ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Network - are you kidding me?

PSUFBFAN

May 29, 2001
Currently showing a hour long special titled - "Big Ten Elite" - a show about the 1994 Nebraska Cornhuskers and their perfect season.

Not only wasn't Nebraska part of the Big 10 in 1994, that is a slap in the face to the true perfect 1994 Big Ten team.

I guess PSU can claim Big Ten football championships in 1982 and 1986.

When is everyone going to learn that Penn State is not in the parochial Midwest and therefore, in the Big ten's eyes, we are an adjunct member only.

Originally posted by PSUFBFAN:
Currently showing a hour long special titled - "Big Ten Elite" - a show about the 1994 Nebraska Cornhuskers and their perfect season.

Not only wasn't Nebraska part of the Big 10 in 1994, that is a slap in the face to the true perfect 1994 Big Ten team.

Lighten up. Not everything is personal. Guess what Nebraska did have a perfect season. What wrong with celebrating that? Sometimes I think Penn State fans are the largest group of whiners and complainers. Seriously it a TV show on elite teams from B1G schools past.
This post was edited on 4/7 5:03 PM by PSU_Nut

Re: They have been showing the 1986 PSU Team under...

...the Big 10 Elite series for a couple years now so they are consistent.

BTN HYPE machine has no limits. Rutgers played in the first ever National Championship game and won. The following year they appeared again but lost when the Ivy league refs changed the rules. This must be when the B1G decided to hire their own officials.....and the rest is history!

Originally posted by PSU_Nut:

Originally posted by PSUFBFAN:

Lighten up. Not everything is personal. Guess what Nebraska did have a perfect season. What wrong with celebrating that? Sometimes I think Penn State fans are the largest group of whiners and complainers. Seriously it a TV show on elite teams from B1G schools past.

This post was edited on 4/7 5:03 PM by PSU_Nut
Copy that!

Re: 1994 when they all screwed Joe and PSU out of a MNC

Originally posted by Southeastern PA Buck:
That team would have crushed Neb by 30 points and every other team that has won a national championship since 1994 by at least two TD's. They were the greatest team ever assembled
I'm not so sure about all of them. Certainly I believe we would have beaten Nebraska but not by 30. After all, we won 3 games in the BigTen that year by 7 points or less. Still, I think we were the best team in 1994 and we were screwed out of a National Championship.

Ah no. Would have been a great game and not sure who would have won. Two great teams, but no doubt Penn State got shafted by the polls and in particular by the Big Ten voters. Its a shame the Big Ten was still committed to the Rose Bowl and Penn State and Nebraska never played for the national championship game. Without a doubt the two best teams and would likely have been a classic.

This post was edited on 4/7 10:49 PM by GulfCoastLion

Originally posted by fairgambit:
That team would have crushed Neb by 30 points and every other team that has won a national championship since 1994 by at least two TD's. They were the greatest team ever assembled
I'm not so sure about all of them. Certainly I believe we would have beaten Nebraska but not by 30. After all, we won 3 games in the BigTen that year by 7 points or less. Still, I think we were the best team in 1994 and we were screwed out of a National Championship.
They lost their focus in the Illinois game. UM was never really all that close and IU was a fluke due to third teamers giving up late points. When they focused they were the best that has ever played.

I remember thinking the '94 team was totally unbeatable during that season. I think there were points where they were unbeatable. But I'm not sure they were unbeatable by the time New Year's day rolled around. They may have peaked at some other point in the season -- I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think it's automatic that they would have beaten Nebraska.

They won a "back to back" MNC in 1995. Why wasn't that the team featured in the Elite series given their long winning streak? They still get their special and in a non-disputed year no less. Anyone who doesn't think this was a calculated move with Penn State in mind is likely in the market for some nice oceanfront property near Beaver Stadium.

Originally posted by fairgambit:
They lost their focus in the Illinois game. UM was never really all that close and IU was a fluke due to third teamers giving up late points. When they focused they were the best that has ever played.
The Indiana game doesn't count - we were up by 24 or so, and gave up 2 late touchdowns in the final 2-3 minutes. How we ever dropped out of the #1 spot in Coaches Poll for that game is a huge mystery. Only slightly more confusing then dropping out of the #1 spot in the AP poll after beating Ohio State 63-14.

The Illinois team was the #1 ranked defense in the entire country that year. And we turned the ball over in the first quarter, going down 21-0. That's right, we scored 31 points against the #1 defense in the nation that year, after being down 21-0.

People forget that Michigan had been ranked in the Top 5 earlier in the season. When we faced Michigan, they had just lost to Colorado on a flukey play. (Had that play not occurred, we might have never dropped out of #1, since we would have beaten an undefeated UM team, and Nebraska would have beaten a one-loss Colorado team.) It was the first time we ever played at Ann Arbor, and Michigan, despite their final record, was a pretty good team that year.

Also, with the 1994 team, you have to remember that we were usually up 35-0 by the half, then Joe would sit the starters, give Wally a lot of reps (there was a reason we were still good in 1995-1996) and let the final score look a little more respectable. If we had a less classy coach like Urban Meyer in 1994, we might have won some games by 60 points and shattered every single offensive record EVER.

Originally posted by pnnylion:
Osborne was given his "pity" NC.
What made me even more mad was the end of the 1997 season when Osborne got the number 1 vote in one of the polls because he announced he was retiring so they gave him a going away present. 1994 was maddening but what REALLY pissed me off was 1997 because the tables were turned (except it was Michigan and not us) where Nebraska was now the undefeated team sitting at #2 while UM was ranked #1 in both polls. I remember talking to some Nebraska fans saying "Karma is a bitch isn't it?" Well, TO announced he was going to retire and I believe Michigan is now the only team to be ranked #1 and win their bowl game and drop in the rankings (at least in the one poll).

Originally posted by fortheglory94:
They won a "back to back" MNC in 1995. Why wasn't that the team featured in the Elite series given their long winning streak? They still get their special and in a non-disputed year no less. Anyone who doesn't think this was a calculated move with Penn State in mind is likely in the market for some nice oceanfront property near Beaver Stadium.
Perhaps it was because it was Tom Osborne's first national championship team after just missing many time. It also had drama with Frazier getting hurt. The first NC is more special then the second. Not the entire world revolves around Penn State. Time to take off the tin foil hat. Do you think the producer sit around and say hey this will be good. We can piss off Penn State fans or is it more realistic that they felt like this team had a better story line? You had the 94 team coming off a controversial loss to FSU in the national championship game. They then lose their starting QB and struggle to keep it going and at times had to rely on third string walk on QB. The next year the NC game was expected. They faced little adversity and was ranked 1 or 2 all season. Not as compelling television. Oh that is right I forgot all decision are made on how they can screw Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT