ADVERTISEMENT

BMW Champioships

Yesterday some fans yelled "get in the hole" during back swings. Every time dechambeau missed a put or hit a bad shot, there was always a "good shot Brooks". Im not a huge fan of his, but he catches more shit than anyone. On the 18th tee somebody yelled "Brooksie" at the top of his backswing.
Rory was walking by us after putting out on the 9th. Some jackass literally said "Rory, you look hot, I love you."
The sheer number of "fans" that spoke loudly or were laughing while being close to a shot being played left me shaking my head.
Spot on. It's terrible. I preferred watching golf during the no spectator Covid timeframe.

ESPN is piling on. Apparently, BK had a brief conversation with a fan after the match.

I did notice, however, the announcer said that Cantlay beat the "Bully" right after BK missed his birdie/tying putt. I took that to mean bully in golf terms in that BK overpowers the golf course. But I thought it a poor choice of words, unless it was on purpose.

Nothing about the Bryson DeChambeau experience is easy these days

Halfway up the hill, something happened that made me feel like we've arrived at a miserable place in the never-ending circus that is DeChambeau. A patron waited until DeChambeau had walked by, but was not out of earshot, then sneered from over the rope line, "Great job, Brooksie!" DeChambeau spun around in a rage and began briefly walking in his direction.

"You know what? Get the f--- out!" DeChambeau yelled. He had rage in his eyes.

I'm being dead serious when I say it could have gotten ugly really fast. Maybe not "Malice at the Palace" bad, but in that moment, nothing would've surprised me. A rope line is little more than a polite suggestion when it comes to security at a golf tournament. DeChambeau had been hearing, and ignoring, that kind of taunt all week. But everyone has their breaking point.

Thankfully, DeChambeau paused, angrily motioning for a police officer to handle the heckler, then continued his march up the hill. The entire exchange took less than 10 seconds. The PGA Tour declined comment when asked about the incident by ESPN. But we've been building to something like this all summer. And I don't know what the endgame is.
Thats a great article you linked. It begs the question, "where do you draw the line?" when it comes to fan behavior and heckling.

This is the first tourney I've gone to in about 15 years. I couldn't get over how rude the crowd was in general. Not just the name calling and stupid screams "mashed potatoes" etc, but the lack of manners among fans when you were walking in the crowds. No courtesy, or saying excuse me, walking up and standing right in front of you with no respect for blocking peoples view, people racing to get by you, nudging you like you are in their way. Something has definitely changed. Sad. I guess I"m getting old. Get off my lawn.

I was there. It was electric.

Damn that had to be quite an experience. I actually turned it over when Cantlay hit it into the drink on 17. I thought it was pretty much over. I was shocked when I turned on the Golf Channel and they were in a playoff. Glad I got to see the playoff.

Damn that had to be quite an experience. I actually turned it over when Cantlay hit it into the drink on 17. I thought it was pretty much over. I was shocked when I turned on the Golf Channel and they were in a playoff. Glad I got to see the playoff.
We were watching the action greenside betwn 17 and 18 when Cantlay rinsed it. I looked to my wife and said, "wanna get our of here? It's over". Then Bryson chile dipped the chip and bogeyed. We stayed. Once the playoff started we watched from grandstand on left side of 18 fairway.

I'm not sure TV gives that hole justice. It's intimidating. 460 up hill, water the length on the right, huge traps on the left, and a green with a top shelf. I thought it was over when Cantlay short sided himself on the left.

Cantlay played 26 holes of golf with a guy who out drove him all day probably by avg of 60yds and never let it get to him. He had the better mental game that enabled him to win.

Remember, the elite country clubbers need complete silence as they play their sports (golf & tennis).

We were watching the action greenside betwn 17 and 18 when Cantlay rinsed it. I looked to my wife and said, "wanna get our of here? It's over". Then Bryson chile dipped the chip and bogeyed. We stayed. Once the playoff started we watched from grandstand on left side of 18 fairway.

I'm not sure TV gives that hole justice. It's intimidating. 460 up hill, water the length on the right, huge traps on the left, and a green with a top shelf. I thought it was over when Cantlay short sided himself on the left.

Cantlay played 26 holes of golf with a guy who out drove him all day probably by avg of 60yds and never let it get to him. He had the better mental game that enabled him to win.
Good post. I thought the same thing about Cantlay being mentally tough with the onslaught of titanic BAD drives. Cantlay has a history that has made him a tough competitor. His caddie, in 2016, was killed by a hit and run driver. He missed over two years with a back unjury

I watched the last two holes of the final round and the sudden death playoff. It was dramatic and exciting golf, especially because my friend had a bet on Cantlay to win. 15:1 odds?

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUHarry33
There are always drunken idiots at these things, but on a whole, these golf events are filled with 95%(at least) of fans that wear the proper attire, are totally respectful and conscientious, and treat the game/players with great respect. I went to the northern trust a few weeks ago and this was the case. Name another sport in this country where you will find that? Certainly not at the Beav in 2 weeks.
True enough but the point is the unruliness of fans is growing all over and is now embedded in spectators at pro golf events.

True enough but the point is the unruliness of fans is growing all over and is now embedded in spectators at pro golf events.

Yeah, if you want to have a discussion about the decay of our society rooted in tattooed men without shirts and women wearing thongs, drunk, and screaming in public places, I am happy to engage. I'm 37 years old and see it all over the place, but I assume this is not the conversation you wish to engage and probably not the right board. Golf, still, is somewhat unsullied compared to other sporting/entertainment venues, but I'm sure aspects of our societal decay is seeping into golf events, I won't challenge you on that.

Yeah, if you want to have a discussion about the decay of our society rooted in tattooed men without shirts and women wearing thongs, drunk, and screaming in public places, I am happy to engage. I'm 37 years old and see it all over the place, but I assume this is not the conversation you wish to engage and probably not the right board. Golf, still, is somewhat unsullied compared to other sporting/entertainment venues, but I'm sure aspects of our societal decay is seeping into golf events, I won't challenge you on that.

I'm ok with the thong part.

Reactions: FightOnState
I'm ok with the thong part.

HAHA, fair point. I was in Vegas this weekend and realized many of the women wearing literally thong underwear at the pool...well, let's just say I was not Okay with the thongs. The bigger types seem to prefer them over anybody.

Reactions: Grass
Perhaps Bryson has eyes in the back of his head? I want to like him, I really do. He is changing the game with a unique bold approach, but man he behaves like a douchebag. I don't hate him, but he is becoming harder and harder to like.

Some don't like Spieth for the same reason. He definitely whines a bit, but he also blames himself and was candid about where his game was when things were going bad. And he worked so hard to get back into the top leaders.

I like these guys to show emotion, but be accountable while doing it. Spieth blames himself when he makes bad shots. Bryson blames his driver and argues with the officials about fire ants, and in this case foolishly reprimanded his competitor. Not a good look.

Knowing Cantlay's backstory, he was so easy to pull for yesterday.

ESPN is piling on. Apparently, BK had a brief conversation with a fan after the match.

I did notice, however, the announcer said that Cantlay beat the "Bully" right after BK missed his birdie/tying putt. I took that to mean bully in golf terms in that BK overpowers the golf course. But I thought it a poor choice of words, unless it was on purpose.
Are you piling on further by calling him BK?

HAHA, fair point. I was in Vegas this weekend and realized many of the women wearing literally thong underwear at the pool...well, let's just say I was not Okay with the thongs. The bigger types seem to prefer them over anybody.
And those "bigger types" must never look in mirrors; unless the mirrors are from Kennywood.

For not having been to a tourney in so long, you certainly got a treat as your first one back. I've been greenside at playoffs that have just slogged along and you just wish someone would rinse it or yak a putt so we could mercifully be done (the 6-man Wyndham playoff, while unique, definitely fell into this category) but yesterday's was electric. So many ups and downs and punches and counterpunches. It was great to be that close to the action and seeing the competition. But I'll certainly be happy to never have to climb those hills of Caves Valley again. Wasn't so bad yesterday with the clouds and lower temps but Wednesday-Thursday was tough with that heat.

As for the Bryson stuff, I was about 30 feet behind him when he trudged up the hill toward the parking lot. I heard some fan say something and Bryson react but I couldn't discern what was said on either end. The ESPN writer was right there and stopped to talk to the fan so I'm confident he got it right. This business of the fans calling him Brooksie has to freakin stop. And Koepka didn't do any favors by encouraging it with the beer promotion at the Memorial. With as pissed off as Bryson was after that playoff, he could have easily snapped and headed for the rope line to confront the fan and then we'd have really had a story.

I suspect 99% of everyone thought it was over at that point…..I thought the one stroke lead was certainly going to go to two strokes and just hoping it wasn’t going to go to three strokes.

One of the most interesting and intriguing 24 holes of competition imaginable.

For not having been to a tourney in so long, you certainly got a treat as your first one back. I've been greenside at playoffs that have just slogged along and you just wish someone would rinse it or yak a putt so we could mercifully be done (the 6-man Wyndham playoff, while unique, definitely fell into this category) but yesterday's was electric. So many ups and downs and punches and counterpunches. It was great to be that close to the action and seeing the competition. But I'll certainly be happy to never have to climb those hills of Caves Valley again. Wasn't so bad yesterday with the clouds and lower temps but Wednesday-Thursday was tough with that heat.

As for the Bryson stuff, I was about 30 feet behind him when he trudged up the hill toward the parking lot. I heard some fan say something and Bryson react but I couldn't discern what was said on either end. The ESPN writer was right there and stopped to talk to the fan so I'm confident he got it right. This business of the fans calling him Brooksie has to freakin stop. And Koepka didn't do any favors by encouraging it with the beer promotion at the Memorial. With as pissed off as Bryson was after that playoff, he could have easily snapped and headed for the rope line to confront the fan and then we'd have really had a story.
You are right, those hills are no joke. TV doesn't really show it.

Yeah I read the article about the Bryson/Fan interaction. I agree it should stop.

I'm not a Bryson hater, I admire his game and what he is doing for the game but he is a bit of a douche. I would say up until this year Koepka was my fave, but he's not walking his talk anymore. Maybe it's the knee, I don't know, but he needs to shut up and win. And you are right, he fueled the crap with Bryson. It took Stricker to calm that situation down, but the idiotic fans want to provoke. Why can't everyone just grow up?

Maybe I will start a an OT thread asking people to identify their fave golfer and why. ?

Yeah I read the article about the Bryson/Fan interaction. I agree it should stop.

I'm not a Bryson hater, I admire his game and what he is doing for the game but he is a bit of a douche. I would say up until this year Koepka was my fave, but he's not walking his talk anymore. Maybe it's the knee, I don't know, but he needs to shut up and win. And you are right, he fueled the crap with Bryson. It took Stricker to calm that situation down, but the idiotic fans want to provoke. Why can't everyone just grow up?

Maybe I will start a an OT thread asking people to identify their fave golfer and why. ?
If the USA, by some miracle, wins it will be interesting to watch the two interact in the celebration.

I really had no rooting interest either way on who I wanted to win until hole #14 and Bryson pulled that douche move. I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt, but yesterday kind of did it for me. He could have gone about it in a much "nicer" way and it really rubbed me the wrong way. I went full blown for Cantlay after that. I can't believe Cantlay played that well after that as I would have been fuming. Just goes to show you how focused some of these guys can be.

If the USA, by some miracle, wins it will be interesting to watch the two interact in the celebration.
Or if they lose (likely) and one of them loses a key match, misses a key putt kind of thing.

Cantlay said later he didn't Bryson telling him to stop walking. He said he was walking to get a head start since Bryson's play is typically slower. Plus the fact Bryson was out driving him all day, he was constantly behind him.

Reactions: Obliviax
Criticism of Speith's personality is groundless. They polled the tour players and he was voted the nicest guy on tour. That said he was a slow poke but has sped up the past few years.

I'm no fan of BD, but I dislike Brooks even more. His schtick about "not being a golfer, but a real athlete" and "I have 0 idea how many hole in ones I have had" also his very untruthful "I don't even practice golf, the only times I play are when I am on TV," is getting so old. He is basically a steakhead athlete that thinks he is better than the sport. I get he only likes to win majors because "they get his attention," how magnanimous of him, but yeah, he would need to win a lot more to satisfy his ego. Def start an OT thread about fave golfers, sounds fun. Golf has become my favorite sport second to college football to watch.

I'm no fan of BD, but I dislike Brooks even more. His schtick about "not being a golfer, but a real athlete" and "I have 0 idea how many hole in ones I have had" also his very untruthful "I don't even practice golf, the only times I play are when I am on TV," is getting so old. He is basically a steakhead athlete that thinks he is better than the sport. I get he only likes to win majors because "they get his attention," how magnanimous of him, but yeah, he would need to win a lot more to satisfy his ego. Def start an OT thread about fave golfers, sounds fun. Golf has become my favorite sport second to college football to watch.
Even the great ones are humbled in golf. Look no further than Tiger Woods. Brooks will get his.

Reactions: ram2020
Cantlay made 538 feet of putts last week, not including the playoff. That's an average of making a 7 and a half footer for 72 straight holes. More than impressive, hope he saved a few for Whistling Straights.

Cantlay made 538 feet of putts last week, not including the playoff. That's an average of making a 7 and a half footer for 72 straight holes. More than impressive, hope he saved a few for Whistling Straights.
Hopefully his putts are straight at the Straits! ⛳️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT