ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wimbush reportedly transferring

He got his ND degree probably not sorry about that. He wasn’t going to beat out Mcsorley.

Hindsight makes that an ez call. But we're talking about the #1 HS QB who committed to PSU -- ala Hackenberg. Ours was a school that desperately needed that commit to work out or it begins to look like WE are the reason allegedly great QB's come to PSU and fail. So every effort to make him the starter would have been made.

And any measure of success would have been trumpeted as "positive growth" and there'd be all this pointing to the future of the program when the kid gains experience. His failures would also be labeled as "positive growth" and something to be expected, part of the learning curve.

Trace would not be in there playing and becoming what he became.

Now maybe CJF sees Trace in practice and after a couple poor efforts from Brandon takes a gamble... but he'd be taking a huge risk with the fan base (unless Trace went out and had a monster game).

Things worked out about as perfectly as they could.. for us!

Hindsight makes that an ez call. But we're talking about the #1 HS QB who committed to PSU -- ala Hackenberg. Ours was a school that desperately needed that commit to work out or it begins to look like WE are the reason allegedly great QB's come to PSU and fail. So every effort to make him the starter would have been made.

And any measure of success would have been trumpeted as "positive growth" and there'd be all this pointing to the future of the program when the kid gains experience. His failures would also be labeled as "positive growth" and something to be expected, part of the learning curve.

Trace would not be in there playing and becoming what he became.

Now maybe CJF sees Trace in practice and after a couple poor efforts from Brandon takes a gamble... but he'd be taking a huge risk with the fan base (unless Trace went out and had a monster game).

Things worked out about as perfectly as they could.. for us!

Good points, N&B. A program looking to rise in perception is almost forced to play its blue-chip talent right away. I think we discussed years ago that not playing Lavar right out of the box just might have negatively impacted recruiting in subsequent years ... [note the word might for there's no way to know for sure].

Anyway, I hope you and your loved ones have a very Merry Christmas!

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Good points, N&B. A program looking to rise in perception is almost forced to play its blue-chip talent right away. I think we discussed years ago that not playing Lavar right out of the box just might have negatively impacted recruiting in subsequent years ... [note the word might for there's no way to know for sure].

Anyway, I hope you and your loved ones have a very Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Bob!

I don't understand the angst here. Wimbush got his ND degree, lost his starting job and is moving on. That's a pretty normal situation for a college QB. Should be interesting to see where he ends up and if he can win a starting job. If he was smart he'd be looking at the ACC or Big XII. Georgia Tech might be a good spot as the transition from Paul Johnson to Geoff Collins.

I don't understand the angst here. Wimbush got his ND degree, lost his starting job and is moving on. That's a pretty normal situation for a college QB. Should be interesting to see where he ends up and if he can win a starting job. If he was smart he'd be looking at the ACC or Big XII. Georgia Tech might be a good spot as the transition from Paul Johnson to Geoff Collins.
Agreed, it’s honestly a miracle that Wimbush left. N&B describes what the climate would have been like very well. Would have been bolden mcgloin redux with everyone pissed off. Even further, does the team even sign mcsorley or give him a chance at an if wimbush is still committed? Probably not. I’m happy Brandon got his degree and I’m thrilled that we got Trace. No need to get emotional about it. Doesn’t seem like anyone made a bad decision here.

Agreed, it’s honestly a miracle that Wimbush left. N&B describes what the climate would have been like very well. Would have been bolden mcgloin redux with everyone pissed off. Even further, does the team even sign mcsorley or give him a chance at an if wimbush is still committed? Probably not. I’m happy Brandon got his degree and I’m thrilled that we got Trace. No need to get emotional about it. Doesn’t seem like anyone made a bad decision here.

McSorley is a class ahead of Wimbush, was already enrolled at PSU during Wimbush's recruitment.

McSorley is a class ahead of Wimbush, was already enrolled at PSU during Wimbush's recruitment.
Thanks... I wasn't sure, either.

It would have made for a more interesting battle as Trace had already seen bowl action and acquitted himself favorably. [I remember thinking when he entered the GA game he was going to get killed and we were in deep doo-doo... proved me very wrong. OK, not earth shattering news, lol]

So you'd have a kid who had shown something positive going against a big name recruit who everyone assumed would lead us to the promised land. I suspect it would have gotten unpleasant on the boards. lol.

Reactions: mcgunns
It was Notre Dame who told him he was making a forty year mistake if hen went to PSU. ND loves to use that line with recruits. I was just pointing out the truth.
The only time I’m aware of that line ever being used was over 25 years ago by Lou Holtz and the school involved was Florida State. Perhaps you are close enough to Mr. Wimbush to know exactly what ND officials told him though I have my doubts. He is a fine young man and an athlete who did QB ND to wins against Michigan and Florida State this year and I personally have no doubt he will have plenty of offers when it comes to choosing where to pursue a graduate degree. Perhaps it’s because I’m an old man who has seen “the truth” pointed out very often over the years that I have come to learn what’s actually being expressed is at best an opinion and at worse a bias.

The only time I’m aware of that line ever being used was over 25 years ago by Lou Holtz and the school involved was Florida State. Perhaps you are close enough to Mr. Wimbush to know exactly what ND officials told him though I have my doubts. He is a fine young man and an athlete who did QB ND to wins against Michigan and Florida State this year and I personally have no doubt he will have plenty of offers when it comes to choosing where to pursue a graduate degree. Perhaps it’s because I’m an old man who has seen “the truth” pointed out very often over the years that I have come to learn what’s actually being expressed is at best an opinion and at worse a bias.

Speaking of which, just about all of your posts are pro-ND, so we might easily surmise your opinion/bias.

What angst? I don't think anyone here is losing sleep over Wimbush transferring.

Speaking of which, just about all of your posts are pro-ND, so we might easily surmise your opinion/bias.
Never claimed not be biased Though I do try to control it and would never claim to be pointing out the truth to anyone on a message board. In this particular case the line in question does not strike me as one that would be particularly effective with recruits, especially those who have decided to go elsewhere. I have never found that insulting anyone’s decisions or making someone angry to be a useful tool in obtaining a desired result.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Never claimed not be biased Though I do try to control it and would never claim to be pointing out the truth to anyone on a message board. In this particular case the line in question does not strike me as one that would be particularly effective with recruits, especially those who have decided to go elsewhere. I have never found that insulting anyone’s decisions or making someone angry to be a useful tool in obtaining a desired result.

You don't do a very good job of controlling it. If your aim is to be the ND advocate on this board, then state your aim and present yourself for what you are. Don't pretend to be a primary PSU guy. Change your name to ND Joe and be done with it.

It's not like we aren't inundated with closet fans of other programs that hang out here.

Reactions: LionJim
Incorrect. Pompous asshat-ery is what is meant by that statement. A degree from Notre Dame is no different from a degree from any other university.
Really???? You could argue whether you learn more at ND or other prestigious school, how close Penn State is to ND in terms of prestige, or even whether that increased cachet is worth the money, but it’s hard to not see the value of a internationally known university/college on your resume.

Reactions: mcgunns
He will be a graduate transfer as he graduated this month. Since the 40 year decision is based on getting a Notre Dame degree, I would say he accomplished that.
Happy he got a degree from nd.Pitt could be a destination for him though or rutgers for sure.

BTW, did you all see this quote by Florida 2020 LB commit, Wingo: "It's more about football to me, and they have shown me this is not a four-year decision, but rather a forty-year decision that will impact the rest of my life. Penn State will prepare me for life after football."

Happy he got a degree from nd.Pitt could be a destination for him though or rutgers for sure.

Pitt? Don't they love Pickett? lol

Teams that I think could be trying to get a QB are Ole Miss, West Virginia, NCSU, Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech, etc

You don't do a very good job of controlling it. If your aim is to be the ND advocate on this board, then state your aim and present yourself for what you are. Don't pretend to be a primary PSU guy. Change your name to ND Joe and be done with it.

It's not like we aren't inundated with closet fans of other programs that hang out here.
I’ve never pretended to be anything anything much less primarily a PSU Guy and I believe Glov would verify that. I aim for nothing more than expressing my thoughts in a rational manner. I also don’t initiate posts on this board. I will respond to certain subjects and when I do another aim is to be as respectful as I can.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I think he ends up in the South like Georgia Tech, Miss State or maybe Louisville. I read that his mom recently moved to Atlanta so i would GT would be a very likely spot for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT