ADVERTISEMENT

BIG champ game filled with contact on WRs by DBs

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
I know the announcers are talking about the fact that Cook was maybe 50% (cause Dantonio was stupid to play him v PSU). clearly Cook was not able to pass downfield, and Iowa knew it. I think the bigger issue was the level of downfield content allowed by DBs during passing downs. this kept the game close and low scoring.

If you want to see a lot of downfield contact, watch U Mich's defense play, including against PSU. Lots of downfield contact on every pass play, and with the ball in the air. Harbaugh obviously exploited the B10's reluctance to call penalties on this type of play, probably recognized it on film, which helped UM's defense be so successful. In their press man coverage scheme, they man up on receivers and practically mug them all the way down the field, which frees up additional manpower to run blitz or pass rush. They did this against Penn State with great success, nearly bringing 7-8 defenders to the LOS on run downs or 5 or more pass rushers on passing downs. They simply outmanned the PSU offense at the point of attack. With PSU's OL, that means game over.

If you want to see a lot of downfield contact, watch U Mich's defense play, including against PSU. Lots of downfield contact on every pass play, and with the ball in the air. Harbaugh obviously exploited the B10's reluctance to call penalties on this type of play, probably recognized it on film, which helped UM's defense be so successful. In their press man coverage scheme, they man up on receivers and practically mug them all the way down the field, which frees up additional manpower to run blitz or pass rush. They did this against Penn State with great success, nearly bringing 7-8 defenders to the LOS on run downs or 5 or more pass rushers on passing downs. They simply outmanned the PSU offense at the point of attack. With PSU's OL, that means game over.

Michigan did it all season long, just daring the refs to call it every time. Do it often enough and you will get away with much of it.

That is just football nowadays. It's just the evolution of the game in NFL and college. The days when DBs weren't allowed to touch receivers are long gone. The great DBs are always using their hands, and the only counter is to have big physical receivers who use their hands and bodies.

If you watch how Chris Godwin plays, he waits for contact from the DB and then uses it to push off and gain separation. Call it dirty if you want, but that is the future. You basically get to push off for free as long as the DB has initiated contact. That isn't in the rule book but that is how it's called. And the receiver still has a big advantage because he knows the pattern and when the ball is arriving.

The future of the passing game is basically a wrestling match as the ball is delivered downfield. Raw speed is less important now -- what matters is leaping ability and strength and ability to adjust to the ball and position your body to protect yourself as you catch. Receivers like Alan Robinson thrive in this kind of a game.

Didn't help them vs. OSU, tho.

It's the same way in bball. The B1G refs tend to allow a more physical style of play. I've got no problem with it.

Didn't help them vs. OSU, tho.

It's the same way in bball. The B1G refs tend to allow a more physical style of play. I've got no problem with it.

This year in CBB the refs are making an effort to limit the physical style, especially the high ball screen " shuffle". If the same applies in March, only time will tell.

I am not sure I see the PSU DBs doing this nearly as much, even though we have some physical players. in fact, we had several critical PI/holding calls on our DBs that were very close.

in our game v UMich I saw a lot of this, and especially by UM #5. Harbaugh wanted push off called on Hamilton on one penalty called on UM.

personally, I like the rules called close - so that it can be more consistent and we can see talent differences. this is a great equalizer. I think NW does this as a routine. if you have guys like Polk and Thomkins, you can send them deep, and the DBs have to give space. The letting the WRs get mugged is just another reason to have the dual threat QBs. keeps the DEF more cautious and WRs have longer to get open.

That is just football nowadays. It's just the evolution of the game in NFL and college. The days when DBs weren't allowed to touch receivers are long gone.

The NFL is called completely different than college (due to the different rules). In the NFL, contact downfield is called more now that ever before. I personally like the college rules a lot better in this regard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT