ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
I think Tyson ponied up and UK was not sad to see him go. Who goes to Lexington......Oates, Drew others???

Good move for both parties.

I haven't seen his name mentioned, but I'd think Kelvin Sampson would be near the top of the list.

Good move for both parties.

I haven't seen his name mentioned, but I'd think Kelvin Sampson would be near the top of the list.
Yeah that is one name that could be good. Maybe a little too old. Houston was the victim of bad luck losing Shed in that Duke game or they probably would have played Purdue Saturday.

Yeah that is one name that could be good. Maybe a little too old. Houston was the victim of bad luck losing Shed in that Duke game or they probably would have played Purdue Saturday.
Yea, he's not a 10+ year solution, but it would be really interesting to see what Sampson could do at a school like Kentucky (and seems like all of the stench from Indiana has now wore off of him).

It's not a great time to be looking since so many of the realistic names have signed extensions with big buyouts recently. I can't see Hurley leaving UConn, can't see Kentucky paying a 20 million buyout up front for Lloyd/Otzelberger/Drew, can't see them settling for Pope, can't see Donovan/Wright getting back into college, etc. Maybe someone like Greg McDermott makes sense too.

Yea, he's not a 10+ year solution, but it would be really interesting to see what Sampson could do at a school like Kentucky (and seems like all of the stench from Indiana has now wore off of him).

It's not a great time to be looking since so many of the realistic names have signed extensions with big buyouts recently. I can't see Hurley leaving UConn, can't see Kentucky paying a 20 million buyout up front for Lloyd/Otzelberger/Drew, can't see them settling for Pope, can't see Donovan/Wright getting back into college, etc. Maybe someone like Greg McDermott makes sense too.
Is McDermott the HC @ Creighton?

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Reading that the buyout for UK was $31 million which is beyond insane for a CBB coach. Both UK and Calipari are probably rejoicing right now

I figured out who Lloyd is. Took me a while. I think he would be down a few on their list. He hasn't gotten Arizona to the Final 4 and his teams falter in the Dance.

I think Oates has to be the favorite unless he has some huge buyout. Kentucky basketball is a little like Texas A&M football in terms of shelling out cash.

Maybe Bruce Pearl? Shaka Smart? Mick Cronin returns to the midwest? Would they consider Beard? My sense is no. What about Underwood at Illinois although they think they can do better than that.

Hurley would never leave. UConn is a better gig than Kentucky at this point.

McDermott? Maybe but he is pretty old and seems like a lifer at Creighton.

Yeah I don't see Jay Wright coming out of retirement.

Last edited:
Who is Lloyd?

I think Oates has to be the favorite unless he has some huge buyout. Kentucky basketball is a little like Texas A&M football in terms of shelling out cash.

Maybe Bruce Pearl? Shaka Smart? Mick Cronin returns to the midwest? Would they consider Beard? My sense is no. What about Underwood at Illinois although they think they can do better than that.

Hurley would never leave. UConn is a better gig than Kentucky at this point.

McDermott? Maybe but he is pretty old and seems like a lifer at Creighton.

Yeah I don't see Jay Wright coming out of retirement.
Tommy Llyod is at Arizona.

Oates should have been included in my "has a huge buyout so might not be realistic"...I think I saw that Alabama needs to be paid $18 million if he leaves.

Pearl is in the same boat as Cal in that he hasn't been winning in the postseason.

I can't see them going Smart after he got fired at Texas. He had a great season, but not the hot name that he once was (could get back there with a few more seasons like this one).

Reading that the buyout for UK was $31 million which is beyond insane for a CBB coach. Both UK and Calipari are probably rejoicing right now

My understanding is that he doesn't get the money if he leaves for another job. Therefore, if he's hired by Arkansas, then Kentucky is off the hook.

My understanding is that he doesn't get the money if he leaves for another job. Therefore, if he's hired by Arkansas, then Kentucky is off the hook.
Correct...Cal gets to head elsewhere for a fresh start...Kentucky gets to hire a new coach without having to pay the buyout to get rid of Cal. A bit of a win-win for everyone.

Tommy Llyod is at Arizona.

Oates should have been included in my "has a huge buyout so might not be realistic"...I think I saw that Alabama needs to be paid $18 million if he leaves.

Pearl is in the same boat as Cal in that he hasn't been winning in the postseason.

I can't see them going Smart after he got fired at Texas. He had a great season, but not the hot name that he once was (could get back there with a few more seasons like this one).
$18 million is chump change for UK boosters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT