ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Division Realignment

Harbaughsleepovers

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2016
Apparently there is a lot of discussion going on and it needs to happen for a lot of reasons. That the 3 most powerful programs in the league have no ability to play each other in a championship game means there is no real championship and the current division alignment makes it nearly imossible for programs like Maryland and Rutgers to gain any footing which drags down the league.

To me the program with the most potential that is being squandered is Maryland. Maryland is a huge market and keeping them in a division with the 3 league super powers renders them irrelevant. Giving them an easier road to the top gives that program a chance to thrive, a chance to acquire a better coach. That job is a grave yard for a coach and so is Rutgers.

I would put Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue and Illinois in one division.

I would put Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana and Northwestern in the other division.

I think Scott Frost will do well at Nebraska and this is a sexier division for them and helps them recruit the east better where they have had success.

Maryland becomes a way more attractive job with a more realistic shot at competing which will help them attract coaches.

Michigan State can break away from Michigan, you can make that a protected game every year.

Rutgers has access to recruits and this makes this job more attractive.

These divisions give Penn State a chance to create some real rivalries with Nebraska and Maryland over time as these games will really mean something which helps the Big Ten. The Big Ten tried to make a rivalry with Michigan State and that’s protected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News