ADVERTISEMENT

Big Announcement coming possibly after this weekend

The room will take him higher. Count on it.
Guns - we shouldn't be positive about this.

Instead, one of us should start another thread on someone not coming here - like, oh, Spencer Lee. Those threads are certainly pertinent. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 21Guns
Guns - we shouldn't be positive about this.

Instead, one of us should start another thread on someone not coming here - like, oh, Spencer Lee. Those threads are certainly pertinent. ;)

Sure didnt take long for this information to make its way across the interwebs with no credit to the board or the poster. SAD!

EDIT: I also went to FOS for the first time in a while today and man is there some DB over there causing problems. SAD^2!

Not a done deal until it is announced officially. And pretty sure there's some coaches that we have trust and respect for, that are disappointed this info showed up on a message board.
I cringed and was disappointed at the OP. We should cheer at the end of the process and not influence the process. I don't need to know how sausage is made.

Reactions: RoarLions1
Hope we get him and he can be as good as many here are hoping.

As for whether coaches would be disappointed that this showed up on a message board, I will say that coaches hate almost all leaks. I'm sure it disappoints them that this info showed up on our board.

So, I don't really see why we should be worried about someone who shares this information willingly with us, it's their concern/problem, not ours.

GMan- it may be worth considering where the OP received the information. There are lots of reasons the coaches would find the leaking of this type of information concerning and highly problematic.

A likely source of the information for the OP could be the potential transfer, a close family member or friend. Otherwise who else close to the program would leak this information? My guess is that the original source is not one of the current wrestlers or staff members. If it was it would represent behavior completely out of character for the team and program. A case in point would be Suriano's ankle. Every kid in the room and staff member knew Nick's actual condition, yet no leak.

My guess is that the leaking of this information is a huge issue to Cael and the program. If I was Cael, I would turn over every stone to find the source. Finding any reasonable linkage to the potential transfer would be enough for me to immediately stop the process.

I agree with Roar's comments on this. I'm sure Cael and his staff are pretty busy today meeting with the 2 wrestlers (and others) who filled in last season when Cortez was injured.

To minimize distractions, "Lose lips sink ships" or in this case "what goes on in the room stays in the room" reflects what any coach requires from those close to the program. This is also a matter of trust, integrity and character that Cael and his staff often speak about when discussing the intangibles they look for when considering who to recruit.

It's a big deal. In this case, I would not be surprised if this potential transfer does not occur as a result of this information being leaked on this message board.

GMan- it may be worth considering where the OP received the information. There are lots of reasons the coaches would find the leaking of this type of information concerning and highly problematic.

I guess they could find it this way? They are *potentially* recruiting a wrestler for 133 next season and have him scheduled for a visit. Just because this isn't more public information doesn't mean it's unknown within wrestling circles.

A likely source of the information for the OP could be the potential transfer, a close family member or friend. Otherwise who else close to the program would leak this information? My guess is that the original source is not one of the current wrestlers or staff members. If it was it would represent behavior completely out of character for the team and program. A case in point would be Suriano's ankle. Every kid in the room and staff member knew Nick's actual condition, yet no leak.

I don't know or really care who the leak of information is. This is recruiting we're talking here, not national security.

My guess is that the leaking of this information is a huge issue to Cael and the program. If I was Cael, I would turn over every stone to find the source. Finding any reasonable linkage to the potential transfer would be enough for me to immediately stop the process.

You would really stop recruiting a kid because information about a future visit was leaked by a source that might not even be within the program? That's just not how recruiting works.

I agree with Roar's comments on this. I'm sure Cael and his staff are pretty busy today meeting with the 2 wrestlers (and others) who filled in last season when Cortez was injured.

It's possible they have to scramble, or it's possible that Cael told them already that they were going to look for a transfer to compete for the 133 spot. The two collectively went 1-16, while they wrestled hard admirably as underdogs and are good representatives of the university, it can't be that great of a surprise that Cael might look to make changes at that weight. They were backups last season too, so being backups for 17-18 shouldn't be earth shattering to them imo (maybe they feel differently and haven't been told yet, obviously).

To minimize distractions, "Lose lips sink ships" or in this case "what goes on in the room stays in the room" reflects what any coach requires from those close to the program. This is also a matter of trust, integrity and character that Cael and his staff often speak about when discussing the intangibles they look for when considering who to recruit.

See above, this is recruiting, this type of information gets out a lot in other sports, why is it so tragic in wrestling? This isn't the end of the world, the info can get out in a variety of ways, and who knows how many people within the NCAA wrestling community even knew already.

It's a big deal. In this case, I would not be surprised if this potential transfer does not occur as a result of this information being leaked on this message board.

This would surprise me a lot. I don't think we should be making decisions on who should transfer here based on whether someone somewhere told another person. We need to reflect internally on what's best for the 17-18 team and go from there.

According to the person who started this thread, his source is at CMU.
Nice work it is Corey Keener his dad is the Head coach @Pottsville Area was assistant at Blue Mountain. Big connection between Keener and Luke Gardner told they are very close friends. He is also looking at North Carolina according to my source at CMU! Josh Kindig connection there!

I guess they could find it this way? They are *potentially* recruiting a wrestler for 133 next season and have him scheduled for a visit. Just because this isn't more public information doesn't mean it's unknown within wrestling circles.

I don't know or really care who the leak of information is. This is recruiting we're talking here, not national security.

You would really stop recruiting a kid because information about a future visit was leaked by a source that might not even be within the program? That's just not how recruiting works.

It's possible they have to scramble, or it's possible that Cael told them already that they were going to look for a transfer to compete for the 133 spot. The two collectively went 1-16, while they wrestled hard admirably as underdogs and are good representatives of the university, it can't be that great of a surprise that Cael might look to make changes at that weight. They were backups last season too, so being backups for 17-18 shouldn't be earth shattering to them imo (maybe they feel differently and haven't been told yet, obviously).

See above, this is recruiting, this type of information gets out a lot in other sports, why is it so tragic in wrestling? This isn't the end of the world, the info can get out in a variety of ways, and who knows how many people within the NCAA wrestling community even knew already.

This would surprise me a lot. I don't think we should be making decisions on who should transfer here based on whether someone somewhere told another person. We need to reflect internally on what's best for the 17-18 team and go from there.

Most if not all of your comments are from the "fans" perspective and not for what is best for the program and the current wrestlers.

Any leader of a high performing organization relies on the trust and integrity of everyone who holds and/or has access to confidential information. Cael and the PSU wrestling team certainly have that requirement in place.

I'm sure part of Cael's plan would be to meet with any current wrestlers potentially impacted by this news at the appropriate time. When did he plan to do that? Was it Today, Thursday or maybe never if the transfer didn't work out.

If Cael has not already met with them then the leaking of this information potentially makes Cael a hypocrite in the eyes of his wrestlers. That gets back to trust and integrity. It's a 2 way street. If the wrestlers heard the news from a leak posted on this sight then Cael is in damage control mode today.

I don't know where the leak started but I will bet it is from a source very close to the potential transfer. If that proves to be the case
what else will this person leak in the future? Is it worth the risk?

You may not think it is important but I guarantee that Cael, the coaches, wrestlers and families all think it is a big deal. There are many "issues" and personal situations that occur through the course of a season. Again, it is all about balancing risk vs reward. Do you want to add someone into the mix that can't be trusted? I wouldn't.

In this case, if the source can be linked to the potential transfer, I would stop the process immediately. Just balancing the pros vs cons.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Most if not all of your comments are from the "fans" perspective and not for what is best for the program and the current wrestlers.

Any leader of a high performing organization relies on the trust and integrity of everyone who holds and/or has access to confidential information. Cael and the PSU wrestling team certainly have that requirement in place.

I'm sure part of Cael's plan would be to meet with any current wrestlers potentially impacted by this news at the appropriate time. When did he plan to do that? Was it Today, Thursday or maybe never if the transfer didn't work out.

If Cael has not already met with them then the leaking of this information potentially makes Cael a hypocrite in the eyes of his wrestlers. That gets back to trust and integrity. It's a 2 way street. If the wrestlers heard the news from a leak posted on this sight then Cael is in damage control mode today.

I don't know where the leak started but I will bet it is from a source very close to the potential transfer. If that proves to be the case

You may not think it is important but I guarantee that Cael, the coaches, wrestlers and families all think it is a big deal. There are many "issues" and personal situations that occur through the course of a season. Again, it is all about balancing risk vs reward. Do you want to add someone into the mix that can't be trusted? I wouldn't.

In this case, if the source can be linked to the potential transfer, I would stop the process immediately. Just balancing the pros vs cons.
Nah

Needanap, I must respectfully say, I disagree and think your point blows things out of proportion far greater than something that is very simple.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU

excellent post. I honestly don't know why some believe Cael would just shrug at this. It IS a trust issue.

excellent post. I honestly don't know why some believe Cael would just shrug at this. It IS a trust issue.

It may or may not be a trust issue. We can't state something absolutely for information we don't have. There is a heck of a lot of assumptions going on here with regards to why it's a negative that this information is out there. It's not hard for information to get leaked and it very well may not have been the wrestler or someone even close to him.

He's a Pennsylvania kid, it's not hard to see how rumors of a PA kid transferring to Penn State University can start. Hell, people were spreading rumors that Gavin Teasdale was wavering on his Iowa commitment and possibly looking to PSU, did that stop our recruitment of him? No, it's preposterous to assume all intensely negative scenarios with regards to this situation to be accurate.

It may or may not be a trust issue. We can't state something absolutely for information we don't have. There is a heck of a lot of assumptions going on here with regards to why it's a negative that this information is out there. It's not hard for information to get leaked and it very well may not have been the wrestler or someone even close to him.

He's a Pennsylvania kid, it's not hard to see how rumors of a PA kid transferring to Penn State University can start. Hell, people were spreading rumors that Gavin Teasdale was wavering on his Iowa commitment and possibly looking to PSU, did that stop our recruitment of him? No, it's preposterous to assume all intensely negative scenarios with regards to this situation to be accurate.
If I was a manager looking to bring someone in to replace a staff member, I'd be more than a little miffed if that got out. I'd start by figuring out who knew of my desire and their track record. Cael's staff is tight knit. They don't give hints like in the OP. <He's a six year guy, two time PA champ, 133, etc, etc>. With that much info, why not just say his name for heavens sake. That isn't the style of this staff. So the only other place to look is at the candidate. It's pretty obvious that he told a friend who told a friend at CMU that he was being courted (maybe!) by PSU. So maybe Cael forgives him and signs him anyway because it's only a one year gig. However, maybe Cael, who doesn't really need this guy at 133 to win a title, cuts him loose to set an example for everyone that mums the word is important to him and the program. That's the calculus.

Reactions: purescurve
If I was a manager looking to bring someone in to replace a staff member, I'd be more than a little miffed if that got out. I'd start by figuring out who knew of my desire and their track record. Cael's staff is tight knit. They don't give hints like in the OP. <He's a six year guy, two time PA champ, 133, etc, etc>. With that much info, why not just say his name for heavens sake. That isn't the style of this staff. So the only other place to look is at the candidate. It's pretty obvious that he told a friend who told a friend at CMU that he was being courted (maybe!) by PSU. So maybe Cael forgives him and signs him anyway because it's only a one year gig. However, maybe Cael, who doesn't really need this guy at 133 to win a title, cuts him loose to set an example for everyone that mums the word is important to him and the program. That's the calculus.

So, I get this whole trust issue thing but still see it as blown way out of proportion. However, you do realize that when recruiting someone, coaches aren't just going to the athletes, they talk to other people. That's easily how word could have traveled, it may not be the athlete at all.

This seems like the prime example for making a mountain of a molehill.

Reactions: psualt
http://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/corey_keener_896337.html

12175032.jpeg

Class: Senior
Hometown: Schuylkill Haven, Pa.
High School: Blue Mountain
Weight: 133
Major:
Physical Education (3.29 GPA)

2015-16: Named Academic All-MAC and to the National Wrestling Coaches Association All-Academic Team … finished second at 133 lbs. at the MAC Championships … had a 19-12 overall record at 133 lbs., including a 6-2 mark in MAC duals … placed second at the Michigan State Open (11/15) and the Reno Tournament of Champions (12/20) … won four consecutive matches in early February, including three versus MAC opponents, by a combined margin of 43-8 … fell 3-1 in sudden victory in the MAC Championship 133-lb. title match … went 1-2 at the NCAA Championships (3/17-3/18).

2013-14: Finished the season with a 19-14 record ... went 4-1 and finished second in 125-open division at MSU Open (11/9) ... upset No. 12 Jade Rauser (Utah Valley) by decision, 8-4 (11/15) ... defeated No. 7 Anthony Kraisser (UNC) at the Northeast Duals by decision, 8-7 (11/30) ... defeated Kevon Powell (Ohio) 3-1 in sudden victory to secure the conference win for the Chippewas (1/17) ... Defeated Alfredo Grey (Kent St.) 8-3 (1/26) ... went 2-2 to finish fourth at the MAC Championships, earning a bid to the NCAA Championships ... went 0-2 at the NCAAA Championships (3/20).

2012-13: Redshirt ... competed at the 2013 FILA Junior Freestyle Nationals at 60kg ... competed at the 2013 ASICS University Nationals at 60kg.

High School: No. 19 126-pound recruit in the country by InterMat ... four-time Schuylkill league champion, four-time District 11 Class AA and four-time Northeast Regional Class AAA champion...

won back-to-back Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association AAA state championships, claiming the

126-pound title as a senior and
119-pound crown as a junior ...

finished runner-up at 112 pounds aa a sophomore and was fifth as a freshman
... only student-athlete in high school's history to place four times at state championships ... holds Pennsylvania District II career win record with 190 victories ...

two-time USA National Champion in both freestyle and Greco-Roman ...

named a 126-pound All-American by InterMat.
http://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/corey_keener_896337.html
I was hoping for some details

Reactions: T J
Let's repeat the fact that this was not premium information. If this was a potential transfer to Lock Haven, I highly doubt the commotion occurs.

I think if Lee redshirts, it will only be because he can't beat Cortez out for the 141 spot. The comments Cael made in that statecollege.com story a few weeks back made it seem as though he's expecting Lee to be a legitimate threat to win the starting spot:

"Looking ahead, Penn State is the odds-on favorite to make it a three-peat in Cleveland in March 2018. The Nittany Lions return 142 of the 146.5 points they scored in St. Louis. The only graduating senior in the starting lineup is 141-pounder Jimmy Gulibon.

"Blue-chip recruit Nick Lee from Evansville, Ind., was thought to be the heir apparent at 141. Sanderson, though, said he’s one of two candidates.

“'I think we’ll wrestle our best team. That would be our plan. Nick Lee, he’ll be ready to go. I mean Nick Lee, he’s going to be a handful. Cortez also has been talking about going 141, which would probably be better for him as well,' he said. 'So 133, I think, is the weight class that is the biggest question mark right now for next year.'

"Sanderson said Lee chose to forego his senior season, finish high school online and move to State College to train with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club.

“'He’s been able to train and I think it’s been great for him. He’s been able to train with our senior level guys and when our college kids are in there. I mean, it’s freestyle, but we’ll get him in here for summer school and put the folk-style emphasis on things a little bit more. He’ll be ready to roll,' he said."

It's funny you mention that article - I immediately thought of those exact same quotes in that article which people were surprised by due to what it implied @33.....but clearly Cael had some "inside information, and knew more than we did, in that regard - go figure! :D

Like you, I'm hearing quite a bit of a "Mark Hall" this year type situation with Lee in regards to Cael's comments....IOW, they aren't going to waste a year of Lee's eligibility, but if he is ready to go and wrestling him is not going to waste a year of his eligibility (i.e., he's capable of going deep at B1Gs and Nationals), then they'll end up wrestling Lee (i.e., Cortez is going to need to beat him on the mat, which is not going to be an easy task).

In any event, you can tell Cael & Staff are intrigued by Keener or they wouldn't have invested this much time and effort in the situation imho -- Cael has proven to be a pretty astute judge of talent and upside (i.e., "ceiling") in regards this type of situation, so that alone I find very intriguing. No way on earth Cael & Co. go through all the effort of recruiting and getting a guy on-board for one year of eligibility if they don't think there is a lot of "upside" to the situation imho, but maybe that's just me and my "optimistic" side talking.....but that is what I believe - I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Reactions: purescurve
There's a MASSIVE amount of conjecture here.

About two weeks before kickoff of the Rose Bowl, a poster came on here and posted that two PSU starters would be ineligible for the game. He did not specify, but cited inside sources, similar to this poster.

He was slammed unmercifully, and he was correct.

This isn't the world of the NSA or some top level research facility/project where everybody is sworn to secrecy. This is college athletics and the world of college athletics could not exist, let alone prosper in a vacuum.

Getting all worked up in a negative mannor over rumors of who may or not be coming to dinner in Happy Valley's wrestling mecca is in my opinion silly.

This isn't the world of the NSA or some top level research facility/project where everybody is sworn to secrecy. This is college athletics and the world of college athletics could not exist, let alone prosper in a vacuum.

Getting all worked up in a negative mannor over rumors of who may or not be coming to dinner in Happy Valley's wrestling mecca is in my opinion silly.

Agree. The original poster said his source was from CMU. Are we to believe Cael now feels compelled to send a team of investigators to Mr. pleasant, MI to look into the "leak"?? I can just see the CMU staff, the current and past wrestlers, parents and anyone connected to the program scrambling to "cooperate".

Personally, I feel it's far more harmful for Willie to spread rumors from "unnamed sources" that RBY was no longer considering PSU, yet I don't recall posters getting worked up over his Tweet.

57313668.jpg

Last edited:
Surely this board understands how football recruiting goes , surprise visits , leaks from close to the program / recruit. It is just now hitting wrestling. I suggest embrace it. It's 2017. Wrestling is just getting up to speed with football and basketball

I have heard from very reliable source inside that there is a possibility of a 133 Lb. 6th Year Senior transferring to Penn State for his Last Year. This young man is a three time National Qualifier. He will be on campus this weekend. I can not release his name just in case it does not work out, but I will give some hints he is a two time PA state champion. He is getting a sixth year due to a medical red shirt. From what i have been told it is pretty much a done deal!

Kudos to Chitty66 for being the 1st to be aware of this. I would have been happier to see less details in a heads-up post, but acknowledge that it's tough to find that perfect balance between too much specifics and not enough info.

Reactions: PSU Mike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT