ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru predicts no Alabama...or SEC...in playoff

Looking ahead to who?
We were against Indiana. That happens when you play elite teams unlike Texas did this year aside from Bama
Why are you ignoring Texas losing to OU?

Texas is a lock. It all comes down to Alabama versus FSU now. Whichever way it goes, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth throughout the land, which is a fitting note for the 4-team system to go out on.

I still think Palm has it right.

Because Booger talked about deserving and even said it which isn't the job of the committee. The committee is to find the best 4 teams. Not the most deserving.
The four best teams, the teams with the best playmakers and best offenses and defenses, are Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State in my opinion. I think Florida State is a sham. I think Penn State would easily beat them. Washington played all year against cupcake defenses.

Reactions: LandoComando
Texas is a lock. It all comes down to Alabama versus FSU now. Whichever way it goes, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth throughout the land, which is a fitting note for the 4-team system to go out on.

I still think Palm has it right.
Texas isn't a lock. Doesn't mean they won't get in. I still think there's no historical evidence to drop Georgia out. This isn't as easy as people want it to be.

Palm may have it right but the truth is most people here just want the SEC to be left out. There's no chance anyone watched the SECCG yesterday and thought those aren't two of the best 4 teams. If so, stop watching football

Reactions: Gitzit
The four best teams, the teams with the best playmakers and best offenses and defenses, are Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State in my opinion. I think Florida State is a sham. I think Penn State would easily beat them. Washington played all year against cupcake defenses.
Are you saying those are the four teams that should be in the playoffs? If so, then why play the season out? Just start the season with these four playing the playoffs and save everyone else a lot of time and money.

Are you saying those are the four teams that should be in the playoffs? If so, then why play the season out? Just start the season with these four playing the playoffs and save everyone else a lot of time and money.
Because the season indicated they were the best. People acting like 1 loss teams can't be better than FSU is crazy. People acting like Texas beating Bama and then Bama beating Georgia proves that's how they should be ranked are delusional. Texas lost to OU. They all have 1 loss. Compare the full resumes. Texas is third. Just like FSU isn't close to any of them. Ohio State losing to Michigan and beating us has as good as a case as anyone

After watching Alabama Georgia yesterday I would say they are the two best teams, they look like NFL teams. I think Washington would give them a good game with their OL.
I would like to see, Alabama, Washington, FSU, Michigan in that order.
It would be funny yo see the SEC left out though.

Reactions: LandoComando
This and you have many people agreeing with you but, unfortunately for a couple of them, only two can make the playoffs. And the results of the Michigan-OSU and Georgia-Alabama reenforces your statements. Both games were close and down to the wire

Texas isn't a lock. Doesn't mean they won't get in. I still think there's no historical evidence to drop Georgia out. This isn't as easy as people want it to be.

Lando, you're the only guy in the universe who thinks Georgia has even a remote chance to make the field.

Listen, this is now a no-lose proposition for me. If Alabama gets in, then Michigan has to beat both Alabama and Texas in order to win the whole enchilada...and they have to do it without stealing signs or assistance from friendly zebras. I don't think they can.

But if Florida State gets the nod over Alabama, then we get to listen to the SEC-worshippers and Bama fans wailing and shrieking about the Unthinkable Injustice Of It All.

Bama has victories over 4 ranked teams, including #1. Don't go by how you feel, look at us in 2016 beating OSU and being left out. Even Urban Meyer said we should have been in.

But that’s the exact point. I disagreed with Washington over us in 2016 but they got in and set a precedent- teams with fewer losses get in over ones with more losses. They Committee has been very consistent in using that as a primary consideration as well as rating conference championship game winners over non winners.

So the Committee needs to be consistent with what they have always done and have FSU in there. Otherwise, the entire selection process would viewed as completely arbitrary (much more than it currently is) and simply biased towards certain teams and conferences.

Do people think that the Big 12 and ACC oriented people on the Committee want to set up a precedent where SEC teams get in over teams from their conferences who have better records?

Reactions: Mufasa94 and Jerry
Lando, you're the only guy in the universe who thinks Georgia has even a remote chance to make the field.

Listen, this is now a no-lose proposition for me. If Alabama gets in, then Michigan has to beat both Alabama and Texas in order to win the whole enchilada...and they have to do it without stealing signs or assistance from friendly zebras. I don't think they can.

But if Florida State gets the nod over Alabama, then we get to listen to the SEC-worshippers and Bama fans wailing and shrieking about the Unthinkable Injustice Of It All.
I'm not--there was a post yesterday by a "expert" that had them at 3. Remember no team that went into CCG weekend ranked #1 has ever missed the playoff so why is Georgia dropping 5 spots? It's unheard of. Just like 7 and 8 getting into the playoff

I hope the SEC gets left out because I believe that gets me exactly what I want within 5 years.

It's weird but maybe predictable the same people that claim we should have been in over Washington in 2016 (which we should have) are arguing for FSU to be included. Illogical but...
But Washington got in. So now you are being illogical with your non stop BS about Bama.

Reactions: doctornick
But Washington got in. So now you are being illogical with your non stop BS about Bama.
But Washington shouldn't have
Just like FSU shouldn't now. If you argued for Penn State then you need to be arguing for Bama now--otherwise you're a hypocrite.

We all know if Georgia/Bama get in at 3/4 we'll get an all SEC title game and that's why people don't want them in. It has nothing to do with deserving or resume or anything else. It has to do with the SEC being elite and people want to see someone else win.

Historical evidence notwithstanding, what is Georgia's best win? A wildly overrated Missouri? Did I miss their signature win?

Exactly. They’ve consistently let in teams that “seem” weaker because those teams have fewer losses. TCU last year was another example - they could have taken “better” teams that looked stronger but went with the team with fewer losses.

There’s no reason for the Committee to break with that precedent now especially when the team getting let out would be one that is undefeated.

One loss separates the teams, right?
Why does undefeated matter? Does it matter for Liberty?
Having a clean sheet matters more than comparing a 1 loss team to a 2 loss team, particularly when the 1 loss team, Wash, played 3 catholic choir groups in non conf when PSU played Pitt. It is apples and oranges but I don't expect you to understand nuance.

Historical evidence notwithstanding, what is Georgia's best win? A wildly overrated Missouri? Did I miss their signature win?
Georgia has zero shot obviously. There are 5 power five champs with 0 or 1 loss. The Committee won’t even need to mention any non champions in their discussion of who will be the four playoff teams

But that’s the exact point. I disagreed with Washington over us in 2016 but they got in and set a precedent- teams with fewer losses get in over ones with more losses. They Committee has been very consistent in using that as a primary consideration as well as rating conference championship game winners over non winners.

So the Committee needs to be consistent with what they have always done and have FSU in there. Otherwise, the entire selection process would viewed as completely arbitrary (much more than it currently is) and simply biased towards certain teams and conferences.

Do people think that the Big 12 and ACC oriented people on the Committee want to set up a precedent where SEC teams get in over teams from their conferences who have better records?

Agreed but keep in mind there's always been a political element to college football polls....whether now with the CFP or going back to when the writers and coaches voted to pick a champ...and there've always been people inventing bullshit criteria on the spot to justify whatever vote they want to cast.

I remember in 1989 when Notre Dame played arguably the toughest schedule in the history of college football, defeating 3 or 4 conference champs with their single loss being to Miami. They finished 2nd to the Canes that year as all the talking heads sermonized about the sacred quality of the head-to-head matchup.

Then exactly four years later, in 1993, the Irish compiled another 1-loss season while beating supposedly unbeatable Florida State in late November. After Notre Dame won its bowl game, they were again voted 2nd...to Florida State. Suddenly the head-to-head result wasn't decisive.

And then there's our own sorry history getting the short end of the stick due to politics. This is why Alabama still may make the field this year...because the politics favor the Tide.

Reactions: GSPMax
Having a clean sheet matters more than comparing a 1 loss team to a 2 loss team, particularly when the 1 loss team, Wash, played 3 catholic choir groups in non conf when PSU played Pitt. It is apples and oranges but I don't expect you to understand nuance.
See Liberty--it's not about a clean sheet--it's about the entire resume
You're saying nuance because you know when you compare everything FSU doesn't have an argument without Travis. We all know it. Some admit it but still want them in because they think it's about deserve. Then others, like you, refuse to admit it because you can't handle the argument.

I have a sick feeling we are playing Liberty.

Selection show is today at 2:30

I have a sick feeling we are playing Liberty.

Selection show is today at 2:30

we’ve eaten the shitty g5 matchup once already. Let one of the schools that hasn’t do it. Mizzou-Liberty has a nice ring to it. UGA-Liberty has a nice story line. Lando’s #1 vs a 13-0 squad.

They have none. Their schedule was a joke and they are living in past success. They are out. Ohio state has a better shot and they have none

we’ve eaten the shitty g5 matchup once already. Let one of the schools that hasn’t do it. Mizzou-Liberty has a nice ring to it. UGA-Liberty has a nice story line. Lando’s #1 vs a 13-0 squad.
Georgia's backups vs Liberty is further evidence playoff expansion is awesome

They have wins over Missouri and Ole Miss--which is better than anything FSU has, right?
Missouri lost to LSU who Florida state crushed and also needed a fg with 5 seconds left to beat Florida who Florida state also beat. Missouri is vastly over rated in a down sec

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT