ADVERTISEMENT

Football Bowl projections for Penn State Football entering week 12

Well, a lot to unpack here. At issue is if both UM and tOSU make the playoff then PSU is the top B1G team available for the NY6 games. It is also possible that UM is barred from post-season play and that would made PSU the top B1G seed again. What would hurt is if the loser of the UM tOSU game doesn't make it we'll be the second seed from the B1G (assuming UM is eligible). I'd love to see us play AL or Washington. That would be a big game and could elevate the program if we won.

Reactions: PennSt8er
Must be a lot of teams in that bowl game.
"Best Team That Can't Beat UM/tOSU Depends Fresh Protection Bowl"

0003600048456_A

Well, a lot to unpack here. At issue is if both UM and tOSU make the playoff then PSU is the top B1G team available for the NY6 games. It is also possible that UM is barred from post-season play and that would made PSU the top B1G seed again. What would hurt is if the loser of the UM tOSU game doesn't make it we'll be the second seed from the B1G (assuming UM is eligible). I'd love to see us play AL or Washington. That would be a big game and could elevate the program if we won.
The vibe I get from this year’s team is that they won’t be too interested in playing a bowl game. Unfortunately, I don’t see Penn State beating a team like WA or AL, or the game being very close. We might beat a Tulane, but no guarantees this year.

I hope when I die that soon after Penn State listens to the idiots that aren't happy with 10-2 and a NY6 Bowl Game. Maybe some of you will then see that 10-2, no matter who you lose to, is a damn good season. Starting next year the 10-2 will get you in the playoff every year and once you do that, you always have a shot.

****ing pathetic that some of you call yourselves fans.

I hope when I die that soon after Penn State listens to the idiots that aren't happy with 10-2 and a NY6 Bowl Game. Maybe some of you will then see that 10-2, no matter who you lose to, is a damn good season. Starting next year the 10-2 will get you in the playoff every year and once you do that, you always have a shot.

Not guaranteed that 10-2 would get us in this year in a 12 team playoff.

Reactions: LandoComando

Excellent outrage. I give it a 7 out of 10. It’s good to competitive and better than 2-10 I agree.

Reactions: Springcity

Well said. We are very fortunate. We are the only solid respected college football program in the northeastern United States! And we are damn close to being elite.

Reactions: Texas Lion
I seriously doubt that UM will be barred from post season play.

I also doubt that any conference will get 2 teams in the playoffs.

BiG winner (UM or OSU)
SEC winner (Ga)
PAC 12 winner (Oregon or Wash)
ACC winner (FL St)

A 1 loss Big 12 winner would go before a 1 loss non winner from another conference.

Reactions: psu00 and Obliviax
If Alabama and Ohio State do not make the playoff then they will try to match them up. It seems we are in a New Years 6 game according to the experts.

Probably our best match up is an Ole Miss. A no win situation against Tulane. We will lose versus a Oregon, Bama and probably UDub so all more attractive matchups but we won't like the outcome.

If Alabama and Ohio State do not make the playoff then they will try to match them up. It seems we are in a New Years 6 game according to the experts.

Probably our best match up is an Ole Miss. A no win situation against Tulane. We will lose versus a Oregon, Bama and probably UDub so all more attractive matchups but we won't like the outcome.
Agree but I think we match up pretty well with the west coast teams. I think they will be favored but they'll have to figure out how to deal with a real defense, which they haven't seen all season. The only team with a defense in the pac 12 is Utah and they are on their third or fourth QB right now. Oregon would be the most difficult, IMHO.

As in you have family on the team or you identify the team as your family?
As in our family grew up at games. Divorced parents so we got two different tailgates. About always talking about them, making each and every game an event. Do we get mad? Yes. Do we get pissy? Yes. Do we want them to beat Ohio state and Michigan every time? Yes. But never enough to really bitch about being 10-2 and in NY6.

Reactions: b&w1987

It depends on who plays. Maybe Nix decides not to play if it's not a championship game.

As in our family grew up at games. Divorced parents so we got two different tailgates. About always talking about them, making each and every game an event. Do we get mad? Yes. Do we get pissy? Yes. Do we want them to beat Ohio state and Michigan every time? Yes. But never enough to really bitch about being 10-2 and in NY6.
Most people that I know who are unhappy are not unhappy about the Win Loss Record, but rather they are unhappy based on being uncompetitive against OSU and Michigan and the fact that there is no improvement from year to year. In both games, the score was a lot closer than the game really was. In both games, the offense looked terrible. Once again, we demonstrated that we cannot beat OSU and Michigan and the difference between us and them is significant. Michigan is not getting top 5 recruiting classes year in and year out, but the players have been coached up and developed to beat OSU and Penn State fairly easily the past two years, win the Big Ten title, and get to the Playoffs. We have the #1 QB recruit from two years ago and he does not look good. We have the #1 RB recruit from two years ago and he took a significant step back this year. The play calling has been predictable and uninspiring. And when you have a Head Coach who treats Penn State Football as a family rather than a business, you are going to have a lot of unhappy people when you put all of those facts together.

Agree but I think we match up pretty well with the west coast teams. I think they will be favored but they'll have to figure out how to deal with a real defense, which they haven't seen all season. The only team with a defense in the pac 12 is Utah and they are on their third or fourth QB right now. Oregon would be the most difficult, IMHO.
Agreed. We're better than Ole Miss, UW and Oregon and would beat any of those teams in the regular season. It's all about motivation in the bowl game. Who knows how we'll play.

Agreed. We're better than Ole Miss, UW and Oregon and would beat any of those teams in the regular season. It's all about motivation in the bowl game. Who knows how we'll play.
I'll give you Ole Miss but not Oregon or UDub. Our defense can keep us in games but our offense stinks. Maybe these Pac 12 defenses are bad so our offense can do some things that it has not been able to.

It does depend a lot on opt outs. For example, if Nix or Penix opt out then our shot goes up dramatically but then it is not a real test and gets back to the issue that with opt outs these bowl games are just meaningless.

Most people that I know who are unhappy are not unhappy about the Win Loss Record, but rather they are unhappy based on being uncompetitive against OSU and Michigan and the fact that there is no improvement from year to year. In both games, the score was a lot closer than the game really was. In both games, the offense looked terrible. Once again, we demonstrated that we cannot beat OSU and Michigan and the difference between us and them is significant. Michigan is not getting top 5 recruiting classes year in and year out, but the players have been coached up and developed to beat OSU and Penn State fairly easily the past two years, win the Big Ten title, and get to the Playoffs. We have the #1 QB recruit from two years ago and he does not look good. We have the #1 RB recruit from two years ago and he took a significant step back this year. The play calling has been predictable and uninspiring. And when you have a Head Coach who treats Penn State Football as a family rather than a business, you are going to have a lot of unhappy people when you put all of those facts together.
Very well said. Some people will argue that we were competitive vs OSU and Michigan this year but I agree we were not. Both games you could just sense we were not going to win and we put up garbage time TDs to make it look closer.

The offense is an embarrassment and you can't draw any other conclusions then we can't develop players nor construct a game plan that utilizes our talent while exploiting vulnerabilities of the opponent. Why is Drew Allar not further along in his development? He was a 5 star recruit and is almost 2 years into the program. Nick Singleton, looks like a 3 star guy, has regressed. Tight ends are okay but should be doing more and should have starred vs OSU and Michigan yet they really make no key plays. The WRs??? A bunch of 4 star guys and not one, not one is really a true #1 B10 receiver. KLS is okay but not as good as our past #1s, Washington, Dotson, Hamler. Then absolutely no depth, none. Pathetic. These coaches are not developing the talent yet Michigan does, Ohio State does. You don't see them totally underperforming on offense.

Last edited:
I agree, there are issues. I think losing leads in 2017 and 2018 vs Ohio State set the program back a little because at that point we should have beaten them three years in a row.
I agree with almost 100% of what you said. My point is, there are a lot of people that would love to be Penn State.

I seriously doubt that UM will be barred from post season play.

I also doubt that any conference will get 2 teams in the playoffs.

BiG winner (UM or OSU)
SEC winner (Ga)
PAC 12 winner (Oregon or Wash)
ACC winner (FL St)

A 1 loss Big 12 winner would go before a 1 loss non winner from another conference.
FSU has to go 13-0 to get in 12-1 and they're home
A 1 loss Big XII isn't a lock over a 12-1 Georgia is they lose to Bama.
The Pac XII winner also isn't a lock if unless it's 13-0 Washington. 12-1 Oregon is likely but 12-1 Washington isn't.

Hopefully eventually you do because 10-2 might not get us in the playoff with our non conference schedule and then NY6 isn't a thing. It's just that we failed. Which we're already failing but people can pretend a NY6 Bowl is still important

Well, that’s a neat consolation prize to be excited about - since it’s a by product of not quite being good enough for the 4-team playoff.
the recent happenings with Michigan may have led to the upgrade of these prognostications. If UM cannot participate, PSU would move up to the second B1G seed assuming we win the last two games.

Very well said. Some people will argue that we were competitive vs OSU and Michigan this year but I agree we were not. Both games you could just sense we were not going to win and we put up garbage time TDs to make it look closer.

You don't see them totally underperforming on offense.
I would say that we were competitive on defense, and highly non-competitive on offense. The defense did enough to provide a competent offense with a chance of winning both games. But the overall result is that we were not competitive in both games.

I don't think anybody expects to beat OSU & UM every year but we do expect to win 30% - 40% of those games like we did a decade ago.

I also don't think we've been uncompetitive. We had 2 multi score Q4 leads vs OSU before collapsing in Q4 to lose by 1 pt each time. We led in the 4th qtr vs OSU last year and vs UM 2 yrs ago. We've been competitive in a lot of the games but folded late under pressure.

Hopefully eventually you do because 10-2 might not get us in the playoff with our non conference schedule and then NY6 isn't a thing. It's just that we failed. Which we're already failing but people can pretend a NY6 Bowl is still important
So who are you getting that will get the program over the hump. Who is this mysterious coach that won't have the same problems??

So who are you getting that will get the program over the hump. Who is this mysterious coach that won't have the same problems??
Kirby Smart wasn't a lock but clearly worth the risk
There's guys, Elko and Leipold for example, that I'd absolutely take a shot on. The goal isn't to be mediocre or good. It's to be the best. Hopefully Franklin is that guy. If not, you move on.

Kirby Smart wasn't a lock but clearly worth the risk
There's guys, Elko and Leipold for example, that I'd absolutely take a shot on. The goal isn't to be mediocre or good. It's to be the best. Hopefully Franklin is that guy. If not, you move on.

UGA increased spending to go along with Kirby. Been awhile since anybody posted the numbers, but they were spending 30%+ more than the #2 on recruiting.

I think we have to jump up to the top 5 in that metric and pull some high end ($$$) assistant coaches across the board with JF. No point in spending big money on the HC if you aren't gonna pay his assistant coaches big.

UGA increased spending to go along with Kirby. Been awhile since anybody posted the numbers, but they were spending 30%+ more than the #2 on recruiting.

I think we have to jump up to the top 5 in that metric and pull some high end ($$$) assistant coaches across the board with JF. No point in spending big money on the HC if you aren't gonna pay his assistant coaches big.
Fair but let's not pretend Manny Diaz, for example, jsn't a high end coordinator

Franklin could agree to a modest $500k cut to help afford a top OC.

Reactions: lazydave841
Fair but let's not pretend Manny Diaz, for example, jsn't a high end coordinator

I really like Manny. I think he's done a great job overall, but you can't entirely absolve him of our losses to OSU and Michigan either. Other have contained MHJ better than he has this year and I'd like to think a high end coordinator would have adjusted at some point and forced Carnell Tate to beat us, for example.

His units did contain Michigan better year over year, but they failed to force a turnover AND broke down in key spots in the first half before fatigue and offensive ineptitude mattered.

Some though has to be given since we essentially asked him to be Phil Parker this year, but similar to the offense, he seemed to lack adjustments on the fly.

I really like Manny. I think he's done a great job overall, but you can't entirely absolve him of our losses to OSU and Michigan either. Other have contained MHJ better than he has this year and I'd like to think a high end coordinator would have adjusted at some point and forced Carnell Tate to beat us, for example.

His units did contain Michigan better year over year, but they failed to force a turnover AND broke down in key spots in the first half before fatigue and offensive ineptitude mattered.

Some though has to be given since we essentially asked him to be Phil Parker this year, but similar to the offense, he seemed to lack adjustments on the fly.
The defense played really well against Michigan. When you hold a team in college under 300 yards you shouldn’t lose. If offense did anything they win.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT