ADVERTISEMENT

Breakout player

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Could it be Omari Evans? PSU needs a WR who can stretch the field and Evens is probably the fastest WR PSU has on the roster.

Could it be Omari Evans? PSU needs a WR who can stretch the field and Evens is probably the fastest WR PSU has on the roster.
That would be great, but from what I've seen of Evans he doesn't look physical enough to make plays when he's covered. I Believe PSU needs a WR to step up that can make contested catches because against the better teams WR's are for the most part covered.

Like the bowl game against MSU. Their QB and WR hooked up a good many times when Cam Miller had very good coverage. A physical WR that just makes plays and catches the ball when pretty well covered. I can't see Evans being that type of player for PSU. Hope I'm wrong....

My bet is Singleton. I think there is going to be an emphasis on the running game with two premier RBs and three excellent TEs. I don't mean they'll be on the field at the same time but it is possible. I see TEs in motion and lots of pre-snap formations trying to create a hole where a LB has to check the motion man. they then run to that gap. If the LB doesn't cover the motion man, a short pass off a play action into that gap.

My bet is Singleton. I think there is going to be an emphasis on the running game with two premier RBs and three excellent TEs. I don't mean they'll be on the field at the same time but it is possible. I see TEs in motion and lots of pre-snap formations trying to create a hole where a LB has to check the motion man. they then run to that gap. If the LB doesn't cover the motion man, a short pass off a play action into that gap.
I'm surprised you would say Singleton. He's already been very good the past two years so I wouldn't categorize him as a breakout candidate. Also keep in mind that PSU lost 3 OL to the NFL.

Who is our 3rd excellent TE? Warren has proved himself. Dinkins has made some plays so he's a possibility. Rappleyea & Reynolds are unproven.

I'm surprised you would say Singleton. He's already been very good the past two years so I wouldn't categorize him as a breakout candidate. Also keep in mind that PSU lost 3 OL to the NFL.

Who is our 3rd excellent TE? Warren has proved himself. Dinkins has made some plays so he's a possibility. Rappleyea & Reynolds are unproven.
Singleton had a bad year last year with only 752 yards rushing (against 1,061 the year before). But I get that this may not fit the "breakout" player classification. Regardless, at TE, I am hearing great things about Rapp but he simply didn't see the field with three excellent TEs in front of them. Reynolds comes in highly regarded but there isn't a lot known about him but he does need to put on some weight in order to block well.

I don't see a great WR on this team unless Flemming shows out. I see a lot of good ones but not great.

So if I am an OC, what would I do? I'd got TE and RB heavy. I'd pound the ball. When I see the safeties cheating up, I try to hit a seam route to my TE. That TE could be tight, out wide or in motion. If I see single coverage on a WR and one that I feel can beat a corner, I make that move. Regardless, I see a more of a game management offense that most others do. I still don't see the downfield game but with addition of Flemming and others coming off of seasons when they were dinged up, who knows.

I think the OL, despite graduation, is just a tad bit worse than last year. And by that I mean we lost one of the best LTs in the nation. But as a group I am pretty comfortable. I say this knowing that the OL is a unit. I don't think defenses attacked at our LT because he was so good. The advantage of the D is that they can go wherever they want where the five OL line up consistently. So the D can pick and chose. The OL is only as good as it's weakest link. I think our run blocking will be better. I think our pass blocking is more concerning. And with that, I think that puts more stress on the WR unit to get open quicker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT