ADVERTISEMENT

Shayne Van Ness

psu_flip

Jun 30, 2006
First of all, I want to say this is my first time posting. I am a current PSU student (class of 2026) and I’m taking over my dad’s account. I grew up watching the Cael era and I am a diehard college wrestling fan.

I wanted to make this thread because I feel like he doesn’t get the hype he deserves, but this kid is special. I believe he had the best performance on PSU last year at NCAAs, taking 3rd with his only loss was a close one to Yianni. Although he was losing to Miller from UMD and Rooks from IU, his relentless attack on the feet and him not giving up showed that he’s the real deal.

Even though he only wrestled 3 matches so far this year, I believe he’s levels above everyone else and should be NCAA favorite at 149. He just looked absolutely viscous on top imposing his will against his opponents and looked like he has put everything together and is ready to go on a tear this season.

I believe Van Ness will finish his career as a multiple NCAA champ and finishes this year as a hodge finalist.

Bold take: Shayne Van Ness will represent the US at the Olympics at 65kg in 2024 if he decides to

What do you guys think?

First of all, I want to say this is my first time posting. I am a current PSU student (class of 2026) and I’m taking over my dad’s account. I grew up watching the Cael era and I am a diehard college wrestling fan.

I wanted to make this thread because I feel like he doesn’t get the hype he deserves, but this kid is special. I believe he had the best performance on PSU last year at NCAAs, taking 3rd with his only loss was a close one to Yianni. Although he was losing to Miller from UMD and Rooks from IU, his relentless attack on the feet and him not giving up showed that he’s the real deal.

Even though he only wrestled 3 matches so far this year, I believe he’s levels above everyone else and should be NCAA favorite at 149. He just looked absolutely viscous on top imposing his will against his opponents and looked like he has put everything together and is ready to go on a tear this season.

I believe Van Ness will finish his career as a multiple NCAA champ and finishes this year as a hodge finalist.

Bold take: Shayne Van Ness will represent the US at the Olympics at 65kg in 2024 if he decides to

What do you guys think?
Welcome!

Great topic for the B1G wrestler of the week. I do ❤️ me some SVN. His pace and pressure is just a spectacle to behold. His opponents this past weekend weren't exactly the kind of competition he'll see in the postseason, but I also have little doubt he's at or above the crazy level he reached starting in the 3rd period vs. Miller in Tulsa. I think he has a great chance at an Olympics, if thats what he wants, but I suspect he doesn't yet have enough Freestyle experience to challenge for the spot this April. Could be wrong, but I think Beau would have a better chance, with his Freestyle background (see WTT last year).

Reactions: NCPsuFan

What do you guys think?
I made the call when we got him that he was 'special'... I am comfortable in my position of being able to say 'I told you so' to anyone that will listen

When you are on a team of superstars it is hard to get hype. He has multiple NCAA championships in his future.

Reactions: therod

What do you guys think?

david-spade-right-on.gif

What do you guys think?
We are all in Flip Jr.

What do you guys think?
giphy.gif

What do you guys think?
You had me until the Olympics comment. LOL. I love me some SVN in the NCAA, not so much vs. Nick Lee or Yianni in FS.

1 - welcome!!!
2 - agree on most points, Shane is special and just emerging from his crysalis.
3 - National champ this year? I like your thinking, Woods is his only competition and he'll get several chances to get it right before March.
4. Olympics this cycle?

Wrong weight class..lol. SVN and Ridge going to be fireworks but of course I got SVN!!

Welcome PSU flips!

I agree, he'll likely be a 2x national champ if not 3x.

BTW, it's quickly becoming apparent that he and Figueroa are the 2021 class headliners. They'll both likely be champs eventually. Hamiti has the next best chance.

He has a bright freestyle future, if he can be patient. Zain isn't done yet. Nick and Yianni are major hurdles. Alirez will also likely be at his weight. He can succeed but it won't be immediate.

Reactions: mjmirv

What do you guys think?
Welcome to the board!

SVN is special. Last year’s 3rd place was after time off recovering from injury. Won’t surprise me at all if he goes 3-1-1-1 and is next in a long line of bonus points masters at PSU.

Like others, though, I think the 2024 Olympic team is unlikely as his main competitors are all-in on freestyle. But I’m not going to say it’s impossible either.

My favorite thing about SVN is that he always seems to be having a good time. I started calling him Shayne Van Happy Ness last year because of it.

Welcome to the board!

SVN is special. Last year’s 3rd place was after time off recovering from injury. Won’t surprise me at all if he goes 3-1-1-1 and is next in a long line of bonus points masters at PSU.

Like others, though, I think the 2024 Olympic team is unlikely as his main competitors are all-in on freestyle. But I’m not going to say it’s impossible either.

My favorite thing about SVN is that he always seems to be having a good time. I started calling him Shayne Van Happy Ness last year because of it.
Happy Ness.

I could get behind that.

One of the characteristics I love about SVN is his constant pressure when he's on top. Seems like he is always exerting most of his weight on his opponent... must be exhausting for the bottom wrestler.

Reactions: nerfstate and mcpat
SVN had Yianni beat in last year’s NCAA tournament. I think the only thing that turned it around was that Yianni had a lot more experience and knew how to capitalize on SVN’s mistakes. If he had won that match, it would have been pretty tough choosing between him and Ramos as to who had the biggest upset.

I'd rank SVN as the most exciting PSU wrestler to watch just ahead of Levi. Brooks and Starocci are almost too good at this point so there's not much competition for them, Bartlett is fun but his attack rate isn't there, Truax and Mesenbrink haven't settled in yet.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
You had me until the Olympics comment. LOL. I love me some SVN in the NCAA, not so much vs. Nick Lee or Yianni in FS.
I’m chomping too see what Bartlett can do as well, he gave Lee all he wanted at WTT. I’d put him in top 3..

Regardless, welcome too the board Mrs. Van Ness 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Welcome to the board!

He didn't seem to be enjoying himself either of the two times he lost last year to the great, Max Murin. Put the pipe down son....

He didn't seem to be enjoying himself either of the two times he lost last year to the great, Max Murin. Put the pipe down son....

Murin wrestled really well last year! Was pretty happy that he got AA after some really tough years, especially since Iowa was basically irrelevant in the team race. Definitely a bad matchup for SVN last year, though I would have liked to see them match up at Nationals, shame Murin lost to Parco and we didn't get to see them go again for 3rd.

GIA bragging rights.- Our senior hammered out a couple decisions against your freshman and earned his first and only AA. Then to top it off, our guy only finished 3 spots lower than your freshman who has 3 more NCAAs to wrestle. Ha. Eat it PSU fans.

Solid first post. You're clearly here to have meaningful discussions.

I actually think Shayne did enjoy himself though, part of the process as a freshman is learning from losing to someone with 4 years of experience on you and enjoying the process. Hence why he ended up placing 3rd to that guy's 6th.

Reactions: mcpat and danoftw
Solid first post. You're clearly here to have meaningful discussions.

I actually think Shayne did enjoy himself though, part of the process as a freshman is learning from losing to someone with 4 years of experience on you and enjoying the process. Hence why he ended up placing 3rd to that guy's 6th.
And how does Murin do if Millner hadn’t have been injured and missed the tournament. He was going to be Murin’s 1st rd oponent and had beaten Murin badly (8-1) the year before. Long way to AA if you lose the 1st match

I’m not sure of the dual, but it was an away meet, Shayne lost, the team was on its way to winning and he was chanting “We Are” with the PennState visiting faithful that had taken over the opposing team’s home arena.

Reactions: Bosox2004
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT