SEC is at a huge advantage only playing 8 conference games and basically scheduling conference games when the schools want to play the games.
It's a self imposed advantage. No reason we need to play 9 conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT