ADVERTISEMENT

Brady Berge

RB-Old

Jan 22, 2020
With all the talk of the finals and the MFFs I haven't seen a lot about Berge finishing 3rd. I think it deserves its own thread because it's such an amazing achievement and it's doubly awesome because we never thought we'd see him again. Here's to him continuing to improve and made a deep run at NCAAs!!!

He beat a 2x AA twice this weekend. He finished as the tourney’s 15th highest individual scorer. He did that without making the finals or receiving any MFFs. He got that despite having two matches against a 2x AA.

He scored bonus in 2 of his wins this weekend. He’s 9-2 on the season and 3 of his wins are over AAs. Yeah - he’s done well.

He beat a 2x AA twice today. He finished as the tourney’s 15th highest individual scorer. He did that without making the finals or receiving any MFFs. He got that despite having two matches against a 2x AA.

He scored bonus in 2 of his wins today. He’s 9-2 on the season and 3 of his wins are over AAs. Yeah - he’s done well.
And he made $30 for WFL, right Nash?

Reactions: hlstone
With all the talk of the finals and the MFFs I haven't seen a lot about Berge finishing 3rd. I think it deserves its own thread because it's such an amazing achievement and it's doubly awesome because we never thought we'd see him again. Here's to him continuing to improve and made a deep run at NCAAs!!!
It's especially cool that he wrapped up 3rd against a Hawkeye after the way Marinelli handled him in Iowa City. It looked like coming back had possibly been a mistake that night.

He beat a 2x AA twice this weekend. He finished as the tourney’s 15th highest individual scorer. He did that without making the finals or receiving any MFFs. He got that despite having two matches against a 2x AA.

He scored bonus in 2 of his wins this weekend. He’s 9-2 on the season and 3 of his wins are over AAs. Yeah - he’s done well.
Does he get seeded for NCAA and how?

Reactions: therod and mjmirv
With all the talk of the finals and the MFFs I haven't seen a lot about Berge finishing 3rd. I think it deserves its own thread because it's such an amazing achievement and it's doubly awesome because we never thought we'd see him again. Here's to him continuing to improve and made a deep run at NCAAs!!
He did a heck of a job for a 10 sd

Reactions: RB-Old
I wish I knew how NCAA seeding worked.
Me too. But getting in the top 8 at 157 is a tall order even with his placing and wins. That weight is remarkable in the wrestlers from the other conferences. There’s Deakin at the top and then like 7-8 non Big Ten wrestlers. My sense is Brady will get a 9 or 10. And either of them is really no penalty since in the round of 16 they are kinda wrestling each other no matter who is 7,8,9 or 10.

I remember Cenzo being pretty high on Berge going into last year's tourney.... worse thing occurred so it is cool to see him get to and show up!

I wish I knew how NCAA seeding worked.
This might help a little.

“Here are the initial criteria you need to know, and then we will explain how they are applied:

Head-to-head competition — 25 percent
Quality wins — 20 percent
Coaches Ranking — 15 percent
Results against common opponents — 10 percent
RPI — 10 percent
Qualifying event placement — 10 percent
Win % — 10 percent
Now, what does all that mean? It means there are seven categories used to weigh all 33 qualifiers against each other. Essentially, these numbers are run head-to-head against the entirety of the field 32 times over, which means that every qualifier is assigned a rank within the seeding matrix.”

Reactions: mcpat
Me too. But getting in the top 8 at 157 is a tall order even with his placing and wins. That weight is remarkable in the wrestlers from the other conferences. There’s Deakin at the top and then like 7-8 non Big Ten wrestlers. My sense is Brady will get a 9 or 10. And either of them is really no penalty since in the round of 16 they are kinda wrestling each other no matter who is 7,8,9 or 10.
I suspect you're about right.

Usually coaches' poll is the best if imperfect indicator -- as of 2/20:
1 - Carr -- B12 champ
2 - Deakin -- B10 champ
3 - Teemer -- Pac 12 champ
4 - O'Connor -- ACC 2nd to Scott
5 - Franek -- B12 2nd to Carr
6 - Monday -- EIWA champ
7 - Humphreys -- EIWA 3rd, pinned in semis
8 - Scott -- ACC champ
9 - Young -- B10 4th, lost to Berge 2x
10 - Robb -- B10 5th
11 - Coleman -- pinned by Berge
12 - Lewan -- B10 2nd, beat Berge

Ideally his seed avoids Carr and Deakin until the semis. The rest can be had.

I suspect you're about right.

Usually coaches' poll is the best if imperfect indicator -- as of 2/20:
1 - Carr -- B12 champ
2 - Deakin -- B10 champ
3 - Teemer -- Pac 12 champ
4 - O'Connor -- ACC 2nd to Scott
5 - Franek -- B12 2nd to Carr
6 - Monday -- EIWA champ
7 - Humphreys -- EIWA 3rd, pinned in semis
8 - Scott -- ACC champ
9 - Young -- B10 4th, lost to Berge 2x
10 - Robb -- B10 5th
11 - Coleman -- pinned by Berge
12 - Lewan -- B10 2nd, beat Berge

Ideally his seed avoids Carr and Deakin until the semis. The rest can be had.
You have to figure Berge is going to slot in ahead of Young, Robb, and Coleman, but Lewan will jump ahead of all of them, too. Does Humphreys fall out of the top 9? Does Cerniglia sneak in? Best case might be:

Top 3 as is
4-6 same guys maybe different order
7 Scott
8 Lewan
9 Cerniglia
10 Humphreys
11 Berge

That puts Berge in the Teemer/#6 (Monday) quarter.

Reactions: El-Jefe
You have to figure Berge is going to slot in ahead of Young, Robb, and Coleman, but Lewan will jump ahead of all of them, too. Does Humphreys fall out of the top 9? Does Cerniglia sneak in? Best case might be:

Top 3 as is
4-6 same guys maybe different order
7 Scott
8 Lewan
9 Cerniglia
10 Humphreys
11 Berge

That puts Berge in the Teemer/#6 (Monday) quarter.
That would be perfect imho

Reactions: Split shot
You have to think Scott jumps ahead of O'Connor after beating him at ACCs, as their resumes (at 157) are pretty similar and he has the head-to-head win.

Brady is going to be in the 20's unless they drastically manipulate it. He doesn't qualify for Coaches Rank or RPI, which is going to hurt.

Brady is going to be in the 20's unless they drastically manipulate it. He doesn't qualify for Coaches Rank or RPI, which is going to hurt.
He has more than 5 matches at 157 so he will qualify for a coaches ranking. I think he will be seeded higher than 20 but not by much.

Reactions: hlstone
He has more than 5 matches at 157 so he will qualify for a coaches ranking. I think he will be seeded higher than 20 but not by much.
Shoot, I was thinking of Win %, that's the threshold at 8. 15 for RPI. Good catch.

Brady has three wins over guys ranked in the top 7 in the last coaches ranking, and a SV loss to a guy who was tied with him at 9th.

It's not easy to beat a quality guy twice in two days and he looked pretty fresh. Thank you South Dakota State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT