ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Masters Week

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
per usual, the course looks incredible. Scheffler comes in hot having won two of his last three tournaments and tying for second, one stroke off, on the other. The other favorite is Rahm but he went to LIV and hasn't played much. Koepka, also with LIV, always comes to play. Rory, Wyndham Clark, Hovland, Niemann, and Lowry always seem to come to the top. The kid that won last week, Akshay Bhatia could ride a wave as the guy he beat in the playoff (who birdied 8 of the last 9 holes for a backside 28 only to chunk an easy pitch into the water on the first playoff hole) Denny McCarthy could ride the hot steaks into Augusta. But Augusta's pressure typically has a way of rooting out the pretenders and the best of the best rise to the top.

My bet is that Rahm repeats.

Reactions: ItsAllGoodMan
per usual, the course looks incredible. Scheffler comes in hot having won two of his last three tournaments and tying for second, one stroke off, on the other. The other favorite is Rahm but he went to LIV and hasn't played much. Koepka, also with LIV, always comes to play. Rory, Wyndham Clark, Hovland, Niemann, and Lowry always seem to come to the top. The kid that won last week, Akshay Bhatia could ride a wave as the guy he beat in the playoff (who birdied 8 of the last 9 holes for a backside 28 only to chunk an easy pitch into the water on the first playoff hole) Denny McCarthy could ride the hot steaks into Augusta. But Augusta's pressure typically has a way of rooting out the pretenders and the best of the best rise to the top.

My bet is that Rahm repeats.
The 9 year old son of a former pro at our club qualified for the pitch, putt, and drive competition that was held earlier this week.

Took a flyer on Brian Harman. Augusta sets up well for lefties, and he has been solid. Good value on him. On a side note, he lives in St Simons Ga. Great spot if you’ve never been.

Reactions: Obliviax
He's got some great health and travel tips. I've never, ever, heard anyone say a bad word about him.
He played in a charity scramble at our club in the late 90s. I can tell you from meeting him that he has a no nonsense take charge personality.

88 and he could pass for about 65. What a legend.
Serious question. I saw Jack tee hit his drive but was getting able to bend over and place his own tee in the ground? He didn't look very steady walking in.

Sadly these legends won't be able to do this much longer.

Serious question. I saw Jack tee hit his drive but was getting able to bend over and place his own tee in the ground? He didn't look very steady walking in.

Sadly these legends won't be able to do this much longer.
Jack teed up his own ball and even grabbed his tee after he hit. After he bent over to tee up his ball he quipped something like "Well, that's the hard part." I thought he looked better than I expected.

Jack teed up his own ball and even grabbed his tee after he hit. After he bent over to tee up his ball he quipped something like "Well, that's the hard part." I thought he looked better than I expected.
Yep. At 84.

I picked a good one. Harman shot a 47 on the back nine yesterday to finish +9. Move me to the members tees, and I probably beat that nine holes.

• Wow
I caddied at Scioto CC, Jack's home course growing up, from the mid 60s to early 70s. I was lucky enough to caddy for Jack in August 1971. He was in town and played 9 holes with a Scioto club member. Jackie Jr. and the member's son also played. I got $20 for the nine holes. The 9 hole going rate back then carrying a single bag was $2.

At the 1963 PGA, Jack won the long driving contest with a 341 yard drive. A few years ago, Lee Trevino was doing a sit down interview at a breakfast gathering. He said if Jack was young today and played with today's equipment, he'd be chipping back to the par 4s.

Look at what you can do with an Apple VR headset and the Masters app. Very cool.

• Love
I caddied at Scioto CC, Jack's home course growing up, from the mid 60s to early 70s. I was lucky enough to caddy for Jack in August 1971. He was in town and played 9 holes with a Scioto club member. Jackie Jr. and the member's son also played. I got $20 for the nine holes. The 9 hole going rate back then carrying a single bag was $2.

At the 1963 PGA, Jack won the long driving contest with a 341 yard drive. A few years ago, Lee Trevino was doing a sit down interview at a breakfast gathering. He said if Jack was young today and played with today's equipment, he'd be chipping back to the par 4s.
Good God. A 341 yard drive back in 1963 with the equipment they played with is just mind boggling. I knew Jack hit it a long, long way but just WOW thinking about that drive

I have a small Jack Nicklaus caddy story. I caddied part of one summer at Nicklaus' muirfield golf course. One day there was an event where Jack played three holes with each corporate group. On the 14th hole he was playing in the group that I was caddying in. From the tee it was about 210 yds to the creek on that hole and the ground was rock hard on a summer day. My golfer in typical conditions couldn't hit his five wood more than 175 or 180 yards. However the tee was elevated and because the ground was so hard I was afraid that my golfer might hit a good shot and dribble it into the creek. I told my golfer to hit his five wood two club lengths from behind the tee markers. Jack Nicklaus laughed and said just go ahead and hit the ball from between the tee markers. Sure enough, the golfer hit his best shot of the day and the ball dribbled into the creek.

Also, I would add that I caddied several times at scioto golf course, and it is one of my favorite golf courses if not my favorite of all time. Very fair, yet challenging.

I have a small Jack Nicklaus caddy story. I caddied part of one summer at Nicklaus' muirfield golf course. One day there was an event where Jack played three holes with each corporate group. On the 14th hole he was playing in the group that I was caddying in. From the tee it was about 210 yds to the creek on that hole and the ground was rock hard on a summer day. My golfer in typical conditions couldn't hit his five wood more than 175 or 180 yards. However the tee was elevated and because the ground was so hard I was afraid that my golfer might hit a good shot and dribble it into the creek. I told my golfer to hit his five wood two club lengths from behind the tee markers. Jack Nicklaus laughed and said just go ahead and hit the ball from between the tee markers. Sure enough, the golfer hit his best shot of the day and the ball dribbled into the creek.

Also, I would add that I caddied several times at scioto golf course, and it is one of my favorite golf courses if not my favorite of all time. Very fair, yet challenging.
I cosponsored a client to go to an outing hosted by Jack. My client was standing in a deep trap at the edge of a green. He looks up and here comes Jack. He says to Jack, ‘don’t come here in the trap, I am nervous enough as it is without having Jack Nicholas watching me!’ Jack laughed, gave him a tip, and my client hit a nice shot. Later, over dessert and coffee, my client sees the chair next to him bring pulled out and he looks over to see Jack. Jack sits down and says ‘you have me a great laugh. Now you know how I feel when I have to address titans of industry like you!’ My client really appreciated it and his photo with Jack is one of his most cherished possessions.

Good guy and fantastic ball striker. I wonder, between Scheffler and Ben Hogan, who was the better ball striker with the irons.
Serious question. What does being a fantastic ball striker mean? I hear that term a lot in golf lately, and I have golfed for a long time, but I’m not clear as to what it really means.

Serious question. What does being a fantastic ball striker mean? I hear that term a lot in golf lately, and I have golfed for a long time, but I’m not clear as to what it really means.
Driving and approaches. Basically, parts of the game outside the short game.

Reactions: NewEra 2014
I don't remember hearing this before, the Masters doesn't charge CBS/ESPN a penny for TV rights. It is estimated that the Masters could sell those rights for $125 million!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't remember hearing this before, the Masters doesn't charge CBS/ESPN a penny for TV rights. It is estimated that the Masters could sell those rights for $125 million!
And a year to year contract…basically, do things our way, or we’ll head elsewhere (and how they retain so much control over everything).

Augusta National could charge so much more for tickets, parking, and concessions too…it’s the opposite of price gouging at the tournament.

What does being a fantastic ball striker mean?
Erial gave a good answer. I would add that a fantastic ball striker hits the ball very cleanly and powerfully as opposed to some players who don't hit the ball that well compared to others on the tour (think Jordan Spieth even in prime) but score well because of course management and putting and chipping. It appears to be easy for Sheffler to hit irons in the 140 yd to 180 yd range within 15 feet of the hole. Not that easy for the vast majority of pros.

Reactions: NewEra 2014
I saw $270 million. Had no idea it was this way. I have been around golf for a long time and never knew this before.

And a year to year contract…basically, do things our way, or we’ll head elsewhere (and how they retain so much control over everything).

Augusta National could charge so much more for tickets, parking, and concessions too…it’s the opposite of price gouging at the tournament.
The Masters makes many demands, like limiting the time of commercials. There are only 3 advertisers (IBM, Mercedes and ATT) and CBS supposedly charges them only enough to cover their broadcast costs.

Reactions: Op2 and Obliviax
The Masters makes many demands, like limiting the time of commercials. There are only 3 advertisers (IBM, Mercedes and ATT) and CBS supposedly charges them only enough to cover their broadcast costs.
And you better call them "patrons" and not the "gallery" or God forbid say "fans". And Gary McCord got blackballed from the Masters broadcasts by saying ..."I don't think they mow these greens, I think they bikini wax them."

Driving and approaches. Basically, parts of the game outside the short game.
Agreed. The best golfers are those that consistently "strike" the ball the same regardless of Driver, 3, 5, 3i~9i, PW, SW and whatever he/she has in the bag. Good golfers, not those on the tour, know what club to use when they get the yardage. There is little difference between a player that uses an 8 iron from 170 yards to one that uses a 6 iron. If you are on the tour, you need to be able to stop it so the additional height can be helpful. (say a pin that is 6 paces behind a bunker but two paces in front of a steep slope where the ball will leak off the back.

And that is where the masters comes in. Those greens were so freaking fast the difference between a good and bad shot was often just a couple of yards. Scottie won with superior course management. Often, what looked like a good landing spot was bad. Sometimes, the golfers needed to aim further away from the pin to be successful. #12, the 159-yard par three, is a perfect example. There was almost no way to go for the pin. You had to aim for the area between the two bunkers which is a very small landing area. Homa lost it when his ball bounced into the brush behind the green.

The great thing about the Masters is that it is played on the same course every year (every other major changes venue). After watching for several years, you get a feel for it. Golf Channel did a great job of showing how you need to approach the green on every hole. Every shot placement is critical.

So Scheffler was making pin-point shots no matter what club he was using. Brandel Chamblee, love him or hate him, predicted Scheffler would win going away before the tournament because he had won two of the three prior tournaments even when the courses were not set up well for him.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Was shocked how few commercials there were while watching final round last nine holes…..prime time for the tournament viewer ratings. Made it far more enjoyable.

NFL…..you paying attention? Cut commercials in half but charge double. Far better viewing.

Back to golf. One announcer said that DeChambleau uses irons that are 3D printed and cost $10,000 a piece. I was surprised that 3D was that good that a top golfer would use it over the best traditionally made clubs.

Found this……

If you weren't watching the Masters Sunday morning, you missed Woods struggling to get through the fourth round. The announcers said that the caddies feel that the Augusta is the second most challenging course to walk (to Kapalua) on tour. It was tough to watch Woods and one has to wonder if he can recover enough to play competitively over four rounds. Regardless, Sunday was Verne Lundquists final Masters. He's 84 and has had several iconic calls like Jack's long putt in '86 (Yes Sir!) and Tiger's incredible chip in on 16 (In Your LIFE...). (he also called Christian Laetner's shot for Kentucky).

Anyway, before Verne went up into the tower for the network broadcast, he was on the course watching as golf channel covered the early pairings. They got a great video of him sitting behind Tiger as Tiger waited to play. Afterward, Tiger climbed the hill and said hello to Verne. Pretty cool moment.

Was shocked how few commercials there were while watching final round last nine holes…..prime time for the tournament viewer ratings. Made it far more enjoyable.

NFL…..you paying attention? Cut commercials in half but charge double. Far better viewing.

Back to golf. One announcer said that DeChambleau uses irons that are 3D printed and cost $10,000 a piece. I was surprised that 3D was that good that a top golfer would use it over the best traditionally made clubs.

Found this……

Those clubs got "approved" for PGA play on Tuesday! Bryson plays on the LIV tour. On the golf channel, they were saying that Bryson saw all of the "gear effect" drivers and woods being played and wondered why they weren't used for irons. For those that don't know, gear affect clubs have a rounded face designed so that if you mishit them, it minimizes the slice/draw. BD kind of fell apart on Sat and early on Sunday but this could have a profound effect on golf equipment moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT