ADVERTISEMENT

Big boy move by Franklin

I know we all have our worries that Franklin, and not the litany of OCs, is the problem. But at the very least this was a smart CEO move. The fan base is at an all-time fever pitch while the program is seemingly on the cusp of turning the corner. It could VERY easily lose that edge this off-season with a few devastating transfers (think Allen, Singleton, or even #15).

Nothing Yurcich could do would improve that this off-season. Could he lure in a solid OL or WR or two…? Probably. But the offense needs MORE than that…and then we’re still left with a decent not good OC.

This is what big time programs do. They don’t accept mediocrity. Hiring Yurcich was an upgrade from Rahne and then Ciarrocco…but he didn’t produce. So now we need another upgrade. And with that “hope” and hype will extend our window on this Allar/Singleton/Allen window on offensive potential.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes with Yurcich…but this looks like a swift and decisive move by Franklin that communicates that 10-2 is not good enough at Penn State. And that should keep the key pieces of the offense around for another year and hopefully it’ll be a pro style coordinator which will accentuate the skills of Allar and then Grunk in 2 or 3 years.
The person who really needed to be fired was the person who hired Yurcich.

Reactions: aworsnup and Grass
I'm sorry--they lost the last two weeks to Michigan State and Maryland. Do we want to discuss how bad those two teams are right now? Their best win is Northwestern or Illinois. 5-5 in the Big West is something literally everyone can achieve just by showing up. That's how bad the west is.

For the record--Nebraska lost AT HOME to Maryland
Hmm...I seem to recall PSU losing to TEMPLE 27-10 - with Hackenberg sacked 10 times. But Franklin had nothing to do with that, right?

Not going to disagree with the idea that JF is the thread behind the issues. However, every time I read these “he must go” storylines I am left wondering to be replaced by who? Who is missing in this formula to be the next Saban? Very very very few can pull that off and it’s an expensive thing to switch it up all the time to try to find the solution. As a fiduciary to the school, the BoT need to ask about the financial payoff scenarios to each alternative but one has to have viable alternatives. Who are they and with what probabilities and timelines?

To be fair, anyone coming in has a BIG advantage next year with competing for 12 slots instead of four.
We could start by hiring someone who can do math in his head.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
There is absolutely nothing in his college coaching resume’ to suggest that Rhule would be an upgrade over Franklin. Can someone point out anything from Baylor to suggest that he is somehow beating OSU and UM each year at PSU? I just don’t see anything there to suggest that.
Well, he beat Penn State when he was at Temple. That's unprecedented. So yeah, there's that. I don't care if there were sanctions or anything else. We were no worse than 8-4 under B'Ob, who took the brunt of the sanctions. Franklin was 7-6 twice before the 2016 Ohio State fluke. Temple's program was dropped from its conference and almost dropped to FCS in the Bobby Wallace days.

This is the second time in Franklin's career when I thought he overreacted to a heartbreaking loss. The first was when PSU lost at home to Ohio State in 2018 and he went on that "great vs elite" rant.

I think there must be more to it (either there were disagreements between the two men, or else the AD stepped in and indicated that some visible step had to be taken). I'm sad to see this happen.

I think the coach and the fans should keep their cool about this - yes, another heartbreaker, but everything changes next season with B1G expansion and playoff expansion.

Reactions: Obliviax
Well, he beat Penn State when he was at Temple. That's unprecedented. So yeah, there's that. I don't care if there were sanctions or anything else. We were no worse than 8-4 under B'Ob, who took the brunt of the sanctions. Franklin was 7-6 twice before the 2016 Ohio State fluke. Temple's program was dropped from its conference and almost dropped to FCS in the Bobby Wallace days.
Subtract the covid years and the sanction years and we know Franklin is a consistent 10-11 win coach. He is no worse and probably a bit better than Joe between 1995-2011. I thought Franklin called a terrible UM game and it eroded my confidence in him but to replace him you must go homerun level hire like an Urban Meyer. Otherwise the risk benefit calc does not support a Rhule level coach.

Subtract the covid years and the sanction years and we know Franklin is a consistent 10-11 win coach. He is no worse and probably a bit better than Joe between 1995-2011. I thought Franklin called a terrible UM game and it eroded my confidence in him but to replace him you must go homerun level hire like an Urban Meyer. Otherwise the risk benefit calc does not support a Rhule level coach.
I agree. And when you look at the coaches that have dominated the B1G, they include Tressel (fired after kids were selling stuff to get tattoos), Meyer (covered up spousal abuse for a staffer) and now Harbaugh (who is coaching a UM team that has had FOUR coaching suspensions this year, alone).

We can hire the best OC in the country, but without a huge upgrade in the talent of our WR's what will change. Lambert-Smith is pedestrian at best, and he is considered our #1. OSU recruits WR's each year are ranked between #1 -10; Harrison was the exception since he was ranked around #17 which was insane. The same with their QB recruiting that gives them from #1 - #3 every year. Our WR's are ranked #50 - #100. How are we supposed to compete against that talent.

Get those WR's to quit running straight down the sidelines with the UM CB glued to them with no chance for a reception. Remember when Goodwin and Blacknall would break off the route and come across the middle for some spectacular catches which were game changers.

Also. do something different on 1st down rather then Singleton running between the LG and LT for 5 yards which is fine. Then on 2nd down then run Singleton between the RG and RT for "no gain." My god, we aren't throwing any screens/slants, so Allar is stuck with pressure in his face on 3rd down which usually turns into a 4th down punt.

We did run the ball fairly well at times vs UM, but without being able to sustain a drive with the passing game helping out, we are so predictable. 3 YL first down and we can't get in the end zone!

You feel wounded?

Did you watch all the games...any other than OSU and UM? The handcuffs Yurcich put on Allar in making him play dink and dunk with a fear based goal never throwing an interception was absurd. It was a wasted year of development. What top level qb doesn't throw a int from time to time.

Singleton with his speed and power... Slow him down with a delayed hand off RPO that looks more like a waltz than football.

All you Johnny one notes focus on are the bonehead 4th and short calls at the wrong time and place. I agree those are horrible and have to go but even without those idiotic calls WTH did Yurcich do as OC and QB coach do to develop and use his best assets? Development under his leadership was measurable to the left side of zero.

I think you should ask everyone of the other PSU coaches if they lobbied for Yurcich to go? Unanimous is the word that would come to the fore.
You have totally missed the point. Franklin should be out. I never said Yurcich was good. Anyone who doesn't think Franklin is ultimately responsible has no ability to analyze this situation.

Reactions: Grass and MacNit2.0
I also feel the next few weeks will be super interesting. Do you think that Seider could be a serious candidate? I know the two games are not great barometers of his ability, but if Allar looks completely different and more confident under Seider and the offense is humming, perhaps he is a consideration.…
The problem with Seider is he never ran an offense to my knowledge. Again, ten years ago…or in the Paterno era…you could advance an internal guy, give him some time to grow, and hope it works out.

Franklin doesn’t have that time and the CFB pressure cooker is higher than ever. As you can see from the fringe “fire Franklin” crowd, Franklin needs his next OC to be a talented and viable fix for our offensive woes. Kinda like a Manny Diaz hire on the other side of the ball.

The problem with Seider is he never ran an offense to my knowledge. Again, ten years ago…or in the Paterno era…you could advance an internal guy, give him some time to grow, and hope it works out.

Franklin doesn’t have that time and the CFB pressure cooker is higher than ever. As you can see from the fringe “fire Franklin” crowd, Franklin needs his next OC to be a talented and viable fix for our offensive woes. Kinda like a Manny Diaz hire on the other side of the ball.
Agreed. And it is less and less common for a team to play with a pocket passer. The new coach needs to come in with a plan. I just don't see how the slow-developing offense can be successful when the only run option is to the single running back. Defenses and DCs aren't stupid. You key on the RB, if the QB pulls the ball, its going to be a pass.

This is the second time in Franklin's career when I thought he overreacted to a heartbreaking loss. The first was when PSU lost at home to Ohio State in 2018 and he went on that "great vs elite" rant.

I think there must be more to it (either there were disagreements between the two men, or else the AD stepped in and indicated that some visible step had to be taken). I'm sad to see this happen.

I think the coach and the fans should keep their cool about this - yes, another heartbreaker, but everything changes next season with B1G expansion and playoff expansion.
Disagree. This isn’t an overreaction. It’s appropriate for our desire to be an elite program and to take a step up on offense. Joe would have stuck with Yurcich for an entire career and told us all we were just one player away or one play away (until he put his son in the booth next to Yurcich and told Mike to listen to Jay).

Great move and I trust Franklin to get a great pro style OC who can be the “head coach” of the offense.

(And if the program stays in neutral or regresses with the next guy, then Franklin might really be on the hot seat.)

I know we all have our worries that Franklin, and not the litany of OCs, is the problem. But at the very least this was a smart CEO move. The fan base is at an all-time fever pitch while the program is seemingly on the cusp of turning the corner. It could VERY easily lose that edge this off-season with a few devastating transfers (think Allen, Singleton, or even #15).

Nothing Yurcich could do would improve that this off-season. Could he lure in a solid OL or WR or two…? Probably. But the offense needs MORE than that…and then we’re still left with a decent not good OC.

This is what big time programs do. They don’t accept mediocrity. Hiring Yurcich was an upgrade from Rahne and then Ciarrocco…but he didn’t produce. So now we need another upgrade. And with that “hope” and hype will extend our window on this Allar/Singleton/Allen window on offensive potential.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes with Yurcich…but this looks like a swift and decisive move by Franklin that communicates that 10-2 is not good enough at Penn State. And that should keep the key pieces of the offense around for another year and hopefully it’ll be a pro style coordinator which will accentuate the skills of Allar and then Grunk in 2 or

Link
Sorry if already posted, but Klatt makes some good points - start at 13:13

Reactions: Grass and KCLion
Disagree. This isn’t an overreaction. It’s appropriate for our desire to be an elite program and to take a step up on offense. Joe would have stuck with Yurcich for an entire career and told us all we were just one player away or one play away (until he put his son in the booth next to Yurcich and told Mike to listen to Jay).

Great move and I trust Franklin to get a great pro style OC who can be the “head coach” of the offense.

(And if the program stays in neutral or regresses with the next guy, then Franklin might really be on the hot seat.)
The problem with hiring a pro style OC, is how likely is Franklin to keep getting high level pro style QBs. He needs an OC who is flexible enough to mold an offense to Allars strengths. Then adjust accordingly to whomever the next QB is after Allar leaves.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes with Yurcich…but this looks like a swift and decisive move by Franklin that communicates that 10-2 is not good enough at Penn State. And that should keep the key pieces of the offense around for another year and hopefully it’ll be a pro style coordinator which will accentuate the skills of Allar and then Grunk in 2 or 3 years.
I wouldn't exactly call it a big boy move. Looks more like a scapegoat move to me. When Franklin takes responsibility for something, anything, you might get me
back from wanting him gone. I'm sure lots of people have tried to look the other way from all the bizarre calls, myself included but never taking any responsibility is what infuriates me the most.

Reactions: Petch and Grass
totally agree. USC just fired their DC and tOSU's Day fired his DC last year. Michigan has gone through several coordinators in recent years.

My question is, what can the new OC change this season? He is stuck with what he has with the exception of play calling and personnel to play in different packages. I am not sure this is the right offense for Allar. And if not Allar, who?

At least the next two weeks will be interesting.
Franklin will now be desperate enough to fork out big dollars for WRs and OL. Biggest concern is transfers.

Link
Sorry if already posted, but Klatt makes some good points - start at 13:13

Hard to argue with Klatt. There's 4 responsibilities for an OC. 1. install a system 2. gameplan 3. call plays 4. make adjustments.

I've harped on this all year, but I hate a system where every player is looking at the sideline for what seems like an eternity only to line up with <10 seconds on the clock and now they're rushing to make line calls, motions, audibles, etc. There's no rhythm and pace.

Then you come up with game plan where the very first play is an inside zone read to Singleton.

This offense oddly looks so much like the Steelers under Canada. It's obviously too late for this season, but I hope to god they hire someone where they line up with around 20 sec. left on the play clock. And snap it b4 there's <5 sec. Watching them right now is like going to the grocery store and the adult living facility bus just dropped off bunch of senior citizens who all go to the self checkout.

Reactions: Grass
The problem with hiring a pro style OC, is how likely is Franklin to keep getting high level pro style QBs. He needs an OC who is flexible enough to mold an offense to Allars strengths. Then adjust accordingly to whomever the next QB is after Allar leaves.
We already have a top 10 Qb commit in the 2024 class. Might be a bit more mobile than Drew but he’s a talented passer.

OSU had a string of run-first QBs (and did well with them 2004-2018) but then they went for pass-first kids and have adapted the offense to the new identity.

We already have a top 10 Qb commit in the 2024 class. Might be a bit more mobile than Drew but he’s a talented passer.

OSU had a string of run-first QBs (and did well with them 2004-2018) but then they went for pass-first kids and have adapted the offense to the new identity.
Ok. I really don't follow recruiting all that closely. Especially with a lot of these guys flipping commitments.

He's better than Joe from those years, Joe never had sanctions and the pandemic silliness. Look up Joe's record in the Big Ten vs OSU and Michigan, I think he was 6-10 vs Michigan and worse against OSU. Then go look at how many northern teams have won National Titles since 2000, hint, it's one and we lost one of our games against them this year.

2/23 years with the last win in 2014. And with NIL money I think I can guess that PSU will never win another national title in my lifetime. When Joe had his first undefeated team in 1968 Pa had 29 electoral votes. We now have 19. In fact from 1968 to 1994 played for the title 4 times, winning two and losing two. The 1978 and 1985 seasons were losses, the 1982 and 1986 were wins.

He was undefeated in 1968, 1969, 1973, 1978, 1985, 1986, and 1994 regular seasons. He was 11-1 in 1971, 1977 but didn't have a national title shot in those years due to a regular season loss and we all know the 4 seasons where PSU won all the games but were denied a title in the vote.

8 years out of 19 seasons they were serious contenders, winning 2 and playing for 4. Yeah, again three season we got hosed. Then it took 8 more years to get and undefeated and untied season. 1991 was close but were were never it it that year with 2 regular season losses.

So if we go to 1987 and onward we had a shot one year, that's it. Two years we were in the mix until Michigan in 2005 and Iowa 2008, However I don't think if 3 runs in 25 season or so is much to brag about. My point is we have not been were most fans seem to think we are at for over a generation.

He's better than Joe from those years, Joe never had sanctions and the pandemic silliness. Look up Joe's record in the Big Ten vs OSU and Michigan, I think he was 6-10 vs Michigan and worse against OSU. Then go look at how many northern teams have won National Titles since 2000, hint, it's one and we lost one of our games against them this year.

2/23 years with the last win in 2014. And with NIL money I think I can guess that PSU will never win another national title in my lifetime. When Joe had his first undefeated team in 1968 Pa had 29 electoral votes. We now have 19. In fact from 1968 to 1994 played for the title 4 times, winning two and losing two. The 1978 and 1985 seasons were losses, the 1982 and 1986 were wins.

He was undefeated in 1968, 1969, 1973, 1978, 1985, 1986, and 1994 regular seasons. He was 11-1 in 1971, 1977 but didn't have a national title shot in those years due to a regular season loss and we all know the 4 seasons where PSU won all the games but were denied a title in the vote.

8 years out of 19 seasons they were serious contenders, winning 2 and playing for 4. Yeah, again three season we got hosed. Then it took 8 more years to get and undefeated and untied season. 1991 was close but were were never it it that year with 2 regular season losses.

So if we go to 1987 and onward we had a shot one year, that's it. Two years we were in the mix until Michigan in 2005 and Iowa 2008, However I don't think if 3 runs in 25 season or so is much to brag about. My point is we have not been were most fans seem to think we are at for over a generation.

Joe kind of lost it after the 1999 season.

While Ohio State and Michigan, plus others, decided to be football factories Joe continued to envision a "STUDENT" athlete. He wanted players who enjoyed an immersive college atmosphere and prepared them for post-football lives inside or outside the game. That left the door open to schools that simply continued to pamper five-star players and get them on campus while fixing their grades.

With the incredible money that now pervades college ball, that war has been lost. Remember, those were the days when cable TV made national games possible, ESPN (and other services) started to erode the three big networks. ND tied up an entire network forcing PSU to leave independence and sign with the B1G. Today I have the ability to watch 50 games on Saturdays not to mention that I can watch college football on Tuesdays, Wednesdays (Ohio U plays C Mich at 6 pm), Fridays and Saturdays. On Sunday, Monday and Thursday, I watch the NFL.

It isn't that Joe couldn't adjust. He didn't want to adjust because he thought it wasn't good for the players.

Reactions: KCLion
Yurcich was supposed to be this great hire. An offensive genius. Was bombs away with Mason Rudolph.

you're right. But a good OC can adjust to the talent. How hard can it be, you block, you run, you throw and catch passes......

I don’t want to run him out of town but:

Mike Vrabel
Mike Elko
Brian Hartline
Matt Campbell
Matt Rhule
Manny Diaz
Eli Drinkwitz
Kalen Deboer

Dan Lanning would be my first choice but only way he probably leaves Oregon is for an SEC job. Rising star.
Right,
Just tack on another $1,100 to each student’s tuition that attend PSU ……
Should be enough to cover James’s buy out.

Rhule is a solid college coach. He inherited a mess from Scott Frost. He immediately improved their defense this year and would be bowl eligible minus the fact that they don’t have a QB. I would not prefer him over Franklin but he is a proven program builder. The fact that he failed in the NFL really means nothing. So did Urban, Spurrier and Holtz and Saban.
👍🏻, yes he is

Yeah, I agree with the population argument. And I would add that with most manufacturing moving down south and even overseas you have less of those tough kids raised by those strong hard nosed role model fathers that worked OT in the factories to make ends meet. That has fallen off the cliff in the northeast U.S. I would further specify that the PA population problem is western PA, which is a shell of its former self and continuing to drop off while Eastern PA (Philly region, Lehigh Valley, Reading to Lancaster, and Harrisburg) remains stable in population and corresponding high school football talent. To win now takes a national approach and fortunately Franklin has done well in terms of expanding our typical recruiting footprint and that needs to continue to expand. Unfortunately you are right that most fans do not have perspective on what the program has been for 25 years, not to mention it nearly received a knockout punch from Sandusky. I do have one difference of opinion that NIL can help level the playing field for PSU but that will take more effort from wealthy PSU alums

So much predictability on these takes.

If you disliked Franklin already, you think Yurcich getting fired was him covering his own ass and you feel that the problems with the team are Franklin not giving the reins to Yurcich and we should still fire Franklin. You willfully ignore that Franklin is probably in the top 10% of coaches, because you demand a coach that is the top 5%, and you think that is somehow an easy thing to find, also ignoring that PSU historically has never been a program that competes at that level (such as OSU, UGA, Bama are now).

If you liked Franklin then you think this is a good move because the offense was clearly struggling and Yurcich called the plays, and we arguably aren't seeing the progress from Allar that we'd like or hoped for. You view this as a sign Franklin is willing to do what it takes to get to a higher level.

If you're objective, you admit you have no damn idea how much of the offensive problems are due to Yurchich or Franklin, because you're not at practice or meetings and there's no damn way you have any idea how much or little of Franklin's influence has been put on Yurcich in the weekly gameplanning and playcalling.

And if you're a PSU traditionalist, you'll name PSU linked coaches like Rhule as a possible replacement head coach even though the problem that most of you have is that Franklin is something like 3-17 vs. the AP top ten, while Rhule is 0-11 vs. the AP top 25 giving no indication he'd be any better.

If you disliked Franklin already, you think Yurcich getting fired was him covering his own ass and you feel that the problems with the team are Franklin not giving the reins to Yurcich and we should still fire Franklin. You willfully ignore that Franklin is probably in the top 10% of coaches, because you demand a coach that is the top 5%, and you think that is somehow an easy thing to find, also ignoring that PSU historically has never been a program that competes at that level (such as OSU, UGA, Bama are now).

If you liked Franklin then you think this is a good move because the offense was clearly struggling and Yurcich called the plays, and we arguably aren't seeing the progress from Allar that we'd like or hoped for. You view this as a sign Franklin is willing to do what it takes to get to a higher level.

If you're objective, you admit you have no damn idea how much of the offensive problems are due to Yurchich or Franklin, because you're not at practice or meetings and there's no damn way you have any idea how much or little of Franklin's influence has been put on Yurcich in the weekly gameplanning and playcalling.

And if you're a PSU traditionalist, you'll name PSU linked coaches like Rhule as a possible replacement head coach even though the problem that most of you have is that Franklin is something like 3-17 vs. the AP top ten, while Rhule is 0-11 vs. the AP top 25 giving no indication he'd be any better.
This pretty true. I think Franklin is covering his own ass but I also don't think he should be fired. He gets 2024 but 2024 is a "playoff or bust" season.

Rhule is Al Golden 2.0. Hard no.

Actually I'd be happy if Franklin stopped doing stupid stuff. For example, going for 2 in the first half. Sadly that's not a singular example. If it was, no big deal. He's shown no evidence that he's learned anything from his bone headed decisions. Just a little progress on the decision front might give me some hope. I don't demand he win big games. I just want to think that there is a chance. All there is now is false hope.

Well, his title would imply that he is a candidate. Assistant Head Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs

first, our offense was good last year. What happened? The only real difference is at QB. And while Allar has struggled at times, our running game hasn't delivered. OL has been "OK" and WRs haven't panned out at all with the exception of KLS.

If the plan was to run the same exact offense with a QB that couldn't run as well that wasn't very smart.

And who knows what went on behind the scenes. Has there been disagreements all year? Did CJF try to step in and right the ship with MY? Was Seider chirping in CJF's ear? Did one of the parents go ballistic (Allar specifically)? Why not wait until the end of the year?

I know nothing but this feels like CJF went to MY and said it wasn't good enough and MY fired back. I was shocked that this happened mid-year. That doesn't feel like a CJF move. Even with MY, we probably win the next two games. We then have a month off until the bowl. We get through early signing period. Why now? Feels like there was an argument.
Breneman says it s a good move!

Actually I'd be happy if Franklin stopped doing stupid stuff. For example, going for 2 in the first half. Sadly that's not a singular example. If it was, no big deal. He's shown no evidence that he's learned anything from his bone headed decisions. Just a little progress on the decision front might give me some hope. I don't demand he win big games. I just want to think that there is a chance. All there is now is false hope.
What in the world made him think/have confidence that Drew could pull off the first down on 4th and 6. I saw nothing that made me think he had the confidence to pull that off.

If you are going to succeed against OSU and UMich you must have physical toughness on OL and DL. JoePa won against those teams and the 1982/1986 championships because of toughness in the DL and OL and especially LB's. Ask Miami and ask Herschel Walker! It is so discouraging to see two great backs who cannot get into the second level and beyond when running. So often they are tackled at the line of scrimmage. That to me is lack of physical toughness and blocking schemes. Also did anyone see slants thrown over the middle or well-executed screen plays? I guess everyone else saw them and I was asleep.
I think if you ask ‘86 Miami, they will probably cite the 7 turnovers as crucial to their 14-10 loss.

What in the world made him think/have confidence that Drew could pull off the first down on 4th and 6. I saw nothing that made me think he had the confidence to pull that off.
Agreed. Kind of makes my point. Way to many examples of bizarre decisions. Why did he think he could get a 2 point conversion when he had multiple attempts from the 3 to get a TD and failed. The examples just keep on piling up.
I'm really tired of sitting in the stands in the 1st quarter with 4th and 2 on the PSU 45 in a 0-0 game against a good team and praying PSU punts.

Reactions: KCLion and Grass
So Allar was handcuffed by MY and JF did nothing about it? Why would you have a metric for Explosive Plays after every game if you as the coach know your 5* QB is being handcuffed?

Not to mention being asked in every post and weekly press conference. How do you just sit there and watch it happen? His smugness and arrogance is sickening. I dislike him way more for his attitude and this impression that he’s hands off when things don’t go well. I wanted to hear him acknowledge today that he is the one at fault for his stupid 2 point calls

And if his team is so open and transparent with each other then how come he didn’t address the supposedly toxic approach that MY had with the players. It wasn’t just this week.

I also feel the next few weeks will be super interesting. Do you think that Seider could be a serious candidate? I know the two games are not great barometers of his ability, but if Allar looks completely different and more confident under Seider and the offense is humming, perhaps he is a consideration.…
I think so, yes. It seems like he is very important to the staff for both coaching and recruiting. giving him the oc role vs Rutgers and MSU is an easy opportunity to look really good and land the job for next year

This is a "CEO" who should be canned by the Board of Directors as opposed to the CEO canning the VP of Marketing every two years. This big boy move is an example of a smooth politician who looks to cover his a$$ but actually never delivers results that really matter.

Because of the absurdity and incompetence of people like Sandy Barbour we are stuck with Franklin for another 4-5 years. No matter what kind of lipstick you try to put on this pig it still is an ugly pig. Clearly the problem rests with Franklin. I'm not saying Yurcich should not have been ousted but the common denominator through this sh## show run of 4-16 versus Ohio State and Michigan is Franklin. He is ultimately accountable and is incapable of delivering winning results versus elite competition despite a roster loaded with elite players.

So dress it up like some "big boy" move and give him an atta boy but that does not change the facts that he simply is never getting Penn State to an elite level. I cannot believe people cannot see that. We have to address the core problem or we will continue to see this bad movie of a team being bullied on both lines of scrimmage while having a hapless, clueless offensive game plan with no imagination or innovation.
Bingo!

I don’t want to run him out of town but:

Mike Vrabel
Mike Elko
Brian Hartline
Matt Campbell
Matt Rhule
Manny Diaz
Eli Drinkwitz
Kalen Deboer

Dan Lanning would be my first choice but only way he probably leaves Oregon is for an SEC job. Rising star.
Great names, but that is all they are.... Many of these guys have gigs that are far more appealing than Penn State OC position.... PSU fans need to understand State College isn't for everyone and many of these coaches may have no interest. Other than Diaz, good bet many of them will go to sleep tonight without a single thought of Penn State, get up and do it again tomorrow.

Great names, but that is all they are.... Many of these guys have gigs that are far more appealing than Penn State OC position.... PSU fans need to understand State College isn't for everyone and many of these coaches may have no interest. Other than Diaz, good bet many of them will go to sleep tonight without a single thought of Penn State, get up and do it again tomorrow.
He was listing them to replace Franklin not as the OC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT